Chescold RC1180

Chescold RC1180 (page 2 of 2)

Pros

• This 3-way fridge can run on LPG

• Very efficient on LPG (lasts for about four days on a 4kg bottle)

• Silent running

Cons

• Need to buy gas cord and regulator separately

• Reviewers often mention the need to replace their element

Thomas

ThomasGoulburn Valley, VIC

Perfect portable 3way

I've had the Dometic Chescold RC1180 going on 3 years, I brought the unit new I have found it works just a little better on gas then 240 volt, it does work well on 12 volt providing you run 6mm wiring directly to the fridge. If you don't then don't bother using 12 volt also please remember these fridges pull continuous power 120 watts so if you don't have dual batteries and isolators you will end up with a flat battery. The handle design could have been implemented better but all in all it's been brilliant, my mate purchase the cheaper jackeroo 3way fridge and the RC1180 out does it in every way possible.

Replaced 3 elements in 12 months

I bought the 39 litre fridge freezer with my land cruiser the heating element burnt out 3 times in 12 months . I spent 400 bucks on replacing elements .i sold it on eBay for 50 bucks as is until chescold can get an element that lasts I would not recommend this fridge freezer .it would be a good fridge if the elements would last
Was able to run on gas
Burning out elements

davidinarmidale

davidinarmidaleArmidale, New South Wales

Lez
Lez

I have had mine for about 15 years or so, what i need to know is what size inverter i need to run it from my veh.what the wattage output is

Cazzie
Cazzie

Fridge only draws 120 watts. I have a 300 watt inverter the I use to run the fridge (off second battery) while travelling and as soon as I get there I set up on gas. My 10 year old fridge works better than my new one.

Portable Fridges / Freezers

Find out how Chescold RC1180 compares to other Portable Fridges / Freezers

Good

Great fridge, not well looked after, yet goes great whenever needed to. Out does other fridges that friends have. Great seat. Worst part is the handles make it difficult to lift.
Purchased unit second hand 10 years ago. Never had a problem. Good sturdy and can take a knock. Camped for 2 weeks at a time on 240v and never had a problem. (Hope this doesn't jinx it. Gas is best provided it is level.
12 volt is not worth using. Heavy and hard to lift when full.

spudatthebrook

spudatthebrook

wouldn,t buy waceo or engel and have to worry about charging batteries.Could not find a better fridgein 3 way design
able to stay in one place with out having to worry about batteries.1 4.5kg gas bottle runs for exactly 10 days.No problems on 12 volt if wired correctly.
freezes up fridge area even with divider in

This fridge has put the compressor eqivs to shame. particularly when staying in the one spot for a while. runs very well on gas just be sure and change over once you are set up.
Purchased new in 2001. I have found this a magnificent bit of gear.lots of space and can freeze the who thing with ease.love to 3 way option never been stuck for a coldy
Make sure that you put an isloation unit in if you hard wire to vehilcle batery.just to make sure that you dont end up with a flat.

dickieboy

dickieboyAU

Bad

the company repaired it 3 times under warranty and then refused as it was out of the warranty period by the time we got back from the trip.we now use a waeco no problems no spirit level
the principle is great and when it worked it was brilliant
the unit burned out after 3 days into 1st trip then told had to level it with a spirit level all the time .burned out every trip whole unit 3 times 12v coil once

Cpage66
Cpage66

Says in the instruction manual to use a spirit level when setting up in camp.

Webbo357

Webbo357

Portable Fridges / Freezers

Find out how Chescold RC1180 compares to other Portable Fridges / Freezers

Good

All around it is pretty good to have. Keeps really cold on gas, put a bag off ice in it when trav on 12volt to help maintain.
Runs great on gas, easy to clean, goood size compartmet. you can put it anywhere around the camp site & also use it as a seat.
It draws 9 amps on 12 volt so you won`t want to leave it on this setting if the vehickle is not running. Burnt 3 240volt elements out so far @ $115 each.

maxwell42

maxwell42

OK

Adequate when camped but of no use when whilst on the road. Arrive at destination with a warm fridge and low battery, which means no lights at an unpowered campsite.
My Electrolux Chescold RC1180 was standard in my 2001 model Campertrailer. and operates really well on gas and 240v. good solid construction which allows me to stand on when erecting my campertrailer.
I have have paid a lot to Auto Electricians trying to get operation on 12V deep Cycle battery, with no success!! I'm continually told I should replace with new fridge. Need to remove divider to get sufficient coldness on non-freezer side.

Marty K.

Marty K.asked

I have a rc1180 its doing nothing on 240v and gas, no heat at all from element on 240 and on gas it lights up but flame is very low and facing downward is this normal for gas. Is it ready for the tip or could it be thermostat problems I've had it upside down overnight and left it upright for another 8hrs before trying it, can't see any leaks or smell any ammonia from the heat transfer unit I'm stumped it just does nothing?

Jim W.

Jim W.asked

I have a dometic F400 portable fridge freezer which I want to run inside my caravan, I would prefer to have the bottle outside and underneath the side of the van but would need to use a longer hose between 1.5 and 2m long depending on what is available. will it work effienctly with the longer lead.

Shane W.

Shane W.asked

Gas won't start

The Chescold R1180 is a dedicated fridge and freezer combo, able to be operated on 12V battery, mains electricity, or an LPG canister. It is energy efficient, particularly when run on LPG, and works in all weather conditions. It is highly portable and easy to handle. Reviewers like the Chescold R1180's tough construction and durability. People say this fridge is best for long stays, where you can set up and let it run efficiently on LPG, as its less effective on 12V.

This products 12 month warranty is comparatively less than other portable fridge/freezers.

CategoryPortable Fridges / Freezers