2Coleman Instant Up

47%17%36%

The King
The KingSouth Australia, 500028 posts

Simple & Excellent Quality

We bought it specifically for our cross Australia Trip due to the quickness of the set up as we were moving a lot and it was great. We ditched our 8 person tent in favour of this Coleman and we can't fault it. It's survived rain, 90km wind and many many camping trips. Highly recommend.

Reichman
Reichman3 posts
Susie
SusieAdelaide3 posts
  Verified 6
TimG
TimG

Great in theory but once poles stick, it has to be binned!

Bought the Instant 4 in 2013 and have put it up once maybe twice per year since. Just tried putting it up for the first time this year and two of the roof poles that are supposed to slide out of each other have stuck. I've had a few blokes stronger than me try and extend them but to no avail. There is no obvious sign of damage on either, but without them working then the whole tent is useless.

The few times I did use it prove that the concept was good, and indeed it appeared to be a well made item.

Anyone want to buy my model for spares?

Pal
Pal

Incredible tent

This tent is incredible! It's lightweight, inexpensive and easy to set up! I have camped using this tent for two years now. During this time I have found myself in two storms. The tent did not leak and withstood the windy conditions. Not a single drop of water got through and the rain was bucketing down during both storms.

During warmer weather if the widows are open it's not too bad and during colder weather, zero degrees and below, it does gets a little cold but that's to be expected so snug up.

The tent is just as easy to take down. I love this tent and would definitely buy it again!

LooviGoulburn Valley, VIC16 posts

Great setup time

Wow, I am impressed with the setup time, so quick and easy, I love it, but, it is not very stable when standing solo unroped compared to other tents I have owned, it twists at the top elbows... now that's a break waiting to happen. I highly recommend two ropes on each corner at right angles to aid in stability. I have big concerns about the twisting when unroped.

I had this tent pitched and the fly on, but not roped down. We had heaps of rain over a couple of days and it appears to have only leaked a little bit, about half a cup of water inside, which is excellent.

The Kramers
The KramersSouth-Eastern Region, NSW4 posts
Dee
Dee3 posts
  Verified 8
Sue dd
Sue ddLogan7 posts

Good for overnighters

Very easily set up and take down. Stayed dry during wet weather. Needs a fly for heat and light transfer. Very hot during the day and very bright during the night under camp ground lighting. Great for long journeys where you want a minimum of set up time for overnight stays. Would like to obtain a fly that also extended into an awning for longer stays.

Rob W
Rob W12 posts
Robert
RobertGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC15 posts

OK except for poles

This tent is ok except for the poles...used it twice, on the second occasion the poles wouldn't lock into place or they kept collapsing. Made some mods with a hammer. If it wasn't for the rubbish poles I'd recommend it.

LukeCollins
LukeCollinsMelbourne57 posts

Brilliant value for money and easy set up!

Easy set up and for under 300 dollars a bargain. Used this tent 6 times now for upto a week no issues. Easy set up and take down and always remain dry in torrential rain. Ive seen countless instant up tents not pegged down at all or incorrectly and literally falling apart and breaking on windy nights. People blame the tent when its their own stupidity. This is a consequence when ppl who cant setup a tent properly and think an instant up tent will solve their problems. This tent is up and down in 5 minutes. Brilliant value for money and would recommend to anyone. Invest in better pegs thats it. Thanks Coleman for making a tent accessible to the everyday Australian.

Show reply

Andrew Bourke
Andrew BourkePerth, WA5 posts

Great quality tent!

Made from quality materials, this tent is very easy to set up and to take down when finished. Either way, it only takes minutes. It packs away neatly without the need of an origami expert. Attractive price, very good value for money.

Highly recommended.

keisha
keishaHervey Bay

read instructions first

the first night using this tent we had big winds in goodiwindi and an hour after putting it up, a tent pole snapped and ripped a massive hole down the side of the tent, the whole tent fell down. In the instructions it says not to use this tent in windy conditions

Michael

Will
WillFar North Queensland, QLD2 posts
John
JohnMelbourne6 posts

Easy to setup and tear down - a well designed tent

So easy to setup - that my son says that its cheating. We tested it at a Warburton camping site. It was raining and we were tired - so, very happy to be able to put it up in 2 minutes. Even with the rain, we were kept dry in the tent. For a 6 person tent, we recommend to sleep up to 4 comfortably with enough room for your bags. If its a windy place, make sure that you peg all the guy ropes just to be safe.

Bomber
BomberMelbourne15 posts
Peter Buttge
Peter ButtgeQld, 4680

Replacement for Macpac Olympus

Senior citizen dedicated to camping needed headroom. Good tent easy to put up. Put cable ties through zippers for quick grip. Recommend extra ground sheet. Bit of a battle to get all back into carry bag

Cassie
Cassie

Broke on first use

Found all the reviews fantastic for the six person and got a great deal on it so we bought it. Took it down for it's first use on the weekend to great ocean road and we were amazed how quickly it did set up. We had no idea the night was going to be windy until 2am in the morning when all the poles collapsed on top of us!!! We kept clicking the poles back into place and they kept falling down, eventually one pole gave in and broke in half so the tent was useless and we slept in the car the rest of the night. Not happy.

Jade
JadeSydney, NSW45 posts
Natalie F
Natalie F

Good for a short time

Good for the short stay we had however the zip was so taunt it broke a few times. Very disappointing and left a red mark on my hand from how hard it was to zip.

Lisa Anne
Lisa AnneMelbourne4 posts

Great for short camping trips/festivals

Very easy to put up. Great color to find in a crowded camp site. My only complaint was that the door zipper constantly caught. Just down to bad design and not a major issue over all. But by day 4, with 4 people in and out it did become annoying. Bought it almost at half price $120. Glad i didn't pay more as the zip did bug me.

NHarry
NHarryBrisbane3 posts

Great Tent

Purchased a 6P model for trip to Moreton Island recently, Tent went up quick & put on Fly, had a ground sheet underneath. Heavy rain & some wind for first 2 days, tent stayed dry inside. Very happy went back & bought 4P for kids. See how it goes over time

Tents

Find out how Coleman Instant Up compares to other Tents

HAS11
HAS11Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC27 posts

Good tent for the price!

Purchased this tent about a year ago, have used it a few times. Easy to put up and take down but i pit hard to put the fly on in windy weather. Im not sure if the fly could be pre-attached? I managed to tare a small hole in the bottom of the tent the first time i set it up but i have repaired it with no props.
Kelly's camping has good serivce.
Heavy and takes up alot of room. i will down size for the about of time i use it.
RJ1974
RJ1974Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC8 posts

Pretty good, needs floor protection

I bought this tent purely for its 'instant' feature. It's heavy, bulky and not particularly strong but it is quick to put up and down. Loads of windows and ventilation make it great in summer, I haven't needed the fly yet.

Only 4 pegs on the ground and not very sturdy poles may present an issue in high winds but it hasn't bothered me yet.

Its worth buying a cheap tarp to put under the tent to protect the floor as its pretty light material.
Quick 1 person up and down, loads of ventilation
Heavy & bulky, lightweight floor.

kali205
kali205Brisbane, Queensland19 posts
  Instant Up

Surprisingly good

I've owned this tent for about a year and so far have been impressed. I've taken it on four or five camping trips. It hasn't shown any signs of wear yet. It's compact, hasn't leaked, and has reasonable ventilation. True to its name, it's up in no time. For an infrequent camper it holds up well against its more expensive competitiors.
Quick set up, dry, good headroom
Would prefer a full fly, I believe updated models offer this. Show 4 replies