Cel-Fi

Cel-Fi Questions & Answers (page 3 of 4)

Listing monitored by Cel-Fi

61 questions from our users

Manu
Manuasked

Hi we have an Celfi go on the boat which worked fine with the iPhone 6 but since we have the iPhone 10 it does screw all !
The device tries to update NU version 018.037 and dies half way through the second installation.☹️ if I ignore the update the celfi shows full reception but our phones have just one bar or sos. We are on the way north and really need this one going!!! Please help?
Cheers Manu

Soton
Soton

There was a lot of complaints about the Iphone X providing weaker signal signal than the 6 but I don't know of any solutions.
What I can suggest is that you check which version of the X you have as not all models support Band 28 (700Mhz LTE).
You could also change the Go manually to 3G or select Band 3 on the Wave App to see if it helps.

Chrissy
Chrissyasked

By using an antenna, I have all five bars of strength with the 3G network. Still there is only 1 bar on the iphones within our building. How can this be? Is the signal output from the booster perhaps not strong enough? Is there a solution?

Hi Chrissy, the easiest way to check on the level of boost is by logging in to the device using the Cel-Fi Wave app. The app displays a LOT of information and will assist you in getting full performance.

Christopher C.
Christopher C.

Mine shows two bars of network and 6 boost and says things look ok, but it drops calls

Julie
Julieasked

I have a Nextivity Cel-FI 3G Smart Repeater & Booster (Telstra Approved) purchased 03/10/2013 which has had its problems dropping out in the past but now our mobile phones are always showing "sos" or Telstra Wi-Fi (which doesn't do anything)
can you help in getting us service, the unit is showing 3 bars
Julie

Brian

Hi Julie the sos is for example tripple 0 calls only that could mean youre phone is trying to get on the optus network . Do you have a yagi antenna out side ? if so it could of moved in strong wind and needs to be reset to a tower line of sight . i would try and make sure you get the two units as far a part as possible and a few walls between the units helps i found out i get a 6 on the smaller box it can go up to 8 i hope this helps good luck Brian

Brian

Hi Julie i was thinking if the units playing up it could be that some one near you has has a shonkie booster that you can get off ebay real cheap they are not approved by telstra or optus etc . these can allso cause issues to the phone towers thanks Brian

Dan
Dan

We have the same problem just going on for over a week now except we have full bars sometimes transitioning from that to SOS and no service. When we get the full bars we still cannot make any calls or send SMS like we used to for the past years. Prior to this we had no issues phone calls, sms or data transfer.We got the Cel-Fi Pro. Any thoughts on how to fix this? We are very disheartened.....

moazier
moazierasked

Hi there, we are looking for a mobile phone signal booster that boosts optus and Telstra signals. We are in a gully and there are no bars of signal here but up the hill about 500m there is bars. What products would we need to get bars of signal in the house? Cheers

Hi Moazier
We do not have a product that will boost both Telstra and Optus at the same time. There is generally two options for this situation:
1) Setup on Hill - Cel-Fi GO system for Telstra powered from solar power. Yagi antenna to receive and another to push the signal down to the house.
2) Pole on House Roof - a large pole on the roof of your house with a Yagi up top, high enough to get signal. Then connected to the GO indoors.
Call our team on 07 5577 0500 for more information.

Bert
Bertasked

I downloaded the Cel-Fi app, then connected the Cel-Fi unit in a short time by iPad went from no bars to full strength in 3G, but my laptop is 4G and didn't receive any signal at all even when I changed to 4G.

When I checked the Cel-fi app it said the system looked good and 7 out 8 on the boost chart on 3G, but 4G nothing, when I changed back to 3G it would not connect , with the Cel-Fi app bringing up codes 07 and 09, are these the same as E7 and E9 codes listed on there startup pages
which refer to registration of the unit?

Paul B.Cel-Fi

Hi Bert, I presume you have the Cel-Fi GO model.
There could be a few things going on here, it could be a case of your laptop not being compatible with 4G 700 that the Cel-Fi is boosting, or the input signal strength being too strong on 3G. We need to know if you have a GO Mobile or GO Stationary also. Can you call our technical department on 07 5577 0500 and they will assist you with getting it working.

