CGU Car Insurance

• 1-2 weeks (3)
    • 2-4 weeks (7)
    • 1-2 months (1)
    • 3+ months (13)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (16) · No (11)
Tara Grove

Angry
AngryPerth

Medical treatment

Horrible

I have had the worst experience on the phones, they allowed me to create a policy but not under my name so i couldn’t cancel it:/ and then getting through to them was terrible. Plus there are no benefits, I put it on hold for a few months as my car was off the road temporarily and then they put me back on the road and charged me a heap of backpayments out of my bank without my permission

Cassandra
Cassandra

Still not happy with how this third party communication went... lacking highly

Joan
JoanSydney, NSW

Customer service is terrible!

I called to ask one question regarding the details of my policy and the person who I talked to was super arrogant and impatient. The only answer he gave to me is to ask a lawyer!!! My enquiry is relating to the policy details, why should I go to a solicitor? This is the worst customer service I have ever had!!!!!

Care TeamCGU

Wow Joan, that certainly doesn't sound like the level of service we strive for at CGU. If we can help with a question about your policy please send us a Facebook message and we can help. ~Kaz

Best Super Funds in 2020!

Wendy Z.7 Nov 2019
best-super-funds-in-2020

Best Credit Cards in 2020!

Wendy Z.19 Nov 2019

Slow and Dumb

GregSPerth, WA

1 1/2 hours (2 calls) to transfer to my new vehicle then see what happens

Care TeamCGU

Thanks for letting us know GregS, we are really sorry the service you received was not up to scratch, we will be sure to pass on your comments. ~Kaz

BerievAdelaide

On hold

As I write this I'm on hold. It took 1 hour and 5 minutes to get through, and then I got put on hold again. 1 hour and 42 minutes later, I think I'll give up.

Care TeamCGU

Hi Beriev, Sorry the hear that the phone lines have been so delayed. If there is anything the Social Team can assist with, please feel free to PM us via Facebook Messenger ~Renae

Beriev

I don't use Facebook so not an option. The only reason I'm leaving this comment is to make you aware of how bad the delay is, otherwise you have no way of knowing.

Care TeamCGU

We appreciate that Beriev, we have passed on your feedback to the team to let them know. ~Kaz

Shocking

Loyal cgu customer for almost 20 years. I got the new car insurance policy it went up $ 144 dollars when i phoned cgu about in they given me three reasons no 1 it was my post code no 2 it was my age and no 3 that i was going to make i claim so i went online for a quote and the price for i new member was $360 dollars less so as a loyal customer you get nothing as a new customer you get a great deal even after you email cgu the new quote never ever again with cgu not even a good recommendation policy is now cancelled.

Terrible service

Anthony
AnthonyAdelaide

worst experience ever. would give zero starts if it was an option.

Do not go through cgu ..absolute RIP offs

Car had water damage.
Cgu needed 4 opinions..give the car back unrepaired but still want their excess.
A week later ..all codes on dash and motor affected.

Effie
EffieBrisbane

CGU Insurance Claims Is A Joke

CGU Motor Vehicle Insurance claims process is a joke.
No one can assess a vehicle & deem it fixable then a week later write it off due to damage from when the vehicle was stolen & recovered.
Crash repairers can't fix anything. This get complained about. Doesn't get fixed. CGU put your life at risk. Your family lives at a risk.
You tell them you want a 2nd quote they don't allow it.
They break the Motor Vehicle Insurance code of conduct.
They put you under extreme stress financially, emotionally & mentally.

Jakey
JakeyGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Disgusting

It takes almost an hour to answer the phone,
in the end you get nothing, disgusting, if you have
insurance with them get out now or you will become very
angry and depressed! when its time to make a claim.

Asela
AselaMelbourne

Worst experience ever

Our car was hit by customer of CGU car insurance and due to their customer's fault we were told to get a hire car and pay the price for hire car and send them the receipt, every time we call them they telling different stories and can't even contact them easily, we had to wait more than 30 minutes every time when we call them. It's been more than six weeks and still have not received the money for the hire car.

