CGU Car Insurance
See the Best Car Insurance in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by CGU

• Claim Resolution Time
    • <1 week (1)
    • 1-2 weeks (1)
    • 2-4 weeks (7)
    • 1-2 months (1)
    • 3+ months (13)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (12) · No (11)
L.LeGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Took 1 YEAR for 1 claims, and still on going troubles with court order!!! Worse insurance company ever!!!

Istiaque A.
Istiaque A.Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Horrible in Handling Claim

Care TeamCGU

Hi Istaque, I am aware you have brought this to our attention on social media and know you have been in touch with us since posting this. I do hope you get the resolution you are after and apologies for the way we've left you feeling. ~Natalie

Gul
GulSydney, NSW

Liars!!!

I wouldn't give 1 star either. They never solve my problem and not even willing to solve the problem. I am waiting for more than 3 months to get fixed my car where the CGU's client at fault and CGU's response is "waiting for client's reply, so they can meet their obligations" and that "reply" is taking for that long and when I ask how long is going to take, they say "we don't know and we don't give time frame". Such a rip off company, liar, 0 customer service, lazy employees. You wait for at least 30 minutes to speak with the agent, when they answer your call, they even not apologatic, instead they are rude and never solve your problem. Not recommended, stay away from this company, hope they go for bankruptcy.

D D.
D D.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Wow, these guys are really terrible!

Find out how CGU Car Insurance compares to other Car Insurance

Worst Insurer due to claims process, painful nothing but hassles.

Danny
DannySydney, NSW

Rubbish

Had a crash and now my car is sitting at home waiting for it to be towed and assessed and they still cant come after over a week so Im gonna tow it myself.

Insurance TypeComprehensive
annaGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

STAY AWAY FROM CGU

WARNING to steer away from CGU! Worst company ever! They will try and find any policy to try not to pay you what is rightfully yours. Even the top manager will fabricate his own policy to get away with not paying you and us workaholics cant afford expensive lawyers to fight against them. Do yourself and everyone else you know a favour - STAY AWAY.

Insurance TypeComprehensive, Compulsory Third Party, Third Party Property Damage, Third Party, Fire and Theft and Veteran, Vintage and Classic Vehicle

Thanks Natalie.

We compared reviews on the Top 5 Most Popular Car Insurance Providers

Avleen M.
Avleen M.1 June 2020
we-compared-reviews-on-the-top-5-most-popular-car-insurance-providers

Horrible! Company that provides misleading information.

We have been with this insurance company for 3 years and it is only when it comes to being involved in a car crash that you realise how unreliable they are. Signed us up for insurance telling us that an under 25 driver was insured. When it has come time to claim a not at fault collision, it has been rejected because the cover had 'inexperienced driver' not 'age' as the excess. We were not explained this at the time of commitment.
Contacted the company and was told because the original conversation occurred in person, not over the phone there was no evidence/recording and that we essentially had no rights.
Company doesn't care about customers, only about dollars.
Wouldn't recommend to anyone.

Neb-Maat-ReAU

Bureaucratic, argumentative & unpleasant to deal with

Find out how CGU Car Insurance compares to other Car Insurance

The Worst Insurance decision of my life.

The worst experience ever. I will never recommend CGU and cannot wait for the day I leave. CGU do not deserve a 1 star rating but that is the lowest I can give them.
Been with them 6mths.
I have contacted CGU over 10 times over 3wks and have never had a response.
There communication systems are call centres overseas and the assessor here never speaks to you. They have had my car 3 wks and they treat people with total disregard.
I contacted the financial obudsmen and they referred me back to cgu.
3 wks no car and no response from assessor after multiple phone calls and emails.
Never use this company is my recommendation.

Dom T.

The worst vehicle insurer in Australia

Poor insurance company

My car was stolen for two months,Without compensation, they also asked the investigator to conduct a comprehensive investigation of me, including your income, your friends, call records,After two months, the police found my car. I need some repairs. They still try to stop me from repairing.I haven't fixed my car until now.During the claim period, you must pay for your insurance.Don't apply for this insurance company. They only try a thousand ways to make no claims! Very bad

Warren
WarrenMelbourne

CGU got my policy wrong after a month, yeah right.

Hit from behind 1 month ago agreed a figure after 3 weeks CGU got policy wrong and I have to deal with 3rd party insurer Asked to get pictures of car but it has moved from Dandenong to Pickles Dodgy.

Insurance TypeThird Party, Fire and Theft
Care TeamCGU

Hi Warren, not the way we want you feeling during a claim. If you would like us to chase it up - please message us by going to https://www.facebook.com/cguinsurance/ and let us know you're from Product Review. ~Natalie

nothappyjan
nothappyjanGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Never again with this insurer

SarahSouthwest, VIC

Terrible doesn’t even begin to describe this company

3 weeks ago a CGU client ran into the back of our car. Our car is unable to be driven. My husband was waiting so long on the phone to get through to CGU that twice he gave up. When he finally got through he was told there was “a hold up” but no further details. CGU have made no effort to contact us despite photos and their form being forwarded from the panel beaters.
We a struggling with one car- 2 of us working full time and a school child. We are NOT at fault!! Why should we be made to wait! Disgraceful lack of service and understanding. Would never insure with CGU

Angeline
AngelinePerth, WA

Hopeless service from CGU

Insurance TypeComprehensive and Compulsory Third Party
kumar
kumarSouth East Queensland, QLD

one of the worst cgu insurance case manager totally no knowledge

hot line doesn't work. I have been hung up on several times. I have been waiting in line for more than 45 min.
Your team doesn't resolve anything. Doesn't call back when they say they would. Dragging out to pay for my claim and I can't get my car repaired
Absolutely ridiculous and useless company. one accident aske pay do claim to spertate what a joke.. give me a date to fix car next may 8th 2019... they said not sure what will happen . no contact nothing further information

ChrisVictoria

Appalling experience - still dragging on through numerous communication breakdowns

Absolute Sh*t

Phone line doesn't work. I have been hung up on several times. I have been waiting in line for more than 45 min.
Absolutely ridiculous and useless company

jo l cCentral, SA

Make the process more stressful, upsetting and horrible.

jo l c

Thanks for the response, my claim was finally sorted, but company still took premium payments after the case was closed, still waiting on my refund.

Care TeamCGU

Let us know if you don't get the refund resolved jo~Renae

williamSydney

CGU/HBF the worst applying experience

william

Dear Kaz, was it actually possible to make amendments? Your reply is about nothing. Apologies but I do not see here that you would resolve such issues for other customers in the future.

Tara Grove

Angry
AngryPerth

Medical treatment

Horrible

I have had the worst experience on the phones, they allowed me to create a policy but not under my name so i couldn’t cancel it:/ and then getting through to them was terrible. Plus there are no benefits, I put it on hold for a few months as my car was off the road temporarily and then they put me back on the road and charged me a heap of backpayments out of my bank without my permission

Cassandra
Cassandra

Still not happy with how this third party communication went... lacking highly