Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card

Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card (page 4 of 15)

• Competitive Exchange Rate Yes (4) · No (14)
Bette

BetteMelbourne

Very important detail-they forgot to mention!

Warning! When I tried to use my card online in Europe to purchase a flight, they forgot to mention that they would send a code to my mobile phone number, to verify my identity. My australian phone number did not work in Europe, I used local mobile providers to avoid roaming chargers. Therefore the card was useless online!!!!! Emailing me the code would have solved this issue... very frustrating.

Disappointing

Sounded great in the bank but only if I read the detail. Exchange rate is poor and fees are unreasonable. Commonwealth have had the privilege of using my money for years, no more, time to move on.

Alpal

Alpalsydney

Terrible exchange rates don't compensate for the lower transaction fees

Travel Money Cards & Currency Exchanges

Find out how Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card compares to other Travel Money Cards & Currency Exchanges

Peter S

Peter SBrisbane

Yet another bank ripoff!

Like every "product" from Commbank it's a complete ripoff and gougefest. On top of predictably low exchange rates, the withdrawal fee and ATM fee works out at about $12AUS! The only way not to get scammed by the banks and financial institutions seems to be to risk it and take cash and look for the best rate at your destination. I wish I taken more cash before I left rather than be at the "mercy" of the souless Commbank thieves!

Worst experience CBA worst service ever

Rates are terrible, they charge card issue fees online but not in the bank! Withdrew 200 got charged 220 overseas.

Customer service on card and generally with CBA is terrible. Would not recommend.

The ATM fees add up

The ATM fees add up and the exchange rate is rubbish. I rang up commbank and they said the exchange rate is lower because of all the fees but then there are fees for everything on top of that. The card is a cash cow for the bank, I was hoping that they would offer something more reasonable for loyal customers but now it's obvious that gen y didn't kill loyalty, it was the big companies.

Kurt.J

Kurt.JMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Worked Fantastic

As a individual who had problems with my last travel card through another company this Travel car came with no problems. I used this card in 13 countries and when I finished it was an easy process to close.

Side note, always look away at the reviews from private messages. Only trust reviews from Members!

Never used but still compromised

I am in Seoul, using a CBA Travel Card. My other, back up card, that I have never used, has been used at an ATM in Indonesia. CBA's service for those travelling is terrible, hangs up after keeping on hold. To make a dispute, you need to print a form, fill it out and post it to Sydney - not useful if you're travelling. Would not recommend.

Not worth the convenience

Used card in Europe. Don't get the card if you're happy to withdraw cash on your normal bank card. The travel money card gives you a significantly low rate in comparison to withdrawing cash. So, if you're happy to use cash during your trip, I'd suggest skipping the travel money card.

Dave Dee

Dave DeePERTH

Avoid "travel money" cards at all costs

Banks not only make their money from customers being unable to do mental arithmetic when traveling, but any cash left after the expiry date they (wait for it) CONFISCATE ! The constant fees for switching between currencies are the least of a users problems. A much better idea is to obtain a credit card with no annual fee and no conversion fees, and preload it with Aussie dollars making sure it is NEVER in debit and use that to withdraw cash at overseas ATMs. The 28 Degrees card is very good in that regard, but make sure you pay off in full every month or high interest charges apply.

Traveller

Traveller

Be Careful

Card was very easy to use and performed well. However be aware that pin may not be accepted for goods and services and you will need to sign your docket and that your signature will not be checked which means do not lose your card. (used in Canada).

Tam

TamPerth

Commbank Travel Money Card - At Least Ned Kelly Had a Gun!

just returned from Singapore and changed SGD Into AUD, works out to around 12% or more deductions from your funds using the Commbank Travel Card. No way around this so cut them up and chuck in the bin

JohnCootamundra

Cheaper to use your debit card for withdrawals

Worst experience to date!

All up my exchange costs were equivalent to a 12% fee

They hit you with a terrible rate to put a foreign currency on card, then if you take money out at a foreign ATM the other bank also charges you an exchange rate.

Wally

WallyHobart

Commonwealth Travel card robbery

I deposited $2000 on my travel card in euros only to have the account swept by the Bank a few days before my trip. Apparently my card had expired but the Bank gave no forewarning that they would cancel the card and take the money. They should never have accepted the deposit on an expired card. I had to apply to receive the funds - which they say will take 28 days - but they will pay it back only in AUD. So that's two lots of forex transaction fees plus an administrative fee I am up for. I will be lucky to get back much more than $1800 of my $2000, without even being able to use the euros I thought I purchased, because they accepted my deposit knowing my card had already expired. Surely that can't be legal?

Commonwealth Are Terrible

They took $400 worth of fees from a transaction of 4,000. Now i have 4,000 on this card, if i exchange it back to aud they will undercut me $400 again. This is seriously fraud on a big scale.

Emily

EmilyGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Do not use!

Terrible travel card don't use Combank.

Commonwealth Bank is holding $642 of mine in pending payments that the resort machine in Canada Panorama Ski Resot took while declining payments but still took money. I am on holidays now and cannot access my money to have my holiday cannot contact bank no phone just internet i am so annoyed they have ruined my holiday and it is my money which i cannot now access.

Stevie890

Stevie890

Honestly I hesitated yet I tried and I was happy

Been from US and I would say I'm so glad I used it. I didn't withdraw from Atm , i used it to purchase on shops, resto and pay accom and there were no charges. Also i just transferred money from my savings to my travel card via online and it was so convenient and fast. Btw select credit if asked coz it is not savings. Hopefully it would work the same for all travellers going to other countries

See all Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card reviews