Care TeamCGU

I called up for a car claim policy, and i was put on hold longer than aeroplane ride from australia

I called up for a car claim policy, and i was put on hold longer than a aeroplane ride from australia to america. Terrible, terrible never go with these people!

Insurance claim madeNo

Terrible insurance company worst experience

The company has left a bitter taste in my mouth the other fella that hits me insurance (aami) was better if u are thinking of insuring through cgu run the other way 5 weeks and my cars still not done atleast 1 more week

Insurance claim madeYes

Car repaired after hours of my time chasing after CGU

I am a third party and my experience has been very stressful and have had to spend hours and hours of my own time chasing it up to get the car repaired and getting re-imbursed for out-of-pocket expenses.
They put all of the responsibility on the third party to get the car repaired, I thought that would be their job.

Frank
FrankSydney, NSW

Cannot claim and long process for nothing.

I rang them to make a claim then I was put on hold for 1hr. What’s worse is the line was cut. Called them back and explained how I was treated. Transferred again and waited forever Got someone on the line and they would say anything to make you lose yourself and get angry and threatened to end the call. Unnecessary questions just to get away from settlement. Never ever again going back.

Insurance claim madeYes

CGU "The House Always Wins"

Do not use CGU. They will do anything to not pay and the worst thing is there is nothing you can do about it.
Complain and they get worse. Purchasing insurance is a contract between you and the company. Trying to enforce the contract if you not happy with it is time consuming and expensive. CGU know this and use it as a tool to under pay or not pay at all. CGU "The House Always Wins".

Insurance claim madeYes

is anyone posting here actually a CGU client?

BEST!! I'm confused by these reviews I've had an amazing experience I got into a car accident and they have been so great replaced all my baby seats I'm so happy with how quick and easy it was to claim (I was at fault) I highly suggest them and confused at the reviews they have personally been great and unbeatable on price

Insurance claim madeYes

Car stolen under CGU repairer care

Small bingle, went to their repair agent, car was stolen. AGREED VALUE....automatically depreciated annually, left me some 10k out of pocket for special vehicle. Claims tried to get me to pay rego which was prepaid on car. Crash repairer basically told me to whistle dixsy, so now my stuff that was in vehicle, whilst in CGU "APPROVED REPAIRER" Care is gone. If you decide to take insurance with CGU INSURANCE, let me say this to you now, " you're a complete moron and deserve it"

Linda Weeks
Linda WeeksSouth East Queensland, QLD

Worst Insurance Experience I have had in 39 years of car insurance

Insurance claim madeNo

Got brushed off for calling for cancellation on the weekend

My mother just called to cancel our registration with them, and just got told that their phone service is "not entitled" to do larger matter than claim and to call back on weekdays. We've been insured for so long but got back nothing on the time of need, and while there are other insurance company that does the registration over the weekend, CGU just happens to not have someone on post to process important matters.

Kateasked
Car Insurance

Can anyone tell me if I’m covered by my insurance if I drive 4 weeks post c section pending I have drs approval/clearance? I can’t find much online in regards to this.

Care TeamCGU

Hi Kate, thanks for getting in touch. Our PDS doesn't have anything listed about driving after surgery. We would recommend you go with what your doctor advises. If they advise you to wait a certain number of weeks, we are happy for you to drive on your doctors advice. Hope this helps. ~Bec

Kate

Thank you for your reply. I rang and that’s the same thing I was told on the phone which is great. Dr has said I’m fine to drive so long as my insurance provider is happy for me to do so. Wonderful news for me as not being able to drive and having 4 children makes it hard. I’m going to wait another week as advised then I can finally drive again.

