Cloud Nine Original Iron

Cloud Nine Original Iron

• Hair Length Short (1), Medium (1) and Long (1)
  • Hair Style Straight (1), Wavy (1) and Curly (1)
  • Straightening Time 15 minutes
  • Hair Care
tattie11
tattie11Perth

Not as good as the OG Ghd

My old ghd carked it after about 12 years so I needed to get a new one and was tossing up between new ghd, silver bullet and cloud 9. I did some research and was advised that ghd is now owned by a new company and not as good quality as the old. Was told silverbullet is good but cloud9 is the best and is owned by the original GHD owners. Also the cloud9 was the most expensive out of the 3 i was tossing up between Unfortunately I am not really impressed with it, doesn't seem as hot even on the hottest setting and feels kind of like cheap quality. I do wish I got the silver bullet instead . Also the cloud9 warranty is only 12 months in comparison to the silver bullet 2 years and ghd up to 3 years depending on which model

Purchased in June 2020 for $259.00.

JSS
JSS

A bit flimsy

This hair straightner was good while it lasted. Owned it for less than a year before it broke due to it being poor quality. It developed a crack from use that had to be glued back together and now t doesn't work as well as I'd hoped. It was expensive for the overall poor quality of the product.

Purchased for $250.00.

Kelly J.
Kelly J.South East Queensland, QLD

Great while it worked

I bought my Cloud 9 Original straightener 3 years ago and never had any issues. However it has now all of a sudden stopped working. I started to hear a clicking noise in it and the next day when I turned it on, it would beep and the light would come on then it would stop.
I am pretty devastated as it worked so well but 3 years just isn't long enough for the kind of money they cost.

Purchased in May 2016 for $300.00.

Jane
Jane

Great product but sent uk power plug

Great results and heat time excellent, glossy finish and highly recommend.
No snagging, lightweight and long cord excellent. Be careful to purchase model for au as mine was shipped as UK plug and they wouldn’t return.

Ok until it blanked out

Was perfect until it was 2 years old and alarm went off and won’t heat up. Expect more from such a expensive item. Won’t replace with another .....what brand next

Momccabe
Momccabe

Pretty good replacement

I have very curly hair and use this straightener all the time to get my hair straight. It's better than my old GHD hair straightner and does the work quicker i feel.

Pudge
PudgeNewcastle

Ok but probably not worth the cost

Have used this straightener for about a year now, while it’s good it’s not great. I would probably stick to getting a GHD again as it lasted for years!

Claudz89
Claudz89Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Not impressed!

The iron itself is great...but i have had 2 and they both have died! Out of nowhere they have started beeping fast and burnt out heard this is is the heating plates burning out . Waste of money if you do buy make sure you register the warranty online!

Paul
Paul

Like but don't Love

I am happy with the results of the Cloud Nine, when I'm finished the hair is suuuper straight and silky, however I find it takes a really long time to not only heat up but to also get straight hair. I also find that after a while (especially in summer) my hair goes frizzier more quickly

Elizabeth Williams
Elizabeth WilliamsGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Good hair straightener similar to GHD

This straightener heats up very fast but doesn't beep like my GHD did. It works well but only on the highest setting. I find at a lower setting it doesn't work on my thick hair. Overall it's pretty good.

Jed
Jed

Not bad

Not the world's greatest straightener but does the job just fine for wavy hair.The inclusion of a mat for the straightener is great and it's done reasonably on hair after 2 months of having it. Not sure how it'd go for curly hair however.

JP28
JP28Cape Town

Great while it lasts, but it won't last!!!

I've owned two cloud nines - and both broke within a two year time frame. The first one I bought at a salon and they did not make me aware of the registration of the hair iron. When the first one broke (after 6 months), lucky it was under guarantee and I got a new one. The new one broke after a year, obviously just after the guarantee expired. I took GREAT care of the iron - never allowed anyone to use it, but BOTH just started making a funny noise and then didn't heat up anymore. Good product while it lasts, but it won't last.

