CGU Car Insurance

How to compare car insurance to find the best policy for you

Read now
Buying Guide Banner

• Claim Resolution Time
    • <1 week (3)
    • 1-2 weeks (2)
    • 2-4 weeks (6)
    • 1-2 months (1)
    • 3+ months (13)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (14) · No (10)
Jeremy L.

Jeremy L.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Horrendously Slow Claim Process!

Lodged a claim on 20th January for hail damage, was told the "partner" repairer will contact me within 24 hours to book for an assessment. 2 weeks later receive a call from repairer whilst i was having in a meeting and couldn't pick up. Try to call back repairers to no avail, as i keep hearing the automated message. Called CGU if they can help me book the assessment on my behalf they said no and apparently the best they can do is send an email to repairer which i already did and obviously repairers don't reply emails too. It's been one month my car have not been assessed for damages can't wait to see how long it takes to get my money back from CGU if my car gets written off.

Care TeamCGU

Hey Jeremy, thanks for letting us know about this, can you message our Facebook page with your claim number please facebook.com/cguinsurance and we will be happy to escalate your claim to the manager to get you some answers. Thanks. ~Kaz

moonster

moonster

Poor customer service, family left high and dry, do not use CGU for Car Insurance

Graham C.

Graham C.Canberra 2600, ACT

Shocking experience avoid at all costs

Find out how CGU Car Insurance compares to other Car Insurance

Terrible lied to me many times. Complaints handed poorly.

Went through our bank for car insurance with CGU. This was a mistake. CGU are dishonest, slow, inefficient and apathetic. We are currently working through a claim. CGU for the most part won't communicate with us, referring us to the repairer. The repairer refers us back to CGU. Our car is likely to be written off, but no one will communicate when an assessment will be completed. Avoid CGU, we are in the process of pulling all our policies from them. Couldn't imagine the people who lost houses in fires with CGU are dealing with.

L.LeGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Took 1 YEAR for 1 claims, and still on going troubles with court order!!! Worse insurance company ever!!!

Istiaque A.

Istiaque A.Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Horrible in Handling Claim

Care TeamCGU

Hi Istaque, I am aware you have brought this to our attention on social media and know you have been in touch with us since posting this. I do hope you get the resolution you are after and apologies for the way we've left you feeling. ~Natalie

Gul

GulSydney, NSW

Liars!!!

I wouldn't give 1 star either. They never solve my problem and not even willing to solve the problem. I am waiting for more than 3 months to get fixed my car where the CGU's client at fault and CGU's response is "waiting for client's reply, so they can meet their obligations" and that "reply" is taking for that long and when I ask how long is going to take, they say "we don't know and we don't give time frame". Such a rip off company, liar, 0 customer service, lazy employees. You wait for at least 30 minutes to speak with the agent, when they answer your call, they even not apologatic, instead they are rude and never solve your problem. Not recommended, stay away from this company, hope they go for bankruptcy.

D D.

D D.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Wow, these guys are really terrible!

Care TeamCGU

Worst Insurer due to claims process, painful nothing but hassles.

Danny

DannySydney, NSW

Rubbish

Had a crash and now my car is sitting at home waiting for it to be towed and assessed and they still cant come after over a week so Im gonna tow it myself.

Insurance TypeComprehensive

annaGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

STAY AWAY FROM CGU

WARNING to steer away from CGU! Worst company ever! They will try and find any policy to try not to pay you what is rightfully yours. Even the top manager will fabricate his own policy to get away with not paying you and us workaholics cant afford expensive lawyers to fight against them. Do yourself and everyone else you know a favour - STAY AWAY.

Insurance TypeComprehensive, Compulsory Third Party, Third Party Property Damage, Third Party, Fire and Theft and Veteran, Vintage and Classic Vehicle

Thanks Natalie.

Horrible! Company that provides misleading information.

