MPNs: 214890-01, 300278-01 and 36262389

Buying the best vacuum cleaner

Read now
Buying Guide Banner

• Product is used
  • Pet OwnerYes (18) · No (24)
  • Clogging Issues Yes (10) · No (31)

The worst Dyson vaccum ever?

The bin unclips itself constantly after being secured and after you've spent a good hour vacuuming the house it dispenses it's load onto the floor without notice...so, you have to vacuum the mess up twice. This is one of the worst design flaws i have ever seen and i had exactly the same issue on a V6 stick vacuum too. will never buy a Dyson again after this!

Purchased in March 2021 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores for $499.00.

Marc
Marc

Fantastic suction but thats it

The vacuum cleaner cleans wooden floors reasonably well though I do have to go over it more than once. I have to constantly lift and replace the floor tool as it is difficult to turn. The floor tool and the hose and connections are bulky and difficult to use, all very unintuitive.
Even with holding the (less suction clip) the suction is so strong cleaning carpets it is a fight from beginning to end.
I have already had the dust bin replaced as the tiny clip that holds it shut didn’t work, the new dust bin still has difficulties not popping open when I remove it for emptying.
I have so disliked using it I’ve vacuumed far less than I normally do.
I would not recommend this vacuum cleaner.

Purchased at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores for $599.00.

DysonDyson

Is not suitable for all floor types, despite the advertising saying so

This vacuum doesn't work on carpet at all - it leaves large clumps of hair and dust in its wake. I have now been told by support that this cleaner is not suitable for carpet, despite the website stating that the cleaner works on all floor types. Very disappointed at what a waste of money it has been - I am now looking at selling it and will buy another brand. The ball is also heavy and needs to be carried over wooden floors so it doesn't leave any scratches.

Purchased in October 2019.

Barrel Vacuum Cleaners

Find out how Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Multi Floor compares to other Barrel Vacuum Cleaners

Dale RobertsonSydney, NSW

Always had Dyson in last 20years and am disapointed

You take the barrel off every 2nd time and it opens on the floor, I make sure it's clicked in properly ( base to barrel) but it still does it. Is there a fix for this ??? any help would be appreciated

Purchased in September 2018 at Harvey Norman for $499.00.

DysonDyson

Thank you for reviewing your machine.

Please be assured this is not normal and the barrel should not open by itself. So we are able to assist you further please email auaskdyson@dyson.com and our experts will be in touch as soon as possible.

Dale Robertson

Thank you for all your assistance, the new bin has fixed the problem and i am still a Dyson customer thanks again and have a great Christmas

AcheyGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Not a good choice

Too heavy and cumbersome to move. End up carrying it around the house - which is not ideal. Worst point is that it does not actual suck up the dirt. It kind of pushes everything around and ends up with in clumps, which I guess is easier to pick up. I have no idea why people rave over this brand. Could not be more disappointed.

Purchased in September 2020.

Achey

Hair is not a problem... if it only was so easy. Isn't it a shame that a machine that is called 'multi floor extra' requires extra attachments to work???

Rosie

RosieSydney, NSW

Scratching My Timber Floors

The suction is quite good on the vacuum cleaner and I like the fact that it is quite compact, however, it is scratching my timber floors and I can no longer use this vacuum cleaner on the timber floors which make up the majority of the flooring in my house.

Purchased in January 2017 for $699.00.

DysonDyson

We certainly wouldn't expect any difficulties using your machine on hard floors and are keen to assist.

Please forward your review, details, and serial number of your machine to auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be happy to assist.

Audric A.

Audric A.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Great suction, but starts to leave scratches on wooden floor

I have this Dyson for quite a while now, but since a few weeks it leaves a scratches on my wooden floor.

It looks like the shoe cover below the MuscleHead has become too thin to not make the whole head run without rubbing the floor and leave marks.
Even after putting the head on the minimum suction, it still leaves mark.

I end up not using it anymore. That's a shame because it's my first Dyson.

DysonDyson

We certainly don't design any Dyson machine to do this and are keen to assist.

Please forward your review, details and photos to auaskdyson@dyson.com and we will be in touch ASAP to assist.

Dyson that didn't live up to it's claims.

