CGU Home and Contents Insurance

• Claim Resolution Time
    • 1-2 weeks (2)
    • 1-2 months (3)
    • 3+ months (6)
  • Claim ApprovedYes · No (15)
Mirike

MirikeSydney, NSW

DO NOT BUY INSURANCE FROM CGU....they are the cheapest to buy but do not pay out genuine claims

AnnabelleSouthwest, VIC

Stay clear and seek another company

Claim DateMay 2020
Care TeamCGU

Long long wait for approval

Hail storm in January, still waiting for GCU to approve the repair work!!!!
Storm damaged door which they said was wear and tear apart from the fact that no other door in the complex had the same damage because of the direction of the water, and no other door was accused of wear and tear!

Property TypeTownhouse
Home and Contents Insurance

Find out how CGU Home and Contents Insurance compares to other Home and Contents Insurance

Gem MHunter Region, NSW

Long time to get back with a claim and not very helpful when they do finally get back to you

Property TypeApartment/Unit
Claim DateJuly 2020

TonySouth East Queensland, QLD

Unsatisfactory -Damaged Roof during Hail Storm

Property TypeDuplex
Claim DateDecember 2019
Tony

I have messaged the following on facebook
[Number Removed]. PLease contact me again on [Number Removed]. I have posted my issues on Product Review

Care TeamCGU

Thanks Tony, I have asked Product Review to remove the claim number and your contact number as this is a public forum and we would hate for someone to have access to your information. I can see this has been escalated for you. ~Nada

NicknameVictoria

CGU- not for you

A high end premium for little benefit. Poor communication throughout the claim process and needed to keep following up with phone calls. Denial of claim prior to complete report from the assessor.
Shop around.

Property TypeApartment/Unit
Type of ClaimEscape of Liquid
Nickname

Thank you but no, I’ve voted with my feet and left CGU for a better insurance company.

ShaleenSouth East Queensland, QLD

Worst Service Ever - CGU and BUPA Contenst Insurance

Property TypeTownhouse

MattNathalia

Storm Damage Claim

Terrible service. Had to constantly chase up claim with no replies. Sent out 3rd party building assessor who suggested to reject claim as I had opened up roof and ceiling to try and prevent further flooding and claimed this had contributed to it. I pay the premium insurance with incident cover and this is the second time CGU have wriggled out of an incident claiming it was not valid. I do not recommend them.

Care TeamCGU

Matt, if you aren't happy with the decision and don't believe a review will be done fairly if you dispute it you do have a right to head to AFCA where they will do their own independent review for you. ~Natalie

JasonHunter Region, NSW

Don't pay when you claim!!

After moving house we found that there had been accidental damage to some furniture. When I called up to make the claim the CGU employee asked when the damage occurred. I stated that the damage happeed at some point during taking the furniture apart, loading it, transporting it, unloading and reassembly. CGU's position was that unless we could point to specific moment at which the damage occurred it is not covered. I eplained to th operator that I was not willing to lie about the moment the damage occurred or fabricate an event just to get a payout. This company happily takes your money but does NOT cover you, they are unethical and avoid them at all costs.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateFebruary 2020

scott

scottGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Not the best

Used to have house insurance with them. When we had a problem with our roof they wouldn't pay. They said our policy doesn't cover that kind of thing. They put it down to building defect but the house was over 30 years without issue prior to that. My bank assigned them for me which I will never do again. Shop around and get all the details of what is covered. I pay the same price and get all sorts of extra cover from another insurance company.

Kathryn F.

Kathryn F.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Cgu is the worst

Dont go there! We are struggling big time because of cgu, its been about four months now, we keep calling and they keep ignoring us. If you are with cgu jump ship! I couldnt stress this enough

Type of ClaimVandalism/Malicious Damage
Claim DateJanuary 2019

Heath

Absolute rubbish, I will never recommend, deserves zero stars!!

I have been with CGU for nearly 20 years with 2 claims in that time. First one took ages to sort after a cyclone because they tried to get out of paying. Now this one is post a break in, initial approved but wouldn't pay it cash but wanted me to use 'their preferred shops'! They get kickbacks of course. They then reversed part of the claim and then low balled me due to wanting cash due to living remote and needing to defer purchases. It is a cheap practice as most people will struggle to prove ownership of things older but stolen!! I've been robbed twice, now by CGU... They put the FU in CGU. Do not insure with CGU or anything owned by AIG!!! Oh, don't get ducked in by what they say either, money is their ultimate goal, not you!!

Property TypeOther
Type of ClaimTheft
Claim DateMay 2019
Heath

It has already gone through your internal review and same result. My only option is AFCA. People don't be fooled by the response on here from CGU, it is all smoke and mirrors!! They don't actually care...

KCHSydney, NSW

Terrible Service

Been with CGU insurance for 4 years now, in the beginning service was great. The claims process was very efficient. Seems like they have moved the operations to overseas and its just gone terrible. it seems like speaking to some kids who don't understand the claims process. sorry CGU I will be moving all my insurances from your company soon.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Type of ClaimTheft
Claim DateApril 2019
KCH

Thanks for the reply but don't use facebook.

Care TeamCGU

I understand KCH. You can call us on 13 24 80 to discuss this further and escalate your concerns if needed. Sorry there isn't more we can do here, thanks for sharing. ~Jamie

Marg

seems from the reviews they will pay out small costs but not big ones

Marg

Misrepresentation, ill practice and complete lack of integrity !!

My husband and I recently purchased home contents insurance through CGU and were affected by the Townsville floods. CGU accepted our claim initially, sent assessors to inspect the damage and offered us immediate financial assistance then did a complete backflip stating we weren’t covered due to a technicality. Due to their misrepresentation and direction, we disposed of our damaged contents and now they are saying they are not liable for anything. We have lost our entire home and have nothing left. It’s an absolute disgrace, considering we are both serving members of the ADF and were involved in the flood response.

Claim DateFebruary 2019