David Jones American Express

See the Best Rewards Credit Cards in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

CategoryRewards Credit Cards
Points Earn Rate 3 points per $1
Points Conditions
  • 3 points per $1 spent at major supermarkets and petrol stations,

• 2 points per $1 spent at David Jones,

• 1 point per $1 spent everywhere else.

Contactless PaymentsApple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay
Annual Fee$99 p.a.
Foreign Transaction Fee 3%
Interest Free Period 44 days
Introductory Offers
Sign-Up Bonus 15,000 Membership Rewards Points or 7,500 Qantas Points when you spend $750 outside David Jones within the first 3 months.
Introductory Rate 44 days Interest-free.
Release dateDec 2008

great card no problems at all

we found the david jones american express card among the simplest to use and the rewards program also very good and efficent and we turn our points into cash for christmas easy money and it is surprising just how quickly the points mount up good as or better than most others

Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses and Overseas/Travel

Worth credit card

The worth credit card i have ever used in my life. Please dont apply for this credit card at all. The customer service are really bad and even the managers or supervisor are not helpfull. You can get other credit cards with more benefits.

Card Start DateFebruary 2019
Main Point of ContactBranch
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses

USE YOUR DAVID JONES AMEX CARD WISELY

My wife and I have used our D.J. AMEX card now for many years. At least five times a year we cash in a $100 credit. Who's complaining - we love it. We pay for the things that are essential only. Fuel, HCF, groceries, Bunnings, Chemist Warehouse and any other store that doesn't charge a fee for using AMEX.

Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses

Alright card

I am alright with the card, i use and pay on time, don't use the card much. Always been a cash person and try to use cash as much as possible.

Main Point of ContactOnline

Loyalty card requiring a credit check

Pretty poor card 1. The reward points have significantly less value per point then the standard amex cards. 2. If in store they will convince you to get the card to save 10 percent. Issue is the process to sign up and also ensure that you meet the sign up annual fee waiver is messy (I.e 3 transactions in a short period) . The card is essentially a standard loyalty card but requires a credit check.

Card Start DateApril 2018
Card / Account Used ForSpecial Purchases

Customer support nightmares not worth your time

I’ve not experienced a worse customer service than from David Jones American Express team. They do not stick to their promises at all. I’ve been eligible for a $250 David Jones gift voucher which never arrived since last May 2018. It’s Feb 2019 as I write this. I still haven’t received it and each time I make a call, I’m told it’s being processed and that I will get a call back or that the card should arrive in 7 to 10 days... That’s how we’ve ended up here. This company clearly is experiencing a lot of issues, I would not be surprised to see it collapse at the rate they are managing clients. I’ve canceled the card and discourage strongly of anyone looking to sign up to this migraine inducing experience.

Card Start DateFebruary 2017
Main Point of ContactOnline
Card / Account Used ForOnline Shopping

Great card to have.

I have always liked Amex, since I have used an Amex before in another country. I have never had any problems with it whatsoever. Most of the retailers don’t accept Amex but then, it is not necessarily a bad thing. It sometimes helps me spend in a controlled manner.
The points that you can accumulate over a certain period is something which is unparalleled as compared to most if not all of the credit cards available out there. I have used my points on purchases at David Jones and the ease of using them is something I have found really impressive.
Last but not the least, I have never had any issues with reaching out to their customer service and it’s not just in Australia but also with the previous Amex that I used. They certainly maintain a standard worldwide.
All in all I am quite satisfied with my David Jones Amex Card.

Be careful- their systems for storing your personal details are defective

Since gathering my personal info on an iPad in store, they have managed to lose it completely with no explanation and no apology.
These people cannot be trusted with your personal data.

