CGU Car Insurance

How to compare car insurance to find the best policy for you

Read now
Buying Guide Banner

• Claim Resolution Time
    • <1 week (3)
    • 1-2 weeks (2)
    • 2-4 weeks (6)
    • 1-2 months (1)
    • 3+ months (13)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (14) · No (10)
kumar

kumarSouth East Queensland, QLD

one of the worst cgu insurance case manager totally no knowledge

hot line doesn't work. I have been hung up on several times. I have been waiting in line for more than 45 min.
Your team doesn't resolve anything. Doesn't call back when they say they would. Dragging out to pay for my claim and I can't get my car repaired
Absolutely ridiculous and useless company. one accident aske pay do claim to spertate what a joke.. give me a date to fix car next may 8th 2019... they said not sure what will happen . no contact nothing further information

ChrisVictoria

Appalling experience - still dragging on through numerous communication breakdowns

Absolute Sh*t

Phone line doesn't work. I have been hung up on several times. I have been waiting in line for more than 45 min.
Absolutely ridiculous and useless company

jo l cCentral, SA

Make the process more stressful, upsetting and horrible.

jo l c

Thanks for the response, my claim was finally sorted, but company still took premium payments after the case was closed, still waiting on my refund.

Care TeamCGU

Let us know if you don't get the refund resolved jo~Renae

williamSydney

CGU/HBF the worst applying experience

william

Dear Kaz, was it actually possible to make amendments? Your reply is about nothing. Apologies but I do not see here that you would resolve such issues for other customers in the future.

Tara Grove

Angry

AngryPerth

Medical treatment

Horrible

I have had the worst experience on the phones, they allowed me to create a policy but not under my name so i couldn’t cancel it:/ and then getting through to them was terrible. Plus there are no benefits, I put it on hold for a few months as my car was off the road temporarily and then they put me back on the road and charged me a heap of backpayments out of my bank without my permission

Cassandra
Cassandra

Still not happy with how this third party communication went... lacking highly

Joan

JoanSydney, NSW

Customer service is terrible!

I called to ask one question regarding the details of my policy and the person who I talked to was super arrogant and impatient. The only answer he gave to me is to ask a lawyer!!! My enquiry is relating to the policy details, why should I go to a solicitor? This is the worst customer service I have ever had!!!!!

Care TeamCGU

Wow Joan, that certainly doesn't sound like the level of service we strive for at CGU. If we can help with a question about your policy please send us a Facebook message and we can help. ~Kaz

James B

Slow and Dumb

GregSPerth, WA

1 1/2 hours (2 calls) to transfer to my new vehicle then see what happens

Care TeamCGU

Thanks for letting us know GregS, we are really sorry the service you received was not up to scratch, we will be sure to pass on your comments. ~Kaz

BerievAdelaide

On hold

As I write this I'm on hold. It took 1 hour and 5 minutes to get through, and then I got put on hold again. 1 hour and 42 minutes later, I think I'll give up.

Care TeamCGU

Hi Beriev, Sorry the hear that the phone lines have been so delayed. If there is anything the Social Team can assist with, please feel free to PM us via Facebook Messenger ~Renae

Beriev

I don't use Facebook so not an option. The only reason I'm leaving this comment is to make you aware of how bad the delay is, otherwise you have no way of knowing.

Care TeamCGU

We appreciate that Beriev, we have passed on your feedback to the team to let them know. ~Kaz

Shocking

Loyal cgu customer for almost 20 years. I got the new car insurance policy it went up $ 144 dollars when i phoned cgu about in they given me three reasons no 1 it was my post code no 2 it was my age and no 3 that i was going to make i claim so i went online for a quote and the price for i new member was $360 dollars less so as a loyal customer you get nothing as a new customer you get a great deal even after you email cgu the new quote never ever again with cgu not even a good recommendation policy is now cancelled.

Terrible service

Anthony

AnthonyAdelaide

worst experience ever. would give zero starts if it was an option.

Do not go through cgu ..absolute RIP offs

Car had water damage.
Cgu needed 4 opinions..give the car back unrepaired but still want their excess.
A week later ..all codes on dash and motor affected.

Effie

EffieBrisbane

CGU Insurance Claims Is A Joke

CGU Motor Vehicle Insurance claims process is a joke.
No one can assess a vehicle & deem it fixable then a week later write it off due to damage from when the vehicle was stolen & recovered.
Crash repairers can't fix anything. This get complained about. Doesn't get fixed. CGU put your life at risk. Your family lives at a risk.
You tell them you want a 2nd quote they don't allow it.
They break the Motor Vehicle Insurance code of conduct.
They put you under extreme stress financially, emotionally & mentally.

Jakey

JakeyGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Disgusting

It takes almost an hour to answer the phone,
in the end you get nothing, disgusting, if you have
insurance with them get out now or you will become very
angry and depressed! when its time to make a claim.

