Dermcare-Vet Malaseb Medicated Shampoo

Dermcare-Vet Malaseb Medicated Shampoo Questions & Answers (page 2 of 2)

Brand Manager for Dermcare-Vet? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

32 questions from our users

Lori Haskett
Lori Haskettasked

Will Malaseb shampoo affect topical flea products?

Jillian Walker

Yes it can so it would be better to apply the dermcare first then the flea product making sure you thoroughly dry the animal before using flea treatment and every 3 to 2 weeks depending on the flea infestation of the animal.

Jazasked

Has anyone used coconut oil with this product to help sooth?

My dogs layers of scaly skin has fallen off and she looks really pink and raw

anna 2016

It sounds like she has had a severe allergic reaction to whatever you have used. She needs to go to the vet immediately, it would be like a burn. The only thing i wash my dogs in now is bath oil, yes the one you get from the chemist. Fill the trough up and pour some of it into the water, you don't need to rinse it off, but be sure not to get it inot their eyes. She must be suffering something terrible, i beg you please get her to a vet.

Jaz

She has/had a fungal infection on her skin, the skin was already very flaky and scaly and almost grey, that is the skin that came away with the treatment shampoo. I originally though she had alopecia x I still some what believe this due to the area affected being completely contained to the area on her rump she was shaved for surgery and she is a Pomeranian.

The next morning the skin was much much less red and sore looking and she was not appearing to be in any pain on the night it looked raw or agitated by it at all and back to normal pink/white colour although I did rub in some coconut oil into the area from the wash the night before the next morning

I has almost cleared up the condition and the severity of the scaly flaky grey skin is dramatically reduced... but she id due for another wash with it tonight.

Cazeroon
Cazeroonasked

I have used Malaseb 2 times in 1 week and he now has little spots of missing hair and extremely red skin on his back. I used this because he obviously has allergy or dermatitis of some sort. He scratches and has hot spots.
Is there anything that is gentler?

Margaret

I think you need to take your pet to the vet, especially if he has "hot" spots, as heat indicates infection.

beckelljess

Yes! Malaseb caused extreme issues for our girl. Try PAW by blackmores Mediderm shampoo for when the skin is flared up and follow with nutriderm conditioner. When the skin is ok use the nutriderm shampoo with the nutriderm conditioner. This is the only shampoo on the market that does not upset our labs skin.

As for hot spots, shave the immediate area around them and use betadine. Betadine will not leave scaring and therefore will not effect the tegrowth of the hair.

Jillian Walker

You can clip around the infected area which is good to keep it clean and so which the air can get to the infected area.Wash with warm water and salt or get some product from your vet to really clean the area also wearing gloves to when cleaning just helps so your not spreading or contaminating the area which you can buy from your local Veterinary Clinic. Also using real manuka honey can help form a barrier hope that helps if not virst you're local Veterinary Clinic

Jill
Jillasked

Have any of your dogs came out in a rash after using this product?

beckelljess

yes every time! try PAW mediderm or nutriderm.

Margaret

No, mine haven't, but I suppose you could try an allergy test - on a small section. This did wonders for my little girl - she was so itchy she was biting holes in herself - now she is all better. I only had to use it twice. The first time was 80-90% better, by the second time couldn't even notice her skin problem and now her bite wounds have healed. I have sensitive skin and psoriasis and didn't even use gloves and it didn't affect me either.

Mack
Mackasked

I used this on my cat as recommended, my cat escaped during washing her with the shampoo, when I finally caught her (she went into the roof, walls of our home we are renovating) about 5mins later I quickly washed her off and droid her thoroughly- she now makes a funny noise when breathing is not eating and drools from her mouth... Not drinking.
I can't get her to a vet until tomorrow, does anybody know what I can do?
I have given her water with a syringe and she hates it but throws up froth afterwards.

