Dulux Aquanamel

Dulux Aquanamel (page 2 of 8)

Semi Gloss, Gloss, Low Sheen

2.3

Brian

BrianSouth East Queensland, QLD

Terrible Product

Totally useless if you are painting a door, it shows all paint strokes when you attempt to lay off
It results in a patchy door, I painted the door twice and it was still useless
Dries much to quickly to enable sections to blend
I will never use it again

Purchased in May 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$30.00.

Painted SurfacePreviously painted
Kieran L.

Kieran L.Perth, WA

Disappointed

Very poor finish. Brush strokes and clots visible. Disappointed. I would not use this again.

Purchased in February 2019.

MannyjenSydney, NSW

Awful results with many coats on both oil and water based primers

I used a water based stain blocker (2 coats on wood windows) then coats aquanamel. Finish was terrrinle, bleed through was bad. I sanded right back to bare wood, used an oil based primer (2 coats, looked great) then tried aquanamel. After 4 coats I gave up. Finish very patchy. Used same system on door frames, on the 3rd coat (see images). I. Am going to sand back, use oil based primer and oil based topcoat because the finish is. Much better with just one coat of topcoat. The consistency is flour and water, I think I’d get better coverage if I did use flour and water tbh.
Also layers ripped off when removing masking tap. Chipped v easily.

Purchased in April 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Painted SurfaceWood

Lincoln

LincolnSydney, NSW

Best product

More durable, non yellowing and easier to apply than enamel and flows nicely when appling. I have used both enamel and aquanamel and this product is superior and surpasses the performance of enamel. Thank you Dulux. Used it for over 5 years now wouldnt use anything else.

Purchased in August 2018 for A$81.00.

Painted SurfacePreviously painted and Wood

Hi Lincoln
Great to hear of your experiences with Dulux Aquanamel, if you have more projects in mind, call our Help & Advice team on 13 25 25, (option 2) who will be more than happy to assist you.
Regards, The Dulux Team

Great results using this paint as normal

After having used aqua enamel in the past was surprised to read all the bad ratings.

This paint goes on well, providing you don't play with it too much. I used a 50mm brush with a quality foam roller and no issues. Having said that if you do over roll the paint, I noticed tiny bubbles in finish. Easily removed with light roll with no pressure.

Painted the bathroom in 3 hours - 2 coats as well. First coat dried in 2 hours as stated on tin.
My painting skill is pretty average and this paint made the task easy.

Purchased in March 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$99.00.

Painted SurfacePlasterboard

Hi Brett
Great to hear of your experience with our Dulux Aquanamel Semi Gloss, if you have more projects in mind, please call our Help & Advice team on 13 25 25, who will be more than happy to assist.
Regards
The Dulux Team

Matt G

Matt GNorth-West & West coast, TAS

Extremely thin and doesn’t cover.

I was recommended this paint at my local inspirations paint store and I wish I had looked into it before purchasing. After the first roll it was so thin I thought I hadn’t stirred it enough. Stirred it thoroughly and it made no difference. Three coats later and it’s patchy and still looks like it needs at least another three coats. Now reading the reviews it looks like I might have to cut my losses and go buy a different brand of paint. I’ve always thought dulux put out a great product, but this experience has severely damaged their reputation in my eyes. Absolute waste of time and money, steer clear.

Purchased in March 2019.

Neil

NeilGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Just don’t

Had external windows repainted twice now, paint splits, peels and is thin. In forty years in the building industry I have never had finishes fail on a project. Rep came out to site advised it was poor prep the first time, painter brought back and stripped and sanded back to wood, primed and repainted, now 6 months later cracking and peeling again.
Know need to look for a new product and redo whole job again, paint jobs on my other projects have always lasted 15 years or more..

Purchased in April 2018 for A$2,000.00.

Painted SurfaceWood
Kelly

KellySouth East Queensland, QLD

Never use this paint

This paint is the worst paint I have ever used..my doors look patchy and unfinished despite the correct preparation. I did contact Dulux call centre to advise of the problem however even though they haven't seen the paint they used every excuse as to why it would be patchy..ie painting at the right temperature, using all Dulux products for prep etc...just admit you have produced an inferior product!!

DuluxGroup A.Dulux

Dreadful product.

I recently used Dulux Aquanamel on kitchen cupboards after replacing the mdf doors. I thought it would give a more hard wearing finish than the acrylic I had used on the previously. The paint is peeling of around door handles and also joins in the wood work. Further patchy application on some doors when weather was warmer. Also painted the bathroom ceiling and the paint is peeling off.

henry h.Dulux

Russ

RussPerth, WA

Great paint but prep and application are critical

Rosa

RosaEchuca

Backwards Step Dulux

After highly recommended (from Bunnings) can’t get this product work. Dries to quickly, leaves brush strokes everywhere, hard to work with and totally sucks all round. This is my fifth attempt at using it and just can’t get it to work. A crap option for some minor environmental benefits. Doesn’t save anything environmentally when I have to sand it back and get another brand/type to resolve.

Date PurchasedNov 2017
Garth M.Dulux

Hi Victor Rosa, we understand your frustration. As mentioned in your other review, we would like to help. So if you can call us on 13 25 25, our team will be waiting to help. The Dulux team

Worst paint I have ever used.

I have painted a lot with Dulux paint previously and had great results. But even with proper prep this paint shows all brush marks and peels off. It dries too quickly and balls up. I will stick to oil based in future as it always gives a good result. A very expensive and time consuming disappointment!

Date PurchasedJul 2018

Its pretty awful

Im a high end painter of 13 years. Done ten years in the States and can tell you for me it causes trouble. It self levels too much and drips if it isnt super thin coating. It also dries to quickly causing balling on the finish stroke. I would be horrified to use it if i was a diyer. In my opinion the chemistry of the paint needs to be tweeked. For an ultra premium product it is really average. Sorry dulux up your game.

