Citibank Citi Rewards Platinum

See the Best Balance Transfer Credit Cards in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Pros

• 80,000 Bonus Points when you spend $3,000 in the first 90 days from approval & 40,000 Bonus Points on your first anniversary

• Points Earn Rate: 1 Citi Point per $1 spent

• Linked Diners Club Card has no International Transaction Fees and 2 Citi Points per $1 spent earn rate

• 0% on Balance Transfers for 15 months

• Reduced $49 Annual Fee in the first year

Cons

• $149 Annual Fee after your first year

• 3.4% International Transaction Fee

CategoryBalance Transfer Credit Cards and Rewards Credit Cards
Contact Number 1300 300 470
Card TypeVisa
BenefitsReduced First Year Annual Fee and Sign-Up Bonus Points Offer
Minimum Credit Limit $6,000
Maximum Credit Limit $100,000
Minimum Income $35,000
Additional Cardholders 4
Additional Cardholder Fee $90 p.a.
Minimum Repayments2%
Rewards ProgramCiti Rewards
Points Earn Rate 1 points per $1
Points Conditions
  • 1 Citi point per $1 on International Spend for eligible transactions

• 1 Citi point per $1 on Domestic spend for eligible transcations capped at $10,000 per statement period

• 2 Citi points per $1 on linked Diners Club card for eligible transactions

Annual Fee$149 p.a.
Foreign Transaction Fee 3.4%
Overseas ATM Withdrawal Fee$0
Interest Free Period 55 days
Cash Advance Rate21.74% p.a.
Introductory Offers
Sign-Up Bonus Receive up to 120,000 bonus points (80,000 points when you spend $3,000 in the first 90 days from approval and an additional 40,000 points on your first anniversary)
Reduced First Year Annual Fee $49.00
Balance Transfer Rates
Balance Transfer Period 15 months
Balance Transfer Rate 0% p.a.
Balance Transfer Fee 1%
Release dateAug 2006

Worst customer service: beyond appalling

Tried to get a card. Application sent to correct address but can't be found, no-one can assist. 5 phone calls and hours of time wasted. Apparently, Diners is a premium card but the service would indicate that it is substandard to any other card/process that I have gone through. Everything is done through an offshore call centre where I was constantly given incorrect information just to get me off the phone. When I was persistent, I was put on hold and then after 15 minutes hung up on (twice). Don't bother unless you want to waste your time for no good reason.

Other online reviews indicate that many people have the same problem.

I have given up and will use another card provider but if anyone wants the direct number for the application team, it's (calling from Australia) 1300 729 612.

Application Process

OK points terrible customer service

I changed to this card for the Citibank Rewards points program & to reduce my annual fee from another points based card. The rewards points are about the same as most other nothing any better & the annual fee isn't really with it now which is $249 + $90 for an additional card. Also the overseas currency conversion fees & charges are higher than moth other cards.
Worst of all is the consistently poor customer service from the overseas call centre. They are unable & unwilling to help with anything more than a simple enquiry & if you have a few problems or complex issues (which I have over the past 12 months) then it just gets worse. Unfriendly, unhelpful, they never return your call when they say they will. So I have to call back. Then start all over with the same explanation again because the last person I spoke to has not made appropriate notes, comments or what was even discussed or agreed - so starting over from scratch every time is the norm & each new Citibank person on the phone doesn't seem to have understanding or empathy for the repeated frustration.

Card Start DateAugust 2018
Main Point of ContactPhone
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses, Online Shopping, Overseas/Travel and Special Purchases

It was OK

The rewards program was good when I first got it and the payment terms were good. I wanted Qantas points in particular, but this value whittled away over time to be half the original value.
The annual fee was raised by a large amount to (I think) $285, so I cancelled the card.

Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses

Worst Customer Service, Worst Bank, and Worst Credit Card.....EVER.....

