DeLonghi Icona / Icona Vintage Kettle

DeLonghi Icona / Icona Vintage Kettle

KBO2001 and Vintage KBOV2001

Faulty. The worst customer service. Zero stars.

We usually love De Longhi products. Have always bought them with no issues. Until we bought the de longhi black icona kettle.

From day one it has been a hazard: splatters everywhere! Once the water has boiled. We’ve burned our hands, our two year old and made a mess after every pour.

I went to return the kettle, within warranty time, at the Harvey Norman it was purchased at however, even with proof of our purchase they did not return or replace our product because they couldn’t see the fault we took video evidence of.

We have also tried to contact the ‘customer service’ and complaints for de longhi with zero resolution. The woman we spoke to on the phone was incredible rude and defensive. The behaviour was unbelievable.

Our next step is going through consumer affairs out of principle.

We will never buy de longhi products again because this entire replacement process has been one huge stress and headache.

Purchased in April 2018 at Harvey Norman for $89.00.

Noise Level

Thought I was buying a high end kettle, it stopped working

I purchased the Delonghi matching kettle and toaster as I thought they would look good in my new kitchen, they were expensive and very modern in design - the truth is that they work exactly the same as any ordinary kettle and toaster but they "did look good". I've had them for just over two years and the kettle on/off button has stopped working, I really expected a lot better than this, I've just found my very basic kettle as I really felt like a cup of tea and voila, the very daggy, basic kettle works just fine. In my very humble opinion - the Delonghi kettle looks nice but doesnt work anymore - it cost me more than $100, my $12 kettle which is much older, it's no where near as pretty but it still boils water, I have my cup of tea, my $100 would have been better spent on something else. I have nothing kind to say about my Delonghi kettle except Oh, it looks nice!

Purchased in October 2016.

Noise Level

Expensive kettle and water gauge is next to useless

When filling kettle the gauge is almost useless - a simple bead floating on the water would solve the problem
When the kettle is on the bench it is almost impossible to tell if it has sufficient water to turn it on

Purchased in April 2019 at TheGood Guys Frankston for $89.00.

Noise Level

Not a safe product. Outer shell gets very hot.

Outside gets very hot despite doble “insulared” shells! Cannot clearly see level of water. I got burnt touching the outer shell. We bought matching RED toaster.
Look good but that’s all about

Purchased in January 2017.

Pretty but rusting from 6 months on

The kettle spout rusted at its base and the brown peeled around the lid from 6 months onwards. I have continued to use it (18 months) and it leaks water everywhere when I fill a pot. Also there is often a significant pool of water at the base following boiling. Need to chuck it as it’s unsafe. Will go back to trusty Russell Hobbs - in my experience their kettles lasted 5+ years. I change the filter, descale etc so it’s not misuse/abuse just poor design and workmanship.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Bad Buy

Very heavy even when empty
very noisy
almost impossible to see water leveler which is hidden behind the handle; cannot understand the logic behind it if there is any
lid gets hot and must be careful when pulling it off
Would not recommend it to anyone and specially not elderly people
The more expensive model does not seem any better
Checking with retailer if I can return it

Date PurchasedOct 2018

Water level indicator is opaque

Having unboxed the kettle from Goodguys, and topped up water for first time , the plastic water level tube is opaque and my elderly parents want to know idiot would make it like that. :)

Fair comment from people who have seen a few kettles come and go over 85 years. I think this one is going to go because of that annoying issue...

Date PurchasedOct 2018

11 years of loyal service

we have had the Delonghi Icona in red for 10+ years and it has been faultless - it's a handsome looking kettle and often visitors often make enquiries - we always recommend it highly and advise that they can buy with confidence. We're are purchasing exactly the same model now

Date PurchasedJan 2007

I can’t get in touch with the company?

Not happy, product just over 12 months old - expensive. Obviously high price does not equal quality. The on and off switch does not work. Tried to call someone- no contact numbers - all on line. All I want is a replacement or a person to talk to but it seems no one will take responsibility for an item that is clearly faulty.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Love my kettle

I love my kettle as it looks Amazing in my kitchen with my matching toaster. I use my kettle everyday to make tea, my children lunches for school it is very easy to use. I recommend everyone to buy this kettle if you love the vintage look! I picked a black colour one to match my kitchen theme.
Thanks Delonghi,
Shirley Marjanovic

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Looks great Works Great little noisy

I love the look with our red toaster.
Had no problem with it had it few years.
It is little noisy sometimes have turn tv up so my son can hear it whilst I use kettle.
It is good if you dont mind a little noisy upon boiling the water.
Do buy it if you dont mind this.

