JeofferGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Site searching is great, just beware of them sharing your personal information.

carsales c.Carsales.com.au

Hi Jeoffer, Thanks for sharing your feedback about our website and privacy policy. I've flagged your response with the person who oversees the surveys so they can review it. We hope to see you again next time you're buying or selling. -Alex

Jeoffer

Thanks, but in my mind the person who needs to be contacted is your marketing person as they are the one sharing peoples details as nd not the survey person.

carsales c.Carsales.com.au

Hi Jeoffer, I've flagged it with several departments heads, which includes the marketing and legal departments. Thank Alex

Helped, but isn't worth the fees

I feel the fees are a bit high when you want to sell a car over $5000. The message system didn't seem to work all the time. Some messages never came through.

Caleb S.

Caleb S.

Not worth it, waste of money

3-4 weeks on car sales, 1 person interested, never showed up.
1 day on gumtree, 3 offers, sold that week.
(Plus a couple scammy messages, just don't put your number on there or respond via email)
Car sales needs to include more features for the price, such as car history and phone hiding by default for me to ever consider it again.

OK but some issues

good reach and targeting but clunky platform and hard to keep track of prospects; better than competitors but still could be improved

carsales c.Carsales.com.au

Hi J, Thanks for your feedback about communicating with prospects. If you have any further suggestions around what would make this better or easier you're welcome to send us a message or email at: CarsalesCustomerService@carsales.com.au Thanks -Alex

Ted

TedSouth East Queensland, QLD

Well below expectations

The carsales messaging platform is awful. Sometimes notifications of messages don't come through at all. It costs a lot of money! The exposure on carsales isn't great. I've had to pay multiple times to get the exposure up.

Support team are also very slow to respond to requests.

Very very bad value for money. Next time I'll look elsewhere.

carsales c.Carsales.com.au

Hi Ted, Thanks for our feedback and we're disappointed to hear you were not happy with your experience. I've sent you a message so I can take a close look at your experience and see what we can learn here. -Alex

Kim1711

Kim1711Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Easy to use but expensive

Easy product to use but the platform was expensive to advertise - as I was advertising just above the 5k which meant I had to pay the 60 or 70 dollars. I got no interest from the ad posted in carsales but I posted the same details in both gumtree and facebook marketplace where I had much more contact. Car sold via facebook marketplace. Wondering what the future is for carsales as a paid platform with this in mind for private sellers.

Peter

Can't filter out dealers anymore.

Noticed to-day that Carsales has stopped the ability to search for private sales only. It is now -new/ used- so when you click on used all the dealers are still there. 98% of cars sold by dealers on Carsales are used.
The reason why people use these websites is to escape them now we have to wade through pages of adds to find the private sales,turns it into a complete waste of time.
l hope Gumtree doesn't do the same.
The last time l bought a car from a dealer l had push it out of the dealership and clutch start it being told all it needed was a good run to charge the battery Yeah Yeah l know!!! but that was a long time ago.

carsales c.Carsales.com.au

Hi Peter, Thanks for your feedback. We still have this filter option available, you'll find it under 'Other' > 'Seller Type'. I have passed on your thoughts to those that make decisions about our filters. Thanks for your time! -Alex

carsales c.Carsales.com.au

Hi Peter, Thanks for the extra info, I'll pass this on as well. The folks who made this change were very keen for the feedback. -Alex

Watch out for the scammers!

So many scammers!!! No warning given by Carsales, when placing the ad, as to what a scam looks like and how they operate, what to avoid etc. nearly lost thousands. Genuine buyers hard to come by. Every extra comes with a price. More competition with used car dealers advertising on the site, losing visibility of private buyers who can’t afford the flashy extras.

carsales c.Carsales.com.au

Hi Dana, Thanks for your feedback about your experience selling your car with us. Scammers are frustrating to deal with and something we're always working on, we appreciate your thoughts. We hope to see you again next time. -Alex

kevin

kevinSydney, NSW

Sends a false email two days after you look at a car saying interests is high

I have used carsales.com.au over the years , but a bit fed up with the rubbish emails they now send telling you interest has increased and many people are now interested in the car I'm looking at .

I searched 11 cars and got 10 of these emails after a couple of weeks .

May be a bit of an integrity issue. The car I bought had only two enquiries

carsales c.Carsales.com.au

Hi Kevin, Thanks for your feedback about the frequency of our emails. We recently started a review of our emails after receiving similar feedback - so thanks for adding your voice to this project. See you next time. -Alex

F Taylor

F TaylorSouth East Queensland, QLD

It worked. The ads are pretty dam expensive, and they should offer phone number protection etc as a standard feature.

It worked, but the ads are pretty dam expensive and they should off phone number protection etc as a standard feature. It was very easy to use and navigate the website.

carsales c.Carsales.com.au

Hi F, Congrats on selling your car. Privacy of your phone number is a great feature, but yes, at this stage is an additional cost. Thanks for your feedback around this though, we appreciate it! Thanks -Alex

Andre

AndreSydney, NSW

Wasted time

3 wasted Enquiries cost $108 wasted money
Facebook marketplace > 50+ in half the time of car sales $0 unfortunately these facts have led me to leave this review and others warned me but I still tried

Sam

SamSydney, NSW

Could be better + Lot of SPAM

Platform was easy to upload the ad & user friendly . However I am very much worried about my privacy now as I keep getting SPAM sms every second day since I posted the ad / The weekly ad stats r little helpful .

