Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card

Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card (page 3 of 15)

• Competitive Exchange Rate Yes (4) · No (14)
Dazza

DazzaShepparton

They don't tell you this

Get an ANZ card, no cost & (this is for all travel money cards) ONLY put AUD on the card...you will lose hundreds of $ converting onto & then off it. CBA charge you $17 for the card, then 5% to load money and whatever they want to change it back to Aus $....never again.

Alicia

AliciaPerth

Exactly what I needed

Can't Believe the Commonwealth Bank is So Useless

Travel Money Cards & Currency Exchanges

Find out how Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card compares to other Travel Money Cards & Currency Exchanges

CJONES

CJONESLaunceston, TAS

A rip off!!

We won't be using this card again...an absolute rip off and daylight robbery when we went to transfer our holiday money back into Aus dollars, get your cash out and exchange at the airport BEFORE you get back to Aus!!! CBA push this service but don't make it clear the cost of retrieving your OWN money!!

Peter B

Peter BSydney

Terrible product - expect better from CBA

Terrible exchange rate.
Then approx $3 CBA fee to withdraw funds, then ATMs take their hefty slice.
A $200 withdrawal then costs approximately $12 in fees AFTER the terrible exchange rate!!!
NEVER again will use this product!

Travel card expired no notification

I have had exactly same problem as above, Travel Card expired with money on it. and no notification although they notify about other less relevant issues. Can not get any information from my 'closed account' online except to say sorry information not available.

KirstenZ

KirstenZSydney

My experience with CBA travel card account.

Had EXACTLY the same thing happen with my account. It disappeared from my netbank app. 2nd Jan 2018 I'll be in the branch, and have had 3 days to get nice and angry. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Peter J

Peter JSydney, NSW

Typical corporate greed. Bring on the Banking Review

How typical. You have money on a travel card. Even though through Netbank I get 4 emails a week they can not send me one saying your Travel card will expire. The cord then expires and I now have to go to the branch ( how convenient for me ) and fill out a form then hopefully get have the money exchanged to AUD at a poor rate plus a fee then if I want another card then exchange at a poor rate plus a fee back.

I said just issue me with a new card with that money put back on but surprise surprise that is not possible WHY ? because this would defeat the purpose of expired cards. CBA know all about this little ploy and they make money off it. Then they wonder why there is going to be an inquiry into the banks.

CHECK YOUR EXPIRY DATE

Travel Money Cards & Currency Exchanges

Absolute rip off exchange rates!

Converting money to the card costs 5%. Taking money off the card costs ATM fee. Converting money back into $A costs another 5%. Complete and utter rip off! Don't do it just use your credit card.

Pierre

PierrePerth

Do not waste your time with this card!

Not happy

Not happySydney, NSW

Disgraceful! Travellers left stranded while they do maintenance

Total rip off - exchange rates 6-7% worse than the fees charged using a regular key card

Called commbank to see if there was a way I could get less international withdrawal fees when travelling, they recommended the travel card. Travelled to Vietnam and quickly realised that the exchange rate they offer on the travel card is so bad it was charging me 6.83% more than I was previously being charged on my savings card. They've just hidden even bigger fees in the exchange rate. Huge rip off and very misleading.

richard

richard

What a ripoff!

1. a $3.50 transaction fee every time you withdraw your own money
and
2. at a 10% premium on the exchange rate.

Effectively, you're better off just a credit card or even an ATM in the overseas country ( Vietnam in this case ) copping the fees and they have a more favourable exchange rate.

CBA Travel Money Card = Don't Do It.

Walton

WaltonRichmond-Tweed, NSW

Used this card in Spain and Portugal

Kate

KateAdelaide

Overseas support zero

Poor customer service. Issue when overseas, 'validated' by one customer service person, transferred and not validated by other. Fortunately issue was not detrimental to further use of card, however could have been and the consideration/concern given was zero. Customer service person officious, lacked empathy, and really didn't care how this was affecting us.

The King

The KingSouth Australia, 5000

Useless in Europe

As the title says, it would barely work in Europe and Commonwealth Bank's exchange rate was horrible. Cheaper to withdraw cash from an ATM in europe and you get better rates.
For example; I wanted 500 euro in Munich. To transfer 500 euro into my travel money card on the Commbank app, I would get a rate or 0.615 euro to $1aud. Therefore it would cost me $813 aud including withdrawal fee at the ATM. I withdrew straight from the ATM and requested 500 euro (I did NOT press yes to convert) and it cost me $776 aud including withdrawal fee.
Out of my 5 trips to Europe, this was the first time I caved in to getting a travel money card as pushed by the bank, but it'll certainly be the last.

Would NOT recommend

Would NOT recommend for use in South America. In particular it wouldn't work in chile despite the numerous attempts. However it mostly worked in Bolivia and Peru.

We were also not notified that there were upgrades being performed so we're unable to use the card during peak business hours in South America. We only discovered this after numerous attempts and when attempting to book a tour. Despite the fact it was early hours in Australia it was very distressing being stuck without access to our money on numerous occasions while in a foreign country.

Unreliable

Carm

CarmAdelaide

Lost CBA travel cards 1 month ago and still waiting on bank to replace!

See all Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card reviews

Javeria H.

Javeria H.asked

can we transfer money overseas (India) through travel money card by using money gram.

Kit Sheung Lai

Kit Sheung Laiasked

How to renew my travel money card with commonwealth bank while I’m overseas ? Do I have to be physically present in Australia in order to renew it? Is there any other way to renew it while I’m overseas?

Dorothy
Dorothy

Hi Kit. Check out all the reviews before you renew the card.

Noelia P.

Noelia P.asked

Hi, the card was used to withdraw $100 USD from an ATM in Walmart in Kentucky USA. Was charge $2.50USD by the Commonwealth , but then charged an additional $18.36 USD. So a $100USD withdrawl cost $20.86USD , About $30 AUS. Is this right? How do we avoid this.

John
John

It was probably a private ATM. Always use recognized banks. I would suggest only withdrawing when you need cash and don’t do this often. Use the cash card to pay for as many of your transactions as possible as there is no fee for payments.

See all Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card questions