How to compare car insurance to find the best policy for you

If you're a regular driver, a good car insurance policy can grant you peace of mind. With so many providers and policies on the market, dipping into the policy pool can be confusing. Use this guide for tips on how to find the best, cheapest car insurance for you, whether comprehensive or third party.

Read now

1.5

1,489 reviews
  • Timeliness
  • Job Satisfaction

worst insurance company

Put in a claim, they did the repairs, faulty car running poorly or not at all on pickup up. Returned car and told fair wear and tear but cars not running. Needs to be towed. How to you drive a car into a repair shop then unable to drive it home????? They are a joke. Now we will not even shop at cole. Well done
Await for a reply, will pass this on to claims Dept. Ha Ha

TVMSydney Surrounds, NSW

The worst. Do not insure your car with Coles Insurance

Coles cancelled my insurance after my credit card changed and they could not access direct debit. I accept the credit card issue was my error but the effort they made to inform me of my oversight was pathetic and NEGLEGENT. Once they made the decision to cancel my insurance they did not inform me. I was driving an uninsured car for 6 months. Thankfully I did not have an accident. I found out by fluke about the cancellation and Coles refused to re-insure me as I disclosed that a small scratch that they already had on record had developed a tiny rust patch. That has caused me a huge stress. Go elsewhere. So terrible.

TVM

I will not. Coles Insurance has caused me huge stress. Coles Insurance's behaviour was inexcusable and If I could be bothered to prove it - probably illegal.

TAK KWONG RONALD L.

TAK KWONG RONALD L.South East Queensland, QLD

It's the worst car insurance. can't acceptance.

John

JohnSydney Surrounds, NSW

Don't make a mistake using Coles Car Insurance

Submitted a refund at the "beginning" of the month so no issues of me taking advantage of days*
I've made 3 attempts for a refund by phone, at all times have been lied by their customer service team who said it's been processed but refuse to send a confirmation email. it's been almost a month since my query and I am still trying to resolve this. Seems to me Cole's trains their staff this way to lie and give customers run around to avoid refunds or give people such a hard time in hoping they give up. This is for a monthly bill btw I can't even imagine what current customers go thru if it's a full claim. Such a dirty practice!

Claim DateMay 2020
Coles I.Coles Insurance

Can’t wait to never have to deal with this company again.

Claim DateMarch 2020
Car ModelMitsubishi ASX
Reeviewah

ReeviewahCanberra 2600, ACT

Cheap and nasty

Insurance TypeThird Party Property Damage
Brian T.

Brian T.Wanniassa 2903, ACT

Very unhelpful when making a claim

Reported minor hail damage when sent to be assessed was informed of financial write off. To make a claim was told car had to be handed in with rego canceled then could purchase back and re register. Conflicting information given by many staff members, policy, and claim papers. Canceled claim was told insurance canceled yet I can still log in to my active account. Not happy with service at all.

Car ModelToyota Camry
George

GeorgeSydney, NSW

Shocking. Avoid at all cost

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Car ModelHolden Captiva CG MaXX
Coles I.Coles Insurance

Hi George, thanks for getting in touch. We're sorry for the delay in our response. Please note, we've responded to your other review some time ago.

Ian

IanSouth East Queensland, QLD

If only I could give them zero stars

I wish that I never needed to write this review, unfortunately a tire bounced out of a oncoming trailer that failed to stop into the path of our vehicle damaging the front of our car and one other vehicle. Given we had Dashcam footage we though we would have no insurance problems. Went to the Police with the footage and they identified the owner of the other vehicle.

Now Coles Insurance tell us that as we don't have the Name and address of the other party we need to pay the $1200 excess, they admitted that they have not contacted the Police and the PDS states they don't need to. So now we're off the the ombudsman.

Claim DateMarch 2020
Car ModelHyundai Santa Fe
Coles I.Coles Insurance

Hi Ian, thanks for your review. We're sorry to hear of your disappointment and frustration with your claim thus far. We'll ensure to share your comments and concerns to our Insurance Team so they're made aware and to review.

