Chescold RC1180

Chescold RC1180

Pros

• This 3-way fridge can run on LPG

• Very efficient on LPG (lasts for about four days on a 4kg bottle)

• Silent running

Cons

• Need to buy gas cord and regulator separately

• Reviewers often mention the need to replace their element

Problems with 12v

I have a Chescold RC1180. Works fine on gas and 240v, but not on 12v. It’s in a camper trailer, Anderson plug connection. Power is getting through to our trailer as our 12v powered lights operate well. . A battery charges the separate battery in the trailer. The fridge top seems warm when we open up, but this may be just be the heat travelling through the trailer. The fridge was fully serviced 6 months ago by an expert, with no problems.
Anyone got some advice?
Max

Purchased in April 2002.

240V element

I've had the green chescold for 15 years,
..Never used the 12V. Blown the 240V element four times. [Always on start-up]. Was told to start and get cold on gas before turning it to 240v which seems to work. Was always careful to not handle it roughly so as less likely to damage element. Runs absolutely fantastic on gas.

OK

Adequate when camped but of no use when whilst on the road. Arrive at destination with a warm fridge and low battery, which means no lights at an unpowered campsite.
My Electrolux Chescold RC1180 was standard in my 2001 model Campertrailer. and operates really well on gas and 240v. good solid construction which allows me to stand on when erecting my campertrailer.
I have have paid a lot to Auto Electricians trying to get operation on 12V deep Cycle battery, with no success!! I'm continually told I should replace with new fridge. Need to remove divider to get sufficient coldness on non-freezer side.

Portable Fridges / Freezers

Find out how Chescold RC1180 compares to other Portable Fridges / Freezers

Marty K.

Marty K.asked

I have a rc1180 its doing nothing on 240v and gas, no heat at all from element on 240 and on gas it lights up but flame is very low and facing downward is this normal for gas. Is it ready for the tip or could it be thermostat problems I've had it upside down overnight and left it upright for another 8hrs before trying it, can't see any leaks or smell any ammonia from the heat transfer unit I'm stumped it just does nothing?

Jim W.

Jim W.asked

I have a dometic F400 portable fridge freezer which I want to run inside my caravan, I would prefer to have the bottle outside and underneath the side of the van but would need to use a longer hose between 1.5 and 2m long depending on what is available. will it work effienctly with the longer lead.

Shane W.

Shane W.asked

Gas won't start

The Chescold R1180 is a dedicated fridge and freezer combo, able to be operated on 12V battery, mains electricity, or an LPG canister. It is energy efficient, particularly when run on LPG, and works in all weather conditions. It is highly portable and easy to handle. Reviewers like the Chescold R1180's tough construction and durability. People say this fridge is best for long stays, where you can set up and let it run efficiently on LPG, as its less effective on 12V.

This products 12 month warranty is comparatively less than other portable fridge/freezers.

CategoryPortable Fridges / Freezers