Commonwealth Bank Home Insurance

Commonwealth Bank Home Insurance Questions & Answers

25 questions from our users

John

Johnasked

WE are looking for our home and contents insurance with you, but cannot find it. I assume we renewed our 29 July (?) start date contract with you.. Did we? John Passant and Patricia Langenakker 1 Naismith Pl Kambah ACT 2902 0422 984 334

Lyndall

Lyndallasked

Can I pay my premium by credit card? Is there a fee for paying it this way?

Annette.B

Annette.Basked

How much does it cost to insure a vacant house that’s on the market to sell?

C.A.D.

C.A.D.asked

I’d love to know how we can escalate this further with all these horrible reviews. This is a top 4 bank scamming people!

Ben
Ben

The best way to deal with Comminsure or financial company is to involve the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) (ombudsman). They are independent in the decision making process and will enforce them to pay up if you have a legitimate claim. It’s worked twice for me and each time CBA had to pay up.

Anto

Antoasked

Hello
I have home and content insurance with CBA. I live in Canberra and would like to have an alarm system installed. Is there a company that you recommend and suggest I could contact?

Many thanks
Antonella

john smith
john smith

have you check the yellow pages or done a google search or contact the CBA they wont answer you here

Susie qasked

Does my house insurance cover leaking water pipe under my home

Steve

Steveasked

Would your building insurance cover fire damaged fences on a country property.

Francesca Stavrakas

Francesca Stavrakasasked

I have a hot water service the has the burner not working is that covered by my accidental policy with commissure?

micheal
micheal

not sure why don't you contact the insurance company & ask them. asking here wont get the correct information

justin

justinasked

would replacing corroded gas pipes be covered by home and contents insurance ?

xpistina
xpistina

I highly doubt it unless a specific event contributed to their deterioration. They would probably blame it on wear and tear.

Betty

Bettyasked

I am purchasing a home for cash and want to move in 6 weeks before the Settlement as we are in our eighties (pensioners) and will get very little help, The house cost $160,000 and is empty. The Solicitor we employed insists we take out a ',Certificate of Currency' which will cost more on top of the $160 we have been told we must pay for weekly rent. I would like to know how much the insurance will cost us. We will also be paying insurance on our current house. We don't have much money to spend after we purchase the house. Can someone advise how nuch insurance we wold have to pay?

Joe Pape

Hi Betty; Your Solicitor may be right. It is only fair to pay a rent on the property if you move in before the settlement date. Unless you can claim on the compassionate grounds that the extra payment might cause you unnecessary hardship. Your current insurance Co. may come to the party if they want to keep you as a customer. I did not get information on your present house, if it empty of rented to someone else. Good luck

Birish

Birishasked

Hi is hot water system covered by my insurance?

Jan N
Jan N

Chandra

Chandraasked

Is there any insurance company, which does have better record of genuine claim settlements for house and contants?

Am I and racv I have been told

Dr Fayez
Dr Fayez

I need to add another home insurance with you

Keith d.

Keith d.asked

How can this be ? Just 1.3 star rating from over 100 writers and yet the independent Choice magazine puts it at the very top of their list.
How are these ratings assessed ? We know of the "dark side" of insurance were a claimant has to persevere with a totally valid claim and pay out it usually decided and dependent on the size of the claim but there seems to be a discrepency here, seeing this massive difference of opinion.

Pyllis

Honest claim ,paying premium for cunning people,water damage not rust,

Bruce

Bruceasked

I just got my home insurance renewal for my residence in Sydney (for period starting Feb 2017). The premium increase is 30% over last years price. I have never made a claim on home and contents insurance. I rang Comminsure and they said that they have changed the methodology for calculating risk and as such the risk in my area has increased. I am not aware that any of my neighbours had any sort of damage from climatic effects or break-ins. Is anyone else in Sydney getting huge premium increases?

JEFF BARKER
JEFF BARKER

You probably find that they just want to make their shareholders happy. All shareholders have insurance though, so they giveth then taketh away.
Big businesses are getting burnt these days, as the customer/consumer shops around. Bad luck to them.
All businesses have their busy times which is peak prices/premiums. You should work out which will be the cheapest month to do business with an insurance company.
Sometimes you can pay for 6 months to get onto a cheaper cycle, say June. A lot of businesses have deals for the end of financial year sale. Don't know about insurance company’s though.
Last year there was no major events like fires or floods, so you would expect to be no increases in premiums especially a 30% hike.

Karen
Karen

2 of our properties in Queensland have each increased DRAMATICALLY for feb 2017. An extra $50 per WEEK each. We have two more properties that we haven't received letters for yet, but we're jumping ship - this is obscene

Tracey Anderson
Tracey Anderson

My policy over doubled. Been with them 5 years and no claim, grrr not happy

B j Thurmanasked

We have home and contents insurance with CommInsure, do we have to specify all items in the various sheds etc as well as house contents? Someone told us we do, is that right?

