Dermcare-Vet Malaseb Medicated Shampoo

Dermcare-Vet Malaseb Medicated Shampoo

Pros

• Can relieve dry, itchy skin

• Smells nice and fresh

• Leaves coat feeling soft

anna 2016

anna 2016Perth, WA

Not 10 minutes

My maltese x had licked the fur of the top of her foot. It looked red and angry. A daily 1 :10 malaseb soak for 2 minutes and it was back to normal in 2 months. Following the soaks the feet should be rinsed with a small amount of bath oil in warm water as malaseb can make the skin dry. Best done at the end of the day as often an allergy to the grass.

Purchased in December 2020 at my local vet for $48.00.

Rod

RodMid West, WA

Bad reaction

Purchased in November 2020 for $25.00.

Dena F.Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Love/Hate Malaseb

I've been recommended Malaseb by vets, but I found it drying. Then my vet said to use for one of my dog's allergy rash and dilute it 1:10 for cleaning ears. I reread the instructions and realised I was using far too much as shampoo. For the past few weeks I've used the amount on the bottle, and QV bath oil afterwards. It has helped both my dog's itching. Just don't pour heaps straight out of the bottle on to your pet, like I used to.

Purchased in April 2020 at PetStock for $29.00.

Pet Medications

Find out how Dermcare-Vet Malaseb Medicated Shampoo compares to other Pet Medications

Awful shampoo

Left my cat with a respiratory infection & skin blisters all over him gone in the bin absolutely terrible stuff will stick to Johnson baby bath in the future expensive stuff too get refused refund

Purchased at Vet Net Supplies for $36.00.

Devil

Devil

Horrible product

This shampoo smells disgusting, dries out coat & skin which is not surprising considering ingredients. I tried this on various dogs over many years & had no improvement at all. Have found several natural products not filled with toxic chemicals that do a far better job although since I started feeding my 3 dogs only fresh fruit, vegetables & free range chicken with no processed food at all they have never had any skin problems.

Kevin Blaney

Kevin BlaneyGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

I use this product in my grooming salon.

I’m a groomer & I swear by malaseb. I encourage any of my clients who have fur babies with skin conditions to try it. I have never had any say it didn’t work. I strongly recommend you follow the instructions to the letter, such as letting your fur baby “soak” for a full ten minutes. If you don’t you will not get the full benefits. I hope others have the success I have seen with this product.

Cassandra Smith

Cassandra SmithBrisbane

Great Product

Fantastic product recommend by our vet for skin allergies. We found out during renovations our Scott terrier was allergic to plaster dust. shampooing once a week helped with the problem

Aussieladee

AussieladeeAU

Dangerous!

I used Malaseb on my dog because it is supposed to be safe for dogs with skin problems but some got into his eye & it very quickly caused a chemical burn on the eye. His vet has been treating it for nearly 3 weeks now & we had to see an ophthalmologist because it caused so much damage, there is still a chance my dog will lose his eye so I will never use this again. There are many other products available that contain natural & safe ingredients that would be safer than this toxic shampoo.

Poison

After using malaseb for years on my cavvies...my latest cav pup..1yr old..licked shampoo vomited for hours..now has a liver toxicity problem won't eat and came close to passing away.. It's a very severe reaction but really not worth the risk.. Poured malaseb down sink. Would not ever recommend to anyone. Dog groomer of 25 years.

melaseb

My dog was allergic to this product and made this skin flaking and itchiness worse. I rang a specialist skin
vet who told me that they recommend this shampoo to be diluted 1 to 10 parts water. i tried this poured over him
lathered it up and then rinsed it off within 2-3 minutes. It now has helped him. No one else recommended this shampoo to be diluted.

Mitch

Mitch

Dog developed severe eye ulcer

I will never use this product again. Be VERY careful. After following the directions, my dog developed a severe eye ulcer that required regular medication, multiple visits to the vet and $500. Never again!

Jill

JillSydney

Adverse reactions

I used this on my puppy and he came out in lumps and bumps under his fur. On his head only. Has anyone else had a reaction to this shampoo

beckelljess

beckelljessAU

Awful

Well, after aloveen broke our girl out in horrible dermatatis and my hands in blisters we were tol by a pet ahop this would clear it up...

Let me start by saying.. it says to wear gloves .. now if I have to wear gloves and not get it on my skin I was apprehensive about using this all over my poor girls body.. and rightfully so..

This just made the issue worse..

If you need a medicated shampoo use PAW Mediderm with Nutriderm Conditioner.. A much kinder product for both pooch and human alike!

Sarzie Mac

Sarzie MacSydney

Worked well on cat with unknown skin condition

I had a cat with a skin condition we could never discover the cause of. Lathering him in this, holding him in a towel for the 10 minutes and then rinsing off and applying a conditioner helped him out but did not cure him of the problem.
I have since acquired a rescue dog with terrible "hot spots" all over her body, but this shampoo did not work on her at all. I suggest it be used in combination with diet changes if possible as my dog benefited from only eating boiled chicken/turkey and certain vegetables such as carrot/pumpkin. If you have a dog with these symptoms (red rash, hot to the touch, fur either falling out or being bitten off) please take them off processed dog foods and try a different diet as well as the bathing.