Care TeamCGU

Fantastic to hear Kate! You are most welcome. All the best to you and keep safe! ~ Rick

Wazasked
Car Insurance

Looking at all the reviews in product review - and if these are typical of how this company operates - I don't really understand how CGU remains in business!
I already have a car insured with CGU, but haven't as yet needed to make a claim....one might say thank God for that, because going by the reviews my chances for a satisfactory outcome - should I be involved in an accident - appear rather limited.

I was looking to insure a second vehicle, hence the hunt for an appropriate insurer, but I'm left wondering if I should cut loose CGU altogether and try for another company with much better outcomes.....

What assurances can CGU give me that I won't simply be wasting my time flogging a dead horse should I continue with CGU? You are the cheapest insurance I have found so far, but as an insurance company - is that ALL you are? Thanks Warren Harvey

Care TeamCGU

Hi Waz, thanks for leaving us a question here. Unfortunately people often come to ProductReview after a claim that they aren't completely satisfied, but very rarely do after thousands of great claims outcomes that we have each year.

We are very proud of our customer service and claims experience and I personally don't hesitate to suggest it to my friends and family.

I am happy to hear that you haven't yet had to make a claim, but I am sure that you will be very satisfied with our help if you ever do need to.

Merry Christmas! -Nathan

Waz

Thanks for the quick response Nathan. I do so hope you are right, because we have elected to continue with CGU insurance for our second car. However it does bring to mind that quite some years ago, the roof on our house needed replacing after a hail storm. Indeed, after reporting the incident we did get the job done courtesy of CGU insurance - twelve months later! CGU had forgotten us! So one might say - watch this space!

terry o
terry oasked
Car Insurance

Can you apply for an over 50 discount on landlords building and contents cover?

Care TeamCGU

Hi Terry, as soon as you enter your details it will automatically apply at new business or at your next renewal after you turn 50 :) ~Natalie

Waz

Hi Terry - I'd love to know how it went.

Get an answer from our members and CGU representatives

CGU Car Insurance

Compare all 3 CGU Car Insurance
CategoryCar InsuranceCar InsuranceCar Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Home and Contents and TravelHome and Contents and TravelHome and Contents and Travel
Coverage TypeComprehensiveThird Party, Fire and TheftThird Party Property Damage
UnderwriterInsurance AustraliaInsurance AustraliaInsurance Australia
Legal Liability Cover 300000003000000030000000
Roadside Assistance Not OfferedNot OfferedNot Offered
Reduced or Zero Excess Windscreen CoverReduced Excess Optional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Choice of RepairerAllowedAllowedAllowed
After Accident Care
Hire Car after an Incident

Optional, up to $100 per day for up to 21 days until:

Not Included

Emergency Transport & AccommodationIncluded, up to $500 if you vehicle is damaged in an incident more than 100km from homeIncluded, up to $500 if you vehicle is damaged in an incident more than 100km from homeNot Included
Towing Costs IncludedIncludedNot Included
Hire Car after a No Fault Accident

Not Included

Essential / Emergency RepairsIncluded, up to $800Included up to $800Not Included
Benefits
Pay As You Drive / Fixed Kilometre DiscountNot ApplicableNot Applicable
Hire Car after Theft

Included up to $100 per day up to 21 days until:

Included up to $100 per day up to 21 days until:

Lock and Key ReplacementIncluded up to $1,000Included up to $1,000Not Included
Transit Cover Not ApplicableNot ApplicableNot Applicable
Trailer & Caravan CoverIncluded up to $1,000Not IncludedNot Included
Child Safety Seats and PramsBaby Seat Replacement IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
New-for-old Car Replacement

Included, if the vehicle is a total loss as a result of a covered incident. Your vehicle may be replaced:

• if its a car less than three years old and has not travelled more than 50km

Personal Property CoverIncluded up to $1,000 per claimNot IncludedNot Included
Uninsured Motorist Benefit Not IncludedIncluded up to $5,000Included up to $5,000
Accidental Loss or Damage