Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card

Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card

• Competitive Exchange Rate Yes (0) · No (12)
Ando1031

Ando1031Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Closed my account without contacting me or consent.

CBA closed this account without giving any forewarning. The have effectively stolen money from me. The bank isn't willing to give back MY foreign currency. AVOID using this product. Go for other options.

CurrencyAUD, CAD, CNY, EUR, GBP, HKD, NZD, SGD, THB and USD
Humbal S.

Humbal S.Perth, WA

Rip off exchange rates

Terrible product to have..worst possible rates you will get through banks. Always go for other options instead of banks..be mindful, banks are not there to help in need.. rather waiting for our ignorance and fill there fat pockets...

CurrencyUSD

DorothySydney Surrounds, NSW

Terrible card!!

Where do I start! The exchange rate was terrible, at least 4 cents less than other cards. There were several instances where I tried to transfer money on the card only to be given an error message saying that the travel card didn't exist. And finally on check out I tried to pay the bill using my travel card which had sufficient funds and it was declined. I spent almost an hour at reception trying to pay in $500 increments, half of which were declined. I tried to phone the number provided on my travel card info, which unfortunately was a general Commbank number and not a travel card hotline. Will not use it ever again!!!

CurrencyUSD
Travel Money Cards & Currency Exchanges

Find out how Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card compares to other Travel Money Cards & Currency Exchanges

Horrible exchange rate.

Horrible exchange rate. Not competitive at all. While easy to use, and beneficial if going multiple countries, there are better options out there. Ie. I got an exchange rate of 71 yen when it was trading at 75.

Katherine

KatherineGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

CHILE (Card won’t work)

In Chile, I was not able to use it to pay anything. The card will only work with just one ATM (Bank of Chile) which is difficult to find one

Michael H.

Michael H.Perth, WA

Absolute Theft

First of all i didnt want this card they CBA pushed it on me, said it would save me money that was a total lie the currency rate the give they is crap so make money there and then if tranfer the money back to its original currency they rip you off 20C in the dollar, i was not told of any of this when they pushed the card on me absolute thieves.

Zac G.

Zac G.Sydney, NSW

Ripp off

Ripp off. I used this card when I went to the US. Easily paid $500 or more than I needed to.

Dont waste your time. Its easy to open a bank account once you land. Then, transfer money using TransferWise. That the best app with cheapest rates and no hidden fees Ive found.

Not impressed

Not impressedPerth, WA

Misleading and deceptive

CurrencyTHB
Reyes

ReyesMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Useless

Couldn't even use it at a large department store and for petrol. Just kept getting declined. Useless in America. Ended up having to withdraw cash and got charged almost USD$10 in fees at the ATM. Not for emergencies... it will likely get declined.

CurrencyCAD and USD

Unreliable

I travelled to Chile. I needed to pay the hotel but it didn't work. I tried then in restaurants, shops, supermarkets, all at different cities, but nothing.
I called customer service and the only solution was to issue new cards which would arrive by the time I was back from my trip.
I strongly recommend not to rely on this card, choose a different one or take cash.

Wendy

WendyGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Cancelled travel card rip off

My travel card expired and the money which was left on the card went to unclaimed money. I don't understand why the bank would not have tried to transfer it to the account it was linked to or contact me to advise me. Shows they don't care about their customers. Unable to access how much was in the account. Called customer service who had a don't care attitude and advised I need to go into a bank to make a claim through unclaimed moneys. Difficult when working full time but went to my local branch to lodge a claim. No idea why the bank has to make this so difficult but they have lost me as a customer. I will find another bank who does not do this and cares about their customer.

Viva Espana

Viva EspanaSurfers Paradise QLD. 4217

NO GOOD- ABSOLUTE RIPP-OFF

CurrencyEUR
Holly

HollySydney, NSW

Lost $750 before I even went overseas, given misleading information about this card

I transferred $8200 to Euros from AUD and received $5000 which seemed about right. It wasn't until I decided i wanted my money back in AUD that I lost just over $750 in fees and conversion rates. Essentially if you don't spend all your money overseas, you loose it! Massive rip off and was told I could convert easily and conveniently back to AUD, no mention of the massive fees associated with this type of transaction. Lucky I didn't discover this overseas, will be cancelling the card immediately after trying to recoup my money.

CurrencyAUD, EUR and GBP
PAUL

PAULHobart

The bank stole my money

My card expired whist I was travelling I could not get a replacement sent to Europe so stuck with no money , then my money just vanished 2 months ago and I had to go to the back to reclaim what was mine over 6000 dollars do not get this card theives

Inflexible and high fees

Have USD loaded on the card. About to travel overseas and wanted to withdraw USD to have some cash on hand. Went to George and Market St Sydney foreign currency deal in branch to be told you can’t withdraw USD in Australia. Card can only be used overseas to withdraw cash. Useless.
Have also travelled with it to a few countries now to be slugged fees higher than stated on its website!! Time to look for a better card!!

No confidence in combank

Was charged 11 1/2 months later for an overseas transaction, but my concern is how do you know it hasn’t already been deducted from your money card? ! Filed a dispute with combank but did not hear anything from them. Very poor customer service!

This card is daylight robbery. DO NOT USE.

During the December / January period the card was 'fee-free'. We put in just NZD500 for a one week trip to NZ. That translated to AUD497. We didn't use any of the money, so we closed the card - and got AUD452 back. So in just one week, the Bank ripped AUD45 - that's 10% from our pocket in Bank-generated 'exchange rate difference'. All this time the rate was steady at 0.95. If we'd put in say NZD50,000, we'd have lost AUD10,000 in just one week.
Obviously, outside of this 'fee-free' period, they rip out even more.
It's THEFT, pure and simple.
You need negative stars (lots of them) to rate this insidious product. One star is far too much.

Peter Griffin

Peter GriffinSouth West, WA

They don't send you a new one when it expires

Be aware when your card expires your funds will go to unclaimed money. Now I have to go into the branch to claim it back without knowing how much I had. Could be 1$ could be 1000$ I can't access my account info now so how is someone to know if they are being ripped off?? Trust of a big bank?

Ridiculously low rate

I added AU$1000 to the card and exchanged to VND but didn't have a chance to use it due to change of plan. Then I transferred the total VND amount back to AU$ and I lost $150. It was completely ripped off. Do not recommend it to anyone. I wished I should have googled about it first before ordering the card.

AMcT

AMcT

Do not use!

Can’t get it to work in commbank atms in Indo. This is terrible, especially because the banks version of Siri is worse than useless and just try asking for help from a real person. Dinosaur bank, unhelpful app, useless travel card. Back to the credit unions it is.

See all Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card reviews