Home hunting

Home huntingAdelaide

My personal experience

Car ModelHonda CR-V RD1
Coles I.Coles Insurance

Hi there, thanks for the review. We appreciate your kind feedback detailing your experiences when making your recent claims. We'll ensure your comments are shared with our Car Insurance Team so they're made aware. Thanks again!

Michael F.

Michael F.Sydney, NSW

Quick efficient service

Changing my card for premium payment and easy to gain deferring payment of premium. Their repair service and claim procedure was quick and efficient accompanied with advice support! They recognize your loyalty!

Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateMay 2015
Car ModelMazda Tribute
Coles I.Coles Insurance

Hi Michael, thanks for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate your thoughtful feedback and we'll be sure to pass this along to our Car Insurance Team so they're made aware. Thanks again!

steve rasher

steve rasherSydney, NSW

Disappointing repair by Coles insurance repairer ARM

After the 1st repair session the car was returned with a wheel missing and the get you home spare in its place. 10 days later had to go back to have the correct front wheel installed. when the car was serviced by subaru they said the steering control box had been damaged in the accident and not replaced when it was repaired, mean the car had to be returned to ARM again to have that replaced. How dangerous was it to be driving this car with a damaged steering mechanism? along with many weeks all up without the vehicle. very unsatisfactory service.

Car ModelSubaru XV
Coles I.Coles Insurance

Hi Steve, thanks for getting in touch. We're very sorry to hear this! We'd recommend calling our Customer Care Team on 1300 265 374 to follow this up further, as they're best placed to assist.

Celeste

CelesteCanberra

Nothing but good service

When I signed up with coles insurance, I was unaware of their bad reputation. I still don't understand why they have such a bad reputation. I have had two claims through coles within the last year and a bit, one was a parking accident (entirely my fault, ran into a pole) and the other was a huge hail storm that came through. Both experiences were incredibly easy, and coles were nothing but helpful the whole time. I am certainly looking at using them again for my new car. :)

Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateJune 2019
Car ModelHolden Barina TM (Hatchback) CD
Coles I.Coles Insurance

Hi Celeste, thanks for getting in touch. We're so glad to hear you're a fan! We'll be sure to pass your feedback along to the relevant teams so they're aware :)

Very poor service!

Allie H.

Allie H.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Coles Car Insurance - borderline criminal

My car had to be written off - someone smashed into it.
Terrible experience dealing with this insurer. 2.5 months later - still no resolution. About 20+ phone conversations, endless repetition of the same information. I would have spent so far probably 40 hours+ trying to resolve this.
Lying, incompetent, misleading insurer. They should be stripped of any insurer license. DO NOT USE COLES CAR INSURANCE

Claimant is the policy holder No
Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateDecember 2019
Car ModelMazda 3 BN (Sedan) Maxx Sport
Coles I.Coles Insurance

Thanks for contacting us, Allie. We're disappointed to hear that you've had a poor experience with us and we'll follow this up for you if you send us a private message with further details.

Khodr

KhodrSydney, NSW

My fault .lol. Are you serious???

I was turning left and your client overtaking me for the left side and hit my car on left side.
After i call them to claim about the accident .
First I was waiting for more than 45 minutes.
And I was shocked that I was to be claimed and reliable for the accident.
WTH, What a joke.
Disgraceful and disgusting.
Will see you in court.

Insurance TypeThird Party Property Damage
Claimant is the policy holder No
Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Car ModelMercedes-Benz C-Class C250 d C205
Coles I.Coles Insurance

Hi Khodr, thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us. If you'd like to follow up further, please send us a private message with further details.

Hamid B.Sydney, NSW

Claim time is working hours only

My first and last experience with coles. From the With bit of headaches but finally they wrapped it up and got it finalized. Except the claim time which is only on working days. It means if you have an accident on Friday night you need to wait till Monday morning and find a towing company to take your car and then they compensate

Car ModelAudi A5 8T
Hamid B.

