CGU Car Insurance

How to compare car insurance to find the best policy for you

Read now
Buying Guide Banner

• Claim Resolution Time
    • <1 week (1)
    • 1-2 weeks (1)
    • 2-4 weeks (6)
    • 1-2 months (1)
    • 3+ months (13)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (11) · No (11)
HazemGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Terrible

My parked car got hit by an old man just before Christma, unluckily CGU happened to be the insurer for the old man. My insurer is waiting for them to acknowledge liability and pay for a straight forward incident, but never happened!
If you have any issue with these clowns regards the following:
-If you gave instructions and they weren’t followed.
-Where you dispute liability for a car accident or insurance excess.
-Delays in making a decision.

Try to make a complaint online directly to AFCA (Australian Financial Complaints Authority)

Care TeamCGU

Hey Hazem. Sorry to hear about your claim experience. If there is anything we can do to assist you, please send us a private message here or at our facebook page and we can contact claims on your behalf. Hope to hear from you soon ~ Lizzy

Hazem

It's very simple guys!!! Just pay my insurer for the damage & close the claim so I can get my money that been held for over 3 months because of lack of communication.
Claim No: CGU192178846

Care TeamCGU

Hi Hazem, we have escalated your comments over to the claims team, thanks again.

Courtney
CourtneySouth East Queensland, QLD

If I could give zero stars I would

Muhammad AlamMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

WORST EVER

They are lazy, inefficient, liar and time killer. Keep me on hold everyday for 20/30 mins and nobody talks to me finally. Such a rubbish company in Australia, can't believe it!

Insurance TypeCompulsory Third Party
Care TeamCGU

Thanks for letting us know Muhammad, are you able to please PM us your claim details to Facebook & let us know you're from ProductReview so we can escalate it further - http://bit.ly/2pbDydv. ~Natalie

On hold for 3 hours

Ruth Mendones
Ruth Mendones
Jeremy L.
Jeremy L.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Horrendously Slow Claim Process!

Lodged a claim on 20th January for hail damage, was told the "partner" repairer will contact me within 24 hours to book for an assessment. 2 weeks later receive a call from repairer whilst i was having in a meeting and couldn't pick up. Try to call back repairers to no avail, as i keep hearing the automated message. Called CGU if they can help me book the assessment on my behalf they said no and apparently the best they can do is send an email to repairer which i already did and obviously repairers don't reply emails too. It's been one month my car have not been assessed for damages can't wait to see how long it takes to get my money back from CGU if my car gets written off.

Care TeamCGU

Hey Jeremy, thanks for letting us know about this, can you message our Facebook page with your claim number please facebook.com/cguinsurance and we will be happy to escalate your claim to the manager to get you some answers. Thanks. ~Kaz

Best Super Funds in 2020!

Wendy Z.7 Nov 2019
best-super-funds-in-2020

Best Credit Cards in 2020!

Wendy Z.19 Nov 2019
best-credit-cards-in-2020

We compared reviews on the Top 5 Most Popular Car Insurance Providers

Avleen M.
Avleen M.1 June 2020
we-compared-reviews-on-the-top-5-most-popular-car-insurance-providers
moonster
moonster

Poor customer service, family left high and dry, do not use CGU for Car Insurance

Graham C.
Graham C.Canberra 2600, ACT

Shocking experience avoid at all costs

Care TeamCGU

Terrible lied to me many times. Complaints handed poorly.

Went through our bank for car insurance with CGU. This was a mistake. CGU are dishonest, slow, inefficient and apathetic. We are currently working through a claim. CGU for the most part won't communicate with us, referring us to the repairer. The repairer refers us back to CGU. Our car is likely to be written off, but no one will communicate when an assessment will be completed. Avoid CGU, we are in the process of pulling all our policies from them. Couldn't imagine the people who lost houses in fires with CGU are dealing with.

L.LeGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Took 1 YEAR for 1 claims, and still on going troubles with court order!!! Worse insurance company ever!!!

Istiaque A.
Istiaque A.Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Horrible in Handling Claim

Care TeamCGU

Hi Istaque, I am aware you have brought this to our attention on social media and know you have been in touch with us since posting this. I do hope you get the resolution you are after and apologies for the way we've left you feeling. ~Natalie

Gul
GulSydney, NSW

Liars!!!

I wouldn't give 1 star either. They never solve my problem and not even willing to solve the problem. I am waiting for more than 3 months to get fixed my car where the CGU's client at fault and CGU's response is "waiting for client's reply, so they can meet their obligations" and that "reply" is taking for that long and when I ask how long is going to take, they say "we don't know and we don't give time frame". Such a rip off company, liar, 0 customer service, lazy employees. You wait for at least 30 minutes to speak with the agent, when they answer your call, they even not apologatic, instead they are rude and never solve your problem. Not recommended, stay away from this company, hope they go for bankruptcy.

D D.
D D.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Wow, these guys are really terrible!

Care TeamCGU

Worst Insurer due to claims process, painful nothing but hassles.

