Carsales.com.au

Helped, but isn't worth the fees

I feel the fees are a bit high when you want to sell a car over $5000. The message system didn't seem to work all the time. Some messages never came through.

OK but some issues

good reach and targeting but clunky platform and hard to keep track of prospects; better than competitors but still could be improved

carsales c.Carsales.com.au

Hi J, Thanks for your feedback about communicating with prospects. If you have any further suggestions around what would make this better or easier you're welcome to send us a message or email at: CarsalesCustomerService@carsales.com.au Thanks -Alex

Kim1711

Kim1711Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Easy to use but expensive

Easy product to use but the platform was expensive to advertise - as I was advertising just above the 5k which meant I had to pay the 60 or 70 dollars. I got no interest from the ad posted in carsales but I posted the same details in both gumtree and facebook marketplace where I had much more contact. Car sold via facebook marketplace. Wondering what the future is for carsales as a paid platform with this in mind for private sellers.

Find out how Carsales.com.au compares to other Online Vehicle Sales Sites

Watch out for the scammers!

So many scammers!!! No warning given by Carsales, when placing the ad, as to what a scam looks like and how they operate, what to avoid etc. nearly lost thousands. Genuine buyers hard to come by. Every extra comes with a price. More competition with used car dealers advertising on the site, losing visibility of private buyers who can’t afford the flashy extras.

carsales c.Carsales.com.au

Hi Dana, Thanks for your feedback about your experience selling your car with us. Scammers are frustrating to deal with and something we're always working on, we appreciate your thoughts. We hope to see you again next time. -Alex

F Taylor

F TaylorSouth East Queensland, QLD

It worked. The ads are pretty dam expensive, and they should offer phone number protection etc as a standard feature.

It worked, but the ads are pretty dam expensive and they should off phone number protection etc as a standard feature. It was very easy to use and navigate the website.

carsales c.Carsales.com.au

Hi F, Congrats on selling your car. Privacy of your phone number is a great feature, but yes, at this stage is an additional cost. Thanks for your feedback around this though, we appreciate it! Thanks -Alex

Sam

SamSydney, NSW

Could be better + Lot of SPAM

Platform was easy to upload the ad & user friendly . However I am very much worried about my privacy now as I keep getting SPAM sms every second day since I posted the ad / The weekly ad stats r little helpful .

Ellis

EllisSydney, NSW

This site is quite good, but could improve

Hi...I use this site quite often. It's good, but it has one really bad fault: if the seller fails to cancel his ad, it remains on the site. This could be rectified if the seller is forced to refresh the ad at intervals...for example, the ad should appear for say 3 week, then it should drop off unless the seller requests it remain for another 3 wee3k period, and so on. I have been replying to an ad selling a Renault for a month now, and I have discovered the car was sold over 2 months ago, yet the ad is sill there. My investigations have found a further 3 cars in my price range that are sill on the site, yet were sold months ago.

Loyal to good businesses

Loyal to good businessesUnincorporated, VIC

When they say "it's green is it clean?"

I searched in the 100,000 or so cars in car sales ads and found plenty of diesel vehicles and also 3.4 ltd six cylinder cars. With the high particulate matter being put out by diesels one can't call them "green". Nor can a six cylinder car be called green. A doctor friend of mine moved from living near the eastern freeway in kew because of asthma in her daughters. Recent catastrophic bushfires closed down Canberra public service for 2 days. Sydney and Melbourne also recorded world's highest days of airborne particles. This underlines the need for car sales websites to be scrupulous in their environment "green" listings. Especially for children with asthma!

Sajib A.South East Queensland, QLD

Great car selling experience, but bit of a hiccup

Best place to sell your car in Australia. Had a slight hiccup where my car was categorised in a place that it shouldn't be and it placed me at a disadvantage. The car was categorised with other cars that were not of similar spec which comprehensively reduced my exposure to interested buyers.

Sajib A.

Hi, I did contact customer service initially but they wouldn't address it as it was information direct from the manufacturer, in my situation it was a bit silly as there was no differences physically but was still put at the disadvantage

TaffTas

TaffTasLaunceston, TAS

An average experience I'm afraid.

I received far too many warnings that carsales "hadn't heard from (me) for a while" and therefore, Carsales was going to delete my ad' if I didnt log in and ask for an extension.
What would have happened if I was on holiday or in hospital? I'd lose the ad!
For this reason, I've given Carsales a 3-star rating only.

Mine`

Mine`Sydney, NSW

Didn't get the result

It took over a month to get a response. Then I only got 3 enquiries. I've decided to keep my car for now. I might try again at a later date.

carsales c.Carsales.com.au

Good site but FB marketplace is better

I paid $68 for my ad on the site and got zero inspections after two weeks while FB marketplace had over 20 enquiries and many inspections. Needless to say I sold my car to a person through FB not carsales.com. Once upon a time coming on this site to purchase cars is the way to go, but reality is if you selling a cheap car that's under 10k, just use FB you prob will get more enquiries. I wish I never wasted my money on here. However good website though.

carsales c.Carsales.com.au

Hi Winny - Thanks for the feedback, we like to keep an eye on this. Glad to hear you had a sale, sorry to hear it wasn't through us this time around!