Date PurchasedJul 2018
Julina

JulinaMount gambier

Followed all instructions, very poor adhesion, big time dissapointed

Recently decided on new carpets. Thought while the old ones are out, I'll paint the skirting boards and doors.
Followed the instructions to a tee - Wash, Sand, wash, and wipe.
Whilst the paint flows ok, and is easy to wash up, a month later, paint is peeling/scraping off with ease.
temperature was 14 degrees C which is only 4 above the minimum temp.

Really wish I had stuck with oil enamel. A known thing, rather then try a new paint type.

It is the worst paint I've ever used.

StephDulux

I love this product but you need to know how to apply it properly.

Can achieve a beautiful finish but it’s definitely different than using oil enamel. You need a good quality brush, a light touch and avoid overworking the paint.
If you can get that right then you can enjoy the benefits of a beautiful finish, non yellowing, quick drying, far less toxic for painter, customer and environment!

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Find out how Dulux Aquanamel compares to other Paints & Varnishes

Worst paint I have ever used

Poor finish. Paint drys to quickly leaving brush marks even in perfect painting conditions. Difficult to use when cutting in. Will go back to using enamel paints even with the clean up hassles. Very expensive and a waste of money. With the years of experience I have I regret listening to advise from bunnings staff on this occasion.

Date PurchasedJun 2018
Leon

LeonSouth East Queensland, QLD

Thought I loved it until it peeled and cracked

I wondered why it had such bad reviews. I thought it was a great product, especially being water based. Within a couple of months the waterproof one stained, cracked and looked awful. That's when I used enamel for the first time and realised how different the products were. Use oil based enamel where appropriate like doors and sills and trims

Date PurchasedJul 2017
Daniel

DanielTrararalgon

Terrible Finish - Gloss Black

I did all the preparation correctly but this paint was a pain to use. The coverage was awful and drying left me with roller marks - even when thinned and laying off correctly. Now I am left with a 'patchy' door which requires sanding. Warning to others! stay clear of this product. " Can only recommend for painting a Dog House."

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Vivid white has very poor coverage

I'm a professional house painter with lots of experience using this product. In general, I'm happy with it, know what it can and can't do.
The big issue for me is the exceptionally poor opacity of the untinted vivid white.

Granted, it's a very bright white, but Dulux need to do something to make it cover better.
Going over varnished, fully sealed cedar, using a coat of Smart Prime, a coat of acrylic One Step and 2 coats of Aquanamel vivid white results in very poor coverage. Even a 3rd top coat may not be sufficient by the looks of it.

Tinted whites work OK, in my experience.

Great Product

Some of the poor reviews are hard to believe. I’m painting my own 5 bedroom house using only Dulux paints and including Aquaenamel on doors, window frames and skirting boards. Results are outstanding and I am very particular in all that I do. So much better than using a messy enamel paint.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Henry M.

Henry M.asked

Aquanamel

Hi there, I've applied this to skirting, doors and window sashes. The paint is translucent in appearance and the second coat still does not give depth to cover. I have used vivid white off the shelf and its like there isn't enough white tint in the mix. I have stirred it twice for extra measure but still no difference.
How can I sort out this problem.
Cheers Harry

Ashley

Sorry have not had this issue so not sure how to sort out your problem. Probably best you give Dulux Tech support a call.

Renee B.Dulux

Hi Henry, Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on our aquanamel paint. We are so sorry to hear that you are having some issues, and we would like to help. Please contact our Help & Advice team on 13 25 25 (Option 2), and quote your ticket number 357390, or you can private message us with your details and we will call you as soon as possible. Our operating hours are Monday to Friday 7:30am to 7:00pm, Saturdays from 8:30am to 3:00pm, and Sundays from 10am to 4pm AEST – The Customer Service Team.

Tibor

Vivid white is the base of all whites there's not much coverage as it's got no tint in it, try something like vic builders white. Aqua enamel itself will be translucent and will need the same color undercoat.

Curiousasked

Aquanamel Semi Gloss

Hi there, what timber putty/sealer would you recommend to use with a Aquanamel paint on timber skirting as I have got bubbles on all the nail holes previously filled, under latex then double coated in aquanamel? I was told Aquanamel draws water out of the sealers?? Any recommendations to ensure no bubbles?

Ashley

When using Aquanemel I prepared the old surface well before using Dulux 1 step pre coat paint before applying the Semi Gloss. Had no problems with the Polyfilla for Doors and Trims product to fill holes etc.

Curious

Thank you - Yes, used total prep prior to 2 coats of aquanamel, but since the application (over 6mths) the putty has been drawn out of the hole to make a bubble... was told if the putty/filla was water based it would do this?? Just thought I might be able to see the names of product recommended for prep with this paint.

Renee B.Dulux

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on our Aquanamel Semi Gloss paint. We are so sorry to hear that you are having some issues, and we would like to help. Please contact our Help & Advice team on 13 25 25 (Option 2), and quote your ticket number 350314, or you can private message us with your details and we will call you as soon as possible. Our operating hours are Monday to Friday 7:30am to 7:00pm, Saturdays from 8:30am to 3:00pm, and Sundays from 10am to 4pm AEST – The Customer Service Team.

Alysha W.

Alysha W.asked

Aquanamel

can you use aquanamel on bathroom and kitchen tiles

Renee B.Dulux

Hi Alysha Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your query, Dulux Aquanamel! We would love to help! Please give our Help & Advice Team a call on 13 25 25 (Option 2), and they will be able to answer all of your questions! – The Customer Service Team.

I wouldn't

Get an answer from our members and Dulux representatives