Wazasked

Car Insurance

Looking at all the reviews in product review - and if these are typical of how this company operates - I don't really understand how CGU remains in business!
I already have a car insured with CGU, but haven't as yet needed to make a claim....one might say thank God for that, because going by the reviews my chances for a satisfactory outcome - should I be involved in an accident - appear rather limited.

I was looking to insure a second vehicle, hence the hunt for an appropriate insurer, but I'm left wondering if I should cut loose CGU altogether and try for another company with much better outcomes.....

What assurances can CGU give me that I won't simply be wasting my time flogging a dead horse should I continue with CGU? You are the cheapest insurance I have found so far, but as an insurance company - is that ALL you are? Thanks Warren Harvey

Care TeamCGU

Hi Waz, thanks for leaving us a question here. Unfortunately people often come to ProductReview after a claim that they aren't completely satisfied, but very rarely do after thousands of great claims outcomes that we have each year.

We are very proud of our customer service and claims experience and I personally don't hesitate to suggest it to my friends and family.

I am happy to hear that you haven't yet had to make a claim, but I am sure that you will be very satisfied with our help if you ever do need to.

Merry Christmas! -Nathan

Waz

Thanks for the quick response Nathan. I do so hope you are right, because we have elected to continue with CGU insurance for our second car. However it does bring to mind that quite some years ago, the roof on our house needed replacing after a hail storm. Indeed, after reporting the incident we did get the job done courtesy of CGU insurance - twelve months later! CGU had forgotten us! So one might say - watch this space!

terry o

terry oasked

Car Insurance

Can you apply for an over 50 discount on landlords building and contents cover?

Care TeamCGU

Hi Terry, as soon as you enter your details it will automatically apply at new business or at your next renewal after you turn 50 :) ~Natalie

Waz

Hi Terry - I'd love to know how it went.

DON18

DON18asked

Hi there,
I understand that you're dealing with tens and thousands of claims due to unprecedented events recently. But I believe, there's no excuse when it comes to not resolving the problem on time. You guys have no patience when it comes to grabbing money from us. I pay over $2k for my AMG. I'm a disappointed customer just like thousands of others. I thought I was in the better hands due to the hefty premium I was paying. Now, I was wondering how long does it take to process a writeoff and replace my car with a new one with the current backlog? I need a genuine answer because I found a car to replace (same make, model & spec) and I'm happy to put a deposit until you sort out the payment for it. Please advise me correctly so I can work things out my way or else this won't get solved for months.

Care TeamCGU

Hi Don, I unfortunately won't be able to answer that because every single claim is different. If you would like to me to escalate your claim and have someone call you about your write off vehicle can you please message us on Facebook http://bit.ly/2pbDydv and let us know you're from product review. ~Natalie

Get an answer from our members and CGU representatives

CGU Car Insurance

Compare all 3 CGU Car Insurance
CategoryCar InsuranceCar InsuranceCar Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Home and Contents and TravelHome and Contents and TravelHome and Contents and Travel
Coverage TypeComprehensiveThird Party, Fire and TheftThird Party Property Damage
UnderwriterInsurance AustraliaInsurance AustraliaInsurance Australia
Legal Liability Cover 300000003000000030000000
Roadside Assistance Not OfferedNot OfferedNot Offered
Reduced or Zero Excess Windscreen CoverReduced Excess Optional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Choice of RepairerAllowedAllowedAllowed
After Accident Care
Hire Car after an Incident

Optional, up to $100 per day for up to 21 days until:

Not Included

Emergency Transport & AccommodationIncluded, up to $500 if you vehicle is damaged in an incident more than 100km from homeIncluded, up to $500 if you vehicle is damaged in an incident more than 100km from homeNot Included
Towing Costs IncludedIncludedNot Included
Hire Car after a No Fault Accident

Not Included

Essential / Emergency RepairsIncluded, up to $800Included up to $800Not Included
Benefits
Pay As You Drive / Fixed Kilometre DiscountNot ApplicableNot Applicable
Hire Car after Theft

Included up to $100 per day up to 21 days until:

Included up to $100 per day up to 21 days until:

Lock and Key ReplacementIncluded up to $1,000Included up to $1,000Not Included
Transit Cover Not ApplicableNot ApplicableNot Applicable
Trailer & Caravan CoverIncluded up to $1,000Not IncludedNot Included
Child Safety Seats and PramsBaby Seat Replacement IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
New-for-old Car Replacement

Included, if the vehicle is a total loss as a result of a covered incident. Your vehicle may be replaced:

• if its a car less than three years old and has not travelled more than 50km

Personal Property CoverIncluded up to $1,000 per claimNot IncludedNot Included
Uninsured Motorist Benefit Not IncludedIncluded up to $5,000Included up to $5,000
Accidental Loss or Damage