Online, Branches
1.7 from 1,417 reviews

1.9

Joe

JoeMid North Coast, NSW

Worst bank I have ever had the misfortune to deal with.

I became a Commonwealth customer when I became Power of Attorney for my Father and later executor of his will. EVERY SINGLE undertaking the bank has given me has been broken, even to the extent of a Branch Manager not showing up to an appointment that he personally requested. It took them four attempts to get Netbank to work and they have given numerous lots of conflicting and erroneous advice about what I could use the account for. They told me there would be no fees and the very first statement included fees. I wasted hours getting them to reverse the fees and next month there was a fee for the transaction in which they refunded the first lot of erroneous fees! I can't wait to finish with them.

TopicBusiness Banking, General Transactions and New Account

Switching banks

As a customer myself I opened an account for my son, 8 weeks later still no card. When asked the first time they said they would re send another card, another 3 weeks passed so called again to be told oh they just aren't sending out cards now you'll have to go into a branch and get it sent there?! How about we just switch banks, bye. Terrible service

Navid S

Navid SSydney

Horrible business banking practices

TopicATM Experience, Business Banking, Credit Card Application, General Transactions, Loan Application and New Account

Srinivas

SrinivasIllawarra, NSW

HAPPY CUSTOMER

1 yr with the bank and am ok with the products. The phone service and in branch service was good. My mortgage lender did a good job in making sure the process was pain free. Decent rstes , not the best in the market , hut def best any CBA cust could get.
The only issue i had was with the credit card disputes team due to which i moved my credit card to Macquarie.
Otherwise would have given a 5 , if card service was good.

Jdm

Jdm

Wish I could give them 0

Took them 3 weeks to do something that should of taken 3 min. Then under charged me and threatened me because I owed them money. Absolute bunch of clowns. Also spent 45min on the phone while I got transferred through 4 sets of hands. Definitely wouldn’t recommend

CJ W

CJ WSouth East Queensland, QLD

For the best bank in Australia they are the Worst

This bank is the richest Australian bank yet they charge account keeping fees, they invest in fossil fuels and they have no (No annual fee) credit card which would be nothing as a lot of other banks have no annual fees.

Julia W.

Julia W.South East Queensland, QLD

Very happy!

I’ve been with commonwealth for over two years, as they are pretty much the only bank that offers a student credit card. Every interaction I’ve had with commonwealth has been great! I had to cancel my card in 2018 due to fraud, and again earlier this year after I lost it, and they were amazing to deal with both times. No long phone holds, onshore call centres and dealt with the fraudulent money very quickly and without hassle. The app has never been an issue, and I love the notifications to my phone anytime I purchase anything.

tony

tonyCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

misuse of personal details

This bank without asking, opened a debit account in my name. The first I knew off this was when I received a card in the mail. I did not ask for this account to be opened. This is a misuse of my personal details. Once again this bank showed ethical behavior means little to them. The royal commission into their behavior appears to have taught them nothing.

Simon C

Simon C

Tried calling their wait times are as bad as DHS

Tried calling CBA
Still on call waiting the last 45 minutes.
Just terrible.
The call waiting music really does your head in after a few minutes....
I managed to speak to someone who tried to authenticate me, said I didnt have an account with CBA, so she transferred me through to another dpt, back on call waiting.
Really really lousy service. Call wait times in excess of 15 minutes are too long.

TopicLoan Application and New Account

Find out how Commonwealth Bank compares to other Banks

Best bank is australia. I have been with the commonwealth bank for 23 years.

Excellent bank. I have been with the commonwealth bank for 23 years. Always great service. I transfered money to the wrong account, the commonwealth bank cancelled it straight away. Love

TopicATM Experience, General Transactions and New Account
kaycee

kayceePerth, WA

depends who you get.

I have a regular bank account and I'm perfectly satisfied. 95% of the workers are kind and helpful, but sometimes the hold times are ridiculous. They need more employees, however the app is very well developed.

Jarrod

JarrodGold Coast

Worst customer service there is

Whenever I call to try to solve simple things. Need atleast 40 minutes ready to waste with the hold times. For a bank as rich as they are, employ some more people!!! Time is money, and you have alot of mine.

TopicBusiness Banking, General Transactions and New Account

Impossible to get through on the phone. Tried for four days

No customer service. Could not get through by phone. Tried for four days. I wanted a question answered about term deposit. Wished to transfer money. A nightmare. The bank has lost my business now.

terrible experience

They blocked my personal account in 2006 due to fraud.I was the victim and they knew it.They allowed me to open the business account in 2013 and I had been a loyal customer for 4 years until I sold my business.Recently I had to go and get the bank guarantee from the CBA required by centrelink and was told that I was not allowed to open any account with them since 2006 and because it's been too long the decision is not reversible.I made a formal complaint to them nothing happened.I made another complaint with the AFCA.Hopefully they can help.