Sarzie Mac

Sounds pretty awful. Maybe the cat is just really stressed and sometimes they froth at the mouth when combined with the water you are giving her. If you cannot get to a vet today maybe a dark quiet room might calm her. I wouldn't worry about giving her water. I should state I'm not a vet nor do I have any professional experience. Good luck!

Beaky

Hi Mack, although I see that Malaseb for a Cat was recommended by 'reviewer' Sarzie Mac, I did not recommend Malaseb for Cats as our Kitten was put on Tablets for his ringworm. I only used Malaseb under Vet's instructions on our Dog and then found when my Husband and myself got Ringworm, that it was better than any of the usual Chemist remedies for dealing with ringworm on our bodies. Because treating Cats and Dogs can be very different and dangerous, it is imperative that Labels/Instructions be read carefully and followed before use. I have commented elsewhere on 'Review' that you should always work in conjunction with your Veterinary Providers if you have any problems with your Pets, because self-treating can be disastrous to your Pet's well-being. Gael

Sarzie Mac

Just to clarify both my review and any answers I have provided...this treatment was recommended and sold to me by our very professional vet for use on my cat with a skin allergy. It worked very well for my cat used in conjunction with both the usage instructions and the vet's advise. However, as I always am quick to point out to people, when it comes to their pets the first thing you should do is to consult a vet, the same way you would consult a doctor if it was happening to you.

tania
taniaasked

i have a dog with skinky feet and it smells like bad foot odour a friends dog has the same smell all over him with bauld patches and lots of bumpy raised lumps both dogs stink the room out will this shampoo help?

Beaky

Hi Tania - yes, I'm certain it could help although I'm sure your Vet would be able to sort it out - "At a cost of course"!!!! I have a Maltese X Shih Tzu who suffers with Grass Allergies which causes problems with his feet and if I don't dry between his toes properly, after the beach or bathing him, he gets red in between his pads and constantly licks although he never stinks. What I've been doing when he gets red between his toes etc. is about 3 times a week I add some Malaseb (I guess the amount) to enough warm water to cover his feet and let him stand in it for several minutes, rubbing all areas of his feet and between his pads etc. then make sure when you've finished to dry the area thoroughly afterwards. Of course always make sure to wash your Dog's bedding regularly otherwise the smells will remain. I'm not sure about the bald or bumpy bits they may be another matter but there's another thing which can help with problem areas and for my Dog I always use a Product called Dermcare Aloveen Oatmeal Shampoo and Conditioner and the Conditioner can be applied to red/sore areas between the pads, making sure to rub it in and do not wash it off. This was advice given to me by my own Vet. As I am not a Professional, if there's anything really worrying on your Pets you should see your Veterinary Surgeon because bumps, skin allergies etc. could be due to something else. I do know that a Dog's fur/skin can get smelly if they are washed too often as they end up with a skin condition which does make them smell so, again if you're really concerned see your Vet won't you as I can only tell you what I do for my Dog and a lot of things are and can be caused by other things. With my Dog's Grass Allergies, following our Vet's advice in conjunction with the local Chemist to make certain the same ingredients are in the Products, we now put him on a particular Brand of Anti-Histamines as soon as I see there are Allergy type symptoms eg: red angry areas between his toes, on his feet and his underbelly, anywhere where grasses may have made contact. As a last resort I was considering getting Dog Shoes so that he can walk on the Grass without the constant worry. I hope some of this helps and I know Vets are expensive but if you do have any real concerns your Vet will be able to help you. I hope this helps. Gael

Sarzie Mac

The standard that I use is: if it's something you'd see a doctor about if it was on your body, see a vet if it's on your pet. As good as this shampoo is, I'd still seek professional advise when it comes to raised lumps and bald patches.

beckelljess

Do mot use Malaseb.. we had a similar issue caused by the artifical fragrance in the aloveen.

