Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Allergy

Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Allergy (page 2 of 6)

MPNs: 214891-01 and 36262391

Very heavy going

Update: Dyson customer service is much better than the new machine. They are having machine picked up and refunding total cost. There is a 30 day money back policy.
I found someone who will repair the old machine for less than $250. Will review that service when it is complete.

original review:
Large house. Wood floors. Tribal rugs. Carpet.
Took advice of customer service woman on phone about which model to buy when very old Dyson motor burned out. Dyson no longer has replacement parts, does not service old machines. I should have looked for an independent repair person!
Very strong suction certainly gets the dog hair and threads, dust etc.
BUT the combination of strong suction and the whirly-headed floor tool makes it almost impossible for me to vacuum the rugs. It requires a great deal of physical strength. If I hold the suction release trigger, it is better but then my hand cramps. There is no way to latch the trigger open.
It is not quite so bad on carpet but still very hard work. Bare floors are fine.
And the bin-cleaning arrangement is terrible. It is a real struggle to get the little plastic catch to latch onto the bottom of the bin and if you fail, next time you detach the bin, the base falls open and spills grot all over.
House is clean but I am exhausted and cranky!

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Good suction, some poor engineering

Having had a Dyson Animal for 15 years now being held together by duct tape in parts , we decided to upgrade. Went to get an Animal but the Allergy was on offer at Good Guys and had a free multi tool set so went with it.
Pros - good suction; picks up all dirt and dust, and most dog hairs; switches between carpet and hard floor;follows around nicely;cord a good length; no filter to clean; apparently self cleaning but not really had long enough to test.
Cons - extender tube static (covered in hair and dirt all the time); lack of tools (only made better with free car kit); poor design emptying procedure (whoever designed this has failed. Terrible design which relies on a tiny plastic nodule to hold all the vacuumed up stuff. More than one this has failed and all dirt has fallen out. Plus some weird red press lever thing that doesn't work well. Redesign needed. Much prefer a top opening please !)
**Update** April 2018. Plastic wheel fell off the main head! Rubbish. Less than 6 months old and probably only used 60 times. Anyway complained and Dyson are sending a replacement head. I predict that this vacuum will not have a long life span. PS that cylinder emptying system. It just doesn't work. Spent a while wrestling with it yesterday. :(

Great product

Very happy with this purchase, we tried but just couldn’t go past the Dyson! With animals in the house it definitely improved my allergies
The vacume is easy to use and lightweight doesn’t get stuck around corners and automatically fixes itself if it tips, perfect for our carpet and wooden floors without having to change heads, the only downside of the product would be the power cord is too short

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Great vacuum, easy to use.

When I first used this vacuum after purchasing, it picked up so much dust through my thick carpets, using the turbo head.. I couldn't be happier! When emptying it, the barrel is a little bit dicky trying to push back into place as it sometimes gets stuck.. But no real issues! Usually pretty easy to empty, and it has no filter, so no trouble having to clean out filters.. If you have the money, you're better off paying for something you know will last such as these Dyson Vacuums.

Noisy!

This is not as good as the DC02 it replaced! It sounds like you’re towing a jet engine around the house. I have a four bedroom house,tiled and bamboo floors and the turbo head sucks up, rattles and spits out anything larger than a tiny crumb! It doesn’t come with a hard floor attachment. Difficult to maneuver. So....rather disappointed.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

I hate it with a passion

This is not a allrounder vacuum. Cant do the car, cant do hard floors, Wife cant assemble. Powerhead get jammed on a toothpick or lego piece.Difficult the empty. losses suction when fuller. Heavy and does not roll well. What wre we thinking buying this junk. Worse vacuum ever owned. Doesnt pickup dog hair well Got my old Miele out of the Garage back on duty...