Reamus

ReamusLara

Pet skin allergies gone

My 2 toy poodles have seasonal allergies and it was recomended I try Malaseb. I needed to give them a couple of baths before they stopped their scratching, with regular use they no longer scratch. The only drawback is having to leave the shampoo on them for 10 minutes, and preventing them from licking themselves.( I wrap them up in a towel).
It works
Having to leave it on for 10 minutes

Dangerous

I was told to use this by my local vet, the label failed to mention it shouldn't be used on the head and some of it went into my pet's nose and has now cause respiratory problems. Since this is a shampoo that's used on pets who are very unlikely to sit there quietly while you wash them, one would think the product would be created to cause the least amount of harm to this if something was ingested by accident. I ended up throwing away the bottle and will never put anything this strong on my pet, it's appalling to think that a product this dangerous is allowed on the market. One must wonder the long term effects on animals especially since humans have to wear gloves to use this. Stay away from this product!

Very dangerous to use

ChrisRoubis2010

I have never used gloves.

tanyajane

tanyajane

Good

This is a good prodcut and worth the extra expense. I found that a little wen a long way and I did not have to use a lot. My dog seemed to enjoy the prodcut and stayed clean and itch free for quite some time. Overall, a great buy that worth the effort to locate it.
It worked. Although I have a very short haired dog he has dry, scaly and itchy skin which he lickes and makes worse. This worked really well and he smelt great
I found it difficult to get and had to get a pet supply store to special rder it.

ChrisRoubis2010

ebay sells it much cheaper than pet stores

LouiseMELBOURNE

Not good for cats

I used this on my cat and then he was having breathing problems. On the bottle it says it can be used for cats and dogs, however due to cats licking themselves more than dogs, it ends up poisoning them.

I highly recommend to not use this product on a cat/kitten as it cost me a lot of money at the vets and he had to be on tablets for 3 weeks and nearly died.

expensive and poisoned my cat

George28
George28
ChrisRoubis2010

yes you must thoroughly rinse it off

Louise

I'm a vet nurse so yes I did all the rights things. This product should not be used on cats

totaltobie

totaltobie

Good

I work in animal welfare and we reguarly use Malaseb on animal skin problems as per veterinary recommendation. I have seem it work wonders on so many poor neglected animals improving and healing many skin problems which has given great releif to so many animals in our care. I have used Malaseb on my own pets also when they have experienced skin troubles. Great product.
This product works. It treats a large number of skin problems and it works brilliantly. I work in animal welfare and we use this product all the time and it has helped many suffering animals.
Expensive.

kawellington

kawellington

Good

I have used this on both of my dogs. One of which is a show dog. Even though it is not ment to it does whiten the coat while caring for the ubderlying skin conditions. My other dog needs to be washed in either medicated or oatmeal shampoo at least once a week. It removes the redness rom her skin and helps heal any scabs. The downsides for this is that if your pet tends to drink their bathwater (like mine does) another method of bathing is required as there are some poisonous ingredients and it can be far more expensive than medicated shampoo from the pet store or supermarket.
remove redness, available in both large and small bottles
can be expensive, contains poison

See all Dermcare-Vet Malaseb Medicated Shampoo reviews

Jenell Mcmeekin

Jenell Mcmeekinasked

Can an unopened btle.of malaseb with an expiry date 01/18 be used?

Dena F.

I would bin it. I once tried a past-use-by medicated shampoo for humans on myself and it caused a bad rash on my scalp and I had to take steroids for three months. Not worth the $15 to buy a new bottle. Remember vets don't have Medicare.

S K.

S K.asked

Is it ok to use Malaseb after expiration date?

Heather

Heatherasked

Our dog was diagnosed to have skin fungus and was recommended to use this product every day for 2 weeks. It looks to have reduced the itching but her skin is blackening where the soap has been applied. Has anyone had this experience? Will her skin return to normal?

Dena F.

I would ring the vet if you haven't already. It could be an unrelated skin infection. Other than that, did you wash off the Malaseb after ten minutes? Once your vet has ruled out other issues, the darkening might be a side effect of leaving the shampoo on all day, which the product says not to do.

See all Dermcare-Vet Malaseb Medicated Shampoo questions

Features:

• The Dermcare-Vet Malaseb Medicated Shampoo treats Seborrhoeic Dermatitis (a skin infection involving bacteria and yeast) and can help treat Dermatophytosis (ringworm) in pets.
  • It kills microorganisms, helping keep yeast and bacteria growth at manageable levels so that your dog or cat is left itch and flake-free.
  • The shampoo also removes excess scale and oils that can be produced when skin is infected, helping your pet maintain a healthy, glossy coat.
  • The product has the added benefit of removing allergens - such as pollen - from the skin or fur that may be causing irritation.

Points of praise:

• Most reviewers said that the medicated shampoo relieved and softened dry, itchy skin and was good for preventing scratching.
  • Many reviewers appreciated that it was effective in treating a range of skin infections and allergies, such as yeast infections and ringworm.
  • The product smells nice and fresh, according to reviewers.
  • They also said that the shampoo left their pet’s coat feeling soft.

Something to consider

• It’s a leave-in shampoo that needs to be on your pet’s skin and coat for 10 minutes for maximum effectiveness. You must supervise your pet during the 10 minutes to ensure they don’t lick the product.