Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card

Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card

1.1

• Competitive Exchange Rate Yes · No (14)
Ando1031

Ando1031Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Closed my account without contacting me or consent.

CBA closed this account without giving any forewarning. The have effectively stolen money from me. The bank isn't willing to give back MY foreign currency. AVOID using this product. Go for other options.

CurrencyAUD, CAD, CNY, EUR, GBP, HKD, NZD, SGD, THB and USD
Humbal S.

Humbal S.Perth, WA

Rip off exchange rates

Terrible product to have..worst possible rates you will get through banks. Always go for other options instead of banks..be mindful, banks are not there to help in need.. rather waiting for our ignorance and fill there fat pockets...

Horrible exchange rate.

Horrible exchange rate. Not competitive at all. While easy to use, and beneficial if going multiple countries, there are better options out there. Ie. I got an exchange rate of 71 yen when it was trading at 75.

Travel Money Cards & Currency Exchanges

Find out how Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card compares to other Travel Money Cards & Currency Exchanges

Horrible dispute mechanism

While it is convenient to be able to pay without fees the exchange rate is horrible.
We used it in Switzerland, Euro counties and the Czech Republic. Loaded before going with $A and Euros.
We had 2 transactions turned down that are currently still “pending”. This was 26 and 24 days ago. Have had numerous emails and 4 telephone conversations and still not resolved. The service desk was answered on all but one occasion by operators who had heavy accents and were extremely difficult to understand as I assume I was to them.
Emails were answered 3-4 days later with a pleasant but irrelevant message instructing me to call them once again.
No ability to call using WiFi call made this difficult whilst overseas.

CurrencyAUD and EUR
Katherine

KatherineGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

CHILE (Card won’t work)

In Chile, I was not able to use it to pay anything. The card will only work with just one ATM (Bank of Chile) which is difficult to find one

Michael H.

Michael H.Perth, WA

Absolute Theft

First of all i didnt want this card they CBA pushed it on me, said it would save me money that was a total lie the currency rate the give they is crap so make money there and then if tranfer the money back to its original currency they rip you off 20C in the dollar, i was not told of any of this when they pushed the card on me absolute thieves.

CurrencyAUD
G.L

G.LBrisbane

Virtually useless to a couple!

Went to a branch who said it was possible for my wife and I to get cards and link them. We have a joint account, joint home loan and joint credit card but in fact we cannot get a joint travel money card or even two seperate ones that are linked. Now I have to either give my wife cash or be with her 24/7 as the pin option on the card doesn't work 99% of the time and requires a signature! All in all pretty much useless to us!

CurrencyEUR, GBP, NZD, SGD and USD
Zac G.

Zac G.Sydney, NSW

Ripp off

Ripp off. I used this card when I went to the US. Easily paid $500 or more than I needed to.

Dont waste your time. Its easy to open a bank account once you land. Then, transfer money using TransferWise. That the best app with cheapest rates and no hidden fees Ive found.

Not impressed

Not impressedPerth, WA

Misleading and deceptive

CurrencyTHB
Travel Money Cards & Currency Exchanges

Reyes

ReyesMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Useless

Couldn't even use it at a large department store and for petrol. Just kept getting declined. Useless in America. Ended up having to withdraw cash and got charged almost USD$10 in fees at the ATM. Not for emergencies... it will likely get declined.

CurrencyCAD and USD
Wendy

WendyGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Cancelled travel card rip off

My travel card expired and the money which was left on the card went to unclaimed money. I don't understand why the bank would not have tried to transfer it to the account it was linked to or contact me to advise me. Shows they don't care about their customers. Unable to access how much was in the account. Called customer service who had a don't care attitude and advised I need to go into a bank to make a claim through unclaimed moneys. Difficult when working full time but went to my local branch to lodge a claim. No idea why the bank has to make this so difficult but they have lost me as a customer. I will find another bank who does not do this and cares about their customer.

Viva Espana

Viva EspanaSurfers Paradise QLD. 4217

NO GOOD- ABSOLUTE RIPP-OFF

CurrencyEUR
Holly

HollySydney, NSW

Lost $750 before I even went overseas, given misleading information about this card

I transferred $8200 to Euros from AUD and received $5000 which seemed about right. It wasn't until I decided i wanted my money back in AUD that I lost just over $750 in fees and conversion rates. Essentially if you don't spend all your money overseas, you loose it! Massive rip off and was told I could convert easily and conveniently back to AUD, no mention of the massive fees associated with this type of transaction. Lucky I didn't discover this overseas, will be cancelling the card immediately after trying to recoup my money.

CurrencyAUD, EUR and GBP
PAUL

PAULHobart

The bank stole my money

My card expired whist I was travelling I could not get a replacement sent to Europe so stuck with no money , then my money just vanished 2 months ago and I had to go to the back to reclaim what was mine over 6000 dollars do not get this card theives

See all Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card reviews

Javeria H.

Javeria H.asked

can we transfer money overseas (India) through travel money card by using money gram.

Kit Sheung Lai

Kit Sheung Laiasked

How to renew my travel money card with commonwealth bank while I’m overseas ? Do I have to be physically present in Australia in order to renew it? Is there any other way to renew it while I’m overseas?

Dorothy
Dorothy

Hi Kit. Check out all the reviews before you renew the card.

Noelia P.

Noelia P.asked

Hi, the card was used to withdraw $100 USD from an ATM in Walmart in Kentucky USA. Was charge $2.50USD by the Commonwealth , but then charged an additional $18.36 USD. So a $100USD withdrawl cost $20.86USD , About $30 AUS. Is this right? How do we avoid this.

John
John

It was probably a private ATM. Always use recognized banks. I would suggest only withdrawing when you need cash and don’t do this often. Use the cash card to pay for as many of your transactions as possible as there is no fee for payments.

See all Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card questions