Daveasked

Hi, I have had the cel-fi 3G model for several years which is connected to a panel antenna on the roof, works great for receiving & making calls I also have a telstra 4gx modem connected to another panel antenna with download speeds of about 10 Mbps from the 700 Mhz band, would I be able to also run the cel-fi pro for 4g data as well as the old unit and would the new unit significantly improve data speeds? cheers David

TotalAntenna
TotalAntenna

Hello Dave, the cel-fi PRO transmits both 3G and 4GX or 4G 1800Mhz at the same time, so you could replace your old unit with the new PRO unit to supply data to your modem and still make and receive calls, however the best way to maximise data speeds to your modem is to install a MIMO antenna to utilise both antenna ports on your device, by installing a PRO unit I wouldn't expect an increase in data speeds over what you've already got as these units only have a 20Mhz bandwidth, but by installing a MIMO antenna you then utilise the full 40Mhz bandwidth directly off the tower.

Dave

Thanks TotalAntenna I am using Mimo antenna with low loss cable but lots of tall trees surrounding house so can only receive 1-2 bars of 700Mhz 4g signal hence slow speeds tried omni antenna even worse, telstra tower is proposed for 900Mhz so maybe better after just thought the cel-fi would amplify signal to give much better data transfer cheers David

Paul B.Cel-Fi

Hi Dave, further to Total Antenna's reply. The PRO does not support MIMO (two data streams back to the tower), so data speeds can sometimes be slower through the PRO vs through a dedicated MIMO antenna for the modem. The exception to this is in low signal areas where MIMO may not be achievable due to the customer being too far from the tower. In this instance the PRO may offer faster data speeds, if the signal level goes from 1-2 to 4-5 bars. Sometimes it's a matter of experimenting to see what the best outcome is.

AlfRosasked

Would like to buy one to put onto a mechanical harvester which travels around rural areas during the harvesting season. This is around an approx. 15sq mile radius in ever changing terrain. Unsure whether to invest in such a pricey product. Is there a try before you buy unit that can test whether or not the item will work?

Paul B.Cel-Fi

Hi AlfRos - the Cel-F GO is the product for you, I would use the Stationary GO version as it can handle speeds up to 60km per hour and it has a greater gain (100dB) over the Mobile version (70dB). You will need to choose your antennas carefully - one of the Omni's (Trucker or Marine) should work. To get optimum results you need to ensure correct isolation between the 2 antennas. There is no 'try before you buy' but there is a 30 day money back guarantee should the solution not work for you. If you submit your details here, we can recommend a local installer to assist. http://cel-fi.com.au/blog/info/

The answer from Cel-Fi is a little dated. The Stationary model of the GO builds a tower list to which it is then locked, so definitely NOT recommended for mobile operation. The good news is that the GO mobile unit has had a firmware upgrade, will work with any (Telstra) tower and provide excellent gain.

AlfRos

With no chance of "trying out" the device we did buy the CelFiGO and have been disappointed with its performance. We are seriously thinking of scraping the whole thing unless you can come up with a suggestion..

Ianasked

Hello , I have just installed a cel fi go unit that I bought from powertec. If I have the unit set to 4g I connect at 4 bars with very good data speed but can't make calls. If i set to auto or 3G I connect to the 3 g network & can make calls but of course I don't get the fast data speeds of 4g. Anyone know why this is happening? Cheers Ian

Paul B.Cel-Fi

Hi Ian - to all intents and purposes calls only come through on 3G. The GO unit will boost 3G or 4G but not at the same time. You should always default to 3G so you can take/make calls, and switch to 4G when you need to utilise data. Sounds like the unit is working as it should. Hope this helps.