I am located overseas in the US Military when I applied for this card. It took two months of headaches and stress to just get the card in my possession. They needed a physical address to approve my credit for the card, which luckily I have a house I’m renting out. However, the card was sent there and instead of forwarded to my APO box, it is returned to Citi bank. The major issue is when you call their customer service team they only have one way to verify your identity and that’s through the US phone number that you applied with. Being located overseas, I tried to explain that I don’t have a US number so they sent a code in the mail, which didn’t get forwarded again. The only solution was to activate the US phone number, which then I was able to verify myself with a one time code and change my mailing address to receive the card in the mail. However, once I got the card and added to Apple Pay and put it in travel status, I got an alert saying they have to verify Apple Pay, which meant calling them and verifying with the one time code again with the only number they have on file. They kept asking if I have a family member with same name to use their number but when I give them a number it doesn’t validate because it isn’t a number added to my account. Citi bank has no respect to customers overseas, even their US military. Everytime I use the card it gets an alert. I have to call to get the alert off the card 3 days in a row using the US number to validate a one time code sent through SMS. However, one time I called they said the only number that validates my identity couldn’t be used because it has already been used before. So how am I supposed to validate myself with the only way you allow if you won’t allow it. So, I asked for a code to be sent in the mail and I will be canceling this card immediately. It is too many headaches, too much security that is unnecessary. I already gave you my SSN, security word, name, and credit card number. Why is it so important to have a one time code sent to only a US number every time you call because there is an issue with the card.

Card Start DateJune 2019
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses, Online Shopping and Overseas/Travel

Great card

This card offers no annual fee for the first year. I use it for daily groceries as well as online purchases for collecting points. It is very easy to transfer the balance to this credit card using NetBank. No issues what so ever till now.

Excellent Card

Has a very low first-year annual fee and discounted for consecutive years if you reach the minimum spend. Give a lot of bonus points, which can be redeemed for rewards. Just love using the card as it has a great design and have received a lot of compliments for it. Integrates seamlessly with Google pay and Samsung pay. Has complimentary insurance for purchases and travel, plus great customer service. One of the cards I would recommend any day.

NO ANNUAL FEE!

Card Start DateMarch 2019
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses, Online Shopping and Special Purchases

Best multipurpose card suits everyone

Very useful card without any annual fee for the first year. Generous reward points and two priority pass free annually. What else you want. Best reward card with qantas points to help you earn great rewards

Card Start DateApril 2019

Great card and customer service

Easy to apply for and customer service very easy to deal with. It’s not the best rate going around but I also look at the other benefits I get from them. Nil issues

Card Start DateFebruary 2017
Card / Account Used ForSpecial Purchases

Best Credit Card in Australia

This card comes with zero annual fee for the first year. Also you can opt for BT and cash in much cheaper rate. earning reward using a credit card was not this much rewarding with CITI.

Card Start DateJune 2018

The best credit card

It is an excellent card. My deal with the Citi is that I don’t pay an annual fee, ever, I earn generous points, it is accepted anywhere where accepts card payments, I have gone over the limit with no penalties applied and can be linked to a complimentary Diners Club card which can earn more points for you.

Card Start DateFebruary 2012
Main Point of ContactBranch
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses, Online Shopping and Overseas/Travel

Longing for the photo ID days

Been with Citibank for years ever since they were one of the very few credit card companies with photo id on their cards. Very disappointed when they scrapped the photos, claiming that the chip was more secure. I can Paypass my card at numerous locations, gone are the days when they checked your signature, and the hilarious ridiculous days when the checkout person said "your signature doesn't match", to which I replied "look at the photo", to which they replied "but the signature doesn't match, I'll have to call the manager"......................hello, easy to forge a signature, but I can't "forge" my photo, lol!!

Fee is a little high, rewards are ok but usually opt for the gift cards, as the Rewards goods are way too expensive. Reasonable turnaround time for delivery of gift card.
Don't use credit card overseas any more, now use debit cards, and there are cheaper options than Citibank.
I don't transfer balances.

Card / Account Used ForOnline Shopping and Overseas/Travel

But it Promised So Much!