Date PurchasedJan 2015

Not happy

I purchased both Icona Vintage kettle and toaster on 15/12/14 from JB HI FI. I'm very disappointed with the kettle as the paint is now peeling off it. I paid $118 for the kettle and $147 for the toaster. The kettle sits on my bench top and now because of it's appearance it now sits in the cupboard. I do find it very loud as well when boiling. The toaster so far is good.

Date PurchasedDec 2014

Terrible Kettle

I bought this kettle based on its looks but have been really disappointed with its performance. My main concern is how hot the exterior gets, especially the lid. You can not touch the lid for a long time after boiling water. If you need to add water to boil again (unexpectedly need to boil water again so soon) the lid will still be scalding hot.
Staff at Harvey Norman talked me into buying it and conned me with the price, saying I would never find it cheaper anywhere else - guess what, that's because they have it manufactured with a different button so customers can never find the EXACT kettle anywhere else. I won't buy any more Delonghi products and won't ever walk into Harvey Norman again!!

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Manufacture Date wanted

The kettle no longer boils water properly & will not boil again for sometime until after it cools down. Can anyone tell me when it was manufactured as I was told I purchased it in 2013 which I feel is not correct. I did purchase extra warranty however this was after another brand of kettle started to leak and was returned to supplier.

Date PurchasedDec 2013

No issues.

I was hesitant to buy this kettle when I originally saw it because of the price tag. I love the look of it and couldn't resist. This kettle has never failed, I have had no problems, no switches have broke and have had it for years. I really like it.

Date PurchasedDec 2015

waste of money

4 days after use switch broke and had to turn it on and off at the power point
1 week later it started to leak water
purchased it with fly buy points and seemed to difficult to get a refund so i threw it in the bin
for a kettle at this price a lot more is expected , went back to using out $6.99 kettle which had been going for 5 yrs now

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Element burned out after 18 months

The element in the kettle burnt out after 18 months of light use, being turned on a couple of times a day. Delonghi don't care either, hard to recommend a product when the company that makes them don't stand behind their product. Go buy a sunbeam instead still working after 8 years and cost a whole lot less then this piece of junk.

December 21st 2017 Update: Element died after 14 months of use

Used a couple of times a day, the kettle only lasted for 14 months before the element went in it. For a kettle that costs $100 the quality of the kettle was questionable. The retailer I bought it from no longer exists and DeLonghi weren't interested in it. Have replaced with a similarly priced sunbeam kettle, hopefully this one lasts a but longer.

Date PurchasedNov 2015

Delonghi Icona Toaster

Bought this toaster 13 months ago and it is now cutting the power in the whole house. Contacted Delonghi and they refuse to repair or replace. Worst customer service ever. Avoid purchasing Delonghi products as they are overpriced rubbish. A $15 toaster from Kmart will last longer. Avoid Avoid Avoid

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Love the colour and the vintage style.

Got this kettle via Qantas redemption to replace our aging breville kettle.
Love the red colour and the vintage style that seems to be trendy nowadays.
kettle does the job, decent boiling speed. A bit louder when boiling compared to our previous breville.
only negative after using our breville is that the lid needs to be pulled off completely as compared to the 'modern' designs that flips the lip back, not really Delonghi's fault but i guess its the styling.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Colour faded

I purchased both the Vintage Icona Kettle and Toaster. After 6 months of moderate use, (1 adult and 1 teenager) the kettle started to fade its Colour (blue). The toaster hasn't faded at all. As they sit on the bench side by side, it is very noticeable. The kettle works perfectly with no rust or scale build up, however am pretty disappointed as I paid a lot for it.

Date PurchasedJul 2015

Why did my kettle just stop working, it's 18 months old. Is it old age
Mine worked for nearly 9 years without issue and now dead. it should work longer than 18 months, could be faulty or some parts DOA.

Is the kettle noisy? I currently have a Bosch kettle and it's really noisy any advise?
My Delonghi kettle is not noisy and the bottom part doesn’t get hot only towards the spout as I have to be careful of my special needs children as they like to try and touch hot things. Try the Delonghi as I have in my photo. Good luck

When boiling water, will the outside of the kettle become hot?
Hi, no the bottom of the kettle doesn’t get hot at all. Just the top around the spout gets hot as this is why I got this kettle as my special needs son is autistic and wants to touch items if he thinks it’s hot! So when he touches the kettle it doesn’t burn him as I had to install a induction top stove I will be doing a review on soon. I hope this helps you. Thanks and good luck as Shirley stated only the top around the spout gets hot. if you have curious little ones like we had, keep the kettle away from the edge of the bench to stop temptation to feel/touch

Icona KBO2001Icona Vintage KBOV2001