Dux Prodigy 4
See the Best Gas Hot Water Storage Systems in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by Dux

4.4
  • Smells of GasYes (0) · No (2)
  • Temperature Consistency
  • Heating Speed
Averil R.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Pilot light goes out A LOT

Since moving into our new house in 2014, the pilot light on our hot water service goes out constantly for weeks at a time before coming right for a while. I have had to relight it 6 times in 3 days in this latest bout of malfunction. The Dux service people replaced the thermocouple (at our cost) in 2016 and while there was some temporary reprieve from the issue, it has returned periodically ever since. It is beyond frustrating, especially given the additional repair cost already incurred that never fixed it properly. I expect a hot water service to stay on !

Purchased in September 2014.

Averil R.

Two Dux service people have failed to fix it.

Dux hot water broken after 6 month. Dux refuse to fix!!! do not BUY DUX.

I bought a DUX gas storage hot water system. It stopped working and started making a terrible whistling sound. My neighbour was disappointed due to noise and almost called the police. When I called DUX they refuse to fix it. DUX say over the phone without visiting the site that the problem water pressure and there is nothing they can do about it. A hot water system is supposed to last 8 years my one broken after 6 months. DUX refuse to fix it. Do not buy DUX. DUX look good value at bunnings but do not let DUX fool you like me.

Purchased in November 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for $1,200.00.

James M.
James M.
Chris D.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Fails 1 month after warranty finishes and Dux could not care less

Hot water service decided to explode from the top 27 days past the "warranty" period. Contacted Dux thinking they might have some half decent customer service however found the lady on the phone basically telling me bad luck out of warranty nothing we can do. Quality service that your units aren't exactly cheap and yet just after warranty it fails!!!!

Purchased in October 2013.

Chris D.

Sent you the info but still haven’t heard anything back in more then 10 days now

Crap heater

I would not buy A dux ever again and have advised everyone I know how poor these are and when it comes to after sale service don't bother cause they are not interested. Stay away from DUX it lasted 1 year and it has had problems ever since pay a bit extra and get a Rinnai.

Date PurchasedFeb 2015
shane
shane

Luke warm water

units was installed 2 years 4 months ago, so it is out of warranty.Gas keeps going out having to relight approx 2-3 times per day. It replaced an 18yo dux system that never gave any issues but packed it in finally. Replaced with the 135l prodigy system. Gas goes out all the time and their service agent tells me these systems are very poor quality. Another agent tells me he can modify to give no issues so I'm going with that option to save $2460 (modify is $90 + call out)

Date PurchasedApr 2016
Robert
RobertCecil Hills

Dux 170ZN Gas Water Heater

Coming into winter and no hot water
I would expect that a major item like a gas hot water heater would last longer than 5 years
Water is leaking everywhere and internal corrosion is evident at base
Not a good product made evident now by reading reviews
When you specialize in gas water heaters this is very disappointing from DUX

Date PurchasedMar 2013
Vin
VinGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Crack in the tank within 4 years

We had the Dux Prodigy 4 for 4 years before the tank started to leak. Contacted Dux who organised a plumber from Cavana Hot Water systems to inspect.
The plumber who attended said the tanks split at the bottom joint and it is a common manufacturing issue.
Dux organised a warranty replacement but I had to pay for the install which was around $800 which I felt was very expensive.
Retrospectively, I could have spent an extra $200 and purchased a brand new unit from another manufacturer with a full warranty. Lesson learnt I guess!

My experience, with customer service teams of Dux and Cavana, was terrible.

Keep away from them, if you can. Poor product quality + Poor customer service

Date PurchasedApr 2014

The top-rated kitchen appliances for 2020!

Nathan S.1 Nov 2019
the-top-rated-kitchen-appliances-for-2020
Fridge and Dishwasher Awards for 2020!

Wendy Z.12 Nov 2019
fridge-and-dishwasher-awards-for-2020

Avleen M.
Avleen M.23 July 2021

Not working properly since installed.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Poor lifespan

Sorry to say a very poor product - tank lining issue (water exits discoloured brown) a month after Dux's 5 year warranty ran out.

