Dyson Cinetic Big Ball

Dyson Cinetic Big Ball

Multi Floor, Animal Pro, Animal, etc...

Buying the best vacuum cleaner

Read now

2.6

• Product is used
  • Pet OwnerYes · No (54)
  • Clogging Issues Yes (6) · No (47)

Is not suitable for all floor types, despite the advertising saying so

This vacuum doesn't work on carpet at all - it leaves large clumps of hair and dust in its wake. I have now been told by support that this cleaner is not suitable for carpet, despite the website stating that the cleaner works on all floor types. Very disappointed at what a waste of money it has been - I am now looking at selling it and will buy another brand. The ball is also heavy and needs to be carried over wooden floors so it doesn't leave any scratches.

Purchased in October 2019.

unsatisfied customer

unsatisfied customerSydney, NSW

2nd review after owning for 6 months

Purchased at Harvey Norman for A$599.00.

Floor TypeCarpet, Linoleum, Tiles and Wood
Clogging IssuesYes
Rosie

RosieSydney, NSW

Scratching My Timber Floors

The suction is quite good on the vacuum cleaner and I like the fact that it is quite compact, however, it is scratching my timber floors and I can no longer use this vacuum cleaner on the timber floors which make up the majority of the flooring in my house.

Purchased in January 2017 for A$699.00.

DysonDyson

We certainly wouldn't expect any difficulties using your machine on hard floors and are keen to assist.

Please forward your review, details, and serial number of your machine to auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be happy to assist.

Audric A.

Audric A.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Great suction, but starts to leave scratches on wooden floor

I have this Dyson for quite a while now, but since a few weeks it leaves a scratches on my wooden floor.

It looks like the shoe cover below the MuscleHead has become too thin to not make the whole head run without rubbing the floor and leave marks.
Even after putting the head on the minimum suction, it still leaves mark.

I end up not using it anymore. That's a shame because it's my first Dyson.

Floor TypeWood
DysonDyson

We certainly don't design any Dyson machine to do this and are keen to assist.

Please forward your review, details and photos to auaskdyson@dyson.com and we will be in touch ASAP to assist.

Completely Useless

Purchased in March 2020 at Noel Leeming for A$700.00.

Floor TypeCarpet, Linoleum and Wood
Clogging IssuesYes

Dyson that didn't live up to it's claims.

I had my Dyson for about 3 years. From the start, I wasn't a fan with my Dyson. I hated cleaning the dust bin. The dirt would stick to the top of the unit. I would have to pull the dirt out and tap it to shake the fine dust out. The dirt at the top of the unit would stick and I would have to rub it off. Recently the suction power has weakened, almost to no suction at all. I empty the dust bin after every use and I still experience loss of suction. It's messy and unpleasant to clean the dust bin. My Dyson was a disappointment and didn't live up to it's claims. I'm going to buy a different kind of vacuum, that I don't have to work so hard to clean.

Purchased in March 2017.

saphire

saphireAdelaide

Not worth the money, unlike older Dysons. Design flaws plague this model.

Purchased in May 2016 at Dyson for A$599.25.

Product is usedMonthly
Kate

KateSydney

Avoid Dyson Barrel vacuums- you'll end up carrying the heavy barrel in your other hand.

Purchased in June 2020 at David Jones Online Store for A$397.00.

Floor TypeCarpet
Alexis

AlexisSydney, NSW

Ideal for small fall and on carpet and tiled surfaces

I used this in a 57sq m carpeted flat and on a tiled bathroom floor and tiled balcony. It is easy to manipulate and manoeuvre. The powerful suction left surfaces dust free. The ejection of debris is easy and the multiple fittings are ideal for all areas. Recommended.

Purchased in June 2020 at Harvey Norman for A$650.00.

KC

KCGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

not as good as the older models

Have been using dyson vacuum for the past twenty years, this is the worst model that I ever had. First, the new quick-release mechanism doesn't work well. Its hard to release or connect it to the main hose or wand. And then the worst part is to empty the container bin. The red release button doesn't really pushes dirt out or the barrel, alot of the time the dirt/dust get stucked at the top of the barrel and need to remove it by hand. Also the opening lid will cover of dust when emptying, so cleaning the lid (especially the plastic rubber seal) is required.

Purchased in May 2020 at The Good Guys for A$449.00.

