See the Best Car Insurance in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by CGU

• Claim Resolution Time
    • <1 week (1)
    • 1-2 weeks (1)
    • 2-4 weeks (7)
    • 1-2 months (1)
    • 3+ months (13)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (12) · No (11)
Nicole O'NeillGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

CGU advertise you get no claim bonuses when signing up. I got an unjustified $300+ increase insurance policy renewal

CGU INCREASED MY CAR INSURANCE POLICY $300+ and I have never claimed! They falsely advertise No Claim bonuses! Thieves. Don’t be fooled by CGU!!! I’m taking my business to a fair and reasonable car insurer. CGU are dishonest.

Nicole O'Neill

And none of the above mentioned applies to me.

Nicole O'Neill

You advertise no claim bonuses! I didn’t make a claim and you increased my policy renewal more than $300 and no bonus for making no claims! False advertising!

steve
steve

Not at fault car accident

Justin H.Canberra 2600, ACT

An instance company and that is it

Care TeamCGU

Thanks for the update Justin, I will pass on your feedback to the team. Please reach out if you need anything else from us. ~ Bec

A Kumar
A KumarPerth, WA

Been 2 months since a collision because of kangaroo, and not sure how many more months they need.

glanee
glaneeSouth East Queensland, QLD

very bad, very slow, passing responsibility to client, inefficient car insurer so far

Losing Thousands $$$$

Rachel C.
Rachel C.

I have already done that when ‘Jono’ contacted me during mediation 5weeks ago and yet no-one ever contacted me.

MGL
MGLPerth, WA

Awful

Terrible service. Cancelled two years ago. Still deducted, each month, for car insurance, from an account that was not used. Formal complaint made. This is necessary, with a company like this.

Insurance TypeComprehensive

My viewSouth East Queensland, QLD

IT IS LIKE HAVING NO INSURANCE - DON'T WASTE TIME / MONEY HERE

TracieSouth East Queensland, QLD

Never use this company

Worst ever - I had my CC stolen so wanted to change my card details - what a carry on - the end result was that I was refused the information - My insurance was due yesterday I wanted to pay money and they refused. WTH kind of company is this?

Care TeamCGU

Hi Tracie, thanks for your review, what do you mean you were refused the information? Can you clarify exactly what happened so we can assist? Thanks. ~Kaz

Tracie

Are you serious. I was refused the information I do not understand what part of that you do not understand. They would not give me my information they said NO they refused me the information - DO NOT CONTACT ME EVER AGAIN

Craig Sharman
Craig SharmanGippsland, VIC

business buster

beck d.
beck d.

BUYER BE AWARE . NOT WORTH IT.

3 months and still waiting

CGU we all know what those letters truly stand for C+++s give ulcers. I had the unfortunate scenarion to have a second car stolen in 5 months as well as a contents claim for the same night Incident, and here it is 3 months later and I am still left with being no closer to having this matter resolved . While I have been luck enough to have a great friend who lent me money to buy an old bomb until I get paid ouyt its noytgood enough CGU get your act together and stop complaining that I paid so much for the car yet insured it for the agreed value that you were offering on your website. If I dont get itt resolved soon I will instruct my lawyer to sue you in court for the full amount plus their fees and court costs

Care TeamCGU

I am sorry to hear that you have had such bad claim experience Geoffrey, Please PM use your claim details so I can pass it on to the claims team to follow up what is happening. ~Beni

Mal
Malasked

I have comprehensive car insurance with CGU 3rd year now,
with 10,000 kl low millage, is that per year, or for the time i am insured. In the hand book it dosent say yearly.

Tom
Tom

I think this is annually. 98% sure

Tom is correct, its per year :) ~Kaz

Kateasked
Car Insurance

Can anyone tell me if I’m covered by my insurance if I drive 4 weeks post c section pending I have drs approval/clearance? I can’t find much online in regards to this.