DUX not interested. Will pursue them in consumer affairs under statutory warranty. One would think that a HWS in excess of $1,000 should last longer than 5 years and one month

Date PurchasedJune 2012

SYDNEY
SYDNEY

Dux not worth your dollars

This product has never been reliable. We have contacted Dux sales team twice, the first time they refused to fix it (pilot light issue) and second time after using a bit of forceful negotiating they managed to send out two apprentices who were quick to point out it was leaking gas and piping was loose (we knew that already) and after wasting 170 litres of water and no hot water for three days, they fixed it. Every 3 months is the same story. Being a shift worker I expect to have continuous hot water available (this product doesn't and has never offered that!) While it is under warranty, Dux refuses to replace it. Do yourselves a favour: Don't buy Dux!

Date PurchasedFeb 2016

Terible workmenship /part

Dux H.Dux

Hi Safiya, We are sorry to hear of your experience, we would like to investigate this issue further, please email us at feedback@dux.com.au with reference number PRW145, please include your 12 digit serial number.
Thanks Dux After Sales.

ray.brown
ray.brownAU

For the 135z n. 11months post install and leaking over night

11months post install and it has started losing around 60 ml a night from the relief valve. Rang Dux and asked if this was normal, the answer person could not tell us if this was normal or not and refused to pass us through to anyone more technical who could help. They did say they could send plumber out to check the unit but if no fault found we would be libel for the callout fee >$130. And wanted credit card details before anyone was sent out. When we insisted on talking with a more technical person to see if the leakage was acceptable the phone call was disconnected.

Little to recommend it

Had it installed as part of a renovation. Worked ok for the first 6 months or so and then the pilot light starting going out intermittently. Have had the thermocoupler (I think) replaced under warranty but since then, pilot light is going out more regularly and when it is working, the water is warm at best, despite the thermostat set to hot. Am awaiting another warranty to callout which will hopefully fix it

pilot light going out, low temparature

Hi,
Please contact Dux if you do not hear from the service contractor who is re attending your property.
Please make note your reference number is PRW038.
Thanks Dux After Sales.

TEAMSydney, NSW

Didn't even last 3 months

Andrew W.asked
Prodigy 4

My Prodigy 4 gas water heater is about 15 months old. Few weeks ago I noticed each time I open or close water tap a loud bang coming out from the heater. Definitely it is coming out from the heater and not from water pipe. Is the banging indicate any fault within the heater? Will hammer silencer installed outside the heater solve the problem or the heater should be inspect by a technician?
The model number is 135ZB4N.
I will appreciate your advise.
Kind regards Andrew

Hi Andrew,

We would like to resolve this issue as soon as we can.

So we can understand the specific details can you please email through your full name, productreview username, best contact number, address where the unit is installed and serial number to help@dux.com.au so we can call you back, talk through the issue and try and resolve it for you?

Regards,

Andrew W.

Hi Did Team. Thank you for your prompt response.
My name is Andrew Wilczynski
Products review name Andrew W.
Contact number 0492888499
installation address 31 pridham street, maribyrnong, victoria.
Serial number 2002274500H
Kind regards
Andrew

Daniel G.
Daniel G.asked
Prodigy 4

Hay my prodigy 4 is about 4 years old and has a couple of faults, in fact when I went to light it to night, something went wrong and a huge burst of flames got my face and burnt off some of my hair and half my beard. Has this ever happened before???? And should I replace or try repair it thanks. Dan. !!!!!

Hi Daniel,

We'd be happy to assist you with your question.

If you can email through your name, phone number, address where the unit is installed, model number and serial number of the unit to help@dux.com.au it will be great.

Best Regards,

Irena M.asked
Prodigy 4

My Dux 135 l works fine until you turn it to 5 or 6 then it turns itself off? Why?

Hi Irena,

We are genuinely sorry this happened.

We have received your email about this issue together with the product details and your details as well.

I believed one of our staff already contacted you and warranty job has been raised. Please do let us know via email to help@dux.com.au after the agent attended the site and when the job is complete.

Regards,

Irena M.

Yes, it's been sorted now, thank you, great customer service :)

Hi Irena,

Thanks for being patient to us and we're glad we were able to resolve the issue for you.

Best Regards,

The Dux Team

Get an answer from our members and Dux representatives

Dux Prodigy 4

Dux Prodigy 4 135ZL
  • Discontinued

Dux Prodigy 4 135ZL

3.2
CategoryGas Hot Water Storage SystemsGas Hot Water Storage SystemsGas Hot Water Storage SystemsGas Hot Water Storage Systems
Release dateApr 2008Apr 2008
Replaced byDux Prodigy 4 135ZB4N/135ZB4P (135L)
Compare all 5 Dux Prodigy 4