Date PurchasedNov 2017
Hi Frank & Estelle, Thank you for taking the time to review your machine and we are very sorry to hear that you feel this way. We would like to discuss this further and learn more of your situation, could you please call us on 1800 239 766 with your machine handy so we can assist? Our helpline is open Mon-Fri 8am-8pm and on the weekend 8.30am-4pm. Best wishes, Samuel Facebook.com/Dyson

Sucks - in a good way

This thing is a beast. Beats every othe vacuum I have ever owned in every department. The suction is aggressive but still allows total movement. It is well built, tough but still light enough for me to throw around as needed. The accessories all snap on easily and are super effective.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

The vacuum cleaner I have been waiting for

I bought this product after receiving good response from my friends. Never looses suction. Very good performance with carpets. I was specifically looking for a vacuum cleaner which has sufficient suction power due to dust allergy issues. The turbo brush attachment works exceptionally well picks up everything from floor. Felt bit heavy to maneuver but ok.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Excellent Choice

Carpet about 120 square meter and tiled floor 70 square meter. Fabulous. We have been having an in built vacuum system for 17 years and suction was horrible and Dyson has rectified everything what we have been looking for. It is easy to move around with. After vacuuming I feel that we are having a new carpet.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Great vacuum but not perfect!

Purchased the Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Allergy and have used it for about 5 months and it has been great. Suction is very strong, filterless design is great and have overall been very happy. The spinning motorhead is great especially on carpet and the additional tools are a nice touch. The bin is now easier to empty but this system is perfect. It requires a double push down which is annoying and would have rather used a mechanism simlar to the Dyson V8 with an upwards pull as opposed to the downwards push. The vacuum is also a bit heavy and does not follow you well on thick carpet. The plastic does also feel a bit cheap and I don't trust that it will last more than 5 years but we shall wait and see. At the end of the day, it is just another, improved Dyson with great suction but still has it flaws namely, the weak material choice and annoying bin empty design. I would recommend this only if you are able to get it on sale for a cheap price otherwise it's not worth the RRP.

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Great for hardfloors

Very quiet and easy to empty once full. The fact that it doesn't fall over makes it very easy to use. The only negatives would be that the original head is not good for carpet and the vacuum gets damaged if it hits the wall. All in all, worth the money.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Good little vac

Bought this for my mum to use in her little townhouse.
Perfect size for her needs and it work really well. It's light for her to hold and take it up and down the stairs. The only problem is because it's so small and also has such good suction she has to empty after every room, depending.

She uses it on carpet and on her floorboards, it does a great job on both. The head fits just under her couch so she can finally get under there without moving the whole thing.

It doesn't seem to have the power of our old full size Dyson but I am happy to trade power for manoeuvrability.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

It’s ok not as good as I hoped

Not as powerful as I hoped
Not as good as some of the older models
Bit pricey but shop around
Good on carpet n tiles
Looks good but bulky
Noisy and gets a lot of blockages. Easy to empty but flimsy sometime it can fall open without warning when emptying it

Date PurchasedAug 2016
Hi Lisa, Thank you for taking the time to review your machine. You can find a playlist of videos on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz1DDyUEJ0M&list=PLDfU9nMES75OfM6NhlG6XzEUjcvUE67G6 that you may find helps with clearing blockages and the general operation of your machine. Best wishes, Samuel Facebook.com/Dyson

This is the perfect vacuum cleaner!

The suction power on this vacuum cleaner is out of this world!
I have replaced and gone through so many vacuum cleaners from various companies. This is because I was hesitant to pay such a big price for a vacuum cleaner. But I am completely satisfied with the purchase because it cleans all my floors (Carpet/Tiles) very well. Its so easy to empty the dust bin aswell.

Also the Dyson Warranty Service is outstanding! I accidentally dropped the Vacuum and broke a plastic screw holding the wheel on. But Dyson told me to take it to the service center and fixed it in 2 business days.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

best vaccum

nice , easy to use,,,, , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,, ,, , ,,, , , ,, ,, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,, , ,, , , , ,, , , ,

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Disappointed

I purchased the Dyson Big Ball Allergy about six months ago. Since then we have adopted a Jack Russell dog. This vacuum cleaner really struggles with lifting dog hair. I am also disappointed with general dirt pick up compared to the Shark cleaner that I used to have. I was expecting much better performance

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Happy with purchase

Hi...I was looking for a cleaner that could help take out more from carpet. I was so surprised with the amount of dirt/dust coming up especially when I actually thought the carpet was clean to begin with.
The suction is great...its easy to move around and good on both carpet and vinyl.