Loved it for exactly one year

I bought the cloud 9 original exactly one year ago almost to the day. Best straightener ever until it just stopped working. Yesterday it made fizzing and sparking electrical noise when I turned it on and today it just makes a continuing beeping. Very disappointed with the short lifespan for the price tag but loved it while it was working. Much smoother gliding through my hair than my GHD.
Hard to choose what star rating to give because when it was working I would have given a five star rating but only lasting one year is very disappointing.

Mhentschke
MhentschkeRenmark

Not what I thought...

I purchased a Cloud 9 about a week ago and found that while it does straighten my hair, it leaves it dry and coarse. I'm going to try using a lower setting and see if that makes a difference; I already use salon products on my hair to protect it.

I chose a cloud 9 over a ghd as my last ghd was noticably different, and didn't work as well as, my friends older original one. In my experience the quality of ghds has declined with each model they bring out.

Tia
TiaSydney

Does the job

See all Cloud Nine Original Iron reviews

Brigitte van rhyn
Brigitte van rhynasked

My cloud nine is overheating? What could the problem???

Shonz
Shonzasked

No response from Cloud 9 Customer service, except receipt of my enquiry, as below:
Subject: Not getting a good result
Hello! I purchased your wide iron through ry.com.au, after glowing recommendations from two hair dressers and reading reviews online. I have wavy red hair that is quite thick, which I condition well and use a heat protector, I normally blow dry my hair straight with a round pig bristle brush (and Parlux dryer) and then smooth/lightly straighten with a hair straighter for a soft/glossy finish, sometimes when I want a completely straight look I take more time to do so. I have been using a Vidal Sasoon straightener with ceramic plates on 180 degrees for a long time. I was excited to receive your straightener but I am having trouble achieving the result I want/had previously with my old straightner and need advice. I have not changed anything with my product routine but I am finding the new wide iron is making my hair appear stiff and dull rather than smoothed/straightened on 150 degrees, any higher a setting I find my hair smells a little 'toasty' - that slightly too hot smell. The iron heats up very quickly and glides through my hair beautifully and I love that it is so light to handle. I am wondering if there is something wrong with the iron or if I am doing something incorrect or if I should have perhaps bought the normal width iron for my hair? My first ever iron was a wide model and I had no problems with results. I have gone back to my old straightening iron until I can figure out what the problem is. I look forward to your response

Gemma
Gemmaasked

Where can I get my cloud 9 hair straightener fixed? An alarm is going off and I think I saw sparks going off inside it

See all Cloud Nine Original Iron questions

The Cloud Nine Original Iron’s $340 price point leads to high expectations. But do its offerings of mineral-infused heating plates, adjustable temperature settings and efficient straightening make it worthwhile?

For over half of reviewers who awarded the Cloud Nine either 4 or 5 stars, the premium price of this hair straightener made it worth it, as it offered top performance and kept on going issue-free for a number of years.

Features:

• Variable temperature settings ranging from 100-200 degrees help prevent hair damage
  • Ceramic heating plates are infused with the mineral Sericite, which Cloud Nine claims ‘seals the hair’s cuticle and locks in moisture for shinier hair’
  • Suitable for hair with a thin to medium thickness (there’s a different wide iron that works on thick, wavy hair)
  • Heats up within 20 seconds

What reviewers liked about the Cloud Nine Original Iron:

• The variable speed settings, as they offered control over the amount of heat applied to hair
  • It didn’t damage hair and instead left it looking silky and feeling soft
  • While this is an expensive choice of hair straightener at $340, users appreciated the longevity of the Cloud Nine Original Iron, with multiple reviewers owning their model for 5+ years and stating that its performance was on par with their old ghd - if not better

What reviewers didn’t like about this hair straightener:

• A number of reviewers dated 1-3 years ago experienced issues with some of these straighteners, including the unit releasing smoke, make buzzing/ crackling and beeping sounds, and overheating. There may well have been a dodgy batch of these straighteners produced. However there have been no similar reports within the last year, so hopefully the company has rectified the problem-causing models.
CategoryHair Straighteners