How to compare car insurance to find the best policy for you

Read now
Buying Guide Banner

• Claim Resolution Time
    • <1 week (2)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (2) · No (0)
john p.

john p.South East Queensland, QLD

Quick Service PLEASANT Claim

I was at fault in a accident last Tuesday 12 January 2021. Car was assessed as a total loss on Friday 15th Jan. 20 January claim was settled and awaiting funds to turn up now in my bank. Quick Service and turn around. Friendly claims team who treated me courteously throughout claims procedure. From the initial call day of accident, I was shaken up from the accident while lodging my claim. They treated me with dignity from the start. Next car will be insured again with CGU. Highly recommended in your time of need.

Care TeamCGU

Hi John, thanks so much for the positive review! We try our best to resolve every single claim as fast as possible. Great to hear you had a pleasant experience. All the best with your new vehicle! ~Natalie

Karin

KarinDarwin, NT

While customer service can be a little slow in responding (heavy workload possibly??) I am very happy with the value of the service provided to me. It's the first time I had to submit a claim and the outcome was excellent. Good repairer, good customer service by CGU in resolving the matter. Thank you!

Insurance TypeComprehensive
Care TeamCGU

Hi Karin, thank you for the positive review. Let us know in the future if you ever need further assistance. ~ Jono

is anyone posting here actually a CGU client?

BEST!! I'm confused by these reviews I've had an amazing experience I got into a car accident and they have been so great replaced all my baby seats I'm so happy with how quick and easy it was to claim (I was at fault) I highly suggest them and confused at the reviews they have personally been great and unbeatable on price

Diana

DianaSoutheast, SA

Best service

I was half hour into a 2 hour drive, when a stone flicked up and cracked my windscreen, I called cgu on the way and explained what happened, this was a Wednesday, by Friday I had a new windscreen installed, no questions, no hassles!!! Best service ever!

R Mraz

R MrazDarwin

Amazing Service

I had to get my cracked windscreen fixed. Made the claim on Thursday and by Saturday it was fixed. The staff were polite and friendly and best of all fast. No dramas.

Inna

Innamelnourne

very reasonably priced and nice to deal with company

Very impressed with the service. After many years of nil road accidents, recently had two: one not in fault and and one in fault. Both claims processes went very smoothly, timely, professionally.

Amazing Service

After my car accident in July 2017 I contacted CGU, from the first phone call right through to dealing with the repairer it was a totally stress free process, each person that I dealt with was extremely helpful and professional - thank you CGU!

Great insurance

Fantastic with my claim. So many whingers. Happy clients dont give reviews which is really sad to see. Every single insurance has bad reviews. Coincidence, I think not. Cant gauge anything through the website

Amazing customer service!!

snowflakes

snowflakesGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Nil issues with my claims

We have 3 cars insured with CGU - all the time we have no issues with our claims - there are once or two claims where we were responsible few other times other party Repairs organized promptly, nil issues with customer service.
Recently I have accident with other driver fault - car was total loss CGU process all once again with out any issued -what I been pleased for consider car accident not the thing you enjoying to be involve and I have had some nausea's and head aches after impact for some time.
We insured for about 10years now - new car I got I insured with CGU.
I presume all depend of customer support staff - some understandable and compassion some just there just for money - we been lucky to be assisted by good people.

Kristy

KristyMorwell

Excellent Service

I have personally had two separate claims with CGU Car Insurance and have never had an issue with the company or their service.

In both situations my vehicle was deemed a total write-off. My claims were processed within a few business days and the payment was processed very quickly.

All of my family are also insured with CGU and cannot fault the company.

I would definitely recommend this company to anyone.

Daz

Daz

Excellent Service

Wandering2

Wandering2Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

I'd recommend CGU

I've had 4 claims with CGU. One with property insurance, which they fixed with no issues at all. Two car claims that were not my fault (rear ended) and another which was my fault. I have found them to be helpful in every case. I guess everyone's situation is different, but honestly, I cant fault them.

Insurance claim madeYes

I've had good experiences with CGU

I've had CGU for contents and car insurance. I've also had to make claims on both and have only compliments to those within CGU I've spoken to. I made sure I had sufficient cover and had a confirmed value for the vehicle so there wasn't any ambiguity. I would recommend them strongly based on my dealings with them.

Tanya

TanyaBrisbane

One very happy customer!

I can only say great things about CGU! After Brisbane's recent hailstorm, CGU were quick to assess my claim and were very friendly in the process! I won't be looking for another car insurer any time soon!

Georgia

GeorgiaKempsey NSW

Good experience w CGU

I made 2 at fault car accident claims w CGU and had no problem with either. Customer service was good and claims were paid out without issue. I changed insurer for a while and am about to go BACK to CGU. I recommend them to anyone who is shopping around.

CGU can't do without them best car insurer

I have been with CGU for 9 years now i find them very professioanl friendly and fast to act when you need them, i have made several claims with them and never had any set backs, i have looked at cheaper insurance companies and they don't even come close, if you want excellent, professional service to meet your needs you can't go wrong with cgu highly recommended.
Professioanl, quick to act, friendly and understanding.

