CGU Car Insurance

How to compare car insurance to find the best policy for you

Read now
Buying Guide Banner

• Claim Resolution Time
    • <1 week (3)
    • 1-2 weeks (2)
    • 2-4 weeks (6)
    • 1-2 months (1)
    • 3+ months (13)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (14) · No (10)
Jakey

JakeyGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Disgusting

It takes almost an hour to answer the phone,
in the end you get nothing, disgusting, if you have
insurance with them get out now or you will become very
angry and depressed! when its time to make a claim.

Asela

AselaMelbourne

Worst experience ever

Our car was hit by customer of CGU car insurance and due to their customer's fault we were told to get a hire car and pay the price for hire car and send them the receipt, every time we call them they telling different stories and can't even contact them easily, we had to wait more than 30 minutes every time when we call them. It's been more than six weeks and still have not received the money for the hire car.

Care TeamCGU

I called up for a car claim policy, and i was put on hold longer than aeroplane ride from australia

I called up for a car claim policy, and i was put on hold longer than a aeroplane ride from australia to america. Terrible, terrible never go with these people!

Find out how CGU Car Insurance compares to other Car Insurance

Terrible insurance company worst experience

The company has left a bitter taste in my mouth the other fella that hits me insurance (aami) was better if u are thinking of insuring through cgu run the other way 5 weeks and my cars still not done atleast 1 more week

Insurance claim madeYes

Car repaired after hours of my time chasing after CGU

I am a third party and my experience has been very stressful and have had to spend hours and hours of my own time chasing it up to get the car repaired and getting re-imbursed for out-of-pocket expenses.
They put all of the responsibility on the third party to get the car repaired, I thought that would be their job.

Frank

Frank

Cannot claim and long process for nothing.

I rang them to make a claim then I was put on hold for 1hr. What’s worse is the line was cut. Called them back and explained how I was treated. Transferred again and waited forever Got someone on the line and they would say anything to make you lose yourself and get angry and threatened to end the call. Unnecessary questions just to get away from settlement. Never ever again going back.

Insurance claim madeYes

CGU "The House Always Wins"

Do not use CGU. They will do anything to not pay and the worst thing is there is nothing you can do about it.
Complain and they get worse. Purchasing insurance is a contract between you and the company. Trying to enforce the contract if you not happy with it is time consuming and expensive. CGU know this and use it as a tool to under pay or not pay at all. CGU "The House Always Wins".

Insurance claim madeYes

is anyone posting here actually a CGU client?

BEST!! I'm confused by these reviews I've had an amazing experience I got into a car accident and they have been so great replaced all my baby seats I'm so happy with how quick and easy it was to claim (I was at fault) I highly suggest them and confused at the reviews they have personally been great and unbeatable on price

Insurance claim madeYes

Car stolen under CGU repairer care

Small bingle, went to their repair agent, car was stolen. AGREED VALUE....automatically depreciated annually, left me some 10k out of pocket for special vehicle. Claims tried to get me to pay rego which was prepaid on car. Crash repairer basically told me to whistle dixsy, so now my stuff that was in vehicle, whilst in CGU "APPROVED REPAIRER" Care is gone. If you decide to take insurance with CGU INSURANCE, let me say this to you now, " you're a complete moron and deserve it"

Linda Weeks

Linda WeeksSouth East Queensland, QLD

Worst Insurance Experience I have had in 39 years of car insurance

Insurance claim madeNo

Got brushed off for calling for cancellation on the weekend

My mother just called to cancel our registration with them, and just got told that their phone service is "not entitled" to do larger matter than claim and to call back on weekdays. We've been insured for so long but got back nothing on the time of need, and while there are other insurance company that does the registration over the weekend, CGU just happens to not have someone on post to process important matters.

Lpk

LpkAdelaide

Thankfully I am not insured with you!

I am not your customer, had to deal with you as the other party who damaged my car is your customer. Your staff are rude, angry and down right liers. After I got the claim number, went ahead to get a repair quote, and called them to ask when the repairs can happen, the obnoxious female staff who took the call told me to go back to my own insurance and make a claim. May be high on meth to say the least. Time to tidy up your act!

Alex G

Alex GGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Waiting on the phone for close to an hour to speak to a human being!

L Cooper

L CooperMelbourne

Archaic claims process suitable for people with time only

Insurance claim madeYes

Suitable for people who have patience and time

Made me wait for 1 hour and 05 minutes Then My battery died. I gave them a call back and again another 57 minute...what a waste of time...
They have no email id either to contact on google or website.

S and L

S and LGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Customer Service is Bad

Had a to make a claim.

Every time I called up and transferred and been put on hold for more than 30 minutes in different occasions.

I won't recommend CGU.

Diana

DianaSoutheast, SA

Best service

I was half hour into a 2 hour drive, when a stone flicked up and cracked my windscreen, I called cgu on the way and explained what happened, this was a Wednesday, by Friday I had a new windscreen installed, no questions, no hassles!!! Best service ever!