Appalling customer service

I lodged a dispute on a charge. Received an "Update" email on 24 October with an Inquiry Ref No. I made a telephonic enquiry on 3 Nov. to follow up on the progress of my dispute and received an email on 7 Nov requesting me to upload documents, but the amount was incorrect and it had a different Inquiry Ref No. I contacted Customer Services again, to enquire why there is a different Inquiry Ref No as well as to inform them of the incorrect amount reflected. Assumed they duplicated the dispute during previous telephonic conversation. During online chat tonight (logged into my account) the person I was talking to was condescending and unwilling to accept that a duplicate Inquiry was incorrectly created by someone at the customer centre. He first told me "not to confuse the matter" as well as "It is the same query" Then he insisted that the incorrect Inquiry Ref No was the first dispute submitted and due to my inactivity to provide necessary documents it was cancelled and that the Inquiry number I believe to be correct (email dated 24 Oct.) is in fact the newly created Inquiry. It is quite unclear to me how the "CORRECT (according to him) " Inquiry Ref No can have the wrong amount on it as well as being dated later. During the process of questioning how the "New" Inquiry Ref No can be dated prior to the "Old" he actually booted me out of my online account in order to end the chat. Will be lodging an official complaint against this staff member. This charge reversal has been absolutely exhausting to deal with. I never received communications requesting uploading of documents until I received the "duplicate" Inquiry with incorrect amount. I am basically to scared to phone the customer service again, because there is no telling what incorrect information will be reflected to my account next.

Idiotic

We needed to sign an "account management consent form" to allow the subsidiary cardholder to check payment status. The idiots sent us a form with was duly signed and returned. AMEX then came back saying it was the wrong form ....2 weeks later.
Dealing with the people on the help desk in the Phillipines is useless...but unfair on them ...the idiots in Sydney ..then start talking about anti-money laundering ...and are in a useless.

Don't use it

The services become worse and worse. and the member benefit offer less and less. I use the card already five years. I think it is time to change.
Last time they use my point to redeem David jones gift card without my authorise and no apologise when I call them.

Worst Card Eve.

I Try to dispute for an unauthorized transaction and it takes a while to investigate, and at the end they still want me to pay for an online transaction that I never made. I won't pay for it. customer service is the worse in the world very unhelpful (Amex doest have the text alert that you need to verify before any online transaction like visa and master card have)

So far so good

Statements and website easy to understand. Points system quite good compared to many others. Of course the usual high interest rate, but that is par for the course. I like that they text/email confirmation of payments and reminders.

Love Amex DJ card forever

I have been an Amex cardholder since 1999. Their services have been always 5 stars. I feel so Privilege to have Amex and Amex DJ cards!

Don’t ... Just Don’t!

I cancelled my DJ American Express card because the customer service & websites from both companies were awful. I was sent my points balance in $350 worth of DJ gift cards.
I went into the store to spend them on Xmas gifts, only to be told at POS that there was no credit on them! I had no choice but to leave the store without the gifts I planned to buy. I spoke to customer service and have followed up more than 4 times over 3 weeks, being promised time and time again that they would resolve it and they would call me back. Spoke to 6+ people who’ve apologized and promised to call back. 3+ weeks later and no resolution.
Absolutely useless, please do not deal with them!

Unhelpful staff and misleading

My whole experience with this card lasted less than a month. it's a waste of time.
The website is difficult to navigate.
I rang the helpline 3 times and I was told 3 different stories.
Untrained staff

Great benefits !!

We were offered this David Jones American Express card when we did some shopping in David Jones this year. We did pay the annual fee but also got a cash back. The offer sounded great. We now use his card much more than the other ones because we can collect point and then redeem.

Easy and great value for money

If you like getting more back when you spend then this is the card for you!
I have been with DJ Amex for over two years now and it is so great to be able to redeem your points on vouchers, my partner and I love being able to go to the movies for free.

lovely service after 4 years or so

no complaints from me at all , the staff are ok when i miss payment by day or two and really the most helpful call staff ...good points from majors i.e. coles woolies petrol

BE AWARE.

Make sure you are making more than the minimum repayments or you won't pay the card off before the interest free period and that's how they get you.