Car Next Door Questions & Answers

4.1 from 1,189 reviews

20 questions from our users

simonasked

Car Next Door

Ive been told that Car Next Door Owners have fleets of cars ( up to thirty) that they rent. So rather than living "next door" they live elsewhere and the cars take rare inner city parking spots. Given the rather high number of renters claiming that the vehicle they hired was damaged after it was returned, is it possible that frustrated residents are systematically damaging the cars? Don't you think the owners should actually live " next door" and sign out the car on hire and return to prevent disputes about damage and to prevent fleet owners abusing the concept?

Jaysee
Jaysee

I'm sorry Simon, I have no idea. I rented a van that was close to my daughter's apartment, that was my main criteria. I left it in a 2 hour parking zone, which the owner then went to to sort out the parking. I assume that means he lived very close to the drop off point. Living in an inner city area means you regularly can't actually park very near you home.

simon

Thanks Jaysee. No doubt some owners live locally and legitimately rent there car which is fine and a good idea. Also in this instance it would be possible to inspect the car with the owner so when you left you get no unpleasant surprises which a lot of renters seem to get when damage is attributed to them. My point was about people with multiple cars leveraging the concept to the detriment of locals. Additionally most hirers are told to leave the car in areas with no parking restrictions.

Anonymous

Anonymousasked

Car Next Door

How can I contact the damage team? I was promised a call back, and an email back and I have been hung up on and I still have no way to talk to anyone from the damage team. I have been told they don't have a phone number!? Please help!!

Arthur k

Arthur kasked

Car Next Door

Hi, what happens in the event that I hire a car and am driving out in the country and the car or rather the vehicle breaks down, do the vehicles hired, have road insurance?

Kate T.Car Next Door

Hi Arthur, there is free roadside assist from NRMA to help get the car back on the road if possible, but we recommend that you get travel insurance to cover any other costs associated with the interruption to your trip or finding alternative transport in the case of a breakdown.

Mario K

Mario Kasked

Car Next Door

I've tried to list Audi Q7 2017 which value is above $50.000 but I wasn't able to go ahead due to the value of the car been above $50.000. You will not accept card above $50.000 value? Is there any other option?

Kate T.Car Next Door

That's correct, unfortunately for insurance reasons, we can't accept cars that are valued over $50,000.

Zozabu

Zozabuasked

Car Next Door

Hi, for driving to Ballarat from Melbourne city. Will it be cheaper to just rent from big companies or carnextdoor?

Ben
Ben

Car next door will charge you per hour/day plus kilometres, you'd be better off with a big company

Kate T.Car Next Door

It depends on how long you will have the car for, your age, excess reduction, additional drivers and fuel costs. Check out this article to help work it out for your trip: https://support.carnextdoor.com.au/hc/en-gb/articles/360000888806-When-is-Car-Next-Door-cheaper-than-a-hire-car-

Amy Leighton

Amy Leightonasked

Car Next Door

Hi Car Next Door. I am an owner and the installation should have happened a week ago, but the technician didn't have any chains to attach Fred to my house. I was told that CND would be in touch to rebook. That has not occurred. I have called your company twice and I haven't had a response. I have made an enquiry on Facebook this morning (very nicely I might add) and it has been deleted!! Can you PLEASE contact me so that we can finalise this? So far I am horribly disappointed with your customer service.

Disappointed
Disappointed

Hi there, you may be sorely disappointed here also I’m afraid. I’d love to help but you’ve gotten through to a customer of car next door as opposed to the company themselves.

Kate T.Car Next Door

Hi Amy, I'm really sorry for the delay in getting your car live - our installation team has responded separately by phone. I can see that your car is now live and about to go out on its first booking - thank you for your patience with getting started.

rush

These guys are a nightmare - definitely don’t do business with them. They actually harass you for stating you are “not satisfied” you are given a selection of satisfied or not satisfied with their customer service. Have a look at my review where he demanded I change my review. They have this weird approach to owners and customers.

Mary

Maryasked

Car Next Door

How often do you put a 10-day hold ?
I have been using the application for a month, today it asked me to put another $250 as a hold!!!!

Kate T.Car Next Door

HI Mary, we only take the hold twice per borrower. Each hold lasts for 10 days, so if you take more than one trip in the 10 day period the hold will cover all those trips. If you take another trip after the first hold has expired, we'll place another hold then. After that we won't take the hold anymore. If you private message us your full name or email address we can look up your account and confirm if you have any more holds remaining.

Ella

Ellaasked

Car Next Door

We are going Brisbane for holiday. Are eligible to borrow from car next door. How about the insurance? Appreciate your advice.

Kate T.Car Next Door

Hi Ella, when you borrow cars with Car Next Door you're covered by our comprehensive insurance. The standard Damage Cover Liability (which works like an insurance excess) for drivers over 25 is $2000. You can choose to reduce this to $500 for an extra charge per trip or by joining on our Heavyweight plan ($19/month). If you have any more questions about insurance, take a look in our Help Centre: https://carnextdoor.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/sections/201066329-Insurance-for-borrowing-cars

Isobel

Isobelasked

Car Next Door

How do you know someone won't use your designated fuel card to buy fuel for their, or any other, vehicle?

Kate T.Car Next Door

Hi Isobel, we can check the fuel purchase against the trip records to see that it matches the distance, and use the GPS tracking to match the refueling to the car's location at the time.

loosu kat

loosu katasked

Car Next Door

I'm thinking of signing up . I do read that users saying even though its $0.33/km including fuel, the hire cars are mostly empty on fuel when you take it. So you end up filling up tank and paying mileage as well. Is this how it is?