I had my Dyson for about 3 years. From the start, I wasn't a fan with my Dyson. I hated cleaning the dust bin. The dirt would stick to the top of the unit. I would have to pull the dirt out and tap it to shake the fine dust out. The dirt at the top of the unit would stick and I would have to rub it off. Recently the suction power has weakened, almost to no suction at all. I empty the dust bin after every use and I still experience loss of suction. It's messy and unpleasant to clean the dust bin. My Dyson was a disappointment and didn't live up to it's claims. I'm going to buy a different kind of vacuum, that I don't have to work so hard to clean.

Purchased in March 2017.

Robin R.

Robin R.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Doesn’t work well for cars and carpets

I found the suction very poor, does not get the sand off the car carpets and mats easily. My old Electrolux was far better for less than half the price. Also on carpets, it does a poor job with pet hair, it just gathers them into a big ball of hair in front of the head. Very disappointed and planning on returning it ASAP

Purchased in June 2020 at Costco for $499.00.

Irene

IreneSydney, NSW

Great vacuum

I used this vacuum for carpet dan floor wood also tile.
Works good and suction.
Its still good until today after 3 years.
Most product dying after 2 years of using.
Worth the money.

Purchased in June 2017.

Tony.

Tony.South East Queensland, QLD

Not impressed!

Purchased the Bigball multifloor after the old Dyson DC37 finally stopped after years of faithful service. Thought I'd upgrade to a better machine with this unit. Wrong!
If it's called multifloor why is it not good on carpet? Suction is great but the stupid pneumatic head is a waste of time and useless. It just leaves a clump of dog hair either in front when pushing or behind when pulling.
Contacted Dyson and was told I could buy another more suitable head for $140.
Why would I do that when I've just spent $500 on a "multifloor" vacuum?
Save your money and buy an old 37, wish I had.

Purchased in May 2020 for $499.00.

Product is usedWeekly

Andrew2Far West, NSW

Design disaster do not buy

The multi floor head is a constant struggle. It makes vacuuming carpets a nightmare. Instead of gliding over the carpet like every other vacuum I have ever used this thing lowers the blue strips that are supposed to be brushes and drags badly. Pushing the head is not possible. You have to lift, place it in position and pull heavily towards you.
The top handle is downright stupid. because it is a loop above the tube, it twists your wrist badly.

Purchased in July 2016 at Harvey Norman for $690.00.

Jayden G.

Jayden G.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Disappointed

Works great on tiles, struggles on carpet floors. Has anyone else found it just doesn’t pick a great deal up on carpet floors? I have tried all settings and find I am constantly picking up after it like I do for my infant child. I’ve previously owned older model Dyson that worked great on carpet. Disappointed.

Purchased in January 2020 for $500.00.

Siggy NowakSouth East Queensland, QLD

Dyson crap

The musclehead of this vacuum cleaner is total rubbish - ridiculously designed. We have had other Dyson vacuum cleaners which were well designed, but this one really "sucks." Suction is so great the muscle head sticks to the the carpet and scratches the polished floors even on the low suction setting. It's not called a "muscle head" for nothing!! So brutal to move - needs to be more like a hovercraft than a limpid clam. The designers certainly need to go back to the drawing boards. Meanwhile here I am cursing and looking for an alternative head with bristles instead of hard plastic ribbing.

Purchased at Harvey Norman for $700.00.

Siggy Nowak

The on/off switch is flimsy and yes the canister emptying mechanism needs more work. For a $700+ vacuum cleaner Dyson is going backwards on this one. Surely no-one has tested it with real people.

DysonDyson

Going away from basics - a failed model

Purchased in June 2019 at David Jones.

Phoebe S.

Phoebe S.

Nothing to fault! Amazing!

i use this vacuum daily on a number of floor types, wood and tile being the main two. It has never let me down. My family have been customers of Dyson our entire lives and refuse to use anything else. There quality is amazing and dealing with complaint, purchases or anything else is always smooth and a positive experience.

Purchased at Harvey Norman for $500.00.

