Caleb S.

Caleb S.

Not worth it, waste of money

3-4 weeks on car sales, 1 person interested, never showed up.
1 day on gumtree, 3 offers, sold that week.
(Plus a couple scammy messages, just don't put your number on there or respond via email)
Car sales needs to include more features for the price, such as car history and phone hiding by default for me to ever consider it again.

Ted

TedSouth East Queensland, QLD

Well below expectations

The carsales messaging platform is awful. Sometimes notifications of messages don't come through at all. It costs a lot of money! The exposure on carsales isn't great. I've had to pay multiple times to get the exposure up.

Support team are also very slow to respond to requests.

Very very bad value for money. Next time I'll look elsewhere.

carsales c.Carsales.com.au

Hi Ted, Thanks for our feedback and we're disappointed to hear you were not happy with your experience. I've sent you a message so I can take a close look at your experience and see what we can learn here. -Alex

Peter

Can't filter out dealers anymore.

Noticed to-day that Carsales has stopped the ability to search for private sales only. It is now -new/ used- so when you click on used all the dealers are still there. 98% of cars sold by dealers on Carsales are used.
The reason why people use these websites is to escape them now we have to wade through pages of adds to find the private sales,turns it into a complete waste of time.
l hope Gumtree doesn't do the same.
The last time l bought a car from a dealer l had push it out of the dealership and clutch start it being told all it needed was a good run to charge the battery Yeah Yeah l know!!! but that was a long time ago.

carsales c.Carsales.com.au

Hi Peter, Thanks for your feedback. We still have this filter option available, you'll find it under 'Other' > 'Seller Type'. I have passed on your thoughts to those that make decisions about our filters. Thanks for your time! -Alex

carsales c.Carsales.com.au

Hi Peter, Thanks for the extra info, I'll pass this on as well. The folks who made this change were very keen for the feedback. -Alex

kevin

kevinSydney, NSW

Sends a false email two days after you look at a car saying interests is high

I have used carsales.com.au over the years , but a bit fed up with the rubbish emails they now send telling you interest has increased and many people are now interested in the car I'm looking at .

I searched 11 cars and got 10 of these emails after a couple of weeks .

May be a bit of an integrity issue. The car I bought had only two enquiries

carsales c.Carsales.com.au

Hi Kevin, Thanks for your feedback about the frequency of our emails. We recently started a review of our emails after receiving similar feedback - so thanks for adding your voice to this project. See you next time. -Alex

Andre

AndreSydney, NSW

Wasted time

3 wasted Enquiries cost $108 wasted money
Facebook marketplace > 50+ in half the time of car sales $0 unfortunately these facts have led me to leave this review and others warned me but I still tried

Arthur H.

Arthur H.Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Used to be better

Carsales has become mor focused in making money off it's sellers than helping them sell. Priority should be helping the customer and making money of their success, in my personal opinion.

Dean

Dean

Wasn't worth the cost of the listing

We received zero worthwhile enquiries from the Carsales.com.au listing despite realistic pricing. Much more response from utilising free sites like Gumtree and Facebook using the same price, photos and description. All forms of the listing were paused or deleted the same amount of times when we were not going to be around for a period of time. When you consider it costs a not insignificant amount just for a basic listing on Carsales.com.au it's hard to imagine we would use it again when there are free alternatives that give better outcomes.

Paul

PaulMid North Coast, NSW

Scammers galore!

To be frank, the only offers I got through carsales.com.au were scammers! They’re ridiculous those people and loads of em. My car actually sold through a free ad in gumtree. In fact all my legitimate inquiries came from gumtree.

Marc J.

Marc J.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Don't believe RedCheck!

Red Check was a disaster - it made a number of particularly egregious errors (not opinions) on the car because they sent a junior who did not obviously understand Maserati's and was lazy - Andrew saw the floormats and keys and logbooks but claimed that they were not present ( and I was 50 metres away if we wanted to see them again; he mentioned a number of buttons that were not working, not understanding that these particular buttons ONLY operate when the engine is turned off. Useless piece of work which needlessly turned off a number of buyers - he should be fired. Leaving aside you guys charged two people for one report from one incompetent person.

Find out how Carsales.com.au compares to other Online Vehicle Sales Sites

Not the platform it once was!

Have used Carsales continually ever since launched and I can safely say it’s done. I had limited responses. Those that I did received have been mainly from buying agents etc. A total waste of money and time.

fergus

fergusSouth Australia

text messages

As a buyer im constantly getting text messages,every day about cars ive enquired about,wouldnt mind if it was emails but i didnt give my mobile when signing up to get texts daily

carsales c.Carsales.com.au

Hey Fergus, that definitely sounds frustrating! I'll send you a private message so we can workshop what might be going on here -Russ

andrew

andrew

Save your money, list elsewhere for free

I listed my car for sale on carsales as well as two other free popular websites.
You end up getting similar exposure on all 3.
Success ends up being based mostly on price and how effectively you present the car.
Each website provides about the same level of service, so you may as well save your money and just list on the free sites.
(I ended up selling my car through one of the free sites)

Deposit paid in 1.5hrs of listing, but cant delete add, now been 5 days it suxs.

