Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card

Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card

• Competitive Exchange Rate Yes (4) · No (2)
theloneranger1988

theloneranger1988Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Absolutely Amazing !!

I've just returned from a 2 month trip to Europe during the height of COVID19 and if wasn't for this card i wouldn't have been able to do so much stuff in the limited amount of time that i had. In addition to that it's awesome for online shopping since there's no minimum charge and the transfers are instant.

Love it !!

Horrible dispute mechanism

While it is convenient to be able to pay without fees the exchange rate is horrible.
We used it in Switzerland, Euro counties and the Czech Republic. Loaded before going with $A and Euros.
We had 2 transactions turned down that are currently still “pending”. This was 26 and 24 days ago. Have had numerous emails and 4 telephone conversations and still not resolved. The service desk was answered on all but one occasion by operators who had heavy accents and were extremely difficult to understand as I assume I was to them.
Emails were answered 3-4 days later with a pleasant but irrelevant message instructing me to call them once again.
No ability to call using WiFi call made this difficult whilst overseas.

oreillysmission01

oreillysmission01South East Queensland, QLD

Simple and effective

Strange to see so many poor reviews for this card - I have found it to be excellent through South America, Bali, Asia etc. I haven't had a single issue with it. Transferring funds is immediate on the app, and its nice and safe. Loading up with another currency, and withdrawing in that currency is a good idea to avoid extra fees.

I was only charged $3.50 for (ATM) cash withdrawals - pretty reasonable I thought. Beyond this card, its always good to have an international credit card (like 28 degrees) which can be used as back up.

you don't pay any transaction fee if you withdraw in the currency loaded on the card. I.e Load up with Euro, and withdraw in Euro and you will only pay with withdrawal fee.

Travel Money Cards & Currency Exchanges

Find out how Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card compares to other Travel Money Cards & Currency Exchanges

AJ59

AJ59Geelong

No Problems at All

Having not travelled for 20 years I was not sure what the best option for money in Europe.
I finally decided on the CBA Money Card, glad I did as I had no issues at all.

G.L

G.LBrisbane

Virtually useless to a couple!

Went to a branch who said it was possible for my wife and I to get cards and link them. We have a joint account, joint home loan and joint credit card but in fact we cannot get a joint travel money card or even two seperate ones that are linked. Now I have to either give my wife cash or be with her 24/7 as the pin option on the card doesn't work 99% of the time and requires a signature! All in all pretty much useless to us!

VenuA.

VenuA.Sydney, NSW

Not worth it if you are travelling to Vietnam or Cambodia !

Over a 2-week holiday covering Vietnam and Cambodia we paid about a total 23 USD (about 35 AUD) of bank fees for 4 withdrawals @ ATMs. Expect to pay about 50,000 dong per cash withdrawal in Vietnam in addition to the excess fees the local bank will be charging (depends on your transaction). In Cambodia cash withdrawal fees were about USD 2.50 and the local bank will keep another USD 5.00. In Vietnam, when the card was used in stores an additional 3% tax (VAT) was charged. It felt like daylight robbery. The only positive about the card was the relative ease in which you could use the CBA App to load money in different currencies with a WIFI connection.
Next time I travel to these countries I will be taking cash and exchanging there.

Monet

MonetGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Dud card

We used this card in USA gets rejected often and works sometime worst was checking in to American Airlines wouldn't work at all ever!! Embarrassing and frustrating tried to contact Com Bank ha,ha good luck with that might as well be on Mars

Competitive Exchange RateYes
Quack

QuackAdelaide

Going to Vietnam

I suggest that you take cash (USD preferably although AUD is acceptable). Used CBA Travel Card at Vietnamese bank ATMs was charged VND50000 per withdrawal PLUS additional fees of the Vietnamese banks. Vietnam is a 'cash' society with even hotels preferring cash (USD or AUD). And yes exchange rate provided by CBA was low and hotels there don't give good rates either. At least I could access the account and load it via NetBank.

Dazza

DazzaShepparton

They don't tell you this

Get an ANZ card, no cost & (this is for all travel money cards) ONLY put AUD on the card...you will lose hundreds of $ converting onto & then off it. CBA charge you $17 for the card, then 5% to load money and whatever they want to change it back to Aus $....never again.

Alicia

AliciaPerth

Exactly what I needed

KirstenZ

KirstenZSydney

My experience with CBA travel card account.

Had EXACTLY the same thing happen with my account. It disappeared from my netbank app. 2nd Jan 2018 I'll be in the branch, and have had 3 days to get nice and angry. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

CHECK YOUR EXPIRY DATE

Kurt.J

Kurt.JMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Worked Fantastic

As a individual who had problems with my last travel card through another company this Travel car came with no problems. I used this card in 13 countries and when I finished it was an easy process to close.

Side note, always look away at the reviews from private messages. Only trust reviews from Members!

Not worth the convenience

Used card in Europe. Don't get the card if you're happy to withdraw cash on your normal bank card. The travel money card gives you a significantly low rate in comparison to withdrawing cash. So, if you're happy to use cash during your trip, I'd suggest skipping the travel money card.

Dave Dee

Dave DeePERTH

Avoid "travel money" cards at all costs

Banks not only make their money from customers being unable to do mental arithmetic when traveling, but any cash left after the expiry date they (wait for it) CONFISCATE ! The constant fees for switching between currencies are the least of a users problems. A much better idea is to obtain a credit card with no annual fee and no conversion fees, and preload it with Aussie dollars making sure it is NEVER in debit and use that to withdraw cash at overseas ATMs. The 28 Degrees card is very good in that regard, but make sure you pay off in full every month or high interest charges apply.

Stevie890

Stevie890

Honestly I hesitated yet I tried and I was happy

Been from US and I would say I'm so glad I used it. I didn't withdraw from Atm , i used it to purchase on shops, resto and pay accom and there were no charges. Also i just transferred money from my savings to my travel card via online and it was so convenient and fast. Btw select credit if asked coz it is not savings. Hopefully it would work the same for all travellers going to other countries

Rip off exchange rates for Commbank travel card

Commbank offering .84 exchange from NZ $ to Aus $. FOR $226NZ I am getting $196 AUS. Cancelling my card, Commbank travel card repeatedly gives you very low exchange rates.

Lisa D

Lisa DMelbourne

No issues at all with this card

I've been using this travel card for 6 years. I've traveled most of Asia and the USA with it. I've never had a problem in any country with it working. The exchange rate is ordinary but then most cards seem to have that issue. I try to avoid taking out cash anywhere and use eftpos/credit which keeps the fees down. I love the fact you can transfer money on to it instantly from the commbank app. Most of the others you have to wait several hours for your money to go onto the card. My daughter also has this card and has traveled extensively with no issues at all.

USA

Had major issue with the primary card did not work at all had to rely on secondary card or my own credit card. At Las Vegas airport it did not work at all and some places would not accept card pre-loaded with cash.

Great in Bali

It was my first time using this card and I didn't actually convert from AUD to IDR I let the atms do it for me! I would transfer from my everyday bank account to the travel account and left it AUD then just took it out of an ATM as I needed it. The only reason you need to convert it beforehand is to lock in a great rate. The ATM fees were $3.5 each time but that's not huge.
Will be using again for Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand this year, hopefully I can write a good review afterwards.

See all Commonwealth Bank Travel Money Card reviews