Ellis

EllisSydney, NSW

This site is quite good, but could improve

Hi...I use this site quite often. It's good, but it has one really bad fault: if the seller fails to cancel his ad, it remains on the site. This could be rectified if the seller is forced to refresh the ad at intervals...for example, the ad should appear for say 3 week, then it should drop off unless the seller requests it remain for another 3 wee3k period, and so on. I have been replying to an ad selling a Renault for a month now, and I have discovered the car was sold over 2 months ago, yet the ad is sill there. My investigations have found a further 3 cars in my price range that are sill on the site, yet were sold months ago.

Loyal to good businesses

Loyal to good businessesUnincorporated, VIC

When they say "it's green is it clean?"

I searched in the 100,000 or so cars in car sales ads and found plenty of diesel vehicles and also 3.4 ltd six cylinder cars. With the high particulate matter being put out by diesels one can't call them "green". Nor can a six cylinder car be called green. A doctor friend of mine moved from living near the eastern freeway in kew because of asthma in her daughters. Recent catastrophic bushfires closed down Canberra public service for 2 days. Sydney and Melbourne also recorded world's highest days of airborne particles. This underlines the need for car sales websites to be scrupulous in their environment "green" listings. Especially for children with asthma!

Arthur H.

Arthur H.Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Used to be better

Carsales has become mor focused in making money off it's sellers than helping them sell. Priority should be helping the customer and making money of their success, in my personal opinion.

Sajib A.South East Queensland, QLD

Great car selling experience, but bit of a hiccup

Best place to sell your car in Australia. Had a slight hiccup where my car was categorised in a place that it shouldn't be and it placed me at a disadvantage. The car was categorised with other cars that were not of similar spec which comprehensively reduced my exposure to interested buyers.

Sajib A.

Hi, I did contact customer service initially but they wouldn't address it as it was information direct from the manufacturer, in my situation it was a bit silly as there was no differences physically but was still put at the disadvantage

TaffTas

TaffTasLaunceston, TAS

An average experience I'm afraid.

I received far too many warnings that carsales "hadn't heard from (me) for a while" and therefore, Carsales was going to delete my ad' if I didnt log in and ask for an extension.
What would have happened if I was on holiday or in hospital? I'd lose the ad!
For this reason, I've given Carsales a 3-star rating only.

Mine`

Mine`Sydney, NSW

Didn't get the result

It took over a month to get a response. Then I only got 3 enquiries. I've decided to keep my car for now. I might try again at a later date.

Dean

Dean

Wasn't worth the cost of the listing

We received zero worthwhile enquiries from the Carsales.com.au listing despite realistic pricing. Much more response from utilising free sites like Gumtree and Facebook using the same price, photos and description. All forms of the listing were paused or deleted the same amount of times when we were not going to be around for a period of time. When you consider it costs a not insignificant amount just for a basic listing on Carsales.com.au it's hard to imagine we would use it again when there are free alternatives that give better outcomes.

Good site but FB marketplace is better

I paid $68 for my ad on the site and got zero inspections after two weeks while FB marketplace had over 20 enquiries and many inspections. Needless to say I sold my car to a person through FB not carsales.com. Once upon a time coming on this site to purchase cars is the way to go, but reality is if you selling a cheap car that's under 10k, just use FB you prob will get more enquiries. I wish I never wasted my money on here. However good website though.

carsales c.Carsales.com.au

Hi Winny - Thanks for the feedback, we like to keep an eye on this. Glad to hear you had a sale, sorry to hear it wasn't through us this time around!

Kylie M.asked

Might be a dumb question but how do you mark your car as sold on your ad? I only have an option to pause the ad

carsales c.Carsales.com.au

Hey Kylie, not a silly question at all! We're actually looking to improve this function. Just under the 'pause ad' button you'll see 'remove ad', hit that then follow the prompts to remove your ad. If you have any trouble, give us a bell on 13 72 53 (13 SALE). -Alex

sorry I meant 'on hold'

carsales c.Carsales.com.au

Hey Kylie, To put your ad on hold click 'pause ad'. See the link below for more details.
Let us know if there is anything else we can help with. -Alex

Jacqueline Salmeron

Jacqueline Salmeronasked

If a car is put on hold how can you contact the seller if the option of sending them a message isn’t available?

Evangeline Deza

In my case I called/rang the seller and thankfully She answered it and there's a phone/mobile nos. that She provided anyway .

carsales c.Carsales.com.au

Hi Jacqueline, if a seller has put their ad on hold you wont be able to contact them unless you their number or messaged them before the ad was put on hold. If you have the ad saved and they remove the hold you'll get a notification. -Alex

milica p.

milica p.asked

How do a message a seller that has place a car on hold ?

Evangeline Deza

Well as for me , you either ask him/her to message you back if that person did not fulfill/buy that car ! Its up to the seller anyway !

carsales c.Carsales.com.au

Hi Milica and Evangeline, if a seller has put their ad on hold, it could be for a variety of reasons. You will only be able to contact them if you've previously messaged them (before the ad was put on hold) or obtained their phone number when the ad was live. If you're interested in the car, we'd suggest keeping the ad saved as you'll get an alert if it's taken off hold and advertised again. It's possible the car has been sold and the seller has stopped the ad for the moment while they ensure the sale if final. -Alex

Get an answer from our members and Carsales.com.au representatives