CGU Car Insurance

How to compare car insurance to find the best policy for you

Read now
Buying Guide Banner

• Claim Resolution Time
    • <1 week (1)
    • 1-2 weeks (1)
    • 2-4 weeks (6)
    • 1-2 months (1)
    • 3+ months (13)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (11) · No (11)

Horrible! Company that provides misleading information.

We have been with this insurance company for 3 years and it is only when it comes to being involved in a car crash that you realise how unreliable they are. Signed us up for insurance telling us that an under 25 driver was insured. When it has come time to claim a not at fault collision, it has been rejected because the cover had 'inexperienced driver' not 'age' as the excess. We were not explained this at the time of commitment.
Contacted the company and was told because the original conversation occurred in person, not over the phone there was no evidence/recording and that we essentially had no rights.
Company doesn't care about customers, only about dollars.
Wouldn't recommend to anyone.

Neb-Maat-ReAU

Bureaucratic, argumentative & unpleasant to deal with

Other Car Insurance

The Worst Insurance decision of my life.

The worst experience ever. I will never recommend CGU and cannot wait for the day I leave. CGU do not deserve a 1 star rating but that is the lowest I can give them.
Been with them 6mths.
I have contacted CGU over 10 times over 3wks and have never had a response.
There communication systems are call centres overseas and the assessor here never speaks to you. They have had my car 3 wks and they treat people with total disregard.
I contacted the financial obudsmen and they referred me back to cgu.
3 wks no car and no response from assessor after multiple phone calls and emails.
Never use this company is my recommendation.

Find out how CGU Car Insurance compares to other Car Insurance

The worst vehicle insurer in Australia

Poor insurance company

My car was stolen for two months,Without compensation, they also asked the investigator to conduct a comprehensive investigation of me, including your income, your friends, call records,After two months, the police found my car. I need some repairs. They still try to stop me from repairing.I haven't fixed my car until now.During the claim period, you must pay for your insurance.Don't apply for this insurance company. They only try a thousand ways to make no claims! Very bad

Care TeamCGU

Best Super Funds in 2020!

Wendy Z.7 Nov 2019
best-super-funds-in-2020

Best Credit Cards in 2020!

Wendy Z.19 Nov 2019
best-credit-cards-in-2020

We compared reviews on the Top 5 Most Popular Car Insurance Providers

Avleen M.
Avleen M.1 June 2020
we-compared-reviews-on-the-top-5-most-popular-car-insurance-providers
Warren
WarrenMelbourne

CGU got my policy wrong after a month, yeah right.

Hit from behind 1 month ago agreed a figure after 3 weeks CGU got policy wrong and I have to deal with 3rd party insurer Asked to get pictures of car but it has moved from Dandenong to Pickles Dodgy.

Care TeamCGU

Hi Warren, not the way we want you feeling during a claim. If you would like us to chase it up - please message us by going to https://www.facebook.com/cguinsurance/ and let us know you're from Product Review. ~Natalie

nothappyjan
nothappyjanGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Never again with this insurer

SarahSouthwest, VIC

Terrible doesn’t even begin to describe this company

3 weeks ago a CGU client ran into the back of our car. Our car is unable to be driven. My husband was waiting so long on the phone to get through to CGU that twice he gave up. When he finally got through he was told there was “a hold up” but no further details. CGU have made no effort to contact us despite photos and their form being forwarded from the panel beaters.
We a struggling with one car- 2 of us working full time and a school child. We are NOT at fault!! Why should we be made to wait! Disgraceful lack of service and understanding. Would never insure with CGU

Angeline
AngelinePerth, WA

Hopeless service from CGU

kumar
kumarSouth East Queensland, QLD

one of the worst cgu insurance case manager totally no knowledge

hot line doesn't work. I have been hung up on several times. I have been waiting in line for more than 45 min.
Your team doesn't resolve anything. Doesn't call back when they say they would. Dragging out to pay for my claim and I can't get my car repaired
Absolutely ridiculous and useless company. one accident aske pay do claim to spertate what a joke.. give me a date to fix car next may 8th 2019... they said not sure what will happen . no contact nothing further information

ChrisVictoria

Appalling experience - still dragging on through numerous communication breakdowns

Absolute Sh*t

Phone line doesn't work. I have been hung up on several times. I have been waiting in line for more than 45 min.
Absolutely ridiculous and useless company

jo l cCentral, SA

Make the process more stressful, upsetting and horrible.

Insurance claim madeYes
jo l c

Thanks for the response, my claim was finally sorted, but company still took premium payments after the case was closed, still waiting on my refund.

Care TeamCGU

Let us know if you don't get the refund resolved jo~Renae

williamSydney

CGU/HBF the worst applying experience

Insurance claim madeNo
william

Dear Kaz, was it actually possible to make amendments? Your reply is about nothing. Apologies but I do not see here that you would resolve such issues for other customers in the future.