Danny
DannySydney, NSW

Rubbish

Had a crash and now my car is sitting at home waiting for it to be towed and assessed and they still cant come after over a week so Im gonna tow it myself.

annaGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

STAY AWAY FROM CGU

WARNING to steer away from CGU! Worst company ever! They will try and find any policy to try not to pay you what is rightfully yours. Even the top manager will fabricate his own policy to get away with not paying you and us workaholics cant afford expensive lawyers to fight against them. Do yourself and everyone else you know a favour - STAY AWAY.

Insurance TypeComprehensive, Compulsory Third Party, Third Party Property Damage, Third Party, Fire and Theft and Veteran, Vintage and Classic Vehicle

Thanks Natalie.

Kateasked
Car Insurance

Can anyone tell me if I’m covered by my insurance if I drive 4 weeks post c section pending I have drs approval/clearance? I can’t find much online in regards to this.

Care TeamCGU

Hi Kate, thanks for getting in touch. Our PDS doesn't have anything listed about driving after surgery. We would recommend you go with what your doctor advises. If they advise you to wait a certain number of weeks, we are happy for you to drive on your doctors advice. Hope this helps. ~Bec

Kate

Thank you for your reply. I rang and that’s the same thing I was told on the phone which is great. Dr has said I’m fine to drive so long as my insurance provider is happy for me to do so. Wonderful news for me as not being able to drive and having 4 children makes it hard. I’m going to wait another week as advised then I can finally drive again.

Care TeamCGU

Fantastic to hear Kate! You are most welcome. All the best to you and keep safe! ~ Rick

Wazasked
Car Insurance

Looking at all the reviews in product review - and if these are typical of how this company operates - I don't really understand how CGU remains in business!
I already have a car insured with CGU, but haven't as yet needed to make a claim....one might say thank God for that, because going by the reviews my chances for a satisfactory outcome - should I be involved in an accident - appear rather limited.

I was looking to insure a second vehicle, hence the hunt for an appropriate insurer, but I'm left wondering if I should cut loose CGU altogether and try for another company with much better outcomes.....

What assurances can CGU give me that I won't simply be wasting my time flogging a dead horse should I continue with CGU? You are the cheapest insurance I have found so far, but as an insurance company - is that ALL you are? Thanks Warren Harvey

Care TeamCGU

Hi Waz, thanks for leaving us a question here. Unfortunately people often come to ProductReview after a claim that they aren't completely satisfied, but very rarely do after thousands of great claims outcomes that we have each year.

We are very proud of our customer service and claims experience and I personally don't hesitate to suggest it to my friends and family.

I am happy to hear that you haven't yet had to make a claim, but I am sure that you will be very satisfied with our help if you ever do need to.

Merry Christmas! -Nathan

Waz

Thanks for the quick response Nathan. I do so hope you are right, because we have elected to continue with CGU insurance for our second car. However it does bring to mind that quite some years ago, the roof on our house needed replacing after a hail storm. Indeed, after reporting the incident we did get the job done courtesy of CGU insurance - twelve months later! CGU had forgotten us! So one might say - watch this space!

terry o
terry oasked
Car Insurance

Can you apply for an over 50 discount on landlords building and contents cover?

Care TeamCGU

Hi Terry, as soon as you enter your details it will automatically apply at new business or at your next renewal after you turn 50 :) ~Natalie

Waz

Hi Terry - I'd love to know how it went.

Get an answer from our members and CGU representatives

CGU Car Insurance

Compare all 3 CGU Car Insurance
CategoryCar InsuranceCar InsuranceCar Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Home and Contents and TravelHome and Contents and TravelHome and Contents and Travel
Coverage TypeComprehensiveThird Party, Fire and TheftThird Party Property Damage
UnderwriterInsurance AustraliaInsurance AustraliaInsurance Australia
Legal Liability Cover 300000003000000030000000
Roadside Assistance Not OfferedNot OfferedNot Offered
Reduced or Zero Excess Windscreen CoverReduced Excess Optional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Choice of RepairerAllowedAllowedAllowed
After Accident Care
Hire Car after an Incident

Optional, up to $100 per day for up to 21 days until:

Not Included

Emergency Transport & AccommodationIncluded, up to $500 if you vehicle is damaged in an incident more than 100km from homeIncluded, up to $500 if you vehicle is damaged in an incident more than 100km from homeNot Included
Towing Costs IncludedIncludedNot Included
Hire Car after a No Fault Accident

Not Included

Essential / Emergency RepairsIncluded, up to $800Included up to $800Not Included
Benefits
Pay As You Drive / Fixed Kilometre DiscountNot ApplicableNot Applicable
Hire Car after Theft

Included up to $100 per day up to 21 days until:

Included up to $100 per day up to 21 days until:

Lock and Key ReplacementIncluded up to $1,000Included up to $1,000Not Included
Transit Cover Not ApplicableNot ApplicableNot Applicable
Trailer & Caravan CoverIncluded up to $1,000Not IncludedNot Included
Child Safety Seats and PramsBaby Seat Replacement IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
New-for-old Car Replacement

Included, if the vehicle is a total loss as a result of a covered incident. Your vehicle may be replaced:

• if its a car less than three years old and has not travelled more than 50km

Personal Property CoverIncluded up to $1,000 per claimNot IncludedNot Included
Uninsured Motorist Benefit Not IncludedIncluded up to $5,000Included up to $5,000
Accidental Loss or Damage