Esther

EstherPaekakariki

Broke just a few months after purchase

I was happily vacuuming the carpet just over 5 months after buying it on boxing Day sales and it snapped broken in my hand. The big extended tube links with a piece to the handle, that piece is glued or fused somehow and it's become unglued. Customer care were nice after an 8' wait on the phone but even though another part will be sent to my home it will take up to 14 days and Customer care representative offered no solution as to how I can manage without vacuuming in the meantime.

Really disappointed that I finally decide to go for the reputable and expensive Dyson brand and it lasts the least of all the vacuum cleaners I have ever had.

Hoping this is not the first of a series of breakdowns and it's just a one off.

Purchased in December 2019 at Noel Leeming Online store for A$350.00.

TAO1

TAO1Auckland

Frustrating

I wanted to love my Dyson but I don’t. I expected more for the price. The suction is good but the fact that the dust container lid pops open occasionally by itself spilling dust everywhere is a huge downside. Dyson keeps saying it’s not supposed to do that but the fact that many reviews complain about this might indicate that it is a design flaw. Very annoying. Wish you would just accept it’s an issue and fix this.

Purchased at Noel Leeming for A$799.00.

jak2015

jak2015Perth, WA

Very little power. No comparison to older Dyson models.

Have only had this vacuum for 8 days and I hate it.

I'm so disappointed. It has very poor suction compared to the DC25 that I have had for 10 years (that was still working up until a fortnight ago).

The vacuum head skips on the carpet every time you pull it back, unless at exactly right angle.

The switch for hard floor or carpet changes on its own while vaccuuming.

When I spoke to Dyson they suggested I buy a different head for it. The part is $135.

If the retailer had a money back guarantee, I would be returning it.

Purchased in May 2020 at Harvey Norman for A$399.00.

Irene

IreneSydney, NSW

Great vacuum

I used this vacuum for carpet dan floor wood also tile.
Works good and suction.
Its still good until today after 3 years.
Most product dying after 2 years of using.
Worth the money.

Purchased in June 2017.

Elina S.

Elina S.Sydney, NSW

Poor suction. Very disappointed.

Very poor suction through the head.not worth the money. Used on hard floor and carpet. Carpet head was slightly better than the hard floor one but suction still not adequate.

Purchased in May 2020 at Dyson for A$499.00.

Floor TypeWood

mib0004

mib0004Hunter Region, NSW

Very disappointed, not worth the money.

We bought this Dyson after having 15 years faithful service from our previous Dyson.
We are extremely disappointed with the Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Animal Pro.
The problem with this one is mostly the emptying motion. It is like some fancy designer who has never used one got the contract. The bottom flops open and the barrel moves down just enough to cover the fine mesh filter making it difficult to clean out. Then it doesn't always clip back together properly. I am also wondering for the price why did they become so stingy with the cord length. It is about 2m shorter than the old unit and never seems to be just long enough.
The current Dyson cleaners are nowhere near the quality of earlier models. I would never buy one again.

Purchased in January 2019 at Betta Home Living for A$900.00.

Floor TypeTiles and Wood

Andrew2Far West, NSW

Design disaster do not buy

The multi floor head is a constant struggle. It makes vacuuming carpets a nightmare. Instead of gliding over the carpet like every other vacuum I have ever used this thing lowers the blue strips that are supposed to be brushes and drags badly. Pushing the head is not possible. You have to lift, place it in position and pull heavily towards you.
The top handle is downright stupid. because it is a loop above the tube, it twists your wrist badly.

Purchased in July 2016 at Harvey Norman for A$690.00.

Jayden G.

Jayden G.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Disappointed

Works great on tiles, struggles on carpet floors. Has anyone else found it just doesn’t pick a great deal up on carpet floors? I have tried all settings and find I am constantly picking up after it like I do for my infant child. I’ve previously owned older model Dyson that worked great on carpet. Disappointed.

Purchased in January 2020 for A$500.00.

Siggy NowakSouth East Queensland, QLD

Dyson crap

The musclehead of this vacuum cleaner is total rubbish - ridiculously designed. We have had other Dyson vacuum cleaners which were well designed, but this one really "sucks." Suction is so great the muscle head sticks to the the carpet and scratches the polished floors even on the low suction setting. It's not called a "muscle head" for nothing!! So brutal to move - needs to be more like a hovercraft than a limpid clam. The designers certainly need to go back to the drawing boards. Meanwhile here I am cursing and looking for an alternative head with bristles instead of hard plastic ribbing.

Purchased at Harvey Norman for A$700.00.