Karen M

Karen MAU

Accused of committing fraud when THEY haven't paid in nearly a year

R Mraz

R MrazDarwin

Amazing Service

I had to get my cracked windscreen fixed. Made the claim on Thursday and by Saturday it was fixed. The staff were polite and friendly and best of all fast. No dramas.

Gale H

Gale HPakenham

Promise the world, don't deliver

Wazasked

Car Insurance

Looking at all the reviews in product review - and if these are typical of how this company operates - I don't really understand how CGU remains in business!
I already have a car insured with CGU, but haven't as yet needed to make a claim....one might say thank God for that, because going by the reviews my chances for a satisfactory outcome - should I be involved in an accident - appear rather limited.

I was looking to insure a second vehicle, hence the hunt for an appropriate insurer, but I'm left wondering if I should cut loose CGU altogether and try for another company with much better outcomes.....

What assurances can CGU give me that I won't simply be wasting my time flogging a dead horse should I continue with CGU? You are the cheapest insurance I have found so far, but as an insurance company - is that ALL you are? Thanks Warren Harvey

Care TeamCGU

Hi Waz, thanks for leaving us a question here. Unfortunately people often come to ProductReview after a claim that they aren't completely satisfied, but very rarely do after thousands of great claims outcomes that we have each year.

We are very proud of our customer service and claims experience and I personally don't hesitate to suggest it to my friends and family.

I am happy to hear that you haven't yet had to make a claim, but I am sure that you will be very satisfied with our help if you ever do need to.

Merry Christmas! -Nathan

Waz

Thanks for the quick response Nathan. I do so hope you are right, because we have elected to continue with CGU insurance for our second car. However it does bring to mind that quite some years ago, the roof on our house needed replacing after a hail storm. Indeed, after reporting the incident we did get the job done courtesy of CGU insurance - twelve months later! CGU had forgotten us! So one might say - watch this space!

terry o

terry oasked

Car Insurance

Can you apply for an over 50 discount on landlords building and contents cover?

Care TeamCGU

Hi Terry, as soon as you enter your details it will automatically apply at new business or at your next renewal after you turn 50 :) ~Natalie

Waz

Hi Terry - I'd love to know how it went.

DON18

DON18asked

Hi there,
I understand that you're dealing with tens and thousands of claims due to unprecedented events recently. But I believe, there's no excuse when it comes to not resolving the problem on time. You guys have no patience when it comes to grabbing money from us. I pay over $2k for my AMG. I'm a disappointed customer just like thousands of others. I thought I was in the better hands due to the hefty premium I was paying. Now, I was wondering how long does it take to process a writeoff and replace my car with a new one with the current backlog? I need a genuine answer because I found a car to replace (same make, model & spec) and I'm happy to put a deposit until you sort out the payment for it. Please advise me correctly so I can work things out my way or else this won't get solved for months.

Care TeamCGU

Hi Don, I unfortunately won't be able to answer that because every single claim is different. If you would like to me to escalate your claim and have someone call you about your write off vehicle can you please message us on Facebook http://bit.ly/2pbDydv and let us know you're from product review. ~Natalie

Get an answer from our members and CGU representatives

CGU Car Insurance

Compare all 3 CGU Car Insurance
CategoryCar InsuranceCar InsuranceCar Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Home and Contents and TravelHome and Contents and TravelHome and Contents and Travel
Coverage TypeComprehensiveThird Party, Fire and TheftThird Party Property Damage
UnderwriterInsurance AustraliaInsurance AustraliaInsurance Australia
Legal Liability Cover 300000003000000030000000
Roadside Assistance Not OfferedNot OfferedNot Offered
Reduced or Zero Excess Windscreen CoverReduced Excess Optional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Choice of RepairerAllowedAllowedAllowed
After Accident Care
Hire Car after an Incident

Optional, up to $100 per day for up to 21 days until:

Not Included

Emergency Transport & AccommodationIncluded, up to $500 if you vehicle is damaged in an incident more than 100km from homeIncluded, up to $500 if you vehicle is damaged in an incident more than 100km from homeNot Included
Towing Costs IncludedIncludedNot Included
Hire Car after a No Fault Accident

Not Included

Essential / Emergency RepairsIncluded, up to $800Included up to $800Not Included
Benefits
Pay As You Drive / Fixed Kilometre DiscountNot ApplicableNot Applicable
Hire Car after Theft

Included up to $100 per day up to 21 days until:

Included up to $100 per day up to 21 days until:

Lock and Key ReplacementIncluded up to $1,000Included up to $1,000Not Included
Transit Cover Not ApplicableNot ApplicableNot Applicable
Trailer & Caravan CoverIncluded up to $1,000Not IncludedNot Included
Child Safety Seats and PramsBaby Seat Replacement IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
New-for-old Car Replacement

Included, if the vehicle is a total loss as a result of a covered incident. Your vehicle may be replaced:

• if its a car less than three years old and has not travelled more than 50km

Personal Property CoverIncluded up to $1,000 per claimNot IncludedNot Included
Uninsured Motorist Benefit Not IncludedIncluded up to $5,000Included up to $5,000
Accidental Loss or Damage