How to compare car insurance to find the best policy for you

Read now
Buying Guide Banner

• Claim Resolution Time
    • <1 week (1)
    • 1-2 weeks (1)
    • 2-4 weeks (6)
    • 1-2 months (1)
    • 3+ months (13)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (11) · No (11)
A Kumar

A KumarPerth, WA

Been 2 months since a collision because of kangaroo, and not sure how many more months they need.

glanee

glaneeSouth East Queensland, QLD

very bad, very slow, passing responsibility to client, inefficient car insurer so far

Losing Thousands $$$$

Rachel C.
Rachel C.

I have already done that when ‘Jono’ contacted me during mediation 5weeks ago and yet no-one ever contacted me.

MGL

MGLPerth, WA

Appalling customer service. Charged for 2.5 years for a car that was no longer mine. Told no refund possible.

Nathan D.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

My viewSouth East Queensland, QLD

IT IS LIKE HAVING NO INSURANCE - DON'T WASTE TIME / MONEY HERE

TracieSouth East Queensland, QLD

Never use this company

Worst ever - I had my CC stolen so wanted to change my card details - what a carry on - the end result was that I was refused the information - My insurance was due yesterday I wanted to pay money and they refused. WTH kind of company is this?

Care TeamCGU

Hi Tracie, thanks for your review, what do you mean you were refused the information? Can you clarify exactly what happened so we can assist? Thanks. ~Kaz

Tracie

Are you serious. I was refused the information I do not understand what part of that you do not understand. They would not give me my information they said NO they refused me the information - DO NOT CONTACT ME EVER AGAIN

Craig Sharman

Craig SharmanGippsland, VIC

business buster

beck d.

beck d.

BUYER BE AWARE . NOT WORTH IT.

3 months and still waiting

CGU we all know what those letters truly stand for C+++s give ulcers. I had the unfortunate scenarion to have a second car stolen in 5 months as well as a contents claim for the same night Incident, and here it is 3 months later and I am still left with being no closer to having this matter resolved . While I have been luck enough to have a great friend who lent me money to buy an old bomb until I get paid ouyt its noytgood enough CGU get your act together and stop complaining that I paid so much for the car yet insured it for the agreed value that you were offering on your website. If I dont get itt resolved soon I will instruct my lawyer to sue you in court for the full amount plus their fees and court costs

Care TeamCGU

I am sorry to hear that you have had such bad claim experience Geoffrey, Please PM use your claim details so I can pass it on to the claims team to follow up what is happening. ~Beni

LexiPerth

STAY AWAY FROM HBF & CGU

They took 2 policies out of direct debit from my car for over 16 months.
I have one car one driver. Instead of cancelling one policy they kept deducting monthly for 2 policies. Only found the issue when I reviewed the policy cover. The policies were sold by HBF. After finally resolving issue. No apologies were given, a cheque was issued with a wrong name, no loss or compensation was offered or provide and on top of that to disgust, HBF sent a letter to charge me for cost of policy increase as my car insurance was removed from my multi policy discount. Never again with HBF or CGU!

NDS

NDSSydney, NSW

Very price orientated Insurer and NO loyalty or incentive considerations for the Customer

3 months without car because of minor damages under $ 3000

My car was stolen and when it was recovered it was towed to CGU's authorised repairer - 40kms from the city in an area with no accessible transport. After 12 weeks and weekly phonecalls to ask for progress reports I finally get my car back. 12 weeks- must have been a lot of damage I hear you ask? The damage bill totalled $2600, mostly paint for some scratches and new keys. So for 1/4 of the year I had no car and no compensation. Worst insurance company I've ever had the misfortune to deal with.

HazemGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Terrible

My parked car got hit by an old man just before Christma, unluckily CGU happened to be the insurer for the old man. My insurer is waiting for them to acknowledge liability and pay for a straight forward incident, but never happened!
If you have any issue with these clowns regards the following:
-If you gave instructions and they weren’t followed.
-Where you dispute liability for a car accident or insurance excess.
-Delays in making a decision.

Try to make a complaint online directly to AFCA (Australian Financial Complaints Authority)

Care TeamCGU

Hey Hazem. Sorry to hear about your claim experience. If there is anything we can do to assist you, please send us a private message here or at our facebook page and we can contact claims on your behalf. Hope to hear from you soon ~ Lizzy

Hazem

It's very simple guys!!! Just pay my insurer for the damage & close the claim so I can get my money that been held for over 3 months because of lack of communication.
Claim No: CGU192178846

Care TeamCGU

Hi Hazem, we have escalated your comments over to the claims team, thanks again.

Courtney

CourtneySouth East Queensland, QLD

If I could give zero stars I would

Muhammad AlamMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

WORST EVER

They are lazy, inefficient, liar and time killer. Keep me on hold everyday for 20/30 mins and nobody talks to me finally. Such a rubbish company in Australia, can't believe it!

Insurance TypeCompulsory Third Party
Care TeamCGU

Thanks for letting us know Muhammad, are you able to please PM us your claim details to Facebook & let us know you're from ProductReview so we can escalate it further - http://bit.ly/2pbDydv. ~Natalie

On hold for 3 hours

Ruth Mendones
Ruth Mendones
Jeremy L.

Jeremy L.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Horrendously Slow Claim Process!