Kate T.Car Next Door

No, not at all! The 33c/km includes the fuel cost. Each driver has to leave the car at least 1/4 tank full. If you need to fill up, you just pay using the fuel card in the car (or if it is missing for any reason, just pay for the fuel and submit the receipt through the app to get reimbursed).

Lindzz

be carefull. i hired a 2008 kia rio for 17 days only used it for local driving i was charged $759.00 plus i found an unaurthorised deduction of $250 (not security bond ) short hires are great but don't make the same mistake i did

marksy12

marksy12asked

Car Next Door

If I borrow a small car for 13 hours and travel 140kms is it cheaper to go to a rental company? CND will charge (say) $30pday + $0.33cpkm = $76 approx

Kate T.Car Next Door

It depends how much you pay for the rental car per day, whether you reduce your excess and how much you pay for fuel (fuel price + the car's fuel consumption per 100km). If you don't reduce your excess and get a cheap small rental car with good fuel consumption then it will probably be cheaper for your trip. You can use the calculator at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XZC0P4uWPzP-qqL-o_A176Ytx6ky60YQEg0JFqV5Maw/edit#gid=0
Also consider whether you need to travel to get the car and whether you can pick up and drop off 24/7 if that is relevant to you.

Dàvid

Dàvid asked

Car Next Door

I am going to Melbourne airport Tullamarine, how about the tolls ,,, who pay ?? How to pay ?? I don’t want to have problems in the future please help

Kate T.Car Next Door

There is an e-tag in the car, so at the end of the month that your trip was taken, any tolls from the trip will be charged to your credit card.

Tiff

Tiffasked

Car Next Door

Does the distance you drive impact the cost for the day for petrol? Looking at hireing for a day but will need to drive From Melbourne CBD to the Yarra Valley and back. and are late drop offs ok?

Paul Hutchison
Paul Hutchison

Yes to both. Just check their website for km charge

Sophie
Sophie

It depends on the amount of km’s you’ll be driving. I think a normal rental car is better for longer distances. I think fees apply for late drop offs but just check the FAQs on their website for the details. If you use my code “SKPKBY” then you’ll receive $15worth of driving credit.

Kate T.Car Next Door

You pay 33 c per kilometre, which includes fuel and also covers the car owner's wear and tear cost for the vehicle. So 100km is $33. Your trip is 500km each way, so it may be better in a rental car (depending on the time of year and what rental car prices are available). You can pick up or drop off 24/7.

Pun

Punasked

Hi,
What happens when the fuel becomes almost nil while driving long distances?
Do we need to refuel it and how does it get adjusted?

Hi Pun,
If a Borrower needs to refuel, they pay using the fuel card located in the car glove box, at most major petrol stations. They don't pay for the fuel - the owner pays for it. The cost of fuel is included in the 33c/km that Borrowers pay when they drive.

Cin

Cinasked

Car Next Door

Is it possible to rent a specific make of vehicle?
Can it be done as a one off only?

Kate T.Car Next Door

Yes, there are a lot of makes of vehicle available through the platform - just use www.carnextdoor.com.au/search to find the one you want. You can rent as a one-off, but you will need to join online first (it's free and fast).

Samir

Samirasked

Car Next Door

What if return the car earlier than expected?

Kate T.Car Next Door

Hi Samir, if you return the car early, you will still be charged for the rest of the time (the unused time in your booking). This is because the owner has missed out on the opportunity to rent the car to someone else, or may have made alternative transport arrangements expecting their car not to be available. However, if you end your booking early and someone then rents it, you won't be charged for that part of the time. For example, if you booked for Saturday and Sunday, but returned it early on Saturday afternoon, and then another member booked it for Sunday, you would not have to pay for the Sunday. Hope this makes sense!

bigal

bigalasked

Car Next Door

what's the insurance situation? can I get zero excess insurance? and how much does it cost?

Kate T.Car Next Door

Insurance is included in the fee when you rent a car. The usual excess is $2000 but you can reduce it to $500 either by joining the $19/month "Heavyweight" plan or by paying an extra $1.50/hr or $18/day. There is no zero excess option. Check out the pricing details (including for insurance) here: https://www.carnextdoor.com.au/borrower-rates-and-plans

Shaz

Shazasked

Car Next Door

Do you have to pay a bond type deposit before you pick up the car ?

Kate T.Car Next Door

You won't need to pay a deposit, but instead we may put a 10-day hold on your card to secure your booking. (That's a 'pre-authorisation' in bank-speak).

The hold will be for an amount between $300 and $500, depending on factors including whether you're a local or an overseas visitor and your credit history. We will always tell you the amount before we put a hold on your card.

This amount is set aside by your card provider, but your account won't be debited until final payment is processed.

The pre-authorisation ensures that there will be funds on your card to pay for the booking, including any damage, fees, fines or tolls we get notice of after your booking ends.
For more answers to common questions, please visit our web page and click on "FAQ" under "for car borrowers".

Niki

Nikiasked

Car Next Door

I was just curious as to what +33c a km means if I will have the car for 2 days will I be charged on top of the price 33c per km I drive?

Kate T.Car Next Door

Yes, that's right - you pay for the time you have the car, and for the distance you drive. So if you drive 100km, you'll pay $33 plus the daily charge for that car. You can find more about rates and plans, and see costs for some common trip scenarios, at https://www.carnextdoor.com.au/borrower-rates-and-plans

Scarthy

Scarthyasked

Do you charge per KM?

Kate T.Car Next Door

Yes, there is a 33c per kilometre charge, which compensates the owner for the fuel used as well as wear and tear from that driving. See https://www.carnextdoor.com.au/borrower-rates-and-plans for full details on the pricing.

Get an answer from our members and Car Next Door representatives