GezzaSydney, NSW

Good but too many Spammers

Gezza

Yes Russ, of course. Customers just like to know that issues are being resolved..that's what keeps you at the top!!

Babar

BabarSydney, NSW

Instant Offers overstated

I received an instant offer for my car from one of the dealers who buy via Carsales. I showed the car to the dealer and while there was only about $1000 worth of items that potentially had to be done according to this dealer, he reduced the instant offer by $3600 with very little room to go any higher. I understand that instant offers are a great thing but this dealer knowingly offered more than he ever intended to pay.

JoeMelbourne

Advertising nightmare

Ive always used carsales.co.au for research, buying and selling cars. I often look at cars on my desk top or the app. Sadly now when using the desk top computer this site populates ads over the car ads, covering important information such as price and specs. It now leaves you with no option but to open each ad. Its terrible so I'll stick to the app. Another site reliant on tack on advertising gone mad.

carsales c.Carsales.com.au

Hey Joe, that definitely doesn't sound right! We do run ads around the listings page but there shouldn't be any over them. I'll flick you a private message so we can try get to the bottom of it. - Russ

Joe

Was contacted by Russ, turns out it was because I had my brouser zoomed in. Great work Russ, my faith in Carsales.com.au has returned

Marilyn Sneddon

Marilyn SneddonGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Very easy but no interest, let alone offers

we utilised the site and are very happy with the advertisement and the filling in of the technical information. We received a 'great price' rating for our car which is in excellent condition and have received absolutely no interest. Where to next please?

Tonez

TonezSydney, NSW

Longer than i expected.

The cost of posting up the ad is high. Few people asked about the car. And then when they do ask for my number, no follow up. False leads. Lots of low ball offers and not serious. Unless the price of the car is right, dont expect to sell the car asap. However it is very easy to use and navigate. Better than the alternative.

Patrick P

Patrick PSouth East Queensland, QLD

Sold after 3 months it may be due to the make of my car being a Peugeot

Good service for the basic option , the boosters are a bit expensive , i paid for one off booster and i had more enquires but they did not result in any sale.

johnboschen

johnboschenMelbourne

Love website, but.....

Love Carsales, but I am receiving notifications on a certain car, supposedly to be notified when new cars are available. However, rather than receiving notifications of new cars, I am seeing the same cars recycled again and again. I am also being notified multiple times over several months that the same car has been sold. I am increasingly feeling like I am on a gambling website rather than a car sales website, for the purpose of reeling me in to then bombard me with advertising (apparrantly this is Facebook’s and Instagram’s trick). I think they need to restrict their notifications to actual new cars rather than recycle the same old rubbish.

DavidM

DavidMSydney, NSW

Didn't get the price it was supposed to be worth

Your website said it was worth a lot more than it apparently was for buyers. I advertised it then had to repeatedly pay to highlight it and it took me weeks longer than it should have to sell. Not particularly happy with the customer service I received either since during the sell time the car price was dropped but kept showing in searches as the original higher price and when I rang your customer service section couldn't give a toss.

Kylie M.asked

Might be a dumb question but how do you mark your car as sold on your ad? I only have an option to pause the ad

carsales c.Carsales.com.au

Hey Kylie, not a silly question at all! We're actually looking to improve this function. Just under the 'pause ad' button you'll see 'remove ad', hit that then follow the prompts to remove your ad. If you have any trouble, give us a bell on 13 72 53 (13 SALE). -Alex

sorry I meant 'on hold'

carsales c.Carsales.com.au

Hey Kylie, To put your ad on hold click 'pause ad'. See the link below for more details.
Let us know if there is anything else we can help with. -Alex

Jacqueline Salmeron

Jacqueline Salmeronasked

If a car is put on hold how can you contact the seller if the option of sending them a message isn’t available?

Evangeline Deza

In my case I called/rang the seller and thankfully She answered it and there's a phone/mobile nos. that She provided anyway .

carsales c.Carsales.com.au

Hi Jacqueline, if a seller has put their ad on hold you wont be able to contact them unless you their number or messaged them before the ad was put on hold. If you have the ad saved and they remove the hold you'll get a notification. -Alex

milica p.

milica p.asked

How do a message a seller that has place a car on hold ?

Evangeline Deza

Well as for me , you either ask him/her to message you back if that person did not fulfill/buy that car ! Its up to the seller anyway !

carsales c.Carsales.com.au

Hi Milica and Evangeline, if a seller has put their ad on hold, it could be for a variety of reasons. You will only be able to contact them if you've previously messaged them (before the ad was put on hold) or obtained their phone number when the ad was live. If you're interested in the car, we'd suggest keeping the ad saved as you'll get an alert if it's taken off hold and advertised again. It's possible the car has been sold and the seller has stopped the ad for the moment while they ensure the sale if final. -Alex

Get an answer from our members and Carsales.com.au representatives