Defence Health Health Insurance

• 1-2 weeks (2)
  • 2-4 weeks (1)
  • 1-2 months (8)
  • 3+ months (5)
Claim ApprovedYes (10) · No (10)
See the Best Health Insurance in 2024 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Reset
Shellj
Shellj2 posts

Awful recent experiences

I've been a member for 14 years and since the upgrade I can't even get a basic claim paid without a phone call, emails go unreplied to. I find it hard to believe there isn't an investigation into defence health's operations now. Show details
Shane T.
Shane T.QLDCentral Queensland, QLD3 posts

Never again

Only found out that I wasn't covered when I went to make a claim on glasses, Jul 18 23 was the last premium taken through direct debit, took over 3 months and many phone calls, over 24 hours on phone in total, only to not get the problem sorted. Restarted cover in Nov 23 after getting assurance that I wouldn't be disadvantaged, lies. Had to go through waiting period again. Have gone to Westfund now, no issues so far. Won't be back. Big on promises absolutely dismal on honouring said promises. Wish I could give a negative rating Show details
Rod H
Rod HNSWMurrumbidgee Region, NSW5 posts

Defence Health looking good

Member for twenty years. Defence Health have always been a great health insurance provider up until last year. I recognise and was part of the issues outlined in the previous comments. System update failure, no communication with members and Hicaps not working. I started to think that Defence Health was insolvent. I was looking at other health funds.

After hospitalisation in November and December last year and associated out of pocket charges the accounts have been paid by Defence Health. Today I had Physiotherapy and Hicaps worked.

Yes abysmal performance by Defence Health. But I think they have got their act together. Show details

Dr Helen
Dr Helen2 posts

Call Centre service - in Policy

After months of terrible services, finally I have got good responses from the call centre. Just want to thank someone in particular for his good service this morning. His name is Sid and he provided great advice on my policies. He really knows his stuff and pleasant to speak to.

Unfortunately, the Member Portal is still pool and useless. There is either missing data or wrong information and claim history in there. The company shall hire a better IT company to update Defence Health. The reputation of the company has been badly damaged.

I thought the company was bankrupted when I couldn't get through the service for months. Show details

Warren
WarrenNSWHunter Region, NSW

Hopeless

Hi, tried to claim for a simple extras claim, the fantastic new portal wouldn't recognise accredited supplier, that we have used for 2yrs, rang, and after 40mins on.hold spoke to a lady that couldn't answer problem, told me to email documents thru and claim would be paid in 4-,6 weeks, I told her that would be next year, didnt understand, check portal today, claim does not even appear there, so much for a better system.

Yes they are still taking monies out, oh that system works perfectly, just no support, think.the old ceo, that left, knew things were bad and got out.

Been with defence health many years, but about to switch, Show details

MSB
MSBNSWHunter Region, NSW2 posts
kaths
kathsQLDSouth East Queensland, QLD2 posts

BGJ
BGJQLDSouth East Queensland, QLD4 posts

Switched to another Health Insurance provider

Sadly, after many years with Defence Health, I have changed my Health Cover to another provider. The Health Insurance Ombudsman's Office assisted me with addressing an overcharging payment, and then the delay in them providing me with the 'Transfer Certificate' to allow me to transfer. Defence Health were not contactable for many weeks. What a disgraceful mess they have created for loyal & long term members. Show details
Chris
ChrisVICGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC2 posts

Going Elsewhere

I have been with Defence Health for many years however since IT upgrade matters have gone from bad to worse!
I have many complaints however the issue that has broken the "camels back" is the in hospital pathalogy which remains unpaid. It seems that i will have to pay and seek cover from DH as a claim.
I have lodged a complaint with the Ombudsman and i plan to take my business elsewhere! Show details
Warren
WarrenNSWHunter Region, NSW12 posts

Pathetic,

Hi have tried on about six occasions to call, on hold for up to an hour, claims not paid yet from a month ago, they don't follow thru after requesting a second card on my account for daughter, keep blaming the system upgrade, throw out the portal, go back to pen and paper, it worked for Adam and eve, stupid system, so much for support of ex defence members. Show details
Richard B.
Richard B.2 posts

Member website debacle

Since July 2023 and the "system upgrade" it has been impossible to have a claim paid, speak to anyone (gave up after 1 hour on numerous tries), or make any change online. I was prepared to give them a few months to sort this out. However it is now October and I don't see any improvement. I suspect there are serious IT issues here if they cannot fix the member portal so it works!
I feel for staff trying their best in very difficult circumstances. The CEO should communicate without the usual spin and set out a timeline and provide transparency of when each issue will be fixed. e.g. when will I be able to update my own details which is a very basic function and one I would have thought a priority to reduce call volumes. Show details
Jeff
Jeff6 posts

Claims

I’ve been with defence health for just on 30 years and NEVER had any issues or problems at all UNTIL this new computer system went in that doesn’t actually work, it’s gone from a fantastic healthcare fund to a totally horrendous healthcare fund, they just don’t pay your refunds, all of my last few have NOT been paid ? Why ? I’m in top cover for everything including extras and still they won’t pay, it’s takes upwards of 45 days for your claim to be processed because if this new WORLD leading computer software , seriously STOP treating your customers like fools - fix your problems and put manager in place who know what they are doing or we are all gone to suffer terribly because you won’t have any customers left. Show details
James P