D-Link Python AC1600 DSL-2888A

D-Link Python AC1600 DSL-2888A

MPN: DSL-2888A
See the Best Modems in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for D-Link? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

• Number of Connected Devices 8.667 devices
  • Ease of Setup
  • Reliability
  • Wi-Fi Range
Ferenc
FerencSouth East Queensland, QLD

Was excellent for 2 years...

then it needed rebooting every other day, then no 5gHz, so I reset. Only needs rebooting once a week now, but still no 5gHz available. Glad for 3 year warranty

Purchased in March 2019 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores for $179.00.

RossEd
RossEdGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Ok, but struggled with lots of devices

Had this router for a couple of years and it was ok with reasonable performance and coverage, until I got to around 20+ devices, then it struggled. I also had ongoing issues managing DHCP reservation - would show inaccurate readings. Rang support who suggested clearing caches, browsers, restarting etc - none of which helped. Eventually got it replaced but the replacement had exactly the same problems. Ended up going with Google Nest Wifi which has been more stable and manages 40+ connections no problem.

Purchased in February 2018 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores.

Other Modems

Great for general use, avoid for VPN.

This is a wonderful unit for general household use, it has amazing range and performs quite well with approx 10 devices connected at any one time.

The biggest issue was with VPN setup. It will not connect to a VPN for business needs, as such the unit is completely obsolete. Support will not help, they have no clue what is going on. Avoid this.

Ramajan
RamajanGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Purchased for 5Ghz, constantly drops out

I have had so many issues with this. When I first got it, I had issues printing from my printer on 2.4Ghz if my computer was on 5Ghz. I upgraded the firmware because I was having issues where the 5Ghz network would just drop out and I would have to restart the router to get it going again. After the firmware upgrade same thing. It makes it unsable. Especially as I have a Foxtel Now box so I hardly bother using the 5Ghz at all. I can be using the internet and all 5Ghz devices just drop out and says No internet the 2.4Ghz devices keep going. I wish I had purchased something else.

Purchased in December 2018 for $179.00.

naks
naksSydney

Needs reboot once a week. People on 5G can't connect to people on 2.4G

I've been on latest firmware for about a year (AU_2.12). Needs reboots often. Dies if you have too many connections open. People on the 5G wireless can't connect to people on the 2.4G connection. Would not recommend.

Purchased in June 2018 at JB Hi-Fi for $249.00.

Kamal E.
Kamal E.

very pleased

I bought this for ADSL but knowing that I will be changing over to FTTC NBN and I am very happy with it. My WIFI has been rock solid with multiple of hungry devices. The speeds are excellent over wifi and the coverage is also good. The setup experience was the one easiest by far. never had a problem using it. highly recommended.

Purchased in October 2018 at Centre Com for $179.00.

RaymondSouth East Queensland, QLD

Good value router suits a mid size house

Has the power to run my automated house. I have 21 devices connected to wifi.
Great for a small to medium size house, if you have large house pay the extra for a cobra or a mesh system.
If you have HFC nbn it may be a little difficult to find ethernet over wan in the interface to set it up. Dlink has an excellent phone help to guide you through it, but know the isp settings before you call.
This router does not have voip. So there is no where to plug a phone in. The phone line and splitter in the box are for adsl not vdsl.

Purchased in May 2019 at Harvey Norman for $218.00.

Lynton A.
Lynton A.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Great modem

Great modem, currently stream to the lounge tv and the bedroom tv and a phone comfortably at the same time, no drop outs.
This is our second D link modem I have used 3 other different makes over time.
Well worth a look.

Purchased in December 2018 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores for $155.00.

Michael
MichaelSydney

An Ok Router

It's a pretty ok router, kinda annoying to setup with nbn but eventually after an hour something i got it running.

The wifi slowly started dying and slowing down only after 2 weeks, now the wifi can barely work from a 5 meter distance. And don't even try going to a bedroom 12 meters away unless you don't want to have wifi, the only thing on this router that is kinda reliable is the ethernet connection.
This is my second d-link python and it had the exact problems as my first one and will probably die and il have to replace it.

If you have good money, just buy a router that costs more than 350$ if you have more than 3 people in the house, anything bellow this is trash that dies between 6-12 months

Date PurchasedAug 2000

Carly
CarlySouthwest, VIC

Our Python is great. Set up was incredibly easy. In two months it has dropped out once. The signal is strong - it works on our street. We have NBN and the speed is excellent. Usually there is two of us using the internet at the same time; watching netflix or surfing. It looks good. I would highly recommend it.

Date PurchasedOct 2018
Piper
PiperInvergowrie

Awesome price

I love this router. For the price, performance, and range I doubt you can find a better router. I was extremely hesitant on purchasing a new router because our old Netgear from 10 years ago was working just fine but once I hooked this beast up... I realized how far behind we were. Installation was easy enough. Just follow the simple instructions and you are good to go.

Date PurchasedJune 2018

Ford
FordAdelaide

New D-Link modem working a treat

Read a few reviews on different modems for a new connection to the NBN and decided on the D-Link Python. Was wondering how far signal would travel as there is a distance between modem and one computer but was prepared to put a booster for the signal but have no need. Setup was also very easy so have no trouble recommending this modem.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Shane Jones
Shane JonesSouth East Queensland, QLD

Best router I have owned

I have only adsl in my house before this router speeds where crap. Now can stream foxtel on my wifi to my phone really impressed. The range and speeds it delivers over wifi are un believable. And to make life better it is nbn ready. It handles the 8 wifi devices in our house with ease.

Date PurchasedMar 2018
fried chicken
fried chickenACT

This is an excellent device.

In my experience this modem router is a very powerful device. I have been using this for about a month now, with ths arrival of FTTN NBN. I get very consistent sync speeds and the connection is very reliable. My house is composed mostly of brick, and signal from the other end was still very strong. Excellent device.

Date PurchasedJan 2018
AARYAN GUPTA
AARYAN GUPTAMelbourne

Hate It

I bought this modem 1 year ago always had the issue from the beginning. Complaint to d-link couple of times and nothing got sorted.

Every now and then the signals drops out. Overall I wasn't happy with it ended up returning the product and never buying the dlink products again.

Date PurchasedOct 2016