Dechellis Homes Questions & Answers

9 questions from our users

Minoos P.

Minoos P.asked

Hi we are planning to build a house soon in SA
Can anyone explain what is the difference between dechellis builders standards items and grande specifications?

Jodie Kasked

We are looking at building with this company, just wondering how long it takes from signing contract to moving in?

Hi Jodie

Thanks for your question.

Dechellis Homes are a builder that allows our clients to either modify a existing plan or create a custom design to meet their needs. We also provide our clients with a wide range of choices for selections.

Typically we allow approx.. 3-4 months for preliminary/contract works and then approx. 6 months for construction however please note these time frames depend on a number of factors such as location, single/double storey, size, council approvals, finance, site works, Christmas break etc..

If you would like more information on this or if you have a design in mind please contact our head office on 8362 7427 and we can certainly assist you further.

Kind Regards

Jodie K

Judging by all the bad feedback I am very reluctant to build with these guys, their display homes are great but I don't have the time or patience dealing with the aftermath once we move in. it is also disappointing that they have the reputation of being shonky and have very bad workmanship. Disappointed really.

Very disappointed
Very disappointed

It took us 18 months to get to contract stage, they were slow at just about everthing and always seems to put the delays on someone else other than themselves. So we eventually signed a contract but when it came for the bosses to sign it off they then slugged us an extra $19K on our contract price. So they said pay the extra charge or lose the contract. Basically they held us to ransom to either pay or they wont continue with the build. We decided not to continue with this unethical mob. Decided to go with a much more professional builder, and this so far has been absolutely brilliant dealing with a much more professional builder. Just watch for those discounts and free air conditioners offers, remenber nothing is free, they get there money back from you some how. Be carefull choosing this builder. Good luck

Deb Sasked

Can anyone give me a rough estimate of how much extra they paid to 'upgrade' from the grande specifications and make their selections more 'fancy'? Just after a rough guide of what extra $$ we might be expected to pay if we choose to upgrade a lot of items

Brand Manager B.Dechellis Homes

Hi Danii. Thanks for your question. It is a question that would have a different answer for everyone. What you choose to upgrade comes down to your personal taste and the main factor is your budget. It also depends what has already been included in your contract pricing. For example a lot of people will upgrade to stone bench tops from the beginning (unless this was part of a promotion) so it is already included which means you don't have to upgrade at selections. If you are upgrading items like sanitary ware (again depending on what you pick) the upgrade cost may not be large but if you are upgrading to full height tiling to bathrooms, then this would be more due to not only supply costs but labour costs too. To try to give you an indicative guide, you would be looking at $10K+ but how much extra depends on what you select. I hope this is somewhat helpful. Regards, Dechellis Homes

Deb S

Thanks. Are you able to provide a list of your suppliers?

Cindy C
Cindy C

Our upgrades cost around $25k. The problem being that the suppliers charge at full retail rates for anything you upgrade. For example - I upgraded from a 1 and half sink to a double and that cost me an additional $400. I could have bought the whole double sink for that price on my own - but i had to pay that for an upgrade - ridiculous . Many other examples of this in our place. I doubt that Dechellis are the only ones doing this price gouging across the board.

Diseyasked

My partner and I are thinking about building with Dechellis down south of Adelaide. Has anyone recently built with them and is there anything we should be aware of or any issues to watch out for? I've read a few forums and there is a mixed bag of findings but they all seem to be from 2010-2013. Would appreciate some feedback and/or reviews from this year. Also, do most people who build with them go with the Grande design and then spec up? Appreciate your comments.

Brand Manager B.Dechellis Homes

Hi Disey, I am the Sales / Marketing Admin Manager for Dechellis Homes. Most people do choose the Grande specification and you can then spec up as you require or as your budget allows. Our floor plans are functional and flexible so they can be modified to suit your lifestyle or block requirements etc. We will work within your requirements. You can visit a display home and start initial discussions with a home consultant and take it from there. You can look at designs and get our specification so you can see what is included as a starting point. Our earlier reviews from 2013 have been addressed and as you can see better reviews have come through since then. My advice to you when building (regardless of who you decide to use) is to ensure you always ask questions if unsure and read your paperwork. If you require any more information you can contact me at our office on 8362 7427. Best Regards Janelle.