We have been with this insurance company for 3 years and it is only when it comes to being involved in a car crash that you realise how unreliable they are. Signed us up for insurance telling us that an under 25 driver was insured. When it has come time to claim a not at fault collision, it has been rejected because the cover had 'inexperienced driver' not 'age' as the excess. We were not explained this at the time of commitment.
Contacted the company and was told because the original conversation occurred in person, not over the phone there was no evidence/recording and that we essentially had no rights.
Company doesn't care about customers, only about dollars.
Wouldn't recommend to anyone.

Neb-Maat-ReAU

Bureaucratic, argumentative & unpleasant to deal with

Karin

KarinDarwin, NT

While customer service can be a little slow in responding (heavy workload possibly??) I am very happy with the value of the service provided to me. It's the first time I had to submit a claim and the outcome was excellent. Good repairer, good customer service by CGU in resolving the matter. Thank you!

Insurance TypeComprehensive
Care TeamCGU

Hi Karin, thank you for the positive review. Let us know in the future if you ever need further assistance. ~ Jono

The Worst Insurance decision of my life.

The worst experience ever. I will never recommend CGU and cannot wait for the day I leave. CGU do not deserve a 1 star rating but that is the lowest I can give them.
Been with them 6mths.
I have contacted CGU over 10 times over 3wks and have never had a response.
There communication systems are call centres overseas and the assessor here never speaks to you. They have had my car 3 wks and they treat people with total disregard.
I contacted the financial obudsmen and they referred me back to cgu.
3 wks no car and no response from assessor after multiple phone calls and emails.
Never use this company is my recommendation.

Find out how CGU Car Insurance compares to other Car Insurance

The worst vehicle insurer in Australia

Poor insurance company

My car was stolen for two months,Without compensation, they also asked the investigator to conduct a comprehensive investigation of me, including your income, your friends, call records,After two months, the police found my car. I need some repairs. They still try to stop me from repairing.I haven't fixed my car until now.During the claim period, you must pay for your insurance.Don't apply for this insurance company. They only try a thousand ways to make no claims! Very bad

Warren

WarrenMelbourne

CGU got my policy wrong after a month, yeah right.

Hit from behind 1 month ago agreed a figure after 3 weeks CGU got policy wrong and I have to deal with 3rd party insurer Asked to get pictures of car but it has moved from Dandenong to Pickles Dodgy.

Insurance TypeThird Party, Fire and Theft
Care TeamCGU

Hi Warren, not the way we want you feeling during a claim. If you would like us to chase it up - please message us by going to https://www.facebook.com/cguinsurance/ and let us know you're from Product Review. ~Natalie

nothappyjan

nothappyjanGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Never again with this insurer

SarahSouthwest, VIC

Terrible doesn’t even begin to describe this company

3 weeks ago a CGU client ran into the back of our car. Our car is unable to be driven. My husband was waiting so long on the phone to get through to CGU that twice he gave up. When he finally got through he was told there was “a hold up” but no further details. CGU have made no effort to contact us despite photos and their form being forwarded from the panel beaters.
We a struggling with one car- 2 of us working full time and a school child. We are NOT at fault!! Why should we be made to wait! Disgraceful lack of service and understanding. Would never insure with CGU

Wazasked

Car Insurance

Looking at all the reviews in product review - and if these are typical of how this company operates - I don't really understand how CGU remains in business!
I already have a car insured with CGU, but haven't as yet needed to make a claim....one might say thank God for that, because going by the reviews my chances for a satisfactory outcome - should I be involved in an accident - appear rather limited.

I was looking to insure a second vehicle, hence the hunt for an appropriate insurer, but I'm left wondering if I should cut loose CGU altogether and try for another company with much better outcomes.....

What assurances can CGU give me that I won't simply be wasting my time flogging a dead horse should I continue with CGU? You are the cheapest insurance I have found so far, but as an insurance company - is that ALL you are? Thanks Warren Harvey

Care TeamCGU

Hi Waz, thanks for leaving us a question here. Unfortunately people often come to ProductReview after a claim that they aren't completely satisfied, but very rarely do after thousands of great claims outcomes that we have each year.

