Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card

Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card

Sarah

SarahSydney

Surprised at the reviews here

Shopped around and got this card recently for the various benefits. Happy with how it works and what it does! Can't quite understand why people are so angry, it's hit the mark easily for me and what I need out of a card.

john

johnSouth East Queensland, QLD

Travel money card

ptiva

ptivaSouth East Queensland, QLD

Much better than woeful NAB product

Travel Money Cards & Currency Exchanges

Find out how Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card compares to other Travel Money Cards & Currency Exchanges

I like it

I use it in Hong Kong It's great to use on purchases just try not to draw cash out at ATM it has $3 Australia fee if u do take a lot so not to do it too many times

Sam N

Sam NPerth

Used in Nepal. Works but know the tricks for ease of use

No issues

I'm using this card while living in the UK. There's fees to withdraw cash but the best way to get around that is to withdraw large amounts at once. The mobile app is really intuitive and the card doesn't have reload fees through BPay. I experienced the best customer service when setting up the account. The only downside is that it can take 24 hours for money to move across via Bpay.

excellent card

I found this was a really good card we had euros and pounds on it, it was easy to switch between currency and to add money too we travel for 10 weeks with no hassels

jackbilly44

This is very useful when overseas

Last time I reviewed this I was not happy with the card, mainly around having to wait to get my money when transferred via BPay. Now it appears to be shorter, but if you have an online account to can directly deposit (transfer) instantly which is just great when you need to top up. I use my mobile com app to do this when overseas and works very well.
I would now highly recommend this card as I live overseas now and get paid into my com bank acct and all works fine.
Probably the most frustrating thing is the exchange rate but overall it's good.

Maxc5

Maxc5Gippsland, VIC

Worked well for my daughter

I bought this card (you actually are given 2 cards) for my 16 year old daughter who was travelling to the UK. I loaded the card up with GBP and she used it without an issue in the UK. She used it at shops as a normal eftpos card, and also at ATMs to get cash. There was a GBP2 charge by the UK banks to withdraw money from the ATMs, and the forex rate was the CBA over the counter rates as expected. When she ran low on cash, I was able to upload more money to the card via NetBank instantly - I thought that was great. This card gave me confidence that my daughter would not be left without cash overseas.

Redback

RedbackKenthurst

Great When Our Daughter Was OS -

Acceptable

Hidden charges

All in all the travel card worked well in Phuket but the hidden charges are almost the same as using a credit card.
An ATM withdrawal of 10,000 Thai Bhatt ($326 AUS) attracted a CBA fee of $3,50 + a Thai charge of 150Bhatt (= $5,00) and on top of that the exchange rate was so low that the there was a hidden loss of another $22.24 in the exchange rate. I think the loss on the exchange rate is typical across all credit cards and not just the travel card but the other $8.50 is still lower than credit cards but not by a lot.
Worked easily. Using your own money and not credit.
Costs are not what the bank tells you.

Julia
Julia

Why should there be a hidden loss of $22.24 if the card was loaded with Thai Baht?

OliviaTray
OliviaTray

You cant load Thai Baht on there. He said he withdrew Baht he never said he loaded it on there.

Brumim
Brumim

You can load Thai baht on the card. I have and still got charged the massive exchange rate. Card not worth using. It's a disgrace and comm bank should be ashamed to promote tem

Anon6

Been great in Canada and US

B04

B04PERTH

Worked Perfect for us

We went to NZ, Canada and USA for 4 weeks and used a travel money card, I was really worried about it after reading reviews that mostly seemed bad but we had no issues at all. Used it as a credit Card and at ATMs everywhere. It was great having a second card so you had backup incase one got stolen / lost and could check our balance online easily.
Easy to use and was accepted everywhere.
Conversion Rate and charges for withdrawing from ATMs (a lot of ATMs had a $200 limit withdrawal in USA) but if you go to major bank ATMs it works better.

Supereasy & Convenient

Good

See all Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card reviews

Javeria H.

Javeria H.asked

can we transfer money overseas (India) through travel money card by using money gram.

Kit Sheung Lai

Kit Sheung Laiasked

How to renew my travel money card with commonwealth bank while I’m overseas ? Do I have to be physically present in Australia in order to renew it? Is there any other way to renew it while I’m overseas?

Dorothy
Dorothy

Hi Kit. Check out all the reviews before you renew the card.

Noelia P.

Noelia P.asked

Hi, the card was used to withdraw $100 USD from an ATM in Walmart in Kentucky USA. Was charge $2.50USD by the Commonwealth , but then charged an additional $18.36 USD. So a $100USD withdrawl cost $20.86USD , About $30 AUS. Is this right? How do we avoid this.

John
John

It was probably a private ATM. Always use recognized banks. I would suggest only withdrawing when you need cash and don’t do this often. Use the cash card to pay for as many of your transactions as possible as there is no fee for payments.

See all Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card questions