Care TeamCGU

Hi Kate, thanks for getting in touch. Our PDS doesn't have anything listed about driving after surgery. We would recommend you go with what your doctor advises. If they advise you to wait a certain number of weeks, we are happy for you to drive on your doctors advice. Hope this helps. ~Bec

Kate

Thank you for your reply. I rang and that’s the same thing I was told on the phone which is great. Dr has said I’m fine to drive so long as my insurance provider is happy for me to do so. Wonderful news for me as not being able to drive and having 4 children makes it hard. I’m going to wait another week as advised then I can finally drive again.

Care TeamCGU

Fantastic to hear Kate! You are most welcome. All the best to you and keep safe! ~ Rick

Wazasked
Car Insurance

Looking at all the reviews in product review - and if these are typical of how this company operates - I don't really understand how CGU remains in business!
I already have a car insured with CGU, but haven't as yet needed to make a claim....one might say thank God for that, because going by the reviews my chances for a satisfactory outcome - should I be involved in an accident - appear rather limited.

I was looking to insure a second vehicle, hence the hunt for an appropriate insurer, but I'm left wondering if I should cut loose CGU altogether and try for another company with much better outcomes.....

What assurances can CGU give me that I won't simply be wasting my time flogging a dead horse should I continue with CGU? You are the cheapest insurance I have found so far, but as an insurance company - is that ALL you are? Thanks Warren Harvey

Care TeamCGU

Hi Waz, thanks for leaving us a question here. Unfortunately people often come to ProductReview after a claim that they aren't completely satisfied, but very rarely do after thousands of great claims outcomes that we have each year.

We are very proud of our customer service and claims experience and I personally don't hesitate to suggest it to my friends and family.

I am happy to hear that you haven't yet had to make a claim, but I am sure that you will be very satisfied with our help if you ever do need to.

Merry Christmas! -Nathan

Waz

Thanks for the quick response Nathan. I do so hope you are right, because we have elected to continue with CGU insurance for our second car. However it does bring to mind that quite some years ago, the roof on our house needed replacing after a hail storm. Indeed, after reporting the incident we did get the job done courtesy of CGU insurance - twelve months later! CGU had forgotten us! So one might say - watch this space!

Get an answer from our members and CGU representatives

CGU Car Insurance

Compare all 3 CGU Car Insurance
CategoryCar InsuranceCar InsuranceCar Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Home and Contents and TravelHome and Contents and TravelHome and Contents and Travel
Coverage TypeComprehensiveThird Party, Fire and TheftThird Party Property Damage
UnderwriterInsurance AustraliaInsurance AustraliaInsurance Australia
Legal Liability Cover 300000003000000030000000
Roadside Assistance Not OfferedNot OfferedNot Offered
Reduced or Zero Excess Windscreen CoverReduced Excess Optional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Choice of RepairerAllowedAllowedAllowed
After Accident Care
Hire Car after an Incident

Optional, up to $100 per day for up to 21 days until:

Not Included

Emergency Transport & AccommodationIncluded, up to $500 if you vehicle is damaged in an incident more than 100km from homeIncluded, up to $500 if you vehicle is damaged in an incident more than 100km from homeNot Included
Towing Costs IncludedIncludedNot Included
Hire Car after a No Fault Accident

Not Included

Essential / Emergency RepairsIncluded, up to $800Included up to $800Not Included
Benefits
Pay As You Drive / Fixed Kilometre DiscountNot ApplicableNot Applicable
Hire Car after Theft

Included up to $100 per day up to 21 days until:

Included up to $100 per day up to 21 days until:

Lock and Key ReplacementIncluded up to $1,000Included up to $1,000Not Included
Transit Cover Not ApplicableNot ApplicableNot Applicable
Trailer & Caravan CoverIncluded up to $1,000Not IncludedNot Included
Child Safety Seats and PramsBaby Seat Replacement IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
New-for-old Car Replacement

Included, if the vehicle is a total loss as a result of a covered incident. Your vehicle may be replaced:

• if its a car less than three years old and has not travelled more than 50km

Personal Property CoverIncluded up to $1,000 per claimNot IncludedNot Included
Uninsured Motorist Benefit Not IncludedIncluded up to $5,000Included up to $5,000
Accidental Loss or Damage