We are very proud of our customer service and claims experience and I personally don't hesitate to suggest it to my friends and family.

I am happy to hear that you haven't yet had to make a claim, but I am sure that you will be very satisfied with our help if you ever do need to.

Merry Christmas! -Nathan

Waz

Thanks for the quick response Nathan. I do so hope you are right, because we have elected to continue with CGU insurance for our second car. However it does bring to mind that quite some years ago, the roof on our house needed replacing after a hail storm. Indeed, after reporting the incident we did get the job done courtesy of CGU insurance - twelve months later! CGU had forgotten us! So one might say - watch this space!

terry o

terry oasked

Car Insurance

Can you apply for an over 50 discount on landlords building and contents cover?

Care TeamCGU

Hi Terry, as soon as you enter your details it will automatically apply at new business or at your next renewal after you turn 50 :) ~Natalie

Waz

Hi Terry - I'd love to know how it went.

DON18

DON18asked

Hi there,
I understand that you're dealing with tens and thousands of claims due to unprecedented events recently. But I believe, there's no excuse when it comes to not resolving the problem on time. You guys have no patience when it comes to grabbing money from us. I pay over $2k for my AMG. I'm a disappointed customer just like thousands of others. I thought I was in the better hands due to the hefty premium I was paying. Now, I was wondering how long does it take to process a writeoff and replace my car with a new one with the current backlog? I need a genuine answer because I found a car to replace (same make, model & spec) and I'm happy to put a deposit until you sort out the payment for it. Please advise me correctly so I can work things out my way or else this won't get solved for months.

Care TeamCGU

Hi Don, I unfortunately won't be able to answer that because every single claim is different. If you would like to me to escalate your claim and have someone call you about your write off vehicle can you please message us on Facebook http://bit.ly/2pbDydv and let us know you're from product review. ~Natalie

Get an answer from our members and CGU representatives

CGU Car Insurance

Compare all 3 CGU Car Insurance
CategoryCar InsuranceCar InsuranceCar Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Home and Contents and TravelHome and Contents and TravelHome and Contents and Travel
Coverage TypeComprehensiveThird Party, Fire and TheftThird Party Property Damage
UnderwriterInsurance AustraliaInsurance AustraliaInsurance Australia
Legal Liability Cover 300000003000000030000000
Roadside Assistance Not OfferedNot OfferedNot Offered
Reduced or Zero Excess Windscreen CoverReduced Excess Optional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Choice of RepairerAllowedAllowedAllowed
After Accident Care
Hire Car after an Incident

Optional, up to $100 per day for up to 21 days until:

Not Included

Emergency Transport & AccommodationIncluded, up to $500 if you vehicle is damaged in an incident more than 100km from homeIncluded, up to $500 if you vehicle is damaged in an incident more than 100km from homeNot Included
Towing Costs IncludedIncludedNot Included
Hire Car after a No Fault Accident

Not Included

Essential / Emergency RepairsIncluded, up to $800Included up to $800Not Included
Benefits
Pay As You Drive / Fixed Kilometre DiscountNot ApplicableNot Applicable
Hire Car after Theft

Included up to $100 per day up to 21 days until:

Included up to $100 per day up to 21 days until:

Lock and Key ReplacementIncluded up to $1,000Included up to $1,000Not Included
Transit Cover Not ApplicableNot ApplicableNot Applicable
Trailer & Caravan CoverIncluded up to $1,000Not IncludedNot Included
Child Safety Seats and PramsBaby Seat Replacement IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
New-for-old Car Replacement

Included, if the vehicle is a total loss as a result of a covered incident. Your vehicle may be replaced:

• if its a car less than three years old and has not travelled more than 50km

Personal Property CoverIncluded up to $1,000 per claimNot IncludedNot Included
Uninsured Motorist Benefit Not IncludedIncluded up to $5,000Included up to $5,000
Accidental Loss or Damage