My car was sold and deposit of 1.5hrs on placement to my first caller. Only down side is amount of other people offering 1/5 of asking price and without even seeing said my car wasnt worth what i wanted. I placed it at 4999 as it was the max free price, Maybe it should be higher like 7500. I should of paid 18 dollars and asked for another 1000 as it was worth it.
Very hard to remove add after being sold, keeps giving errors and wants stupid survey.

carsales c.Carsales.com.au

Some aspects of carsales.com.au are great others are appalling

As the seller I really struggled to facilitate payment to me by the buyer through payprotect.
There are no instructions and no clear process to follow. "Try PayProtect" is the only obvious choice. I did and the only thing to do there was to create a receipt, so i did, and i wasnt able to send it to the buyer without her email address. Because the vehicle is sold i have cancelled the ad but I still don't know how i am getting paid or how long it will take to clear into my account.
The safari browser on the website doesnt work very well particulalrly on logging in. And when I go to the help pages I am required to log in again

m8

m8Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

No success with selling car compared to other sites

Find out how Carsales.com.au compares to other Online Vehicle Sales Sites

Nine months wait for one genuine offer.

Too many sharks lurking with a stupidly low offer, looking for a quick deal... and so many other no name texts... number of actual tyre-kickers - one... in nine months. This car was detailed, low k's, new tyres and passed RWC inspection without fault. We were on the point of taking our car off the market, when we finally got a bona-fide buyer.
The Carsales quick offers involved driving 300k's to Rockhampton and then having to find your own way back home again.
Carsales, my suggestion is that you need to give the seller an option of "dealers need not apply", and if The Seller doesn't check that option, then it's open slather.

Seller review

Nowhere can you rate a seller of a car this is frustrating especially if you have travelled interstate and you don't get to view the car due to the seller not being real keen.

leo

leoMelbourne

Not for private sellers

Carsales charges are excessive and it offers you a so called instant offer, in my case 35% less that the market value this is not fair.

suecMelbourne

Not really worth the money spent

Very few inquiries even with all the value added exposure I paid for, and not worth the money spent. This sold via car sales only because the buyer arrived before the 4 others coming from Facebook and realized it was a bargain sell it quick price. Prices are far to high for such poor rate of return from Car Sales. All other cars I have advertised on here previously were the same result only that they were sold due to Facebook and would probably not use this as a preference in future or recommend it as results are extremely poor for outlay.
Sorry, your site is good, but you are not running a fair service for your clients and there is just not enough exposure given for the money we have to spend with you.

suec

For such a big network, they can do so much better when it comes to CX

Low response rate, minimal interest, no reply from Carsales on more than one occasion when asking for stickers and overall feels like a great money grab exercise with no real VALUE added to the purchaser of your services.

Needs far better customer service and response. Ability to customise Ad titles as well

Kylie M.asked

Might be a dumb question but how do you mark your car as sold on your ad? I only have an option to pause the ad

carsales c.Carsales.com.au

Hey Kylie, not a silly question at all! We're actually looking to improve this function. Just under the 'pause ad' button you'll see 'remove ad', hit that then follow the prompts to remove your ad. If you have any trouble, give us a bell on 13 72 53 (13 SALE). -Alex

sorry I meant 'on hold'

carsales c.Carsales.com.au

Hey Kylie, To put your ad on hold click 'pause ad'. See the link below for more details.
Let us know if there is anything else we can help with. -Alex

Jacqueline Salmeron

Jacqueline Salmeronasked

If a car is put on hold how can you contact the seller if the option of sending them a message isn’t available?

Evangeline Deza

In my case I called/rang the seller and thankfully She answered it and there's a phone/mobile nos. that She provided anyway .

carsales c.Carsales.com.au

Hi Jacqueline, if a seller has put their ad on hold you wont be able to contact them unless you their number or messaged them before the ad was put on hold. If you have the ad saved and they remove the hold you'll get a notification. -Alex

milica p.

milica p.asked

How do a message a seller that has place a car on hold ?

Evangeline Deza

Well as for me , you either ask him/her to message you back if that person did not fulfill/buy that car ! Its up to the seller anyway !

carsales c.Carsales.com.au

Hi Milica and Evangeline, if a seller has put their ad on hold, it could be for a variety of reasons. You will only be able to contact them if you've previously messaged them (before the ad was put on hold) or obtained their phone number when the ad was live. If you're interested in the car, we'd suggest keeping the ad saved as you'll get an alert if it's taken off hold and advertised again. It's possible the car has been sold and the seller has stopped the ad for the moment while they ensure the sale if final. -Alex

Get an answer from our members and Carsales.com.au representatives