Dianne

DianneMurray Region, NSW

Not worth the money

Very disappointed with the overall quality and performance. Not enough variation in suction. Emptying the canister is not easy and has often clicked open as it is taken out of it's holder. The on/off switch is too small as is the cord rewind. Vacuum rod is too large and difficult to use. Attachments are poorly designed for the purpose intended.

Purchased in October 2019 at The Good Guys for $499.00.

Popples

PopplesCurtin 2605, ACT

Not Great.

Was initially happy with this cleaner. Had issues with the multi floor head after about 12 months of use, it kept lifting off the floor and losing suction. Dyson kindly replaced the head, but with a different one, not the same as came with the purchase. Whether its the new head or not,bit seems to have loss suction, skims over the floor without picking up dirt/dust. Have previously been a Vax user but went with a Dyson on friend and family recommendations. Should have stuck with a Vax.

Purchased in August 2018 at JB Hi-Fi for $499.00.

DysonDyson

We can confirm auaskdyson@dyson.com is our email address, however this may need to be written into a new email as opposed to copying and pasting. Apologies for any confusion.

JB Melbourne

JB MelbourneGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Not as good as my original Dyson

My first Dyson nearly 10 years ago was amazing, this one is still good on hard floors (where I could use a broom) but a real struggle to get carpet clean. I have to scrub the carpet then often pick up a ball of fluff or kids hair my hand & feed it into the suction. Its mildly better than my $70 Aldi special but nearly 10x the price. No its not blocked just ineffective on carpet. Surely I dont have to spend 100s extra on an animal head to actually pick anything up from the carpet? I persisted for 3 months as I was so excited to have a Dyson again but now I just want my money back and a vacuum that works on carpet! Oh, and emptying it is a nightmare, dust everywhere from the cheap plastic release button that often gets stuck!

Purchased in September 2019 at The Good Guys for $499.00.

Brian FNorth-West & West coast, TAS

Disappointed as there is a filter in the apparently filterless vacuum!

Purchased in April 2017 for $550.00.

See all Dyson Cinetic Big Ball reviews

Cindy b

Cindy basked

Cinetic Big Ball Multi Floor

I purchased my Dyson cinetic big ball vac in Feb .I am having trouble with the 360 swivel head it keeps clicking out of its place like it is broken it doesn’t seem to lock in . It makes it then impossible to vacuum ,The suction is also extreme and makes it very hard to push on carpet leaving balls of fluff. I do not have pets so no excuse for a lot of hair on my floor, Please advise as I am extremely disappointed

DysonDyson

Hi Cindy, thank you for your question and we are sorry to hear this is happening.

Please be assured our machines come with a 2 year Dyson guarantee, we'd recommend to reach out to our helpline via phone email or live chat through https://www.dyson.com.au/support/contact-us.

In regards to the suction one of our experts will ask you a few questions regarding your flooring and provide you the best resolution moving forward.

Rosie

Rosieasked

Cinetic Big Ball Multi Floor

I have the Dyson big ball multi floor, when I use it on the timber floors it is leaving a rubber streak everywhere.
It looks like scratches but when I rub it comes away. I can’t really walk around the whole house afterwards rubbing off all the marks. I’ve tried adjusting the suction.
Has anyone else had this problem?

Hi Rosie,

Thank you for your query.

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing rubber left on your floor. This is certainly not what we expect from any Dyson machine.

We would kindly ask you to email auaskdyson@dyson.com with your details and our Dyson Experts will be in touch and happy to assist.

We look forward to hearing from you and assisting.

Best wishes,

Shan

Marz

Marzasked

Cinetic Big Ball Multi Floor

Hi I am having trouble trying to find a head floor brush for this vacuum. Any suggestion where to find one?

Hi there,

Thank you for your query, we are happy to help.

While the Musclehead included with your machine will work across both carpets and hard floors, should you prefer a separate hard floor tool please be assured there is one available. To order, please give our Dyson Experts a call on 1800 239 766 with your machine handy. Our team are available Monday - Friday 8am - 7pm and Saturday - Sunday 8:30am - 4pm EDST.

We look forward to hearing from you and assisting.

Best wishes,

Shan

See all Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Multi Floor questions

Get an answer from our members and Dyson representatives

Compare all 8 Dyson Cinetic Big Ball