Such a easy process

Had a claim to make after a accident, because I was not at fault there was no hesitation by the claims officer to tell me there would be no excess to pay and no effect on my no claim bonus. I think there is cheaper insurance out there, but I do believe that you get what you pay for, as with most things in life.
Quick, friendly, minimal forms to fill in.

cmc82

cmc82

I found CGU overall very helpful and was glad that they handled the claim quickly.(coz I'd paid so much in premiums over the years). I will continue with them and now recommend them to friends.
Very Quick to claim, no hassles
had to waite 5mins on hold

Overall, I was very happy with the service. They agreed to pay my claim without charging me an excess while they disputed the other party's false claim that I didn't have my head lights on during my accident. (I had a police report stating that I must have had my lights on because the headlight filaments were broken)

The market value for the car they paid out was also very good. I would definitely recommend them.
Insure cars with (limited) rust damage
Claim paid out quickly despite other at fault party wrongly accusing me of not having head lights on at the time of write off accident.
Claims staff helpful and informative.
Able to reduce premium by limiting drivers as well as kms.
of course it would be nice if it was cheaper...

Wazasked

Car Insurance

Looking at all the reviews in product review - and if these are typical of how this company operates - I don't really understand how CGU remains in business!
I already have a car insured with CGU, but haven't as yet needed to make a claim....one might say thank God for that, because going by the reviews my chances for a satisfactory outcome - should I be involved in an accident - appear rather limited.

I was looking to insure a second vehicle, hence the hunt for an appropriate insurer, but I'm left wondering if I should cut loose CGU altogether and try for another company with much better outcomes.....

What assurances can CGU give me that I won't simply be wasting my time flogging a dead horse should I continue with CGU? You are the cheapest insurance I have found so far, but as an insurance company - is that ALL you are? Thanks Warren Harvey

Care TeamCGU

Hi Waz, thanks for leaving us a question here. Unfortunately people often come to ProductReview after a claim that they aren't completely satisfied, but very rarely do after thousands of great claims outcomes that we have each year.

We are very proud of our customer service and claims experience and I personally don't hesitate to suggest it to my friends and family.

I am happy to hear that you haven't yet had to make a claim, but I am sure that you will be very satisfied with our help if you ever do need to.

Merry Christmas! -Nathan

Waz

Thanks for the quick response Nathan. I do so hope you are right, because we have elected to continue with CGU insurance for our second car. However it does bring to mind that quite some years ago, the roof on our house needed replacing after a hail storm. Indeed, after reporting the incident we did get the job done courtesy of CGU insurance - twelve months later! CGU had forgotten us! So one might say - watch this space!

terry o

terry oasked

Car Insurance

Can you apply for an over 50 discount on landlords building and contents cover?

Care TeamCGU

Hi Terry, as soon as you enter your details it will automatically apply at new business or at your next renewal after you turn 50 :) ~Natalie

Waz

Hi Terry - I'd love to know how it went.

DON18

DON18asked

Hi there,
I understand that you're dealing with tens and thousands of claims due to unprecedented events recently. But I believe, there's no excuse when it comes to not resolving the problem on time. You guys have no patience when it comes to grabbing money from us. I pay over $2k for my AMG. I'm a disappointed customer just like thousands of others. I thought I was in the better hands due to the hefty premium I was paying. Now, I was wondering how long does it take to process a writeoff and replace my car with a new one with the current backlog? I need a genuine answer because I found a car to replace (same make, model & spec) and I'm happy to put a deposit until you sort out the payment for it. Please advise me correctly so I can work things out my way or else this won't get solved for months.

Care TeamCGU

Hi Don, I unfortunately won't be able to answer that because every single claim is different. If you would like to me to escalate your claim and have someone call you about your write off vehicle can you please message us on Facebook http://bit.ly/2pbDydv and let us know you're from product review. ~Natalie

Get an answer from our members and CGU representatives

CGU Car Insurance

Compare all 3 CGU Car Insurance
CategoryCar InsuranceCar InsuranceCar Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Home and Contents and TravelHome and Contents and TravelHome and Contents and Travel
Coverage TypeComprehensiveThird Party, Fire and TheftThird Party Property Damage
UnderwriterInsurance AustraliaInsurance AustraliaInsurance Australia
Legal Liability Cover 300000003000000030000000
Roadside Assistance Not OfferedNot OfferedNot Offered
Reduced or Zero Excess Windscreen CoverReduced Excess Optional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Choice of RepairerAllowedAllowedAllowed
After Accident Care
Hire Car after an Incident

Optional, up to $100 per day for up to 21 days until:

Not Included

Emergency Transport & AccommodationIncluded, up to $500 if you vehicle is damaged in an incident more than 100km from homeIncluded, up to $500 if you vehicle is damaged in an incident more than 100km from homeNot Included
Towing Costs IncludedIncludedNot Included
Hire Car after a No Fault Accident

Not Included

Essential / Emergency RepairsIncluded, up to $800Included up to $800Not Included
Benefits
Pay As You Drive / Fixed Kilometre DiscountNot ApplicableNot Applicable
Hire Car after Theft

Included up to $100 per day up to 21 days until:

Included up to $100 per day up to 21 days until:

Lock and Key ReplacementIncluded up to $1,000Included up to $1,000Not Included
Transit Cover Not ApplicableNot ApplicableNot Applicable
Trailer & Caravan CoverIncluded up to $1,000Not IncludedNot Included
Child Safety Seats and PramsBaby Seat Replacement IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
New-for-old Car Replacement

Included, if the vehicle is a total loss as a result of a covered incident. Your vehicle may be replaced:

• if its a car less than three years old and has not travelled more than 50km

Personal Property CoverIncluded up to $1,000 per claimNot IncludedNot Included
Uninsured Motorist Benefit Not IncludedIncluded up to $5,000Included up to $5,000
Accidental Loss or Damage