Ian

Dear Cel-Fi, thanks for your reply. I did read as much but was then wondering why the Telstra signal can switch from one to the other but the Cel-fi cant? Is there an reason why the Cel-fi cant exactly replicate the Telstra setup cheers

Naomi
Naomiasked

Our Director travels from Port Macquarie to Foster (approx 2hrs) where he has periods of limited to no mobile service. Is the Cel-Fi Mobile repeater going to help him make calls while he travels?
Regards Naomi

Paul B.Cel-Fi

Hi Naomi - if there is no signal at all, no product will work. If there is a small sniff of the signal, Cel-Fi is going to be the only product that can pick it up and amplify it within the vehicle. This is due to the huge gain of the Mobile GO (up to 70dB) which is vastly greater than your alternative option of an antenna/cradle set-up. There is a 30 day money back guarantee, so it may be worth purchasing and testing it out. Please make sure the antennas are correctly positioned to maximise the isolation as this is how you get the best result. If you do have any problems, you can contact sales support to assist with set-up or we can recommend you to a local reseller who will do the install correctly for you. I would love to hear the end results if you decide to you ahead. http://cel-fi.com.au/blog/info/

Cam R
Cam Rasked

Hi,
I have a cel fi unit installed in my home. 90% of the time it works great. But every 10 minutes or so the signal completely drops out and all devices get no service. This only last about 1 minute and then it comes back again. Could anyone offer me some suggestions as to how i can fix this?

Paul B.Cel-Fi

Hi Cam, please call the Powertec support team on 07 5577 0500 to try and get this one sorted. This is not the normal operation of the unit.
They will be trying to figure out if it is caused by the network dropping, or by the link between the window and coverage unit dropping.
So before you call, watch what the lights on the front of the box to see if the link between the boxes drops, or if the network bars are at zero when you experience this issue.

Michael Wasked

I've just set up my Cel-fi Go for Telstra 3G/4G on my boat and tested it in Moreton Bay, Queensland. I have connected the external port directly to the existing mast-top aerial which has given reception to the previous Netcomm 3G modem.
It seems to help according to iPhone app, but I am perplexed when I use the app that under the advanced tab, it says something like "external aerial in use: no"
Does this mean reception is good enough not to need the aerial in that location or must I change aerials?

Paul B.Cel-Fi

Hi Michael - Cel-Fi Go does not have an internal antenna so the Wave app sees the external antenna as the only antenna connected to the device. The Wave app is designed to work with both the Go and the Pro, the Pro being the unit that has internal antennas and the facility to connect an external antenna.

We highly recommend that you use the proprietary Marine antenna as supplied with the GO marine kit as it includes all bands used by Telstra now and in the future.
It is unlikely that your existing antenna will work with 700 and that is becoming the dominant band. Powertec cannot provide free technical support unless the supplied Marine antenna is used.

Michael W

Thanks for advising me by e-mail that the Wave app when used with Cel-fi Go Stationary will always show "external antenna in use: no" even when it is functioning normally with the recommended antennas. Perhaps you might fix this in the app to avoid confusion.
Appreciate the customer support. M

Gretaasked

How do I know that the Cel-Fi Pro will work in my location, Halls Gap-Pomonal area. Is there any govt rebates for having to improve our service as the service provider isn't upgrading their serve to all areas of Australia.

Regards

Sam
Sam

Hi Greta, If you have 1 bar of signal inside your house/office, the device should work, if you are very marginal, you may need an antenna set-up to get the signal inside your house. I recommend you call Powertec Telecommunications on 07 5577 0500 to run through your situation. They can refer you to a local expert if you need one. The product also has a 30 day money back guarantee so you can return if it doesn't work. You will only pay for postage. Hope this helps.

Greta

Hi, so if I need an outside antenna what is the cost for one.
Thanks Greta

Michelle OD
Michelle ODasked

Are the units telco specific as im currently with optus but what if i change to Telstra? Also whats the difference between the standard and the pro?

paul4577

Yes the units are carrier specific, so the Optus model wont boost a Telstra signal. The hardware is different internally so you can upgrade the unit.
The standard model supports 3G (meaning voice and standard internet speeds), the PRO support 3G and 4G at the same time (meaning voice and faster internet) if in a 4G area.

Danny Mittonasked

If the window unit is plugged into an antenna does it have to be near the window?

