Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card

Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card

Don’t forget

Check your expiry date before travelling again and renew otherwise you’ll have to pay for the card again. After travelling for one month through Asia my wife had a Citi bank card which ended up being $50 better off and no cost for the card but Citibank isn’t available for all countries.
When you use travel money card at a restaurant you find yourself signing the receipt all the time instead of pin which becomes a bit annoying. Never had a problem getting cash just remember your slugged with a fee every time you use it at atms so limit withdrawals.

Walton

WaltonRichmond-Tweed, NSW

Used this card in Spain and Portugal

Traveller

Traveller

Be Careful

Card was very easy to use and performed well. However be aware that pin may not be accepted for goods and services and you will need to sign your docket and that your signature will not be checked which means do not lose your card. (used in Canada).

Travel Money Cards & Currency Exchanges

Find out how Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card compares to other Travel Money Cards & Currency Exchanges

Damo

DamoIndonesia

Average

Harold

Haroldmelbourne

Warning: you must be extremely scrupulous when using these cards!!!

Insecure travel card

The travel card used in European Union was ok, however, it was compromised in South Africa. Thieves were able to get access to the information on the card, after it was used at an ATM, with a security guard at the bank. Card is still in my possession and they were able access the funds.

Realized some ATMs are rip offs Italy

After posting a negative review from Venice now know problem is with ATMs called Cash machines. Do not use as rate will be calculated back to AUD regardless, even if already loaded as Euro . You will lose about 15% on exchange .
Use bank ATMs only which show 1 for 1.

Conveniant but crap exchange rate

The card is great in Vietnam. Excepted everywhere that has eftpos and at most atms. Very easy to reload more funds onto card through netbank and check balance. Then the massive rip off comes in. Cba says $15 establishment fee then no more fees apart from withdrawal fees (which are high due to low value withdrawal limits meaning more withdrawals). Current exchange rate is $1 = 16,674 vnd, however when I load more money onto the card the Cba's exchange rate is $1 = 15,478 vnd! They're ripping me off 1200 vnd for every single dollar I transfer. Huge hidden fee they claim not to have! And as I have read these reviews while I'm still in Vietnam I'll be withdrawing what's left before I come back and exchanging it elsewhere.

BSFAU

It works fine

I have been using this card for overseas travel for years - whilst far from perfect I must admit that it does work.

It loads OK, its online features can now be managed within Netbank which is better and you can preconvert into a growing number of currencies. They send me replacement cards whenever I ask. Most importantly when it comes time to using it overseas it has worked half of the time (it didnt work in Japan, nor China for me but was Ok in Thailand and Hong Kong).

BSF

Strongly advise that you bring more than 1 type of card with you whenever you travel as not all machines can read or transact with each type of card.

BSF

PS - recently took it to Hong Kong and China and had no problems using it at all. I was able to choose the currency to credit from and all of the EFTPOS readers and ATM machines read the card properly.Very good.

EmmylouRichmond-Tweed, NSW

Maybe best of a bad bunch?

tamararose
tamararose

Hi Emmylou
My partner and I are looking to travel to Laos for the first time using this card, did you experience any other difficulties? What Debit card and credit card do you use without international transaction fees?

giraffegal
giraffegal

Hi Emmylou, you mentioned "a credit card that charges no international transaction fees" - can you tell me which credit card that is?

sue

suesydney

No problems with card

I was in US in Jan 2013. I found travel card does not work on chase atms or bank of america atms. Worked on HSBC atms. Difference is HSBC atms displays credit/chq/sav screen for selection. Don t use card on fastcash atms. I managed to withdraw $300 usd.
Have similar problem in Iceland. Also got pin error. Best thing about card is I can use card to pay for goods in Icelandic kroner with euro on card.
Flexible with currency for purchase of goods
Transaction at ATMs need 'credit' to be selected for pin to work.

Good, just got to be smart about it

I liked how I could add multiple currencies onto the one card and pick my own PIN for it. Problems I found with it was that I could only withdraw money from ATMs that were Bank ATMs - not the quick cash ones as they didn't seem to recognise my card. My friend had a travelex card which allowed her to withdraw money from any ATM.
Also I was never asked for my PIN in the UK, everytime I had to sign which was a bit disappointing as it was the extra level of security.
I was asked for my PIN every time I used it in ITaly though which was good
I would probably use this again over the travelex card though as i liked the choice of PIN and one card. Just need to keep it close to you

MTXEM

MTXEMGold Coast

Rip Off

When I set up the card, I was told that there would be no charges from the CBA, only the withdrawal fee from the overseas bank. CBA charged me $3.50 on top of the overseas bank charge each time I withdrew cash. In addition, the exchange rate that CBA gave was well below the local cash rate that I could have got. Just another way for the Aussie banks to rip off their customers.
Didn't have to carry cash.
Expensive way to access your own money.

Johnson
Johnson
Robyn J.

Robyn J.Hunter Region, NSW

Started off well but....

narrabeen

An easy way to obtain cash etc.overseas

The big problem is that you lose about ten percent of funds when you return and cash the card in.This can be overcome by buying the travel card with only australian dollars on it.You do lose two percent on transactions due to a cross currency conversion rate,but this is cheaper than using your own cards [ ATM fee of $5 plus 2% and $1 plus 2% on purchases]and a lot cheaper than losing ten percent on redemption.So thats how to beat the bank.They will hate me for giving out this info,but,why not.
Convenient and accepted world wide.
Too much bank margin on redemption.

alabaster
alabaster
Travel Money Cards & Currency Exchanges

Generally it was good, but it did let us down on a few occasions

Good for specific purpose