Tara Grove
Tara Grove

Terrible claims experience

Insurance claim madeYes

Kateasked
Car Insurance

Can anyone tell me if I’m covered by my insurance if I drive 4 weeks post c section pending I have drs approval/clearance? I can’t find much online in regards to this.

Care TeamCGU

Hi Kate, thanks for getting in touch. Our PDS doesn't have anything listed about driving after surgery. We would recommend you go with what your doctor advises. If they advise you to wait a certain number of weeks, we are happy for you to drive on your doctors advice. Hope this helps. ~Bec

Kate

Thank you for your reply. I rang and that’s the same thing I was told on the phone which is great. Dr has said I’m fine to drive so long as my insurance provider is happy for me to do so. Wonderful news for me as not being able to drive and having 4 children makes it hard. I’m going to wait another week as advised then I can finally drive again.

Care TeamCGU

Fantastic to hear Kate! You are most welcome. All the best to you and keep safe! ~ Rick

Wazasked
Car Insurance

Looking at all the reviews in product review - and if these are typical of how this company operates - I don't really understand how CGU remains in business!
I already have a car insured with CGU, but haven't as yet needed to make a claim....one might say thank God for that, because going by the reviews my chances for a satisfactory outcome - should I be involved in an accident - appear rather limited.

I was looking to insure a second vehicle, hence the hunt for an appropriate insurer, but I'm left wondering if I should cut loose CGU altogether and try for another company with much better outcomes.....

What assurances can CGU give me that I won't simply be wasting my time flogging a dead horse should I continue with CGU? You are the cheapest insurance I have found so far, but as an insurance company - is that ALL you are? Thanks Warren Harvey

Care TeamCGU

Hi Waz, thanks for leaving us a question here. Unfortunately people often come to ProductReview after a claim that they aren't completely satisfied, but very rarely do after thousands of great claims outcomes that we have each year.

We are very proud of our customer service and claims experience and I personally don't hesitate to suggest it to my friends and family.

I am happy to hear that you haven't yet had to make a claim, but I am sure that you will be very satisfied with our help if you ever do need to.

Merry Christmas! -Nathan

Waz

Thanks for the quick response Nathan. I do so hope you are right, because we have elected to continue with CGU insurance for our second car. However it does bring to mind that quite some years ago, the roof on our house needed replacing after a hail storm. Indeed, after reporting the incident we did get the job done courtesy of CGU insurance - twelve months later! CGU had forgotten us! So one might say - watch this space!

terry o
terry oasked
Car Insurance

Can you apply for an over 50 discount on landlords building and contents cover?

Care TeamCGU

Hi Terry, as soon as you enter your details it will automatically apply at new business or at your next renewal after you turn 50 :) ~Natalie

Waz

Hi Terry - I'd love to know how it went.

Get an answer from our members and CGU representatives

CGU Car Insurance

Compare all 3 CGU Car Insurance
CategoryCar InsuranceCar InsuranceCar Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Home and Contents and TravelHome and Contents and TravelHome and Contents and Travel
Coverage TypeComprehensiveThird Party, Fire and TheftThird Party Property Damage
UnderwriterInsurance AustraliaInsurance AustraliaInsurance Australia
Legal Liability Cover 300000003000000030000000
Roadside Assistance Not OfferedNot OfferedNot Offered
Reduced or Zero Excess Windscreen CoverReduced Excess Optional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Choice of RepairerAllowedAllowedAllowed
After Accident Care
Hire Car after an Incident

Optional, up to $100 per day for up to 21 days until:

Not Included

Emergency Transport & AccommodationIncluded, up to $500 if you vehicle is damaged in an incident more than 100km from homeIncluded, up to $500 if you vehicle is damaged in an incident more than 100km from homeNot Included
Towing Costs IncludedIncludedNot Included
Hire Car after a No Fault Accident

Not Included

Essential / Emergency RepairsIncluded, up to $800Included up to $800Not Included
Benefits
Pay As You Drive / Fixed Kilometre DiscountNot ApplicableNot Applicable
Hire Car after Theft

Included up to $100 per day up to 21 days until:

Included up to $100 per day up to 21 days until:

Lock and Key ReplacementIncluded up to $1,000Included up to $1,000Not Included
Transit Cover Not ApplicableNot ApplicableNot Applicable
Trailer & Caravan CoverIncluded up to $1,000Not IncludedNot Included
Child Safety Seats and PramsBaby Seat Replacement IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
New-for-old Car Replacement

Included, if the vehicle is a total loss as a result of a covered incident. Your vehicle may be replaced:

• if its a car less than three years old and has not travelled more than 50km

Personal Property CoverIncluded up to $1,000 per claimNot IncludedNot Included
Uninsured Motorist Benefit Not IncludedIncluded up to $5,000Included up to $5,000
Accidental Loss or Damage