Chescold RC1180

Chescold RC1180 (page 2 of 2)

See the Best Portable Fridges / Freezers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

davidinarmidale

davidinarmidaleArmidale, New South Wales

Lez
Lez

I have had mine for about 15 years or so, what i need to know is what size inverter i need to run it from my veh.what the wattage output is

Cazzie
Cazzie

Fridge only draws 120 watts. I have a 300 watt inverter the I use to run the fridge (off second battery) while travelling and as soon as I get there I set up on gas. My 10 year old fridge works better than my new one.

Good

Great fridge, not well looked after, yet goes great whenever needed to. Out does other fridges that friends have. Great seat. Worst part is the handles make it difficult to lift.
Purchased unit second hand 10 years ago. Never had a problem. Good sturdy and can take a knock. Camped for 2 weeks at a time on 240v and never had a problem. (Hope this doesn't jinx it. Gas is best provided it is level.
12 volt is not worth using. Heavy and hard to lift when full.

paul .
paul .
spudatthebrook

spudatthebrook

wouldn,t buy waceo or engel and have to worry about charging batteries.Could not find a better fridgein 3 way design
able to stay in one place with out having to worry about batteries.1 4.5kg gas bottle runs for exactly 10 days.No problems on 12 volt if wired correctly.
freezes up fridge area even with divider in

This fridge has put the compressor eqivs to shame. particularly when staying in the one spot for a while. runs very well on gas just be sure and change over once you are set up.
Purchased new in 2001. I have found this a magnificent bit of gear.lots of space and can freeze the who thing with ease.love to 3 way option never been stuck for a coldy
Make sure that you put an isloation unit in if you hard wire to vehilcle batery.just to make sure that you dont end up with a flat.

dickieboy

dickieboyAU

Bad

the company repaired it 3 times under warranty and then refused as it was out of the warranty period by the time we got back from the trip.we now use a waeco no problems no spirit level
the principle is great and when it worked it was brilliant
the unit burned out after 3 days into 1st trip then told had to level it with a spirit level all the time .burned out every trip whole unit 3 times 12v coil once

Cpage66
Cpage66

Says in the instruction manual to use a spirit level when setting up in camp.

Webbo357

Webbo357

Good

All around it is pretty good to have. Keeps really cold on gas, put a bag off ice in it when trav on 12volt to help maintain.
Runs great on gas, easy to clean, goood size compartmet. you can put it anywhere around the camp site & also use it as a seat.
It draws 9 amps on 12 volt so you won`t want to leave it on this setting if the vehickle is not running. Burnt 3 240volt elements out so far @ $115 each.

maxwell42

maxwell42

OK

Adequate when camped but of no use when whilst on the road. Arrive at destination with a warm fridge and low battery, which means no lights at an unpowered campsite.
My Electrolux Chescold RC1180 was standard in my 2001 model Campertrailer. and operates really well on gas and 240v. good solid construction which allows me to stand on when erecting my campertrailer.
I have have paid a lot to Auto Electricians trying to get operation on 12V deep Cycle battery, with no success!! I'm continually told I should replace with new fridge. Need to remove divider to get sufficient coldness on non-freezer side.

Chil

Chilasked

I have a Grey RC1180, bought in Welshpool W.A. back in November 1993, and it has worked fine until now, probably at least once a month for anything from 3 to 15 days at a time. Now I have a problem - it works on gas and 12v, but has stopped working on 240v. Is the part available as a replacement to repair the unit please, and what is the cost? Thank you.

Jmanasked

Where to buy online that is delivered?
Are they still making these?
It looks like no places are selling these new.

Shane
Shane

G'day, try Seabreeze -Gold Coast . They should have them ( that's where I bought mine , albeit 10 yrs ago). If not Dometic , they could give you a dealer that has them. I haven't checked but you generally see a few on eBay 2nd hand and new. The big thing with these is the gas component. I own both (2 & 3 way) if you are a stay put camper & want to hook it up to a gas bottle these are your fridge. If your a stop / start tourer camper look at 2 way. Any questions feel free to ask. Cheers Shane.

Thanks Shane.
The 2nd hand ones look to be pricey, and given the whole gas thing they sound like a bad idea and just asking for problems. I looked at these a year or two back before getting my engel, and from memory there was a good few available online. Now nothing besides bcf and no delivery.
Just looks like they are a bit dead now.

Rob Brisbaneasked

Hi,
Can this fridge be connected to a gas bayonet, part of a gas system in a camper trailer.
the bayonet would be installed external to the fridge box so the only way it can operate off gas would be when the camper is stationery and the fridge box is open.
My gas fitter has asked if it has a thermocouple for safety? i dont know what this is, i guess if the pilot blows out the gas stops?

Andrew
Andrew

No, the gas fitting supplied is a 3/8" BSP-LH (Gasmate) fitting. I've got an adaptor for a POL fitting, but I don't think you can get one to a 1/2" bayonet (maybe difference in regulator). Definitely can only use gas when stationary. It has a thermocouple, which is something to do with the gas safety valve I think.

Rob Brisbane

Hi Andrew, Cheers for taking the time to answer mate!
All this gas stuff is overwhelming...
I have tried looking for the product manual and it does not really go into too much specification detail.
I also tried calling them and was on hold for so long the line just went dead.
Maybe i should just go batteries and compressor to save the headache.

Get an answer from our members and Chescold representatives

CategoryPortable Fridges / Freezers