Well I just need a clear reply and resolution. Ive returned my replacement car and haven't received a reply from coles yet.

Coles I.Coles Insurance

Thanks for getting for responding, Hamid. We'd recommend reaching out to our Claims Team on 1300 265 374 as they'd be best placed to check your policy and follow this up for you.

Carmen

CarmenSydney, NSW

Great

They have been great with two accidents we had. We were not at fault , they went to lengths to help us from the time we called them to the time we got home. Best customer service when you call them .

Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateDecember 2018
Car ModelRenault Captur J87
Coles I.Coles Insurance

Hi Carmen, thanks for your feedback. We're happy to hear you're a fan of our services and customer service received. We'll ensure to share your comments on to our Insurance and Claims Teams so they're made aware.

NazaninSydney, NSW

Terrible services canceled my policy with out notice or ant notification. terrible customer service !!!!!!!

Terrible services canceled my policy with out notice or any notification. They don't even have text message system to let people know about cancellation of their insurance.
Terrible customer service !!!!!!!

Car ModelToyota Corolla
Coles I.Coles Insurance

Hi Nazanin, thanks for contacting us and we're sorry to hear you've encountered this issue. We recommend contacting our Customer Support Team on 1300 265 374 so they can look into this for you.

Coles I.Coles Insurance

We're very disappointed to learn this, Nazanin. We'll ensure to share your feedback with our Insurance Team so they're made aware. We hope you give us another chance in future.

Xenad

XenadGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Criminals

Coles insurance suck you in with cheap policies to begin with. Then wait for it increase it by almost 1,500. Why? Because they are now with a completely different company. My car started out on 500$ then as the years rolled on increased to the same amount as the big well known insurers. Have basically moved most of my cars from Cole's. Having overseas call centers is pathetic as they are like Robots. Stick with what you know. Sometimes it's the case of better the devil you know.

Filomena

Filomenaasked

Coles Car Insurance

Hi I just cancelled my car insurance policy and was not given a refund. I pay monthly and the money is taken out every 31st. So 1 day ago the money was taken out. So I have now paid for a month that I am not getting a service for. Its not like there is only a 1 day to go and I want a refund for the 1 day, I want a refund for 29 days worth. What are you providing me with for the $77.86 you took out of my account yesterday.
I will be taking this further and not for the money for the principle of the matter. Can you please let me know who I can ring to discuss this matter further before I take it further.

Colin
Colin

Hi Filomena, I have been a customer of Coles Insurance for some time other than my car Insurance last Year as Last Years Policy was dearer than i got at Budget. I would suggest you call the help centre in Coles and make sure you write down the time of your call and the name of the person you are talking to as a record if needed for later. I am confident they will sort it out for you i have found the customer service people great. Good Luck Best Regards Colin

Coles I.Coles Insurance

Hi Filomena, thanks for getting in touch. We're sorry to hear that this has happened and for the poor experience. We recommend emailing our team via the address below, as our Insurance Team would be best suited to assist with your query.

insurance.enquiries@coles.com.au

Mrs Rawling

Mrs Rawlingasked

Coles Car Insurance

My daughter will be going into hospital shortly can someone else not on her policy drive her car for a few days and still be covered

Coles I.Coles Insurance

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to reach out. We would recommend having your daughter check her current policy to confirm if her insurance covers other drivers.

Rebecca

Rebeccaasked

Coles Car Insurance

Are learner drivers covered under your insurance policy

South Yarra Local
South Yarra Local

Hi Rebecca. No they aren't. It is only myself driving the car which is the jnformation that the company has for both quote and current insurance.

Coles I.Coles Insurance

Hi Rebecca, thanks for getting in touch. Your car will only be covered if a person named as a driver on your most recent schedule or renewal invitation is in the car and conducting the training for the person being trained to drive and operating the controls. Your cover also needs to include under 25s - to add this to your policy if you do not have it, please contact us on 1300 265 374 and we'd be happy to help.

Get an answer from our members and Coles Insurance representatives