Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card

Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card (page 2 of 10)

• Competitive Exchange Rate Yes (0) · No (13)
AMcT

AMcT

Do not use!

Can’t get it to work in commbank atms in Indo. This is terrible, especially because the banks version of Siri is worse than useless and just try asking for help from a real person. Dinosaur bank, unhelpful app, useless travel card. Back to the credit unions it is.

Don L

Don L

So disappointed

Traveled to Samoa, have just got home and I’m shocked to the terrible exchange rates, Next time I’ll exchange at the airport and take a credit card . Really bad value from commbank- greedy .

Do not get this card! Read below

I repeat do not get this card! For every 1000$ I transferred I was losing 50 euros on there fees. Also commonwealth update their app every week so I’ve had days where I can’t even use my travel card. Also if you look at the st George travel card they don’t charge fees or atm fees it’s way better. I personal will not be using commonwealth for banking anymore with the fact that they need to update their app and card every bloody week.

Travel Money Cards & Currency Exchanges

Find out how Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card compares to other Travel Money Cards & Currency Exchanges

Terrible declines and pending transactions

Worst idea. Do not get this card.
I spent two weeks in the UK and multiple times my card declined with funds loaded to the card.

Attempted to take cash out and declined then took my money. Took commbank 7 days to get my money back.

Then declined at the airport and took my money. Still waiting for that money to be returned to me.

Do not get this card. 9 times out of 10 you will need to sign for your purchases and not use the useless pin they asked you to set up. Super inconvenient when trying to make a speedy purchase on a busy holiday.

Brad

BradMelb

Useless and expensive.

The exchange rates are terrible when you load the card.
Then found that the card was useless at most petrol stations in the US as they asked for a zip code as secondary authentication at pay-at-pump.
Then you get back home and get charged fee to close card and get lousy exchange rates back to AUD.
Just use your regular credit card. It's cheaper and more flexible.

Carmen

Carmen

It’s rubbish

My whole trip I was not able to see my transactions, then my card declined 5 days before my holiday was over and I knew I still had money. 5 members of my family had this card and all 5 had issues. I used another card last year and never had a problem. I should have stuck with that one! Absolute rubbish. My daughter is still away and is crying because nothing adds up!!! This is ruining her holiday.

Half and half

Half the time I have used this card it works OK. The other so far has been a loss to me. Pireaus Bank in Greece steals money when you make a withdrawal. The receipt states the figure you want. It also has a disclaimer that states you agree that you have been given a choice of currencies in which to with draw. When checking my account I had been ripped off large sums, about 25-30% more than the money I received. What's the story here? CBA customer service give you the reassuring run around but don't give you much hope that your hard earned money will be returned. Very disappointing.

Absolute piece of junk

The worst decision we’ve ever made - go with ING instead

A Complete Ripoff

The card was presented to us by a Commonwealth employee as a smart way to travel and save money. That is completely the opposite of what this card allowed us to do.

The currency conversion rates are horrific (we were losing $20AUD each time we pulled $200 out of an ATM, or if we would convert AUD to USD in the app beforehand the rate was even worse). That doesn’t include the ATM fees on top of the conversion rate.

I’m not sure if there’s any benefit to having this card aside from helping Commonwealth make more money off of its customers.

Can't Believe the Commonwealth Bank is So Useless

CJONES

CJONESLaunceston, TAS

A rip off!!

We won't be using this card again...an absolute rip off and daylight robbery when we went to transfer our holiday money back into Aus dollars, get your cash out and exchange at the airport BEFORE you get back to Aus!!! CBA push this service but don't make it clear the cost of retrieving your OWN money!!

Peter B

Peter BSydney

Terrible product - expect better from CBA

Terrible exchange rate.
Then approx $3 CBA fee to withdraw funds, then ATMs take their hefty slice.
A $200 withdrawal then costs approximately $12 in fees AFTER the terrible exchange rate!!!
NEVER again will use this product!

Travel card expired no notification

I have had exactly same problem as above, Travel Card expired with money on it. and no notification although they notify about other less relevant issues. Can not get any information from my 'closed account' online except to say sorry information not available.

Peter J

Peter JSydney, NSW

Typical corporate greed. Bring on the Banking Review

How typical. You have money on a travel card. Even though through Netbank I get 4 emails a week they can not send me one saying your Travel card will expire. The cord then expires and I now have to go to the branch ( how convenient for me ) and fill out a form then hopefully get have the money exchanged to AUD at a poor rate plus a fee then if I want another card then exchange at a poor rate plus a fee back.

I said just issue me with a new card with that money put back on but surprise surprise that is not possible WHY ? because this would defeat the purpose of expired cards. CBA know all about this little ploy and they make money off it. Then they wonder why there is going to be an inquiry into the banks.

Travel Money Cards & Currency Exchanges

Absolute rip off exchange rates!

Converting money to the card costs 5%. Taking money off the card costs ATM fee. Converting money back into $A costs another 5%. Complete and utter rip off! Don't do it just use your credit card.

Pierre

PierrePerth

Do not waste your time with this card!

Not happy

Not happySydney, NSW

Disgraceful! Travellers left stranded while they do maintenance

Total rip off - exchange rates 6-7% worse than the fees charged using a regular key card

Called commbank to see if there was a way I could get less international withdrawal fees when travelling, they recommended the travel card. Travelled to Vietnam and quickly realised that the exchange rate they offer on the travel card is so bad it was charging me 6.83% more than I was previously being charged on my savings card. They've just hidden even bigger fees in the exchange rate. Huge rip off and very misleading.

richard

richard

What a ripoff!

1. a $3.50 transaction fee every time you withdraw your own money
and
2. at a 10% premium on the exchange rate.

Effectively, you're better off just a credit card or even an ATM in the overseas country ( Vietnam in this case ) copping the fees and they have a more favourable exchange rate.

CBA Travel Money Card = Don't Do It.

See all Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card reviews