Chescold RC1180

Pros

• This 3-way fridge can run on LPG

• Very efficient on LPG (lasts for about four days on a 4kg bottle)

• Silent running

Cons

• Need to buy gas cord and regulator separately

• Reviewers often mention the need to replace their element

S.Hauck

S.HauckCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Great long term camping fridge

Andrew

AndrewSouth East Queensland, QLD

Perfect for Off-Grid Camping

We have had one and it works perfectly on 240v and gas, less so on 12v. Very frugal on gas - I’ve heard tell of a month on a 9kg bottle! Silent and easy to light and set up. Had to buy an aaptor separately for 12v and it basically is of use only travelling from A to B.

Date PurchasedMay 2013
Gary B

Gary BSouth East Queensland, QLD

240V replacement element.

I recently had the element replaced as cooling on 240V had stopped suddenly. On gas & 12V it was still ok. I live at the Gold Coast & purchased the replacement element from Dometic at Varsity Lakes. I tried to install the new element myself but that was more of a challenge than I expected so I asked an electrician friend of mine to do the work. I now have cooling again on 240V which is great!

The date purchased below is for the element. The fridge must be at least 10 years old & has been many trips including the longer outback trips.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Shane

ShaneGold Coast

Good hard wearing reliable fridge / freezer.

Date PurchasedSept 2011

Love it...would never go back to dry ice!

Have only used it once on a 6 day camping trip but it worked a treat, no issues at all. We run it for a week on 240v prior to camping to make sure all was good And for a couple of hours on gas (side note - you need to buy the gas cord and regulator separately, they don't come with the unit)
We ran it for 6 days and it didn't even use half a 9L gas bottle in temperatures of 30'c +. It kept everything frozen and even froze the milk in the fridge, we just turned it down to low and the food in the fridge stopped freezing but remained icy cold.
Would highly recommend it.

Date PurchasedSept 2017

Date PurchasedMay 2005
Jewel

JewelAU

Love It.

Works brilliant on gas, ,in cooler months I even turn it off over night to find everything still cold and items in freezer frozen in the morning . Great insulation, last trip I forgot the gas hose, managed for 3 days with the meat and 2 bottles of water i had frozen before leaving home. I have wrapped the outside with foil insulation for the summer months. A bit heavy to lift in and out but purchased a flat top trolley to move it around on. Had 240 volt wired into car for longer trips, run it on electricity at home.

Michael

MichaelHelensvale

Great camping fridge

Great little fridge

Have had chessman 3 way bushman for 25 years and everything works just fine, the seal on the lid has come adrift, other than that, for its age, doing just great. Has done many a mile over the years and never let me down. Would highly recommend this brand to anyone wanting to purchase a good fridge.

no problems

Have had the green 3 way chescold now for about 10 years. Travelled around Oz several times. I use 12v when travelling, otherwise on gas when camping. Love it. Have had no problems since new. As others have stated, You cannot use it when camping on 12v a it uses to much power

Chescold 3 way fridge freezer just what we wanted.

Great value for money. 240v at home or our solar set in camp gas when there's no sun and 12v on the road and made by somebody as well known as Dometic.

Thomas

ThomasGoulburn Valley, VIC

Perfect portable 3way

I've had the Dometic Chescold RC1180 going on 3 years, I brought the unit new I have found it works just a little better on gas then 240 volt, it does work well on 12 volt providing you run 6mm wiring directly to the fridge. If you don't then don't bother using 12 volt also please remember these fridges pull continuous power 120 watts so if you don't have dual batteries and isolators you will end up with a flat battery. The handle design could have been implemented better but all in all it's been brilliant, my mate purchase the cheaper jackeroo 3way fridge and the RC1180 out does it in every way possible.

davidinarmidale

davidinarmidaleArmidale, New South Wales

Lez
Lez

I have had mine for about 15 years or so, what i need to know is what size inverter i need to run it from my veh.what the wattage output is

Cazzie
Cazzie

Fridge only draws 120 watts. I have a 300 watt inverter the I use to run the fridge (off second battery) while travelling and as soon as I get there I set up on gas. My 10 year old fridge works better than my new one.

spudatthebrook

spudatthebrook

wouldn,t buy waceo or engel and have to worry about charging batteries.Could not find a better fridgein 3 way design
able to stay in one place with out having to worry about batteries.1 4.5kg gas bottle runs for exactly 10 days.No problems on 12 volt if wired correctly.
freezes up fridge area even with divider in

This fridge has put the compressor eqivs to shame. particularly when staying in the one spot for a while. runs very well on gas just be sure and change over once you are set up.
Purchased new in 2001. I have found this a magnificent bit of gear.lots of space and can freeze the who thing with ease.love to 3 way option never been stuck for a coldy
Make sure that you put an isloation unit in if you hard wire to vehilcle batery.just to make sure that you dont end up with a flat.

Marty K.

Marty K.asked

I have a rc1180 its doing nothing on 240v and gas, no heat at all from element on 240 and on gas it lights up but flame is very low and facing downward is this normal for gas. Is it ready for the tip or could it be thermostat problems I've had it upside down overnight and left it upright for another 8hrs before trying it, can't see any leaks or smell any ammonia from the heat transfer unit I'm stumped it just does nothing?

Jim W.

Jim W.asked

I have a dometic F400 portable fridge freezer which I want to run inside my caravan, I would prefer to have the bottle outside and underneath the side of the van but would need to use a longer hose between 1.5 and 2m long depending on what is available. will it work effienctly with the longer lead.

Shane W.

Shane W.asked

Gas won't start

The Chescold R1180 is a dedicated fridge and freezer combo, able to be operated on 12V battery, mains electricity, or an LPG canister. It is energy efficient, particularly when run on LPG, and works in all weather conditions. It is highly portable and easy to handle. Reviewers like the Chescold R1180's tough construction and durability. People say this fridge is best for long stays, where you can set up and let it run efficiently on LPG, as its less effective on 12V.

This products 12 month warranty is comparatively less than other portable fridge/freezers.

CategoryPortable Fridges / Freezers