How to compare car insurance to find the best policy for you

Read now
Buying Guide Banner

• Claim Resolution Time
    • 1-2 weeks (1)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (1) · No (0)

Prompt service

My car was a right off after a lad ran into car I was paid out in 8 days cgu did what was needed service was prompt and courteous obligations fulfilled

Insurance TypeComprehensive
Care TeamCGU

Thanks so much for your feedback! Great to hear your claim was resolved easily and fast. ~Natalie

PattoDan

PattoDanVictoria, 3192

First Ever Claim Went Well

Despite not offering products of the same value for money as other insurers, you are best paying more for CGU as their claims process is smooth and easy. I've never made a claim in the history of my policy with CGU but have been very happy with the process.

I like CGU because as they take on board more of the claims process rather than leaving everything to the customer.

Insurance claim madeYes

CGU Understands

Due to a policy misunderstanding with a previous car insurer which has left my record with a black mark, all other companies wanted to either charge me an extremely high premium or said they could not insure me.
CGU were so understanding, and friendly, explained everything in great detail to be sure i understood my policy. Not only am i now insured but i am paying less then before.. One very happy new customer here :)

Insurance claim madeNo

Find out how CGU Car Insurance compares to other Car Insurance

Kiwibloke_inPerth

Kiwibloke_inPerthPerth, WA

Pretty good for me

I had CGU through HBF. I hit a kangaroo and smashed my car up in WA. Had to get RAC to pick up my car which CGU covered, Claim was processed and approved over the phone immediately. Only delays was Ford sending wring parts to the repair shop. No complaints.

Insurance claim madeYes
garrymcg

garrymcgGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Made a claim - no complaints!

We needed to make an at fault claim after accidentally damaging the car. The whole process was painless on the whole and our premium did not go up too much when the renewal came through (+10%... most of which was probably just the standard annual increase we've all come to expect!) Not sure if it was more seamless than other experiences as there were no other drivers involved, but we were very happy with the level of service and the quality of repair.
Hassle-free (at fault) claim

ibidonstuff

ibidonstuffsdfe, 3455, British Virgin Islands

Good

CGU offer insurance that is both cheap and covers all your needs be it 3rd party or comprehensive. CGU are part of the Insurance Australia Group and are governed by the Australian insurers board so you can rest easily knowing that your well backed and properly covered.
If you shop arround you will find that CGU offer what other insures offer but usually at a cheaper rate. Custoemr service officers are helpfull and informative and the call waits into their queues are not long most of the time either. They also have a helpfull online website - where you can get a quote or get your insurance if youre happy with it.
None as yet.

Wazasked

Car Insurance

Looking at all the reviews in product review - and if these are typical of how this company operates - I don't really understand how CGU remains in business!
I already have a car insured with CGU, but haven't as yet needed to make a claim....one might say thank God for that, because going by the reviews my chances for a satisfactory outcome - should I be involved in an accident - appear rather limited.

I was looking to insure a second vehicle, hence the hunt for an appropriate insurer, but I'm left wondering if I should cut loose CGU altogether and try for another company with much better outcomes.....

What assurances can CGU give me that I won't simply be wasting my time flogging a dead horse should I continue with CGU? You are the cheapest insurance I have found so far, but as an insurance company - is that ALL you are? Thanks Warren Harvey

Care TeamCGU

Hi Waz, thanks for leaving us a question here. Unfortunately people often come to ProductReview after a claim that they aren't completely satisfied, but very rarely do after thousands of great claims outcomes that we have each year.

We are very proud of our customer service and claims experience and I personally don't hesitate to suggest it to my friends and family.

I am happy to hear that you haven't yet had to make a claim, but I am sure that you will be very satisfied with our help if you ever do need to.

Merry Christmas! -Nathan

Waz

Thanks for the quick response Nathan. I do so hope you are right, because we have elected to continue with CGU insurance for our second car. However it does bring to mind that quite some years ago, the roof on our house needed replacing after a hail storm. Indeed, after reporting the incident we did get the job done courtesy of CGU insurance - twelve months later! CGU had forgotten us! So one might say - watch this space!

terry o

terry oasked

Car Insurance

Can you apply for an over 50 discount on landlords building and contents cover?

Care TeamCGU

Hi Terry, as soon as you enter your details it will automatically apply at new business or at your next renewal after you turn 50 :) ~Natalie

Waz

Hi Terry - I'd love to know how it went.

DON18

DON18asked

Hi there,
I understand that you're dealing with tens and thousands of claims due to unprecedented events recently. But I believe, there's no excuse when it comes to not resolving the problem on time. You guys have no patience when it comes to grabbing money from us. I pay over $2k for my AMG. I'm a disappointed customer just like thousands of others. I thought I was in the better hands due to the hefty premium I was paying. Now, I was wondering how long does it take to process a writeoff and replace my car with a new one with the current backlog? I need a genuine answer because I found a car to replace (same make, model & spec) and I'm happy to put a deposit until you sort out the payment for it. Please advise me correctly so I can work things out my way or else this won't get solved for months.

Care TeamCGU

Hi Don, I unfortunately won't be able to answer that because every single claim is different. If you would like to me to escalate your claim and have someone call you about your write off vehicle can you please message us on Facebook http://bit.ly/2pbDydv and let us know you're from product review. ~Natalie

Get an answer from our members and CGU representatives

CGU Car Insurance

Compare all 3 CGU Car Insurance
CategoryCar InsuranceCar InsuranceCar Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Home and Contents and TravelHome and Contents and TravelHome and Contents and Travel
Coverage TypeComprehensiveThird Party, Fire and TheftThird Party Property Damage
UnderwriterInsurance AustraliaInsurance AustraliaInsurance Australia
Legal Liability Cover 300000003000000030000000
Roadside Assistance Not OfferedNot OfferedNot Offered
Reduced or Zero Excess Windscreen CoverReduced Excess Optional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Choice of RepairerAllowedAllowedAllowed
After Accident Care
Hire Car after an Incident

Optional, up to $100 per day for up to 21 days until:

Not Included

Emergency Transport & AccommodationIncluded, up to $500 if you vehicle is damaged in an incident more than 100km from homeIncluded, up to $500 if you vehicle is damaged in an incident more than 100km from homeNot Included
Towing Costs IncludedIncludedNot Included
Hire Car after a No Fault Accident

Not Included

Essential / Emergency RepairsIncluded, up to $800Included up to $800Not Included
Benefits
Pay As You Drive / Fixed Kilometre DiscountNot ApplicableNot Applicable
Hire Car after Theft

Included up to $100 per day up to 21 days until:

Included up to $100 per day up to 21 days until:

Lock and Key ReplacementIncluded up to $1,000Included up to $1,000Not Included
Transit Cover Not ApplicableNot ApplicableNot Applicable
Trailer & Caravan CoverIncluded up to $1,000Not IncludedNot Included
Child Safety Seats and PramsBaby Seat Replacement IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
New-for-old Car Replacement

Included, if the vehicle is a total loss as a result of a covered incident. Your vehicle may be replaced:

• if its a car less than three years old and has not travelled more than 50km

Personal Property CoverIncluded up to $1,000 per claimNot IncludedNot Included
Uninsured Motorist Benefit Not IncludedIncluded up to $5,000Included up to $5,000
Accidental Loss or Damage