Most things about this card is very good, having personally used it for well over 20 years. It morphed (without me asking nor applying for), from a regular credit card with "bonus rewards" and ended up a high fee card with hidden fees everywhere. Yeah, they just wanted an excuse to "upsell" me, and make a reason to charge me more. Not content with taking the merchant fees from hapless retailers now...they now have to charge for the "membership" to their exclusive club......Oh P L E A S E ! Give me a break!
The final straw has been reached, with the bank now having charged me $100 International Transfer Fee, on top of currency conversion, and conversion fee, when I made a purchase in Euros from a Greek Travel Agent online.
I complained about this particular fee......International Transaction Fee, but was advised they had always charged this (unfair and unnecessary) fee.
I can only hope that more people complain and contact Citibank Visa Platinum Rewards, about this issue.....I already pay about $89 a year membership (as I expect this amount to go up after this review)

Using points a scam-AVOID

Watch out cashing in points for hotels.
I paid an overseas hotel bill with points and $ well in advance through citi rewards program only to find they didn't supply a good credit card number to the hotel ( get this THEIR card bounced not enough funds for a $500 charge!!) . The hotel then charged me again on departure. So I'm now out of pocket $500 to the hotel and 77000 points and $100 to Citi for a 2 night stay!
I've called citi several times and have been told they'd emailed and left phone messages with the hotel. However the hotel tells me they haven't heard from them.

As there have been no steps to resolve I'll be taking it further with the financial ombudsman.
I encourage all the other disaffected customers to do the same. Perhaps we'll get some action in numbers

Card Start DateJanuary 2005
Card / Account Used ForOverseas/Travel

If only could I give 0 star

I really hope I had checked the reviews of others before I applied. The whole process from applying to activating the card was just dodgy! I have called the hotline twice to receive different answers. There is no waiver on annual fee and the services they offer do not suit my needs at all.

Card Start DateFebruary 2019
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses

Rewards (or lack there of...)

I, as most others do, searched for a solid reward program based on spend vs point for airlines (in my case Virgin)
Having just had a positive experience with a spend vs 100k points with Amex, I found (and took a screenshot) a similar deal with Citi bank - Being 100K points. Having now completed the min required (being three months, and over 3k) - I have gone to redeem and found their 100K points in fact turns into less that half, in fact the scheme is for every 2.5 citi points you get 1 virgin... This is/was grossly misleading and was never obvious during the process (though I am sure its hidden within T&Cs) - Had it been, I would most certainly NOT taken up the card offer.

Its misrepresentation in my opinion and I will be closing the account / card asap.

Rubbish

This really is a very dishonest company

I transferred from a great credit company to Citi based on the bonus rewards points. 5 months and many phone calls later they’ve found a way to wriggle out of it although they agreed that I met all the criteria ie- spending the amount within the days, etc.. if you’re thinking of joining based on receiving bonus points really think twice or make sure you going to receive them before you apply.

Coles Rewards Platinum Mastercard (Citibank)

This might not be the correct place to place this review but this is my experience...

1 - Although I did not complete my online application and decided against moving forward on this card the application was processed anyway.

2 - In my application I did not specify a limit and instead opted to be offered a limit based on my income, upon receiving a copy of my credit file I discovered that it was attempted at $60,000.

After contacting customer service to discuss the issue I was told there was nothing they could do and that they are sorry and will not be removing the application from my credit file even-though no documentation supporting this inquiry was supplied.

This card may or may not be of good value but my dealings with Citibank on this matter is dismal.

Avoid at all cost. Applied for one thing ended up getting another

I applied this credit Card for the 100 000 bonus points if I use 3000 in 90 days. After 90 days, I end up using more than 6000 dollars but didn't received the promised points on the internet. Called the Citibank hotline and explained to them twice, the response they gave was the promotion that applied for was 0% balance transfer. I never ever used that balance transfer before. Such a fraud and dishonest bank.

Avoid this card.

I just cut my card up as I found a better provider. Even as I was telling Citibank to close my account down they were trying to sell me balance transfers from other cards. I transferred a balance to this card when I took it up in 2015 with the offer of "interest free for six months". What they don't tell you and found out about later on is that as soon as you make a purchase the interest free disappears. It's a credit card, of course you're going to make a purchase. These guys are total scammers and should be avoided at all costs.