James
James

You will need to specify yet it its equipment for farms or tractors this will need to be insured elsewhere I think. Only items such as portable, jewellery and valuable would be specified like a watch or a mn engagement ring

B j Thurman

Thank you, if it is tools for DIY work can we include them and the items like Lathes, and the like? We don't have farm equipment, just general large stuff for his DIY work. Thank you

Joe Papeasked

Hi there;
Can anybody tell me, for how long the insurance claim is to challenged in various Courts to get to the end.
My case is ongoing [with Comminsure] for around 3.5 years [since 07/05/2013].????
Can you please let me know if any of you heard of "Miscarriage Of Justice" in Civil Proceedings, Case against Insurance Company????

Regards; Joe Pape

Joe Pape

It looks like there is nobody to answer my question so i will answer it myself.
After the 3.5 years stint at VCAT in Melbourne,[ 6 days of various attendances] and unsatisfactory outcome to my Comminsure claim i have decided to take matter further.
I took the matter to the Supreme Court of Appeal as to unfair decision of VCAT and Miscarriage of Justice among other claims. Spent 2 days already at The Supreme Court and matter is set for the Hearing in April 2017?????
If my appeal is successful i will get the chance to go back to VCAT and the Hearing will start from the beginning.
Hopefully i will be able to claim under the "VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENTS" Rule for my time, loss of quality of life, stress and bulling by the Comminsure.

Smallbig

Smallbigasked

Home and contents accidental - we have moved some furniture in a room and found the wall behind soaked and damaged. The wall is shared with the bathroom. I can only assume this was caused when the bath over flooded a couple of weeks ago, causing it to leak over the tiles and into the wall. I want to make a claim as we have home building and contents and it should be covered as accidental damage. However I am wary due to the hundred s and hudrefs of negative reviews. Please advise if it may be covered?

titans04

You first need to have a builder or plumber to track the source of the damage. Exploratory cost are covered. Given this was 4 months ago it is assumed that the matter has now been settled.

Amanda Davis

Amanda Davisasked

Is there a limit on how many times per year you can claim on home and contents and accidental insurance?

titans04

There is no limit how many times you can claim on Building & Contents Insurance during the term of cover as long as the sums insured are not exhausted.

Ericaasked

The appalling repair work that the insurance builder did forced me to move out of my house so the builder and his so called tradesmen can fix the damage they did (which is more than the original storm damage) when fixing it the first time. This is the second time around that they claimed all was done when it was not and I complained to CommIsure. As I am a trained lawyer, if need be I'll take it to courts, and if need be I’ll involve media and have the standards of insurance claims work investigated. Based on posts on the internet, it appears to be wide spread. We should not put up with poor quality of workmanship and insurance companies should supervise who they engage. Has anyone else have similar expertise? Do you know your rights and where to get help if you cannot fight it yourself? How did you go about it and what was the outcome?

Hi Erica;
Firstly, where do you live, as different States have different Rules and Regulations.
Secondly do you have access to A Contract Insurance Act Book.
Thirdly, can you please set A Points Of Claim in your presentation.
If you have a look in Your Insurance Policy, with all of those Ambigous words, you will find out that; Everything is covered, providing you do not make a claim.
If you do make a Claim, than story is different.
Insurance company will do anything and everything to prove you wrong, even if you are right.
Being in the Legal Profession yourself it may be easier to deal with your Claim.
Good Luck; Colombo
P.S. I am involved in Legal battle with my Home Insurance for the past 3 years, and is not finish yet.

Erica

Hi Joe, I live in Queensland. My problem is that the insurance accepted the claim and engaged a very unscrupulous builder and paid him fortune to fix the storm damage, from what I've seen, it is 3 to 4 times expensive than what anyone would pay if engaging a boulder personally. However the balder did not do what is in the contract to be done and spent the last 5 months laying that he did. The insurance in gnarl states "the builder said" no matter what I and the photos said or show.

I late found that that builder does almost exclusively work for the insurance work (being engaged by Communiser and according to the boulders website with many other major insurers in Australia.

Good luck with your legal battle with your insurance.

Hi Erica;
How did you go with Your Claim.
Regards;

out of pocket

out of pocketasked

We have a huge gumtree in the front yard, it is a healthy tree, does home insurance cover the house if a branch falls on the house on bad weather, or just randomly falls?

titans04

Since the proximate cause of the claim is storm then you would be covered. Thing to be mindful of however is if the leaves clog up your gutters and rainwater enters the building , then the Insurer may or may not say that you had failed to maintained the property in a satisfactory manner. Get rid of the gum tree and have peaceful dreams.

Get an answer from our members and Commonwealth Bank representatives