Kat
Kat

We originally had to have it on the window sill before we installed the antenna but now have it sitting in a place we originally got no reception so I would say no it doesn't have to.

Thanks Kat

Simon Farr
Simon Farr

Danny,
No, as long as the antenna has good reception the window unit can be located anywhere whilst still connected to the antenna via the correct cable. In saying this the internal antennas always appeared to be far better than the external ones. My advice is to liaise with the suppliers as they are good people.
Simon

Pete J
Pete Jasked

How do I get one and do you have a return policy?

paul4577

You can complete the application and order one at www.cel-fi.com.au

Cel-Fi comes with a 30 day satisfaction money back guarantee. Just the shipping is not refunded.

Leanneasked

I travel to remote areas to do contract work in my longreach motorhome. The signal in these areas is always poor, sometimes using the car kit with an 5dpi external antenna I can get enough signal to make scratchy calls. Would your unit be suitable for a mobile home and if to would the antenna be sturdy enough to mount on the roof permanently without being damaged by the movement when travelling on gravel roads and corrugations?

paul4577

Hi Leanne, a Cel-Fi model called the GO is due out within 2 months. This will be suitable for use in vehicles and motorhomes. See www.cel-fi.com.au for details.

Leanne

That looks good. Do you have any more info re what the external antenna looks like, installation and approx. cost

Alanasked

I run two iPhones on a Cel fi.. It works fine most of the time. A friend who came to our house with a Samsung who is also on TELSTRA does not get any signal. any reason known for this?

Tim G
Tim G

Hi we have the same problem with friends with Samsung. I think it might be something to do with locked and unlocked non iPhones. Works perfectly on iPhones but I could not understand why Samsung phones don't work when the actual Samsung phone says it's picking up the signal. I suggest you call Telstra and ask as the Cel Fi is Telstra approved.

Alan

Actually the Samsung does not even show a signal when sitting next to a five bar signal for the iphone!

paul4577

Yes the Cel-Fi is Telstra approved. The phone should work with Cel-Fi no matter what brand as long as it supports Telstra frequencies.
A possible explanation is that that particular Samsung does not support the 3G 850MHz band, or it was connected on 4G and you could not see the bars increase because the Cel-Fi was only boosting a 3G signal. Put the Samsung in 3G mode to check if it is boosting. If you bought the Cel-Fi from Powertec, their technical support team can assist on 07 5577 0500

John
Johnasked

We live on a rural property with one bar here and there. My question:- Does the CelFi unit need A/C power and would reception improve if the antenna was located up a mast and pointed in the direction closest telstra tower??
Many thanks
John

Andrew
Andrew

You need an AC power supply, I use the largest Yagi directional antenna I could get, mounted on Shed roof(about 5m above ground) pointed at nearest tower.

Evelyn
Evelyn

Hi John ~yes I agree with Andrew, and can also contact Dave from Powertec tec support ~Regards Evelyn

Paul B.Cel-Fi

Hi John - Both Evelyn and Andrew are correct. AC power supply for both units and if your reception is very bad we recommend a yagi directional antenna pointed at the tower. But do some investigation first, you do need one bar of signal for the device to work so testing signal strength on your roof is key. If you would like some assistance from an expert in your area, give us a call at Powertec and we can direct you - 07 5577 0500

Duncanonmail
Duncanonmailasked

What if the 1 bar connection reaches only to the middle of the paddock beside the house. No bars in the house or adjacent garage?

There are two options:
1) Check signal on the roof of the house where you can place an external antenna and connect it to the window unit
2) Run a 50m cable away from the house to an area that gets signal and mount the external antenna there.

Michele
Michele

Sorry not sure that I can answer this
I am in a domestic house on the beach with cel fi I now get 8 bars when before I only got 1

Michr
Michrasked

How much energy do the boosters require? Apart from the cost of the boosters, I also need to consider the costs to have them plugged in 24/7.

Paul B.Cel-Fi

Each installation is different. It can range average 0.8Amp and hit peaks close to 1.5Amps for each box in the system. The higher consumption could be experienced in poor signal areas or when the mobile device is in use.

Get an answer from our members and Cel-Fi representatives