Listing monitored by Columbus Direct

9 questions from our users

Jenniwren
Jenniwrenasked
International Travel Insurance - Premier Plan (Annual Multi-Trip)

Is the cost of an annual multi travel insurance for a couple (husband and myself) or is it individual.

Hi Jenni,

The price displayed on our online quotes is the total price for the number of travellers entered. So when requesting a quote for 2 people, the price displayed is the total price for both.

It’s worth noting that our policy cover limits and excesses apply per person. For Annual Multi-trip policies each adult is considered separately insured, and so you don’t have to be on the same trip for cover to apply.

Casey (Customer Care)

Jennyasked
International Travel Insurance - Premier Plan (Annual Multi-Trip)

I have insured with you in the past. I am now 60yrs old with diabetes Type 1 and multiple sclerosis, with no admissions to hospital for more than 30 yrs. Can I still be covered if I wish to take out a policy?

Jenny

I have previously had a policy with you. Now I have reached 60yrs, with both Type 1 diabetes & MS am I able to purchase travel insurance? I have not been in hospital for more than 30yrs & am well.

Hi Jenny,

We are often able to cover pre-existing medical conditions. We use a quick and easy medical screening process to assess cover for each customer's conditions individually.

Our screening process can be completed online. If you would prefer to speak to someone, I'd be happy to arrange a call for you. I've sent you a message with my contact details.

Thanks,

Casey (Customer Care)

T C
T Casked
Columbus Direct

Does your travel insurance policy cover the age over 80 years old?

Columbus DirectColumbus Direct

Hi T C – thanks for your question. We can cover travellers up to and including the age of 84 on our single trip policies. Our Annual Multi-trip policies and some sports cover add-ons, however, are only available to those aged under 70. You can enter your trip details and travellers’ ages into our online quote engine at https://travel.columbusdirect.com.au to check what cover is available. Alternatively, feel free to give us a call on 1300 669 999 to discuss your situation with our customer care team in Sydney. We hope you find what you’re looking for!

Granda
Granda

Yes it does but charges extra $ because the customer is 80 yrs and older. They also have strict exclusions.

Stacey Ambrosoli
Stacey Ambrosoliasked
Columbus Direct

Do you offer cruise cover? What about the clause stating that you cannot make a claim in regards to delay due to weather? What if the cruise could not go due to severe weather conditions- would this be covered? Thanks.

Columbus DirectColumbus Direct

Hi there – Yes, we do offer cruise cover. Travelling by cruise is actually included as standard with all our international policies – you’ll just need to make sure you select the correct area of cover, taking into account any international waters your ship sails into. Our policies do provide certain cover for a travel delay of at least 6 hours due to adverse weather conditions. However, if your cruise company decided to cancel the cruise altogether due to severe weather, unfortunately there would be no cover. It might be worth confirming your cruise operator’s conditions for such events, as they may entitle you to a refund and/or the option to reschedule your cruise. To find out more about our cruise cover, you may want to take a look at the Cruise Travel Insurance page on our website (http://www.columbusdirect.com.au/travel-insurance/cruise-travel-insurance/), which includes a question-and-answer section. If you have further queries, we’d be happy to answer them – just give us a call on 1300 66 99 99.

Matt
Mattasked
Columbus Direct

Your website (http://www.columbusdirect.com.au/travel-insurance/annual-multi-trip/) says "Up to three kids (aged 2-18) and up to two infants (under 2 years) can be covered FREE when travelling with their parent or grandparent." - but your PDS makes no mention of this. In addition, your application forms only allow a total of 3 people to be listed on the policy.

How do I ensure my kids are actually covered, and in an event, convince a foreign medical establishment they are insured?

Columbus DirectColumbus Direct

Hi Matt, we’re sorry to hear you encountered this issue. To clarify, our pricing does indeed include standard cover for a number of dependent children at no additional cost, however for cover to be in place they do need to be named on the policy. In your case we note that there was an issue with the handover process from the comparison website you were referred from, which didn’t prompt you to enter details for your children. We have since been in contact with them to ensure they apply a fix to prevent any repeat. We understand your policy has now been updated to include details for all family members and hope you all enjoy your trip.