Siggy Nowak

The on/off switch is flimsy and yes the canister emptying mechanism needs more work. For a $700+ vacuum cleaner Dyson is going backwards on this one. Surely no-one has tested it with real people.

DysonDyson

Going away from basics - a failed model

Purchased in June 2019 at David Jones.

See all Dyson Cinetic Big Ball reviews

Heather L.

Heather L.asked

Cinetic Big Ball Animal Pro

Where are the filters

DysonDyson

Your Dyson Cinetic Big Ball machine features Dyson Cinetic Science which means it has no filters you need to wash, replace or change. Just empty the bin when the dust reaches the MAX line to ensure it performs as it should (you can see how to do this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDs8l7msca0)

While there is a post motor filter built into the ball, this filter is designed to last the lifetime of your machine with no need for maintenance.

If we can assist further, please get in touch with our Dyson Experts via auaskdyson@dyson.com, we are happy to help.

If you are not in Australia, please visit www.dyson.com and press "Contact Us" for the local contact information of the Dyson helpline in your area.

Kylee

Kyleeasked

Cinetic Big Ball Animal

Why does mine smell bad when it has never been wet or vacuumed up wet material? How do you clean it thoroughly?

DysonDyson

If a smell is coming from your machine, this can indicate either something with a strong scent or some dust containing a high moisture content has been vacuumed up. We recommend carrying out the following steps which may dispel any odour.

After emptying you may rinse the clear bin in cold water, ensuring that no detergents are used. Please don't remove the seals whilst washing the clear bin and most importantly ensure that the clear bin is completely dry before placing back onto the machine. Please note that the cyclone top assembly, which attaches on top of the bin, must be removed and is not washable. You can find instructions on how to remove the cyclone here: https://support.dyson.com.au/supportHome.aspx/Vacuums/Cylinders/Dyson-Cinetic-Big-Ball/214892-01/maintaining-your-dyson-machine/cleaning-the-bin

We also recommend to let the hose, floor tool and wand of your machine air out for 24-48 hours, ideally somewhere safe, dry and sunny.

If you find the odour persists, or we can assist further, please call us on 1800 239 766 with your machine handy. Our helpline is open Monday - Friday 8am - 7pm and Saturday - Sunday 8:30am - 4pm.

Darren
Darren

our Big Ball Animal Dyson started exhausting a foul smell as well.
Turned out it was the cyclone filter system. Despite emptying the bin out and cleaning it thoroughly, it still smelt horrible

I ended up completely disassembling the cyclone filter (BIG job) and found a huge amount of muck stuck inside all over the filter and the air jets. Some were completely clogged. Turned out my partner had used one of those carpet cleaning powders which I think are slightly damp as well. It's gone through the entire filter system and gummed it all up inside. I had to pull the entire filter apart and clean all the parts individually. I then soaked all the parts in a mix of water and mild detergent overnight. Dried it all out with compressed air and then re-assembled. Smell is now gone and suction is as good as new now.

We since found out that you should never use powder carpet cleaners in bag-less vacuums.... lesson learned. Fortunately it seems the powder didn't make it to the motor, which seems to have survived.....

kraayclan

kraayclanasked

Cinetic Big Ball

my new dyson big ball origin head doesn't seem to pick up dirt rather it just pushes it around causing me to have to lift the head up and place it down on top of dust to get it clean

Mindab1980
Mindab1980

I had the same problem.
l had to purchase a carbon fibre turbine head of the Dyson website. Not ideal to fork out an extra $120 but now I get a really good clean.

DysonDyson

Any debris too large to fit under the floor tool may be pushed along the floor. For larger debris such as this, we would encourage either placing the floor tool directly on top of the debris, or removing the floor tool and using the included combination tool to clean these up.

If we can assist further, our Dyson Experts are available via auaskdyson@dyson.com and happy to help.

Get an answer from our members and Dyson representatives

Compare all 8 Dyson Cinetic Big Ball
CategoryBarrel Vacuum CleanersBarrel Vacuum CleanersBarrel Vacuum CleanersBarrel Vacuum Cleaners
Price (RRP) A$999.00A$899.00A$799.00A$699.00
HEPA FilterNoNoNoNo
Weight11.34 kg11.04 kg10.67 kg10.55 kg
TypeBaglessBaglessBaglessBagless
Cord Length6.6 m6.6 m6.6 m6.6 m
Suction (Air Watts)250 AW250 AW250 AW250 AW
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)
Release dateApr 2016Apr 2016Apr 2016Apr 2016