Michael
Michael

Hi Disey
I was a customer of Dechellis Homes and I can say they build a beautiful display home which is why we built with them.
However I do not recommend you or anyone else do the same. I could write a best selling novel on the continuous dramas of the build and the complete lack of respect they showed us. Now Janelle per your reply, you should never lie to prospective customers, it's bad business.
Disey I have been in our home for 2 years without any WARRANTY repair being even started, believe it or not none of our pre handover faults were even attempted either with Frank(site supervisor) saying it had to be fixed by law. I'm sure 2 years is not an acceptable time frame, maybe you can confirm?
I would love a call from you with regards to my my build, Rick Dechellis has about a 100 emails from us.
Our Job number is DH883, you can find my contact details there.
So to top it off Disey, DO NOT build with Dechellis Homes, I have taken much time speaking to existing customers and ALL have a similar story.
Regards Michael B

Hi Michael B,
Thanks for your feedback. I take it you built with them a couple of years ago from your response. Have you spoken to recent customers of theirs whom have built in the last 12-18 months and come across the same issues? I really like their designs over many others I have looked at but am being put off by the bad feedback - in saying that most of the bad feedback appears to be from a couple of years ago and I have read some other very positive feedback - do you think that it is down to the project manager perhaps? Any further information would be gratefully received.
Cheers
Dianne

Antonio

Antonioasked

Looking at knocking down and rebuilding including landscaping the block. Have read a few reviews and spoken to some good salespeople and shockers. Would appreciate any positive reviews or recommendations Antonio

INQ001

Hi Antonio, In my case I built on a vacant block, all I can say if the cost to renovate the existing premises is expensive then if you are able to a knock and rebuilt that would be a better option unless the existing premises is of significant character it is worth restoring. The benefit you will have with a new home is initial maintenance will be none at least initially. Also depending on the builder you choose you can customise your new home to exactly the way you want it. You can also landscape the property to the way it will compliment your new home. I hope this information will help you decide which way you want to go. As mentioned in my review always get an independent building inspector to go over your new build plan before you sign on the dotted line.

juliereganasked

We are thinking of building with dechellis homes? what do we need to look out for?

Mike B
Mike B

I found them to be an excellent builder throughout the whole process. Luckily I was allocated their most experienced building supervisor, Frank, and he was brilliant and totally reliable. I'd recommend that you ask for Frank to supervise your own job, if he is available. Also, make sure you go to your final selections meeting knowing exactly what you want; this saves a lot of time and you won't have to make any on-the-spot decisions.

julieregan

Thank thats very helpful. where did you build your house in adelaide or country area? We have been quoted $4000 for travel costs. I guess some of the comments on here you cant be concerned with as everyone has a different opinion about any builder.

INQ001

As we are not familiar with all of the building codes, regulations etc., and also some of the traps I would recommend seeking a licensed building inspector go over your plans before you sign the contract. They can give some suggestions too. Also have them review each stage of your building project and have then sign off each stage before you make your progressive building payment. The cost in having them on board on your building is a small outlay in the whole scheme of things. Our experience with the bricklayers workmanship was very poor their supervisor should have replaced them right from the beginning unfortunately that did not happen apart from that they were good and very helpful make sure you know what you getting when you the specifications by checking their suppliers... Enjoy your building project!

Bent Nail

Bent Nailasked

Did you hires a building inspector to check on Dechillis?

Hello Bent Nail,
You have raised 3 questions I will answer 2 questions here and the other in another response. Each building experience will encounter different defects, I outlined the main defects in my review, if you build with this builder or another you will probably face other defects. Each building project will have its own issues, I feel no two are identical. I have mentioned in my review I did have a building inspector to check each stage of the building process. As I am no builder, I entrust the building inspector to inform me of any defects he discovers and raise that with the builder for remedial action.

Bent Nail

Bent Nailasked

Did you check if the tradesperson had the correct licence to build ?

Bent Nail,
You also asked "Did I check if the tradesman are licensed?" I see this as the sole responsibility of the builder, that is what I pay him to do, they are supposed to ensure they hire qualified trades-persons throughout the building process. That is why it will cost more to have a builder as they do all that organizing in behalf of you. On the other hand if you are an owner builder then you would need to ensure you have qualified licensed trades-persons on site.

Wet feetasked

What gives a member of your staff the right to verbally attack a person when challenged for walking on plants in our street garden? I have previously requested this person not to do this - so today he told my husband that "he needs to get out more" and implied that he needs to be careful - of what??????
Certainly not a good ambassador for your company! And maybe one day you could finally comply with the Building regulations and stop stormwater from your rental property flooding our footings - you've had over 4 years!

Wet feet

Still waiting for an answer - and our property is still being flooded - maybe connecting a down pipe to stop water pouring all over the ground would be a start?????
How hard can it be?...