Prabhu Arumugam

Prabhu ArumugamSydney, NSW

Upto 2 weeks to open account?!

Please invest money on your customer verification team , making small businesses wait for 10+ days to even activate an account is like saying you don't want our business. On the contrary westpac seem to do it in 45 mins when u walk in. I am starting to regret even before starting here.

TopicBusiness Banking and New Account

LJG

LJGDuffy 2611, ACT

Hard to Contact

So far over 2 hours on hold on multiple phone calls, they assume I have infinate time to waste waiting for them. Website forms don't work which is why I have to call, the message says to call back later because they have a lot of calls (this is a standard message I have received when I have called back 3 times and waiting on hold for 30 + minutes each time without getting through to anyone. No call back facility.

Just dumb, and they charge you if you go into a branch to get anything done!

TopicBusiness Banking, Credit Card Application and New Account
Prof X.

Prof X.Sydney, NSW

So terrible and so complicated!

TopicNew Account

If possible, CAB have got worse since I last patronised their services 15yrs ago

Andy

AndyGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Bank from hell

Signed up for a joint account and one of our cards got stolen. Over a month later still fighting them for 50 bucks. You didn't think they have a trillion in assets doing the right thing did you. I bank with a other big bank and the customer service is like chalk and cheese. Only been with them a month. Safe to say the account will be getting closed and I will set up a joint account else where. You would be better withdrawing cash and walking around with it in your pocket, less chance of getting robbed.

Ian

IanGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

poor , they dont seem to know what they are doing

forms more forms and then refill the same forms. i dont think they actually know what they are doing. you cant set up a bank account , oh you can i am sorry. you dont need to verify your details oh bugger you do need to verify your details. can someone pls tell me how the dysfuncts became australia's largest bank?

TopicBusiness Banking, Loan Application and New Account

Megs M.asked

Commonwealth Bank

Branch manager accused me of POA abuse. Brothers used threat of loosing apartment to cohere her to bank. They were agressive & saying horrible things about the POS. Mum tried to explain that she knows but brothers ignored her, they know she fragile since dad died and she’s grieving. They know she not to stressed, threatened or anything that could another stroke but they just so agressive she couldn’t get them to stop. Clearly agetated &’upset there was no duty of care about mums emotional state. Cba branch manager continued to rattle off amounts mums still persisting that I know about that but they didn’t listen and basically ignored mum and talked amongst themselves. Mum and I share everything - our money is both mum and mine. I do buy grog cerise’s, scripts, petrol moving costs - mum pays the 1/2 utilities and I pay half or whatever. Now my reputation as well as my deceased dads name is being slandered in my home town...that branch manager did not handle appropriately but sneaky. CBA did not contact mum regarding homeloan in arrears. Never in the 3-4 months this was accumulating did the bank advise. I have tried to communicate with them regarding sale of unit hold up due pandemic and the info said homeloans would get blah blah. I want this condescending woman fired for causing undue stress worry all because she ignored what mum was trying to tell her and just spoke to men. I came home after renovating to find a broken woman who’s glue was nearly dry crumbled again and so I started gluing pieces back on. Mum gave me bills to pay so I went to post office and advised decline. So I emailed branch manager advising have utilities to pay, can you arranged a letter so mum can read instead of comprehend that her utilities, prescriptions. And home repayments have now been rectified due to mum having account where the direct debit for loan. I have sent a few detailed emails & as yet 5 days have not received any explanation for mum or have even done anything are did you arrange for So my question is:
Did the branch manager follow procedure.
Did branch manager ignore my emails advising I can’t pay debit, scripts anything as have been blocked so who buys food pays bills now.. I have no idea. She’ll disregard my emails regarding house market during covid. should you make she you have your facts in order before defaming a persons reputation.

Alee will
Alee will

I am so terribly sorry to hear this has happened to you!!!Please contact the bank and ask to speak to a manager,this is disgusting behaviour!!

Megs M.

Tried she refused to see me ignored my emails. I’ve advised my solicitor. I’ve spoken with financial ombudsman and customer connect which help resolve issues but I don’t want resolves I want an apology to my mother and the person reprimanded. But Thankyou for you’re support - I’m still shaking my head at the assumptions and defamation x

James M.

James M.asked

Commonwealth Bank

what are the good and bad things of common wealth bank

alan
alan

they are the same as any other bank all bad no good

Megs M.

No duty of care. An aggressive branch managers who showed no duty of care of my “elderly” mother. Who sneered at me the first time I was introduced. So she accused me of POA abuse & that was incorrect but I received not apology still treated me like a criminal.

James M.

James M.asked

Commonwealth Bank

what are the bad and good things of the common wealth bank

Other Banks