Cathay Dragon

Cathay Dragon

See the Best International Airlines in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Two sides to every story

Despite a chequered history, I found Dragonair HK, also known as Cathay Dragon to be a very good airline, probably still finding it's feet. I flew twice, Sydney to Hanoi return. Both trips included Hong Kong to Hanoi leg operated by Dragonair. Both flights were delayed due to technical/safety/maintenance issues, (the outbound was actually cancelled, and another plane sought to replace it). These delays (2hrs extra outbound, and 1hr extra inbound), resulted in a very late check in at my Hanoi hotel, and, on the return, having only 30 min to reach my connecting flight to Sydney......run to catch an airport bus, run to the train to the other end of the airport, then run again from Gate 40 to Gate 50, where half a dozen Cathay staff were waiting for me and my party. We were the very last to board CX101.....my party are all seniors.....It was the most exercise we had all holiday!
It is very heartening to find the Cathay Dragon was willing to delay / or even cancel flights when they find pre-flight checks not in order. This gives a lot of confidence for the airline when you think of it.
The flights themselves were fine. The cabin crews as professional as any other international airline, and the ride smooth and uneventful.
When comparing to other major airlines' budget arm, then Dragonair is one of the better ones, heaps better than Scoot, much better than Air Asia X, and slightly better than Jetstar.
Congrats Cathay, keep up the improvements!

Service must improve

The flight from Phuket to Hong Kong was late on arrival, and on embarking, the Cabin Crew stood around without helping passengers into their seats so that the Flight could leave. The In Flight food service was poor, and the menu was very basic and poor

Good leg room and service.

I was surprised with the amount of leg room these A321 planes had. The seats are uncomfortable when fully up but once in flight you can move them back an inch and it makes it much better. The service is good and the staff very friendly. The food was good, better than I expected. You have to travel via bus, from the terminal, to the plane and then walk on the tarmac, up the stairs to board the plane. Luckily it was not raining as there is no cover, we were also lucky that it was not too hot as you are standing in the sun while waiting to board. I flew with this airline as part of a holiday package but I would not hesitate to book it myself if required.

Excellent for a Budget Airline but avoid Hong Kong Airport if you can

Dragon Air is Cathay Pacific's local budget airline. I flew it regularly between Ha Noi and Hong Kong.
For a budget airline the food and service was absolutely top notch (although I was flying Business Class.)

HK airport should surely win an award as the worst (major) airport in the world, and Dragon Air suffers by being allocated to the ancillary terminal. The Chinese government treats its Billion people like cattle, and it is starting to show in HK.
Great Food and Service in Business Class