Cel-Fi

See the Best Electronics in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by Cel-Fi

Quinny
QuinnyVictoria

Not what I expected!

Heard I lot about the Cel-Fi Go, and turned out to be disappointed. I had issues from the beginning. I bought the unit from my local Telstra shop in Warrnambool, no backup support once I walked out the door. I had it professionally fitted, but unit failed to deliver!
Turns out, because I have an iPhone X it needs to be dumbed down to 3G to work effectively. Leaves you bewildered to think why they have an ‘auto’ setting in the unit? Leaving me to switch from a 4G setting to a 3G setting on my phone when getting in and out of the car. In this day and age, it seems unthinkable to experience backward software, that can’t determine the most appropriate signal.

Purchased in November 2020 for $950.00.

Works great but NOT when you need it

Purchased in November 2018 at Powertec for $1,100.00.

Shaun S.
Shaun S.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Works well on 3g. Not much difference on 4g.

I have a car unit that I also unplug and use in a Sorrento beach house
In Sorrento it boosts the 3g signal from 0-1 bar to 3 bars it goes from not being able to make a call to acceptable browsing.
However on 4g anywhere it says it's boosting strength often between 7-9 however makes no difference to the phone still on 1 bar. Can't brows or make reliable phone calls in Sorrento when set to boost 4g.

Purchased in December 2019 at eBay for $900.00.

T Brown
T BrownMid North Coast, NSW

Average, useful when it works.

Installed Telstra celfi and external aerial probably 1 or 2 years ago. Experienced drop outs straight away after installation. Complained to the distributor within the first week and was told nothing was wrong. Had probably 10 drops outs today alone. Works sometimes. Better than nothing but very frustrating.

Purchased at Fetter comunication for $1,500.00.

Electronics

Find out how Cel-Fi compares to other Electronics

rossyabroad
rossyabroadMaryborough

Not bad but beware of nonsense

Our business has owned about 10 units consisting of different models of cell-fi signal boosters over the years. For us the cell-fi go (stationary kit) has actually been by far the most consistent and best performing. I did note however a review in this section saying that supplier (I think most of us know who they are) claimed the reason a unit wasn't working was because of 5Ghz interference.

We were given this excuse as a reason for one of the earlier models we owned not working properly. We disproved this by turning off every other piece of transmitting equipment we had on the entire site! It made not difference at all! So if you are given this nonsense excuse as a way for them to fob you off - don't take it lying down!

Nina

Great for phone not internet

We bought this mostly to boost our internet signal as we were told it would boost it quite a bit. We are disappointed that it did not boost it more. Our internet has gone from terrible to pretty bad so its a step up and a slight improvement. We still cant download a movie etc. We live in the country and cant get NBN. In saying that, if you are buying it to improve your mobile phone coverage- it is great for that!

Nina

Yes, we do have the extra antenna- the Yagi stick.

John M
John M

Having to contact the manufacturers again.

Have had this just over a year on 3G Optus band with iPhones. Despite a constant transmitter signal of 5 bars ( maximum ), and a receiver signal of a constant 7 (out of 9) phones never get more than 2 bars, mobile to mobile calls keep crashing, sometimes phones get no signal at all. It's all very unpredictable. Extremely disappointed especially at the cost of $800. New Optus G4 signal in the area is better in our apartment than the Cel Fi boosted 3G !! To top it off, transmitter unit in my office keeps "clicking" and drives me crazy.

Brad R
Brad RPiara Waters

Great idea, a little poor on the follow through.

Was provided one of these by Optus as we live in a new development with marginal coverage (No Telstra or VF at all!), does it's job, makes calls able to be made from inside wheras before they couldn't but Iphone 6 only ever got to 3 bars in most rooms in a 4 by 2 house unless you sat in front of the coverage unit. Very prone to crashing, we were having to reboot every second day which became tiresome. Handing it back to Optus and getting a Homezone now we have a home internet sorted.

Paul B.Cel-Fi

Hi Brad, sorry to hear you had some troubles. We can usually help with these setup issues. Before you send the unit back can you call our support department on 07 5577 0500

Chris
ChrisWoodend

Works great, but only lasts a few months after the warranty period expires

Had these for use on Telstra. 3G Great for boosting mobile signal inside the home. Mobile data a bit slower, but still OK for most. There is a 2 year vendor warranty on these things. Pity mine lasted until a month after the warranty period had expired, meaning another $800odd for a new one!

Hi Chris
If you purchased the unit through Powertec or one of our dealers, then please email us at sales@powertec.com.au and we will look after you. It is extremely rare for Cel-Fi to become faulty.

Electronics

Find out how Cel-Fi compares to other Electronics

Good but not great

Have had cel fi now for over 6 months. We were having all sorts of problems with slow connection and drop outs, we are 20ks from a city in a rural setting, so only wi-fi (go figure!) The internet service is now a lot faster, we have the smaller receiver set up in our office. Once we go out of the office only a few meters the signal drops back to what it used to be. When making enquiries regarding this product, we even had Telstra install, they said we would receive good coverage throughout the house. I am great full for small but expensive mercies, as we run a business from here.

Paul B.Cel-Fi

Hi Carol. any chance you could give our office a call on 07 5577 0500 and ask for Paul. It does not sound right the signal is dropping off only after a few metres. We should be able to optimise your setup so it has a better coverage area.

Newie
NewiePorongurup

excellent for phone but not good for Internet

I have had the Cel-Fi unit for several months. Very happy with finally being able to use my mobile phone in the house. The Cel-Fi has an external antenna connected. However, I should also have been able to use my Internet modem but found that although I get a very strong signal on the modem it is very, very slow. I therefore still have to have my modem on a separate external antenna.
reliable, efficient for voice
does not provide efficient data benefit

Ben M.
Ben M.asked

Stationary and mobile cel fi , are they both the same and can be used either way ,?

Alan

The Mobile unit will only boost when the signal strength from the antenna drops below a usable limit which I think is about -95dBm. It will allow you to travel around without needing re-registration which would happen if you try using a stationary model in a car.

Evan
Evanasked

My Cel fi system is in a house in a remote area in Australia. It has been used in this area successfully for sometime now with nil issues but I was required to relocate it in the same house. Since then we will have full signal for a couple hours then all of a sudden it will drop out completely only to be fully restored hours later ( up to 12hrs). We have relocated it back to the original location with the exact same result. I have reset it etc but no change, any ideas?
Thanks heaps

Jay
Jay

We use Cel Fi go out bush with 18db yaggie doner antenna up to 120km from Telstra towers… Yes we also get dropouts during the day. I’m no RF engineer but because these units only need a sniff of signal, I put the dropouts for hours on end down to atmospheric conditions, humidity and cloud cover… Do you use a direction antenna ?

Alan

If it needs re-registration it will work for 15minutes after a reboot and then will stop boosting and the LED will flash red. Download Celfi Wave app - reboot Celfi - run the app - it will open on the registration page. Enter your name and address and submit. This happens when the Celfi thinks it has been moved to a new address.

Scot À.
Scot À.asked

I’m purchasing cel fi go on Friday
I have Mayb one bar and sos on my mobile my signal used to be 4 g and was like this for ten years I live in butler Perth
I hope your product is going to work
I don’t know why I’m affected Telstra just keep throwing off really they should be paying for this

Alan

Sometimes the signal is severely attenuated by the structure of the house. Crimsafe, window tint, metal louvres, etc. If you get 2 bars standing on the roof it is very likely to work satisfactorily if you mount an antenna on the roof.

Get an answer from our members and Cel-Fi representatives