PAW Mediderm is mich nicer and needs half the contact time and no gloves needed. The relief is instant!!

candi wallen.
candi wallen.asked

I adopted a staffy and he has been scratching non stop. He has little bumps under his fur. I checked his vet documents and he had canine foliculitis. It would seem it has come back. Can this shampoo be used for this?

K.O.
K.O.

My dog has a yeast infection of the skin which is often accompanied by a distinct odor and this shampoo has worked well. However, I must say that this diagnosis seems more generalized (though I am not a professional) and may just be something treatable by using organic ape cider vinegar or pure tea tree oil. I hope this helps and good luck.

knickerz
knickerz

I would recommend seeing a vet. My product review was based on my experience with my cat and his problems. Every skin condition can be unique. I wouldn't want you to do further damage without seeking professional advice.

Sarzie Mac

Does the paperwork from his past vet visit state what treatment was given at that time? I'd also recommend you see a vet as he must be really uncomfortable with this problem and it could be something he needs medication to get over.

jilljill1asked

We live in a tick infested area where they can kill our dog if bitten. I use advantix fortnightly. Will using Malaseb shampoo strip the tick treatment?
Jill

Sarzie Mac

Hi, as I don't live in a tick area I really never had this problem. Probably best to ask your vet, or the makers of either of the products for a professional opinion. Usually the advise that comes with spot on flea/tick applications is that you shouldn't shampoo your pet in the next 24 hours or it will wash it off, so I would wait a day before using the shampoo. But that's just my personal opinion with no qualifications or training to back it up!

Thanks for your answer Jill

Elzbietka
Elzbietkaasked

Can Malaseb shampoo be safely used 18 months after expiry date?

Sarzie Mac

Hi, I certainly do not have any qualifications to answer this question, but I would be very hesitant to use it that long out of date. The active ingredients probably no longer work anyway but I would be concerned about what it might do to my pet's skin. I'd buy a new one to be on the safe side for your pet.

pauline leatham
pauline leathamasked

Please is this product safe? I have a lab and I am at my wits end.All the time 24/7 our beautiful dog is scratching and licking all the time.I have purchased this product and I am worried that I am doing the wrong thing I have tried almost everything and I don't want needles again as the antibiodics gave her this,I'm sure it's a yeast infection as she smells terrible I also put her on Inner Health Plus it's helped the odour.Please get back to me about Malaseb

Louise
Louise

Hi Paulene, yes the product is safe for dogs just not for cats. Make sure u rub it into your dogs feet and around its toes.. Also maybe it's ears need to be cleaned with special dog ear cleaner.. After the 10 minutes of leaving the shampoo on make sure you rinse it all off :)

Joan Buckingham

Hi Pauline it might be a good idea to go to another Vet as this condition can be life threatening, antibiotics are only used for secondary infections but you will have to try to clear up the skin problem first it sounds like a form of mange,a flea allergy or a hot spot got our of control which can happen in only a couple of days.
Try also going onto Med Help in the pet section in the dog forum on there is great also vets are sometimes online as well.
Also try the dog sites I belong to the Golden Retriever Dog Forums and members are from all over the world are on this site would have a Lab section as well.
This condition can be agony for her poor darling I really hope you can help her ...good luck I wish I could find out how you go.
Also use Google to help.

vicki hamilton
vicki hamiltonasked

Can i use this malaseb on rabbit and guinea pig the vet give it to me?

Joan Buckingham

Hi Vicki 'yes you can but make sure you don't go near their eyes,it is very good for cleaning the ear's as well.
Hope your guinea pigs purr' not chatter.

Sue18asked

Is this the same as the stuff you can get from the vet? I have used the vet one on my guinea pigs without any problems, but wanted to get this one.

glitter
glitter

Yes i think the vets do sell it. Also found at leading pet shops. I buy mine from Vetnpetdirect.com.au (vet-n-pet direct)

Sue18

Sorry, I forgot to mention I am in the UK, do you know where I can get it from over here without a prescription? At the vets it is very expensive.
Ta