JimT
JimTasked
Columbus Direct

Does your rental vehicle excess waiver apply to motor home hire in the UK ?

Columbus DirectColumbus Direct

Hi Jim. Thanks for your question. We do include campervans or motor homes in respect of our Rental Vehicle Excess Waiver. There are a few terms and conditions worth knowing about in relation to our cover for hire vehicles. For example, you need to rent the vehicle from a licensed rental agency and the cover only applies while someone insured on the policy is driving. You can find the full terms and conditions in relation to our Rental Vehicle Excess cover in our policy wording under section 12. It’s also worth checking that our Rental Vehicle Excess Waiver limit covers the full excess specified in your rental contract, as this is usually higher for campervans and motor homes. If you have any further questions or need help setting up a policy, please feel free to give us a call at 1300 669 999. Otherwise, have a great trip!

(As always, to decide if a travel insurance policy is right for you, please read the Product Disclosure Statement. You can view ours at https://www.columbusdirect.com.au/pdfs/coz/PDS.pdf).

John Smith
John Smithasked
Columbus Direct

I've seen on comparethemarket that your Single Trip Premier covers for $3000: can you please confirm this? I'm going to Thailand and Cambodia for a month so would need about that much moneys and some sort of safety net would be a huge weight off my mind.

Hi John,

Thanks for your question.

When you travel under our Single-trip Premier policy your travel documents and personal money are covered for up to $3000. Up to $1000 of this amount can be cash.

There are some requirements. In order to be covered, you need to take reasonable care of your items and take some steps to keep them safe (for example travelling with them on your person and storing them in a safe when they are not with you.) You can find more information about this in our policy wording under section 7: http://www.columbusdirect.com.au/policy-wording. If something of yours does get lost or stolen, then you need to report it to the police within 24hrs.

Please note: our policy does not cover for credit cards.

I hope this information is helpful. If we can be of further assistance then please feel free to get in touch.

Happy Travels,

Casey
Customer Relationship Executive

Ray Wines
Ray Winesasked
Columbus Direct

I'm thinking of taking out travel insurance ex with you but am concerned at the wildly fluctuating reviews of your product. Can you help me?

Columbus DirectColumbus Direct

Hi Ray, I'd be happy to discuss this and respond on any concerns you have. Please call us and ask for me – Andrew, Customer Service Team.

K - Sydney
K - Sydney

Ray, note that a lot of feedback is based purely on the buying experience. Columbus has a very easy to use website, hence tends to get good reviews there. However, their claims process is archaic and clearly designed to avoid paying or at least deferring for as long as possible. I suggest you focus on the reviews from people with actual claim experience as this is when you need your insurance provider to step up for you. As you can tell, my experience with Columbus in this regard was very poor.

Birdie
Birdie

Ray, I second K - Sydney's reponse. As an update to my feedback . The claim has now been resolved but it took approx 6 months. Meanwhile I was pursued by debt collectors in both Australia and the US to chase the payment. Their claims process is archaic and designed to make it as difficult as possible even for something very straightforward (eg paying for the insurance via easy payment methods but only being able to pay your claim via cheque!). I've received an apology from an agent of LLoyd's (the underwriter) over how poorly thus was handled. If you're happy to fill out piles of paperwork with quite unreasonable requirements for documentation, make many follow ups and wait a very long time for resolution of a claim then go for it...But remember you've been warned...

Anyone posting a review has been asked for policy numbers so they should be legitimate in their feedback should you have concerns.

Kathy63
Kathy63asked
Columbus Direct

is it normal to refuse medical cover for conditions such as high blood pressure. I take medication, my blood pressure is under control and I have been given a good bill of health from my doctor, but I am told that if I fall ill with cardio vascular problems while overseas, I will not be covered. Are there other insurance companies who would cover this?

MarjB
MarjB

This is normal with most insurance companies - it's called a pre-existing condition. You could try others, but if they would cover you it would probably be exhorbitantly expensive.

Get an answer from our members and Columbus Direct representatives