I have no problem recommending this product....i am very happy

Superior vacuum

We were always hesitant to get a Dyson because of the price. With a new baby, a car, and carpeted floors however we made the investment. It’s definitely be worth it as it’s a far superior vacuum to any one I’ve ever owned. It really gets the dust and dirt out of the carpets. The bagless canister is easy to use and you save money not needed to replace the bags. No filters to clean either is a huge bonus. I recommend Dysons now to anyone in the market for a vacuum.

Date PurchasedMar 2016

Great Vacuum

Purchased the Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Allergy when there was a $100 off deal. Very happy with its cleaning power, the motorised head on carpet does an OUTSTANDING job. I have a dog that loses lots of hair and loves to lay on a thick pile rug. This would normally be quite difficult to clean, but the motorised head gets everything. I was also thoroughly surprised with how long the power cord is on the vacuum, its just enough to clean the important parts of the house without needing an extension lead, so that is a life saver. Only downside is hard floor performance, the motorised head flicks larger objects (e.g. grains of rice) which is rather frustrating. I am now looking at purchasing the dedicated hard floor tool Dyson offers, but for $60 it is a cop out on Dyson's part for not including it in such an expensive vacuum.

Does what was expected

Does the job and removes a lot of the dust issues that I had. The price is OK but the machine seems a little lacking in robustness and has taken a couple of knocks so far that it has not done well with. I would recommend it for allergies, but the better models probably do the same job.

Date PurchasedSep 2017
Hi Jim, Thanks for your review, to discuss any concerns or feedback with us, please reach out via email at askdyson@dyson.com.au and we will be happy to help you further. Best wishes, Mira Facebook.com/Dyson

See all Dyson Cinetic Big Ball reviews

We have a dyson cinetic big ball allergy ... the power head has just stopped working. We have dismantled and reassembled the head and there are no blockages and there are no blockages in the machine. It still has good suction, just the power brush is not working. Any ideas?
Hey, Make sure it's not tangled with hair or anything like that (cotton etc)Hi Mumof4boys. Thanks, we have done that too with no success.Hi Robert, I am sorry to hear about this. We would kindly ask you to email auaskdyson@dyson.com with your details and our Dyson Experts will be more than happy to help in getting this resolved. We look forward to hearing from you and assisting you. Best wishes, Shan

I have a Dyson 214891-01 Cinetic Big Ball Allergy Barrel Vacuum and recently bought a Dyson 920018 Swivel Hard Floor Attachment, but it does not fit my vacuum! This is despite it being advertised as "fits all models except DC01, DC21 Motorhead, DC23 Motorhead and cordless models". Is there an adapter to make it fit?
Hi Rain, Thank you for your query. In the box included with your Cinetic Big Ball machine at time of purchase, there is an adaptor included to allow use of accessories purchased at store. You can see it in use here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGAgc2Cw6wg If we can assist further, please just reach out via auaskdyson@dyson.com and we will be more than happy to help. Best wishes, Shan Facebook.com/Dyson

I have just brought this today, great suction lasted about 10 minutes, it already doesnt suck very well! Emptied it and checked for blockages (definatly not, because i only vacuumed a small area). This is so disappointing! Does anyone have advice?
I would take straight back to your retailer for an exchange.Hi Catherine, Thank you for reaching out. I am sorry to hear about this, understanding you have checked for blockages, we would encourage you to double check just in case. You can find our blockage checkpoints here: https://www.dyson.com.au/support/cy23_new/dyson-cinetic-big-ball-allergy/my-machine-is-not-working/checking-for-blockages-step-by-step-guide-dmft/removing-blockages-from-the-turbine-head If this doesn't solve the problem, please give our Dyson Experts a call on 1800 239 766 with your machine handy and we will be happy to help. Our team are available Monday - Friday 8 am - 8 pm and Saturday - Sunday 8:30 am - 4 pm AEDST. Best wishes, Shan Facebook.com/Dyson

Cinetic Big Ball Allergy