MPN: DIR895L

See the Best Routers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Too expensive. Unstable connection

A great router with excellent wifi range within the first few months.. No buffering or freezing of either downloads and gaming or video streaming with excellent reception. But after a few months, it does have a problem with load balancing with multiple devices and that can interrupt video streaming. it's true capabilities. It also heats up and freezes every now and then. Had to reboot nearly every 2 weeks.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Sexy looks, average performance, high price

I bought this product after being recommended by a dick smith rep, but regret not doing my own research. After hearing that my home internet speed might be being throttled by telstra's crappy stock router (with NBN), I bought this seeking high speed, and high reliability, and a solid 5ghz network. Unfortunately, I was not impressed. While the six antennas look fancy, they aren't powerful enough to deliver the 5ghz network to the second storey of my medium sized, wood construction house. Opting to stick with the 2.4ghz instead, performance showed no improvement over the modest looking telstra stock router. More annoyingly, I've experienced countless reliability issues, with random network dropouts approximately once a week, where I have to reset the router to restore internet to the household. Especially given the high price tag, this delivers a very disappointing experience. The only pro is being able to show off a red decepticon looking aircraft carrier on my desk to friends :(

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Powerful but unstable

I am currently on my replacement one which I've given up already.
Both of them are working well for the first couple of weeks until you see the WI-FI drop off every couple of days and then you have to power cycle it though I've already set it to power cycle daily at midnight.
Indeed, it looks like a quite powerful machine with it buggy outlook(or spaceship if you really likes it), but I would suggest you stay away from it as it is too much of trouble to troubleshooting. Moreover, the conversation with their phone centre is hopeless, the technical support only follows their scripts. But if you have the time and energy, their support through email is more helpful.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

This is a piece of junk - Do not buy

I bought this with excitement and high expectations. Disappointment set in quickly.

Just generally flaky. After initial configuration it worked, but then some of my devices that work on 2.4Gz didn't seem to work (Raspberry Pi2 and Epson printer). Then looked at manually configuring 2 separate SSIDs for the different bands, but then all devices could only see the 2.4Gz band SSID. WiFi would drop in and out, lights on the router would initially be on, then go off. A lot of difficulty connecting to the WiFi, authentication errors even though using the right password.

Tried resetting the device, still problems with connecting and WiFi dropping out.

Just the most frustrating device I've ever tried to work with. I tried many hours to get this router working but just led to more and more frustration. I plug back in my Netgear D6300 and everything works perfectly and fast.

I'm highly experienced with technology and this is the 2nd bad experience I've had with a D-Link device (the previous was many years ago). I recommend to steer clear of this device, despite the appealing marketing.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Amazing range and speed

The router is very versatile, responsive and has a lot of features that wont interrupted with different devices being used at once such as phones, laptops and a lot of other wireless frequencies. Although the price is pretty high i did notice it to be a great deal better then your average $100 routers.

Date PurchasedNov 2015

Wouldn't you expect a functional router for $AU600?

I bought this router after some positive reviews but have to admit that I had mixed feelings when placing the order. I surely owned and own a lot of computer and network equipment, probably covering all kind of brands.
This router was meant to replace a faulty TP-Link (which lasted 2 years and worked fine until recently, but for $AU75 I can live withe the fact that it reached its life span and causes occasional WIFI drop-outs.)

So I placed the order for the D-Link, simply expecting superiour quality and performance (for a price you can buy a new PC for). Setup was easy until I reached the point where it suggested to use my existing D-Link account, my current credentials would not be accepted for whatever reason. Anyway, I skipped that for the moment and followed the suggestion to download a newer available firmware. Like with other routers I would expect that I am asked after the download to navigate to the folder containing the just downloaded file, not with this one. I have absolutely no idea if the new downloaded FW would be installed automatically or not, the interface just asked to login with the router password. It may or may not have actually flashed the ROM with a new FW, I have no idea.

Following this I now experienced a boot process which would fail, the router would switch between a steady normal light and the red light indicating that there are problems with the booting. I don't know if this is related to a possible FW upgrade or a device which presents a hardware fault after being in operation (or better setup) for 15min.

The contacted helpline was semi-helpful, suggesting I could send the item on my cost to Sydney (ever changed hard disks from Western Digital? They send a courier to pick up their faulty item) or return to the seller.
I now decided to drive 1.5 hours to the other side of Melbourne and will try to get a NETGEAR R9000 Nighthawk X10 AD7200 instead.

Reasons are:

- Found way more positive review for the Netgear than for the D-Link
- A fact I found out only after I placed the order for the D-Link: This item apparently shows weakness/incapability to handle (future) NBN. The Netgear doesn't seem to have this problem and I will be prepared when we eventually get NBN here.
- I owned a D-Link router years back, it failed after 2 years usage
- I had a D-Link IP-Camera in the past, this item died after a year or so.

Conclusion:

D-Link is certainly a brand I will stay clear off in future. I should have remembered my experience with faulty D-Link equipment in the past. I think I was just mislead that the high price tag would satisfy me but it couldn't. Remember, you can buy an WIFI-ac router (which handles common usage and ADSL speed well) for 20% of the price, so I think my expectations were realistic to get a functional product which outperforms others.

I see a router like a fridge or washing machine. It is not a gadget you use occasionally and you can live with the fact that it once stops. It has to be there after an easy set-up and needs to work, a fault or error just causes to much grief.
Reason for just one star: I simply couldn't get it running to say anything positive

Date PurchasedFeb 2017