Dunlop SP Sport 300E

Dunlop SP Sport 300E (page 2 of 2)

Griffo

Griffo

OK

Had these on a VR Commodore (size:205/65/15) for about 5 years. They need replacement now after about 30,000km, whilst on most other tyres on the car I have got about 40,000km for a set. Starting to get a bit scary in the wet, with the tread just about down to replacement level. I would recommend replacement well before you legally need to.
Quiet, good steering response, good ride quality and decent grip in the dry when both new and worn. Good grip in the wet whilst new.
Poor grip in wet as they wear. Not very good mileage.

OK

A dealer dropped to 32 psi & suggested a mould overlap line in tyre that causes a firm spot in tyre. This has dramatically reduced problem. If Aussie tyres made thai way will not purchase again. Should be able to run whatever psi you like without this problem
Well here we are again ! last comment was April. Great Dry & Wet Grip.
Balance / vibration problems at 35psi

pwo128

pwo128NT, 820

I received my first set of SP Sport 300E's as standard fit on a Camry back in 2002. I got nearly 77,000km out of them. I'm a firm believer in frequent tyre rotation and keeping the pressure to around 35PSI. I'm buying these tyres on my current car (Avensis) when it comes up for tyre replacement. Very happy with this tyre.
Great mileage, Good grip, very quiet
Can't think of any

Passenger Tyres

Find out how Dunlop SP Sport 300E compares to other Passenger Tyres

Apollo195

Apollo195

Terrible

Had these fitted to EL Falcon wagon and they wore out in 14000km. The car is the wife's kid taxi and she drives like a granny. Tyres wore evenly and were checked by dealer, but Dunlop wouldn't accept there was a problem. I certainly would never buy these again as they are fairly expensive and when coupled with the lack of mileage, they are very expensive.
good handling when new
very poor milage

buffy1

buffy1

Good

Buy if you can get them approx $20 per tyre cheaper than advertised it is possible. Shop around Good Luck & enjoy
Turned out to be a very good tyre after my initial concerns of tread closness / grooves. Just replaced them & got almost 50,000 km`s out of 1 set. However i do travell at 100km`s hr on country roads at 500km`s per week for work. (see my previous comments)I feel that if fitted to front wheel drive & say stop start city driving & more constant rotation may not last as long but great wet weather grip
Never really could solve a minor vibration problem

Great tyre for general day to day driving, though still pricey. If you're a fan of Dunlop, definitely give these a go. If you're just after a value for money tyre without compromising on safety, noise or comfort; shop around for a full silica tyre from any reputable brand as you're bound to find one a bit cheaper.
Excellent tyre. Bought an EL Falcon with these tyres the drive/back wheels in 2006, sold it 3.5 years later with the same tyres on, 60,000 mainly country kilometres later, still servicable with an easy 10-20,000k's remaining.
Pricey at $130-$150 each depending on where you shop.

essjemm

essjemmKillarney Vale

Terrible

clubped

clubpedSouth East Queensland, QLD

I drive small car with no ABS & commute 80kms a day. When things get 'hairy' the car goes where I point it & pulls up damn fast. I've just bought my second set of these. They do wear quicker than harder compound tyres but it is a very small price to pay for getting home intact.
Outstanding grip on wet roads, unbelievable grip on dry roads
Wear out a little quickly

AmarooMan

AmarooManAmaroo 2914, ACT

End of life report for Dunlop SP300E fitted to 2008 Aurion AT-X

Passenger Tyres

Find out how Dunlop SP Sport 300E compares to other Passenger Tyres

ObsessiveClothesWasher

ObsessiveClothesWasherAU

Sixty thousand kilometres without a problem

I've just had another set of these tyres put on after 60,000 kilometres of hassle free riding on the last pair. Really happy with how well they've worn (I could have put off replacing them for another thousand kilometres or so). A little more expensive than budget tyres, but well worth the expense.
Long wearing

Rich58

Rich58ADELAIDE

Has a lump you can feel under 40KMPH Grrrrrr

One of these has as a lump you can feel (and hear)under 40KMPH ( but you can't see it) dealer was no help after many trys to balance it out, I put it on the back and it is less noticeable but still there, never will buy Dunlop ever again because of it. These tyres are made in china just like many no name brand cheapys are, my goodyear are made in germany.. dunno if it means anythin, just saying.

Bit noisy, handles average,, wouldn't say sporty like it's name suggests.

Nick5050
Nick5050

Bought two new of these tyres 3 days ago put them on the front of my 3lt camry and can not get them balanced correctly although the machine says they are. The two older sport 300's I trook were ok. Feels bad at just over `108kmh.

dv004

dv004asked

Why does the dunlop sp sport 300 produce a humming sound between 60 and 80 kph.?

mavmarek
mavmarek

Most tyres make a humming noise at certain speeds and this is known as the 'resonant' frequency or resonant set of frequencies as it may be over a range of frequencies not just one.

Tyre manufacturers usually use "pitch" blocks in the tread pattern to try and move (humming as you describe) frequencies to a different frequency range that is inaudible or less irritating to the human ear - well so they say.

So, if the same tyre is installed on 2 different cars - one car may show up different resonance frequencies due to many possible factors including tyre pressure, vehicle weight, wheel alignment, sound deadening, other vehicle noise (such as engine noise, air intake noise, exhaust noise, etc.) that may cover up the resonant frequency, wheel base length, etc.

These tyres seem to be noisy in every car and especially in the XV40 Toyota Aurion (OEM tyre).

Prashant Joshi

Prashant Joshiasked

goodyear Assurance AG VS Dunlop SP Sport 300E, which do you think would be better for noise reduction, comfort drive and value for money?
Prashant

GPM
GPM

Hi Prashant,
I don't have experience with those Goodyears so I would base my decision on what others have said about them. However, I think the Dunlops are a good all-round tyre and I would buy them again if the price comparison was good. It's just that the mileage was not so good, so value suffers a bit. Noise and comfort I had no problem with, and I felt secure driving on the Dunlops.
Hope this helps