Lodged a claim on 20th January for hail damage, was told the "partner" repairer will contact me within 24 hours to book for an assessment. 2 weeks later receive a call from repairer whilst i was having in a meeting and couldn't pick up. Try to call back repairers to no avail, as i keep hearing the automated message. Called CGU if they can help me book the assessment on my behalf they said no and apparently the best they can do is send an email to repairer which i already did and obviously repairers don't reply emails too. It's been one month my car have not been assessed for damages can't wait to see how long it takes to get my money back from CGU if my car gets written off.

Care TeamCGU

Hey Jeremy, thanks for letting us know about this, can you message our Facebook page with your claim number please facebook.com/cguinsurance and we will be happy to escalate your claim to the manager to get you some answers. Thanks. ~Kaz

Kateasked

Car Insurance

Can anyone tell me if I’m covered by my insurance if I drive 4 weeks post c section pending I have drs approval/clearance? I can’t find much online in regards to this.

Care TeamCGU

Hi Kate, thanks for getting in touch. Our PDS doesn't have anything listed about driving after surgery. We would recommend you go with what your doctor advises. If they advise you to wait a certain number of weeks, we are happy for you to drive on your doctors advice. Hope this helps. ~Bec

Kate

Thank you for your reply. I rang and that’s the same thing I was told on the phone which is great. Dr has said I’m fine to drive so long as my insurance provider is happy for me to do so. Wonderful news for me as not being able to drive and having 4 children makes it hard. I’m going to wait another week as advised then I can finally drive again.

Care TeamCGU

Fantastic to hear Kate! You are most welcome. All the best to you and keep safe! ~ Rick

Wazasked

Car Insurance

Looking at all the reviews in product review - and if these are typical of how this company operates - I don't really understand how CGU remains in business!
I already have a car insured with CGU, but haven't as yet needed to make a claim....one might say thank God for that, because going by the reviews my chances for a satisfactory outcome - should I be involved in an accident - appear rather limited.

I was looking to insure a second vehicle, hence the hunt for an appropriate insurer, but I'm left wondering if I should cut loose CGU altogether and try for another company with much better outcomes.....

What assurances can CGU give me that I won't simply be wasting my time flogging a dead horse should I continue with CGU? You are the cheapest insurance I have found so far, but as an insurance company - is that ALL you are? Thanks Warren Harvey

Care TeamCGU

Hi Waz, thanks for leaving us a question here. Unfortunately people often come to ProductReview after a claim that they aren't completely satisfied, but very rarely do after thousands of great claims outcomes that we have each year.

We are very proud of our customer service and claims experience and I personally don't hesitate to suggest it to my friends and family.

I am happy to hear that you haven't yet had to make a claim, but I am sure that you will be very satisfied with our help if you ever do need to.

Merry Christmas! -Nathan

Waz

Thanks for the quick response Nathan. I do so hope you are right, because we have elected to continue with CGU insurance for our second car. However it does bring to mind that quite some years ago, the roof on our house needed replacing after a hail storm. Indeed, after reporting the incident we did get the job done courtesy of CGU insurance - twelve months later! CGU had forgotten us! So one might say - watch this space!

terry o

terry oasked

Car Insurance

Can you apply for an over 50 discount on landlords building and contents cover?

Care TeamCGU

Hi Terry, as soon as you enter your details it will automatically apply at new business or at your next renewal after you turn 50 :) ~Natalie

Waz

Hi Terry - I'd love to know how it went.

Get an answer from our members and CGU representatives

CGU Car Insurance

Compare all 3 CGU Car Insurance
CategoryCar InsuranceCar InsuranceCar Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Home and Contents and TravelHome and Contents and TravelHome and Contents and Travel
Coverage TypeComprehensiveThird Party, Fire and TheftThird Party Property Damage
UnderwriterInsurance AustraliaInsurance AustraliaInsurance Australia
Legal Liability Cover 300000003000000030000000
Roadside Assistance Not OfferedNot OfferedNot Offered
Reduced or Zero Excess Windscreen CoverReduced Excess Optional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Choice of RepairerAllowedAllowedAllowed
After Accident Care
Hire Car after an Incident

Optional, up to $100 per day for up to 21 days until:

Not Included

Emergency Transport & AccommodationIncluded, up to $500 if you vehicle is damaged in an incident more than 100km from homeIncluded, up to $500 if you vehicle is damaged in an incident more than 100km from homeNot Included
Towing Costs IncludedIncludedNot Included
Hire Car after a No Fault Accident

Not Included

Essential / Emergency RepairsIncluded, up to $800Included up to $800Not Included
Benefits
Pay As You Drive / Fixed Kilometre DiscountNot ApplicableNot Applicable
Hire Car after Theft

Included up to $100 per day up to 21 days until:

Included up to $100 per day up to 21 days until:

Lock and Key ReplacementIncluded up to $1,000Included up to $1,000Not Included
Transit Cover Not ApplicableNot ApplicableNot Applicable
Trailer & Caravan CoverIncluded up to $1,000Not IncludedNot Included
Child Safety Seats and PramsBaby Seat Replacement IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
New-for-old Car Replacement

Included, if the vehicle is a total loss as a result of a covered incident. Your vehicle may be replaced:

• if its a car less than three years old and has not travelled more than 50km

Personal Property CoverIncluded up to $1,000 per claimNot IncludedNot Included
Uninsured Motorist Benefit Not IncludedIncluded up to $5,000Included up to $5,000
Accidental Loss or Damage